Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

WKRP in Cincinnati links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / WKRP in Cincinnati Photo Gallery

WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete First Season

Buy WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete First Season on DVD
WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Second Season

Buy WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Second Season on DVD
WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Third Season

Buy WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Third Season on DVD
WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Final (Fourth) Season

Buy WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Final (Fourth) Season on DVD
WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series

Buy WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > WKRP in Cincinnati

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: The Conners Second Season Looking Likely; Apple to Produce New Peanuts Content
Fri-Yay: Where Will The Good Place Go Next?; Everything's Gonna Be Okay at Freeform
ABC Mid-Season 2019 Schedule; Amy Sedaris Laffer Returns Feb. 19 on truTV
ABC Picks Up Comedy Starring Lake Bell, Dax Shepard; EPIX Dark Comedy Gets 3rd Season
Lifetime Brings in the Stars for Winter Movies; Celebs Line Up for CBS All Access' Twilight Zone
HBO Comedy Crashing Returns for Season 3; Nick Sitcom Starts Jan. 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 10, 2018)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection Alice - The Complete Eighth Season Step by Step - The Complete Third Season

10/02 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 6th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 7th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 8th Season
10/02 - Ghosted - The Complete First Season
10/02 - The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One / Volume Two
10/02 - Police Squad! - TV and Movie Collection
10/02 - Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection
10/16 - Community - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/23 - Alice - The Complete Eighth Season
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Two
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Three
10/31 - The Bad News Bears - The Complete Series - All 26 Episodes
11/01 - Episodes - Season 5
11/05 - Robin Williams - Comic Genius (includes Mork & Mindy)
11/06 - American Dad! - Volume 13
11/16 - Man with a Plan - Season One
11/20 - Step by Step - The Complete Third Season
11/27 - What I Like About You - The Complete Third Season
12/04 - Family Guy - Season Sixteen
12/04 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Sixth Season
12/18 - Our Cartoon President - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 08-21-2011, 05:16 PM   #1
Brian Damage
I'm Rich Bitch
Forum Legend

Location: What Ain't No Country I Ever Heard Of...They Speak English in What?
Send a message via AIM to Brian Damage
Madderest 'WKRP' Is The Most Unjustifiably Canceled Show of All Time!!!

Never realized this factoid about WKRP, but if it is 100% true, then the title of this thread stands pat!

Soon after WKRP was cancelled in June of 1982, summer reruns of the series shot into the top ten and stayed there throughout the summer. The reason, most likely, was that after CBS executives cancelled the show, they stopped moving it around the schedule; they left it in one time slot for the whole summer, and viewers finally knew where to find it. The last CBS broadcast of WKRP was # 1 in its timeslot, and # 7 in the ratings for the week.

- According to one book (whose title I currently forget but which I'll locate as soon as possible), CBS executives attempted to bring back WKRP after the summer reruns took off, but by that time it was too late; Howard Hesseman, Loni Anderson and Gary Sandy had all become involved with other projects.

Money Doesn't Buy Happiness...But I'd Rather Cry in My Private Jet
Brian Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:35 PM   #2
TV_on_the_Porch
anything good on?
Forum Regular

Yes, it did so well that it lifted Private Benjamin into the top ten too. When WKRP went off the air that boost evaportated and PB fell from the upper ten to the low forties within the month.

The real question is why CBS wouldn't just leave it on Monday. Except for the fall of '78 it always did well in that Monday slot. Every time CBS f'd up and moved it to another night, the audience always found it when it was moved back to Monday.
TV_on_the_Porch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:10 PM   #3
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

I agree with you both, but at least the show went out at the top of its game with all the original regulars still intact. Had it gone on longer, the network would've found a way to stick its nose into things, cast members would've started to leave, and the show's quality would've suffered. Just my two cents!!!

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
catlover79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 05:01 PM   #4
Jamey Greek
Forum Regular

KRP had a couple more seasons going for it.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:37 PM   #5
Jamey Greek
Forum Regular

I do wish WKRP was revived in syndication between the cancellation by CBS in 1982 and the NEW WKRP. Someone actually approached MTM twice and inquired sbout reviving WKRP but MTM turned him down.
Jamey Greek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 05:43 PM   #6
opus
VB
Forum Veteran

Location: New York; but ideally Apt. 402 in Indy (for 8 years)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Damage
- According to one book (whose title I currently forget but which I'll locate as soon as possible), CBS executives attempted to bring back WKRP after the summer reruns took off, but by that time it was too late; Howard Hesseman, Loni Anderson and Gary Sandy had all become involved with other projects. [/b]
This book?

Name:  12764824_1137948196235932_2928600282993917781_o.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  41.5 KB
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:57 PM   #7
Svenfan1234
Carole King = Queen of Music
Forum Veteran

WKRP should have ran for a fifth season. It had a long life ahead of it
And take your soul if you let them,
Oh, but don't you let them

Carole King, You've Got a Friend
Svenfan1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:39 PM   #8
Jamey Greek
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svenfan1234
WKRP should have ran for a fifth season. It had a long life ahead of it
Agreed it had a couple more seasons going for it. I think Grant Tinker should have snatched it up for a couple more seasons on NBC and it would have been perfect for Must See TV! Perfect Slot too! Between Gimme a Break and Cheers!
Old 01-31-2017, 09:07 PM   #9
Jamey Greek
Forum Regular

Better yet after it too kind off in syndication I think it should have been revived in the 80s with Hugh Wilson as showrunner.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:54 AM   #10
glickmam
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Damage
Never realized this factoid about WKRP, but if it is 100% true, then the title of this thread stands pat!

Soon after WKRP was cancelled in June of 1982, summer reruns of the series shot into the top ten and stayed there throughout the summer. The reason, most likely, was that after CBS executives cancelled the show, they stopped moving it around the schedule; they left it in one time slot for the whole summer, and viewers finally knew where to find it. The last CBS broadcast of WKRP was # 1 in its timeslot, and # 7 in the ratings for the week.

- According to one book (whose title I currently forget but which I'll locate as soon as possible), CBS executives attempted to bring back WKRP after the summer reruns took off, but by that time it was too late; Howard Hesseman, Loni Anderson and Gary Sandy had all become involved with other projects.
You know something, that probably also explains why it didn't move to NBC after CBS cancelled it.
glickmam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 01:56 AM   #11
glickmam
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamey Greek
Agreed it had a couple more seasons going for it. I think Grant Tinker should have snatched it up for a couple more seasons on NBC and it would have been perfect for Must See TV! Perfect Slot too! Between Gimme a Break and Cheers!
Well, as mentioned above, Howard Hesseman, Loni Anderson, and Gary Sandy were already involved with other projects. At that rate, Grant Tinker probably had too much respect for the program to just offer up replacements for them.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:59 AM   #12
glickmam
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover79
I agree with you both, but at least the show went out at the top of its game with all the original regulars still intact. Had it gone on longer, the network would've found a way to stick its nose into things, cast members would've started to leave, and the show's quality would've suffered. Just my two cents!!!
Not only that, but the potential fifth season scripts were now dealing with the problems of trying to run a "successful" station, rather than the "unsuccessful" station that WKRP was always supposed to be. To me, that would have just ultimately ruined the dynamic of the show.

Last edited by glickmam; 07-28-2017 at 09:58 PM.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:16 PM   #13
Jamey Greek
Forum Regular

Times like this when I wish the internet was around in 1982 and we could have written CBS or wrote ABC or NBC to pick up the show.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:46 PM   #14
Yong Fang

From what I have read, the brass of CBS didn't like WKRP for whatever reason and moved it around the schedule to try to kill it, but being that it was an MTM Enterprises series, didn't want to cancel it outright to ruin CBS' relationship with MTM. So they moved it around the schedule to confuse the viewers so in the end they could go to MTM and state that ratings were the issue, even though it was them who sabotaged the show.

I think the show had one more year to it. Actually the "New WKRP" syndicated show wasn't bad and Howard Hesseman was actually a semi-regular on that show, and the new supporting characters were not that bad.
Yong Fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:23 AM   #15
Jamey Greek
Forum Regular

Actually I think it had a couple more seasons going for it