Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Antenna TV's Alice Labor Day Marathon; NBC App Adds Saved by the Bell and Heroes
Fresh off the Boat Launches Sept. 1 on UPtv; New Sabrina Begins Oct. 26 on Netflix
Netflix Gets Paul Rudd Comedy from IFC; Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj Coming to Netflix
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of August 13, 2018)
SitcomOnline Digest: Discussions Underway for New Seasons of The Big Bang Theory and Modern Family; Trial & Error Looking for Home for Third Season
Fri-Yay: Orange Is the New Black Season 6: A Tightrope Between Comedy and Drama; King of the Hill Labor Day Marathon on Comedy Central
Antenna TV's Coach Back-to-Football Bowl; Nick Drama Returns for Season 2 in September
ION Television Acquires Chicago P.D.; TCA Summer 2018 Press Tour: ABC

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July/August)

Alice - The Complete Seventh Season Green Acres - The Final (Sixth) Season The Last Man on Earth - The Complete Fourth Season The Good Place - The Complete Second Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Five

06/05 - Living Single - The Complete Fifth Season
06/05 - New Girl - The Complete Sixth Season
06/05 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-First Season (Blu-ray)
06/12 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fourth Season
06/12 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Third Season
06/12 - The Office - The Complete Series
06/12 - Speechless - The Complete First Season
06/12 - Speechless - The Complete Second Season
06/12 - Step by Step - The Complete First Season
06/12 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season One (Blu-ray)
06/19 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fourth Season
06/26 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Fifth Season
06/26 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Sixth Season
06/26 - The Mick - The Complete First Season
06/26 - The Mick - The Complete Second Season
07/03 - New Girl - The Final (Seventh) Season
07/10 - Alice - The Complete Seventh Season (WBShop.com)
07/10 - The Bill Engvall Show - The Complete First Season (WBShop.com)
07/10 - Green Acres - The Final (Sixth) Season
07/10 - The Last Man on Earth - The Complete Fourth Season
07/17 - Cooper Barrett's Guide to Surviving Life - The Complete Series
07/17 - The Good Place - The Complete Second Season
07/17 - Son of Zorn - The Complete Series
08/07 - Happy Endings - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
08/28 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Five
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-29-2009, 03:17 AM   #1
Family Ties Forever!
Forum Veteran

Post You Might Not Get Mail On Tuesdays Anymore

I hope they don't cut a day of mail delivery.

Quote:
link

Postmaster Gen'l: Mail Delivery Could Be Cut
Agency Could Cut One Day Of Delivery

Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Stock Xchng
Washington -- Massive deficits could force the post office to cut out one day of mail delivery per week, the postmaster general told Congress on Wednesday.

Postmaster General John E. Potter asked lawmakers to lift the requirement that the agency deliver mail six days a week.

Faced with dwindling mail volume and rising costs, the post office was $2.8 billion in the red last year and, "if current trends continue, we could experience a net loss of $6 billion or more this fiscal year," Potter said in testimony for a Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs subcommittee.

Total mail volume was 202 billion items last year, more than 9 billion less than the year before, the largest single volume drop in history.

And, despite annual rate increases, Potter said 2009 could be the first year since 1946 that the actual amount of money collected by the post office declines.

"It is possible that the cost of six-day delivery may simply prove to be unaffordable," Potter said. "I reluctantly request that Congress remove the annual appropriation bill rider, first added in 1983, that requires the Postal Service to deliver mail six days each week."

If the change is made, that doesn't necessarily mean an end to Saturday mail delivery. Previous studies have looked at the possibility of skipping some other day, such as Tuesday.

"The ability to suspend delivery on the lightest delivery days, for example, could save dollars in both our delivery and our processing and distribution networks. I do not make this request lightly, but I am forced to consider every option given the severity of our challenge," Potter said.

That doesn't mean it would happen right away, he noted, adding that the agency is working to cut costs and any final decision on changing delivery would have to be made by the postal governing board.

If it did become necessary to go to five-day delivery, Potter said, "we would do this by suspending delivery on the lightest volume days."

The Postal Service raised the issue of cutting back on days of service last fall in a study it issued. At that time the agency said the six-day rule should be eliminated, giving the post office, "the flexibility to meet future needs for delivery frequency.

A study done by George Mason University last year for the independent Postal Regulatory Commission estimated that going from six-day to five-day delivery would save the post office more than $1.9 billion annually, while a Postal Service study estimated the saving at $3.5 billion.

The next postal rate increase is scheduled for May, with the amount to be announced next month. Under current rules that would be limited to the amount of the increase in last year's consumer price index, 3.8 percent. That would round to a 2-cent increase in the current 42-cent first class rate.

The agency could request a larger increase because of the special circumstances, but Potter believes that would be counterproductive by causing mail volume to fall even more.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:01 AM   #2
Mikado
Main st bridge
Forum Celebrity

My whole life, I can't remember a time when we didnt have just 5 days of delivery .... here in Ontario (and presumably the rest of Canada) our mail has always been Mon-Fri. , so, you'll get used to it
Mikado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:10 AM   #3
tv star collector
I Love Susie

If they have to cut a day, I'd prefer it was Saturday. My unemployment
check arrives on Tuesday (unless it's a day late, like it was this week).
tv star collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:20 PM   #4
Jude The Obscure
Retired

Tuesday makes no sense......make it Saturday.......and how about the fact the Post office takes a freaking paid holiday every time you look. cut down on the bonuses and those high labor wages!!
Jude The Obscure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 01:14 PM   #5
MonarC
The truth will set you free

It won't bother me any. Everyone seems to be cutting down cost here and there. It is strange that they are doing it on Tuesday and not Saturday like Jude said. Maybe they figure they will get too behind if they take two days off in a row.
MonarC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 02:20 PM   #6
robyrob
certified wackball#3
Forum Legend

i like it - they need to save money somehow, and Saturdays are important for when you have to reschedule deliveries that someone has to be there to sign for (thanks AMAZON!).

besides, all I ever get on Tuesdays is junk mail and bills!
robyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 02:35 PM   #7
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude The Obscure
Tuesday makes no sense......make it Saturday.......and how about the fact the Post office takes a freaking paid holiday every time you look. cut down on the bonuses and those high labor wages!!

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
catlover79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:27 PM   #8
Waterston_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv star collector
If they have to cut a day, I'd prefer it was Saturday. My unemployment
check arrives on Tuesday (unless it's a day late, like it was this week).
Yeah, I think they should make it Saturday too.
Waterston_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:28 PM   #9
phoebe7165
Pop Culture Goddess
Forum Veteran

I get mostly junk mail anyway. It'll just be 1 less day of getting junk mail!! But it'll probably delay getting my Netflix.

Rescued animals make the best pets. Opt to Adopt!!
phoebe7165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 05:18 PM   #10
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Tuesday must be Universal Junk Mail Day. That's when I get most of mine, too.
catlover79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 05:24 PM   #11
treky
star trek fan
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by robyrob
i like it - they need to save money somehow, and Saturdays are important for when you have to reschedule deliveries that someone has to be there to sign for (thanks AMAZON!).

besides, all I ever get on Tuesdays is junk mail and bills!
I never have to sign for a delivery. UPS or USPS always just leaves it at the front door.

Granny: "How much fer one o' them red diamonds?"
clerk: "Madam, those are rubies."
Granny: "OK ask her kin we buy one offa her."
clerk: " The ruby I am talking about is not a lady."
Granny: "Lissen, how she got them diamonds is her business. I'm just sayin' ask her kin we buy one from her."
treky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 05:28 PM   #12
robyrob
certified wackball#3
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by treky
I never have to sign for a delivery. UPS or USPS always just leaves it at the front door.
they are becoming real jerks about it around here - they won't even knock on the door - if you aren't waiting there to sign for it they leave you the dreaded yellow "please call us to reschedule delivery or pick up at the post office" sticky

they have said that there have been too many packages stolen in my neighborhood and USPS will NOT leave any packages, UPS has no problems though.

I'm gonna build a drop box so they can cram them in there
robyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 05:54 PM   #13
dawsongirl
Forum Legend

If anyone smart ran the postal service, they could take a look around at all the money they're wasting and probably save a fortune. Now, I don't give a crap one way or the other when I get my mail, but I can't tell you how many money-wasting things my father has seen or heard about.

Firing dead-weight labor is always helpful. You don't work, you don't get paid.
dawsongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 05:55 PM   #14
dawsongirl
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude The Obscure
Those high-labor wages put a roof over my family's head. Some people actually deserve those wages.
dawsongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:16 PM   #15
MickeyMac
Forum Veteran

Saturday seems to be the day to do this. Also I read that they were talking about Saturday being the day they would cut back if this went through.

Wow with the postal service cutting back, that means it may not be so easy to get a job with them.
MickeyMac is offline   Reply With Quote