Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

I Love Lucy (Sitcoms Online) / I Love Lucy links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / I Love Lucy Photo Gallery

I Love Lucy - The Complete First Season

Buy I Love Lucy - The Complete First Season on DVD
I Love Lucy - The Complete Second Season

Buy I Love Lucy - The Complete Second Season on DVD
I Love Lucy - The Complete Third Season

Buy I Love Lucy - The Complete Third Season on DVD
I Love Lucy - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy I Love Lucy - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
I Love Lucy - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy I Love Lucy - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
I Love Lucy - The Complete Sixth Season

Buy I Love Lucy - The Complete Sixth Season on DVD
I Love Lucy - The Complete Seventh-Ninth Seasons (The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour)

Buy I Love Lucy - The Complete Seventh-Ninth Seasons on DVD
I Love Lucy - The Complete Series

Buy I Love Lucy - The Complete Series on DVD
I Love Lucy - Ultimate Season 1 (Blu-ray)

Buy I Love Lucy - Ultimate Season 1 on Blu-ray
I Love Lucy - Ultimate Season 2 (Blu-ray)

Buy I Love Lucy - Ultimate Season 2 on Blu-ray

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1950s Sitcoms > I Love Lucy

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Rugrats Revived on Nickelodeon; Vanilla Ice Project Returns Aug. 11
Guests Line Up for Caroline Rhea Series; UnREAL Season 4 Premieres on Hulu
Celebrities Get Animated on Animal Planet; Freeform Drama Pilot Underway
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of July 16, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Game of Thrones Leads Emmy Nominations; New Beverly Hillbillies DVDs Coming in October
Fri-Yay: What Was the Best Decade for Sitcoms?; The 70th Primetime Emmy Awards Nominations
Netflix Gets Christina Applegate Comedy; South Park Returns Sept. 26 for Season 22

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July)

New Girl - The Complete Seventh Season Alice - The Complete Seventh Season Green Acres - The Final (Sixth) Season The Last Man on Earth - The Complete Fourth Season The Good Place - The Complete Second Season

06/05 - Living Single - The Complete Fifth Season
06/05 - New Girl - The Complete Sixth Season
06/05 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-First Season (Blu-ray)
06/12 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fourth Season
06/12 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Third Season
06/12 - The Office - The Complete Series
06/12 - Speechless - The Complete First Season
06/12 - Speechless - The Complete Second Season
06/12 - Step by Step - The Complete First Season
06/12 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season One (Blu-ray)
06/19 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fourth Season
06/26 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Fifth Season
06/26 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Sixth Season
06/26 - The Mick - The Complete First Season
06/26 - The Mick - The Complete Second Season
07/03 - New Girl - The Final (Seventh) Season
07/10 - Alice - The Complete Seventh Season (WBShop.com)
07/10 - The Bill Engvall Show - The Complete First Season (WBShop.com)
07/10 - Green Acres - The Final (Sixth) Season
07/10 - The Last Man on Earth - The Complete Fourth Season
07/17 - Cooper Barrett's Guide to Surviving Life - The Complete Series
07/17 - The Good Place - The Complete Second Season
07/17 - Son of Zorn - The Complete Series
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 11-11-2017, 10:31 PM   #1
Hazel Anyday

Wink A Little Bit More Color Coming (CBS, RELEASE ALL OF ILL IN COLOR ON DVD ALREADY!!)

GREAT NEWS!!! Quoth The Raven:
"CBS will broadcast its annual I LOVE LUCY CHRISTMAS SPECIAL on Friday evening, December 22, at 8PM (ET/PT), this year including both the classic Christmas episode and “The Fashion Show” – a newly colorized version of the Hollywood based episode in which Lucy is just aching to own an original outfit from the Don Loper Salon." The second color episode will be the Christmas one, let's hope it's the all color all the time version (by the way, when will they commercially release this all color all the time version of that Christmas episode??). Then at 9 pm will be the 2 new Color Dick Van Dykes. And for a further hope, let's hope this year they don't use that fake looking "pastel" look for the Dick V. Dykes. That fake pastel look last year's D.V.D's used reminded me of the poorly done EARLY efforts at colorization in 1988 and '89.

Colorization today can look real and bright and excellent, witness the Bewitched seasons 1 & 2 and even the I Love Lucy's of today . But those color pastel jobs on the D.V.D.'s last year just looked like 10 steps backward in technology as far as the excellence of colorization potential today.

Last edited by Hazel Anyday; 11-11-2017 at 10:35 PM. Reason: BRILLIANT THOUGHTS
Hazel Anyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 12:16 PM   #2
TV Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Anyday
GREAT NEWS!!! Quoth The Raven:
"CBS will broadcast its annual I LOVE LUCY CHRISTMAS SPECIAL on Friday evening, December 22, at 8PM (ET/PT), this year including both the classic Christmas episode and “The Fashion Show” – a newly colorized version of the Hollywood based episode in which Lucy is just aching to own an original outfit from the Don Loper Salon." The second color episode will be the Christmas one, let's hope it's the all color all the time version (by the way, when will they commercially release this all color all the time version of that Christmas episode??). Then at 9 pm will be the 2 new Color Dick Van Dykes. And for a further hope, let's hope this year they don't use that fake looking "pastel" look for the Dick V. Dykes. That fake pastel look last year's D.V.D's used reminded me of the poorly done EARLY efforts at colorization in 1988 and '89.

Colorization today can look real and bright and excellent, witness the Bewitched seasons 1 & 2 and even the I Love Lucy's of today . But those color pastel jobs on the D.V.D.'s last year just looked like 10 steps backward in technology as far as the excellence of colorization potential today.
The Dick Van Dyke Show colorizations last year were pretty darned good - a step above the Lucys, whose color is oversaturated. The Bewitched and Jeannie colorizations reflect the limitations of technology from 20 years ago - everything is too soft looking and the skin tones are completely off. But I’d be hard pressed to call any of these colorizations “excellent” - they all look fake to a certain extent (the ones from 20 years ago tend to look more fake).

This is the best one I’ve seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbL-VUZmL30. Check out this guy’s channel on YouTube. CBS should hire him.

And this one, from the first season of the Lucy Show, is also really good. It’s hard to tell this apart from the early color seasons of the Lucy Show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyLAaD7Mp9o
TV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 11:09 PM   #3
Hazel Anyday

Talking I See Color People

I've loved, LOVED! colorization ever since it first started back in the late '80's. Yes they were lousy looking (I'm speaking of those done 1st by the "Hal Roach Colorization", really bad, that Laurel & Hardy Way Out West was bad, as was that Hal Roach version the very first attempt at colorizing It's A Wonderful Life. It was later colorized TWICE more and each of those was beautiful. BUT even these very early efforts were still way better than the lousy b/w versions. So when I criticize a colorization today it's not because I'm a "never colorer", I love colorization!!!

The Dick Van Dykes done last year looked like the Hal Roach awful jobs from 1987, the pastel look is not at all based on reality, how things look in real life. Look around you, are you seeing faded blah pastel colors everywhere? Is your skin color a faded out pink pastel? Those D.V.Dyke color shows last year looked awful, as I said before they were 10 steps backward in technology. BUT, once again, I'd still rather watch pastel D.V.D. shows instead of lousy b/w. I am a proud "never b/w-er".

The Season 1 & 2 Bewitcheds released on DVD a couple years ago were NOT colorized 20 years ago, it was in 2005, that's why they look so excellently PERFECT. The colorization done on Bewitched & I Dream of Jeannie is the best I've seen, better than the I.L.L. jobs and light years better than the D.V.Dykes. That guy on the internet who does his own home made color jobs is brilliant at it and I love all that he has done, I saw his color jobs on his website 2 years ago, Excellent. I'd love it if the D.V.Dyke people would hire this guy to do the D.V.Dykes in the future. Anything would be better than the fake and faded pastel look.

Now, CBS, when the heck are you going to release the COMPLETE "Classic 39" of The Honeymooners IN great COLORIZATION looking like the Bewitched seasons 1 & 2 as a DVD box set??? Also, while I'm at it, CBS, stop weaseling around with tiny color efforts at I.L.Lucy and colorize the ENTIRE series and release it as a GRAND COLOR I LOVE LUCY DVD set!!! My dreams would come true if "classic 39" Honeymooners and I Love Lucy were released as complete Colorized DVD sets! Stop with the piece meal TV specials and colorize the entire series on a DVD box set already!

Last edited by Hazel Anyday; 11-18-2017 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Censored my use of innocent saying "***** footing"
Old 11-27-2017, 01:07 PM   #4
steven1660
Occasional Poster

Can't wait for the new special! CBS posted 2 previews on youtube and I must say I think they did a much better job with Lucy's hair this time, links are below tell me what you guys think!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeM_VqG1rx4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZUhizUK3Mg
steven1660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 10:58 PM   #5
Hazel Anyday

Crazy Well, it's better than nothing

Well, it's nice and sharp but I'm not crazy about the once again faded out look and the skin tones are once again too pink. Looks like they're now using the inferior company that did such a lousy job on Dick Van Dyke last year. Where is the bright clear accurate coloring that they did a couple years ago? As I said before, if it's faded pastel look or b/w I'll still choose these lousy looking faded jobs, but boy, I know it can be done so much better, witness Bewitched Seasons 1 & 2 and even better that guy on the internet who does such an excellent and ACCURATE job of colorizing. Why must CBS move 10 steps backward, it only give the very vocal "never colorers" a foothold back in the door.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:56 PM   #6
stevea

The DVDykes last year were horrible. The colors were so unrealistic--it's been awhile since I went on a rant about it, but one thing I recall is how hokey the kitchen table set looked. And the living room wall inexplicably changed color around the front door. IIRC, they had some color film shots of the sets to go by, and they still couldn't get it right. On the DVD (which at least had the unedited episodes) they even screwed up the redone cast credits on Coast to Coast Big Mouth.

I've not bought season 1 of I Dream of Jeannie, but I've seen some of them on a local channel which shows them. They're so good, I'd never even know they weren't filmed in color.
stevea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:17 AM   #7
steven1660
Occasional Poster

I agree about the Dick Van Dyke special last year, it wasn't too good, I thought it would be so much better. There is going to be another Dick Van Dyke special this year right after the ILL Xmas special, It probably won't be much better. That guy who does the youtube videos is so good, I'm not sure why CBS doesn't hire him, I don't know how we can convince them to use him! haha. I think the I love lucy preview look pretty good, but I'll have to see more of it to really judge. Below I'm linking an article about the DVD show special which shows a couple of stills of the new colorization job, see what you think:

http://www.cbs.com/recommended/news/...coming-to-cbs/
Old 12-02-2017, 04:34 PM   #8
retroTVfan4ever

It's a color world we live in, not a black and white world, this of course is true. However, when it comes to movies and TV shows filmed in black and white, I've always believed that is how they should be seen, I'm not a fan of colorization.

If I want to see Lucy in color, I'll watch color episodes of The Lucy Show or episodes of Here's Lucy. If I want to see Bewitched in color, I'll watch episodes from seasons 3 thru 8. The season 1 and 2 shows look best in their original black and white.

Do I want to see colorized versions of anything that was originally filmed in black and white? LOL, no way, absolutely not. The original black and white works just fine for me.
retroTVfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 12:27 PM   #9
steven1660
Occasional Poster

Here is a new colorized clip from The Lucy Show that is on youtube and it's amazing! check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlvhdgnTQ4w
Old 12-28-2017, 10:12 PM   #10
Hazel Anyday

Nodsmiley A Wonderful Colorized World

That guy does a great job. Now the whole world awaits the release of Complete Series sets of The Classic 39 Honeymooners and I Love Lucy, not to mention Seasons 1 & 2 of Adv. of Superman and My Favorite Martian and Season 1 of Hazel.

That's just the start of my Colorizers wish list for this coming year, now if this could become a beautiful colorized reality EVERYONE would jump for joy. And if you're a "never colorer" keep it to yourself, nobody wants to hear what you think.

Last edited by Hazel Anyday; 12-28-2017 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Beautiful Thoughts
Old 01-13-2018, 11:43 AM   #11
retroTVfan4ever

Quote:
And if you're a "never colorer" keep it to yourself, nobody wants to hear what you think.
LOL, oh really? Well guess what, I don't care what YOU think.

Colorizing the black and white stuff is an act of vandalism, it should be illegal and forbidden.

Last edited by retroTVfan4ever; 01-14-2018 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:55 PM   #12
Hazel Anyday

Wink Color Me Shocked

Well, I never. Harrumph.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:03 PM   #13
retroTVfan4ever

Quote:
Well, I never. Harrumph.
LOL, harrumph?? Who are you? George Wilson from Dennis The Menace?
Old 01-21-2018, 11:10 PM   #14
IsabellaKlump
Occasional Poster

I just wish that when CBS airs these colorized I Love Lucy specials, that they would colorize and air the entire episode. These are edited episodes. In "The Fashion Show," episode for example, the fashion show featured more Hollywood wives. In the version that aired on CBS last month, at least two of the wives were cut out (Mrs. Dean Martin and Mrs. Richard Carlson, I think). I also remember some scenes missing from the "L.A. at Last" episode that aired last year (or the year before).
IsabellaKlump is offline   Reply With Quote