Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Golden Girls Central / The Golden Girls links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Golden Girls Photo Gallery

The Golden Girls - Season 1

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 1 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 2

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 2 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 3

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 3 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 4

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 4 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 5

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 5 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 6

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 6 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 7

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 7 on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > The Golden Girls
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Television Academy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced; Roswell Ready for Reboot
Fri-Yay: The Middle on The Top; Hulu Snags Futurama
Hallmark's Holly Robinson Peete Series Coming in February; Remembering Sitcom Writer Bob Schiller
Disney Picks Up 2nd Season of Raven Sitcom; Family Matters Cast Reunites
ION Television Gets Festive for Holidays; USA Schedules Psych: The Movie

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 09-21-2016, 03:23 PM   #16
Bonniegirl
Forum Celebrity
AKA Hazel Horvath

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandonurse
I believe you, but how odd. Personally, I find depressed, unhappy people much harder to be around than happy, cheerful ones. Who wants to be around a perpetual "downer"?

It's the downer people that get annoyed at cheerfulness! They feel if they aren't happy,why should other people be!

It's best to just steer clear of it, but if it's people you can't keep at a distance ,coworkers, bosses, family members, or long term friends that you feel a loyalty to!
Old 09-25-2016, 03:45 PM   #17
JamesG
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow

I figured to mention this tidbit here, Bea Arthur's eldest adopted son, Matthew Saks, recently did a interview with THR:

Quote:
If one persistent rumor about Arthur still follows her into the afterlife, its that she and her "Golden Girls" co-star Betty White, who played the dippy Minnesotan Rose Nylund, had a contentious off-screen relationship.

Saks says it isnt entirely without merit. My mom was the real deal, he explains. I think she felt she was more of an actress than Betty. Mom came from Broadway. Betty starred on a game show at one point.

He continues: When they shot the sitcom, sometimes they had to stop. My mom would stay concentrated, maybe stay backstage, stand in her place there. And sometimes Betty would go out and smile and chat with the audience and literally go and make friends with the audience. Which is a nice thing a lot of them have come from all over the country and are fans. I think my mom didnt dig that.

Its more about being focused or conserving your energy. Its just not the right time to talk to fans between takes. Betty was able to do it and it didnt seem to affect her. But it rubbed my mom the wrong way.
Still, Saks adds, there was no fighting at all. They were friends. At one point they lived close enough that they would drive each other to work.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...omeless-932269
Old 09-26-2016, 03:40 PM   #18
bandonurse
Frequent Poster

I think she felt she was more of an actress than Betty. Mom came from Broadway.

In other words, she was a colossal snob.

"Betty starred on a game show at one point"? At one point?

Are you freakin' kidding me? Betty White starred in two television shows in the early days of TV. Life With Elizabeth and Date With the Angels. She has done numerous motion pictures. (How many movies was Bea Arthur in?) And she was a FAVORITE guest on so many early television shows even Betty herself probably can't remember them all.

And since when does "coming from Broadway" justify calling someone "the c word" or giving her own son the impression that she was "more of an actress" than she was? Let's face it. She mistreated Betty. She mistreated Estelle Getty, and she mistreated an entire Broadway audience one night just because she got drunk.

Nice try, Matthew. I get it..you loved your mother. But you just provided more proof to the rumor that she was a bee-otch, without meaning to.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:38 PM   #19
king of comedy

I guess she deserves to be call that.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:04 AM   #20
Walter White
Forum Regular
Heisenberg

Quote:

Are you freakin' kidding me? Betty White starred in two television shows in the early days of TV. Life With Elizabeth and Date With the Angels. She has done numerous motion pictures. (How many movies was Bea Arthur in?) And she was a FAVORITE guest on so many early television shows even Betty herself probably can't remember them all.

And since when does "coming from Broadway" justify calling someone "the c word" or giving her own son the impression that she was "more of an actress" than she was? Let's face it. She mistreated Betty. She mistreated Estelle Getty, and she mistreated an entire Broadway audience one night just because she got drunk.

Nice try, Matthew. I get it..you loved your mother. But you just provided more proof to the rumor that she was a bea-otch, without meaning to.

Fixed.
Old 10-03-2016, 12:38 PM   #21
OH Nuts!
Forum Legend
WINGing it on a Sandpiper!

Quote:

Nice try, Matthew. I get it..you loved your mother. But you just provided more proof to the rumor that she was a bee-otch, without meaning to.

Although I love Bea, I gotta admit, Betty has a much more impressive background. So maybe it was just plain old jealousy that Betty was possibly more skilled and could multi-task better.

xxoo You both Rock!!
Old 02-03-2017, 02:13 AM   #22
Superbatboy
Forum Regular
The Brandon Show

Didn't Bea and Betty eat lunch together everyday on set? At least that's what I've read in the past. Maybe their "feud" wasn't as bad as legend would have it.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:16 PM   #23
bandonurse
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbatboy
Didn't Bea and Betty eat lunch together everyday on set? At least that's what I've read in the past. Maybe their "feud" wasn't as bad as legend would have it.
Shouldn't really speak for the deceased I guess, especially since I never even met Bea, but my guess would be that she actually loved Betty, but resented her. I mean, really....how could you not like Betty White?

But liking someone and being jealous of them are two different things. No doubt Betty made delightful company, so why wouldn't Bea want to have lunch with her? Plus refusing to would make her look pretty petty.

As I've said before, my impression is that Bea resented the fact that Betty was everything she wasn't.... Feminine, big blue eyes, beautiful facial bone structure, and a gorgeous sweet smile. Normal female voice. Normal female height. Cheerful, sweet disposition.

To top it off, Betty's husband (as far as we know) was loving and faithful to her till his death. Bea's.....sadly, not. Just saying this is what appears obvious to me. Not pretending to know this for sure.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:03 PM   #24
king of comedy

Quote:
Shouldn't really speak for the deceased I guess, especially since I never even met Bea, but my guess would be that she actually loved Betty, but resented her. I mean, really....how could you not like Betty White?

But liking someone and being jealous of them are two different things. No doubt Betty made delightful company, so why wouldn't Bea want to have lunch with her? Plus refusing to would make her look pretty petty.

As I've said before, my impression is that Bea resented the fact that Betty was everything she wasn't.... Feminine, big blue eyes, beautiful facial bone structure, and a gorgeous sweet smile. Normal female voice. Normal female height. Cheerful, sweet disposition.

To top it off, Betty's husband (as far as we know) was loving and faithful to her till his death. Bea's.....sadly, not. Just saying this is what appears obvious to me. Not pretending to know this for sure.
Well spoken!
Old 02-05-2017, 06:32 PM   #25
Wildchats
Forum Regular
Me

She's just a cheerful person. Even if too cheerful, Bea shouldn't have been like that towards her. That's how I'd be as I work in TV here and there and I make friends with the visiting audiences going way back to my days working at The Price Is Right to current sitcoms. A lot of people don't really do that but it's something I love to do. That's great Betty did that with the audience.

www.MarkSinacori.com
Check out my website!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3254521/?nmdp=1&
Check out my IMDB page!

https://www.facebook.com/MarkTSinacori
My public facebook! Please like it!

https://www.facebook.com/MarkTSinacori
My twitter page! Please follow me!
Old 02-06-2017, 01:39 AM   #26
ThomasE
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH Nuts!
Although I love Bea, I gotta admit, Betty has a much more impressive background. So maybe it was just plain old jealousy that Betty was possibly more skilled and could multi-task better.
You may have a point there.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:52 PM   #27
Heenan Fan
Frequent Poster

I love Dorothy, but Bea Arthur was a toad. Pretty much common knowledge in Hollywood at the time.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:47 PM   #28
KatieAnn
Frequent Poster

Quote:

That's a fair guess, but I would think that by the time Bea was in her 40s or 50s she would have come to accept who she was and use it, which seems to be exactly what she did. She wasn't the cute one, she was the tough one. You give a really nice description of Betty White, but really they were all 4 older women whose looks weren't really important at that point, it was their character that was the most important factor at that point.

It sounds like Bea needed to be focused and concentrate on her work at all times while working while Betty is one of those lucky people who takes things lightly while still being on when it's necessary and can slip in and out of work (and character) with great ease.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:34 AM   #29
bandonurse
Frequent Poster

"Betty is one of those lucky people who takes things lightly while still being on when it's necessary and can slip in and out of work (and character) with great ease."

My guess is you're spot on, KatieAnne. In her autobiography, Rue made the statement that Betty White was so unbelievably great at memorizing her lines of dialogue that they used to joke that the only thing they could conclude was that "she must be a witch."

Being a "Betty watcher" for decades now, (she's always been my very favorite actress) I'm sure she has a very high IQ. (Not that Bea was a slouch)

Last edited by bandonurse : 03-01-2017 at 01:54 PM.
Old 04-16-2017, 03:37 AM   #30
TMC
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbatboy

It seems like Bea and Betty had a complicated relationship - as much as you hear of Bea's hatred of Betty, she would only go to lunch with the cast of Betty went too.