Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > TV Series on DVD News and Discussion

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Showtime's SMILF Returns for 2nd Season on Jan. 20; Bunk'd Renewed for 4th Season Without Key Stars
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 19, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: ABC Buys Rural Comedy From "Liberal Redneck" Trae Crowder; Crossover Event Planned for Big Bang Theory and Young Sheldon
Fri-Yay: An Appreciation for Mike Schur's Comedies; IFC Acquires Pee-wee's Playhouse
Drunk History and Corporate Return in January; Jim Gaffigan Returns with Comedy Central Special
The Dick Van Dyke Show and I Love Lucy in Color on Dec. 14; The CW Sets January 2019 Premiere Dates
getTV 2018 Holiday Marathons Schedule; truTV Comedy Returns for 3rd Season

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)

The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection Alice - The Complete Eighth Season Step by Step - The Complete Third Season

10/02 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 6th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 7th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 8th Season
10/02 - Ghosted - The Complete First Season
10/02 - The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One / Volume Two
10/02 - Police Squad! - TV and Movie Collection
10/02 - Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection
10/16 - Community - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/23 - Alice - The Complete Eighth Season
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Two
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Three
10/31 - The Bad News Bears - The Complete Series - All 26 Episodes
11/01 - Episodes - Season 5
11/05 - Robin Williams - Comic Genius (includes Mork & Mindy)
11/06 - American Dad! - Volume 13
11/20 - Step by Step - The Complete Third Season
11/27 - What I Like About You - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 02-06-2007, 12:51 PM   #1
TURBOCSX
Arnold Ziffel
Frequent Poster

Default Double Sided DVD's

What is your feeling about double sided DVD's? Personally, I hate them. For one, they don't mark them clearly enough to tell which side is which. Another reason I hate them is that I have a DVD changer. It holds 400 dvd's. When they double side them, I can't load them and leave them there because to see the other side, I'd have to pull the dvd out and flip them over. It's not the end of the world, but it kinda defeats the purpose of the dvd changer. What's with the studio's? How much money are they saving? Personally, I'd pay the extra buck or 2 to get the dvd's single sided. The other drawback is, if you break or lose a double sided dvd, you've in fact broken or lost 2 dvd's. Do this bother anyone else? or is it just me?
TURBOCSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 01:22 PM   #2
TheLandfordLunchBox
Heath Ledger 1979-2008
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to TheLandfordLunchBox Send a message via Yahoo to TheLandfordLunchBox

The King of The Hill boxsets are like that and i hate it! It's confusing I think.
TheLandfordLunchBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 03:07 PM   #3
robyrob
certified wackball#3
Forum Legend

they are crap - especially the double-layer double-sided disks, i haven't had a set with those yet that DIDN'T have at least one disk that freezes up or won't play.
robyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 03:09 PM   #4
JulieSomoski
Roseanne Reboot - March 27!

I agree. Worst idea in the world. Warner Bros. was almost going to do this with 3 of there releases, but changed them last minute to 4 single sides discs, thank god. The double sided discs scratch easily, are confusing to see which side is which, and are not colorful as single sided.
JulieSomoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 06:53 PM   #5
freshprinceofLA
The Bosses

Send a message via AIM to freshprinceofLA

I hate those too. They scratch easy. When I got Knight Rider sea 1 I diddnt realize that the dvd's were double sided and i skipped a crap load of episodes! But I don't have many dvd's like that.
#2 Three's Company
#3 Moonlighting

RELEASE ALL SEASONS OF WHO'S THE BOSS? ON DVD

Watch ION at 9:00 to 10:00

I <3 SAMANTHA!
RAIDERS SUCK

R.I.P. PAC & BIG we miss yall
freshprinceofLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 03:35 AM   #6
Buffyboy323

I don't like those either. ER- Seasons 1 & 2 are like that. It's annoying. I'm always afraid they will get scratched.
Buffyboy323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 12:01 PM   #7
vashti1999
NY METS - #1
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffyboy323
I don't like those either. ER- Seasons 1 & 2 are like that. It's annoying. I'm always afraid they will get scratched.
Joan of Arcadia S2 discs are single-sided, so at least you don't have to worry about those, especially when you don't pay for it.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:55 PM   #8
peachysquirt21
Forum Regular

I cant stand these! They can get marked up so much easier then the one sided ones.
peachysquirt21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 04:01 PM   #9
Superstar
Forum Legend

Send a message via AIM to Superstar

I don't have too many double sided DVD's. My only TV-DVD is the Simple Life 4. They don't mark which side is which clearly enough at all. I can barely make out which side is A or B. I definitely prefer single sided discs.
Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:14 PM   #10
robby76
Forum Regular

Single discs for me too. I hate trying to read the small print on the disc and the disc 1 side b, disc 2 side a gets confusing when you're in a hurry.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:47 AM   #11
Robert 13

The discs in all of the Munsters sets are like this. It makes me a little nervous that they may get scratched.

The upcoming Cagney & Lacey set is said to be double-sided discs too.

Personally, I think it is someone in the technology department becoming overzealous about something new in dvd without testing its quality. They are so quick to release something like that solely on the strength of the money they might save without taking into consideration that dvd-buyers will not be happy with the release.
Robert 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 10:30 AM   #12
storrs19
B&W TV Lover
Forum Regular

Send a message via ICQ to storrs19 Send a message via MSN to storrs19

I hate double sided dvd's, especially the dual layer double sided ones. I much prefer single sided and do not care if it runs to 9 discs (like some of the Dukes of Hazzard sets do). Of course, Universal is the worst as their quality control is non-existant. I have had endless trouble with Adam 12, Dragnet 1967, The Munsters, and Alfred Hitchcock Presents - Season 1.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:24 PM   #13
Ant-Lox
Cloud Watcher

I do like the single layer DVD's, but I have no problems with the double sided ones. My Dukes of Hazzard Season 1 set is like this, plus some Wrestling DVD's I have, I think its cool to have 2 DVD's in 1.
Ant-Lox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 01:23 PM   #14
TURBOCSX
Arnold Ziffel
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert 13
The discs in all of the Munsters sets are like this. It makes me a little nervous that they may get scratched.

The upcoming Cagney & Lacey set is said to be double-sided discs too.

Personally, I think it is someone in the technology department becoming overzealous about something new in dvd without testing its quality. They are so quick to release something like that solely on the strength of the money they might save without taking into consideration that dvd-buyers will not be happy with the release.
yes, you are right, I forgot about the munsters being double sided. I have them loaded in my changer, but I am going to pull out all the double sided dvd's so I can flip them over easier.
TURBOCSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 04:03 PM   #15
big bertha
Frequent Poster

Plenty of Trouble

Count me in as one of the double-sided dvd haters-they stink! I have a 6 disc changer so it does kind of defeat the purpose like an earlier poster said of having the changer. Watching sitcoms this way is not so bad because I just play one side of each all the way through and then flip them over. But tv shows with a story arch are the worst like Dallas. What I end up doing is watching one disc, flipping over and watching the other side and then skipping to the next disc and then the same thing. But it is a drag. I noticed on my Munsters double-sided dvds that there is fluttering on the sides and my disc player becomes noisier than normal. I will be glad when the industry gives up on them. I have never had any freeze up on me though so I have been lucky that way. Well that is my gripe for the day. Thank you and good night.
big bertha is offline   Reply With Quote