Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Farmer's Daughter links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Farmer's Daughter Photo Gallery

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > The Farmer's Daughter
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Netflix's Disjointed to End After One Season; Will & Grace Revival Coming to DVD
Fri-Yay: Is the Era of the "Sadcom" Over?; TBS Lands Pilot from Emmy Winner
The CW to Expand to 6 Nights; Netflix Gets 5th Season of Grace and Frankie
CBS Renews Digital Sitcom; Judy Greer Is Not Kidding, She Joins Jim Carrey Comedy
Rare Gems on getTV for Black History Month; Showtime Comedy Pilot Brings Out the Stars
ABC Crossovers Set for March 1; Tosh.0 Gets 3 Additional Seasons Thru 2020
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of February 12, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Tosh.0 Gets Three Season Renewal; New DVDs for Diff'rent Strokes and More
Fri-Yay: High Concept Sitcoms; Bravo's Imposters Returns in April
COZI TV Remembers John Mahoney with Frasier Marathon; Kim Possible The Movie Coming to Disney
New Muppet Babies Coming to Disney Junior; Cartoon Network Comedy Gets 5 Week-Run

New on DVD/Blu-ray (January/February)

Trial & Error - The Complete First Season Superior Donuts - Season One Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Seventh Season Green Acres - The Complete Fifth Season Mayberry R.F.D. - The Complete First Season

01/09 - Girlfriends - The Complete Series
01/16 - Trial & Error - The Complete First Season
01/22 - Superior Donuts - Season One
01/23 - Baskets - The Complete Season Two
02/06 - All in the Family - Seasons 1-5
02/06 - Bosom Buddies - The Complete Series
02/13 - Broad City - Season 4
02/13 - Three's Company - The Complete Series - Come and Knock on Our Door Collection
02/27 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Seventh Season
02/27 - Green Acres - The Complete Fifth Season
02/27 - Mayberry R.F.D. - The Complete First Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 07-07-2012, 04:51 PM   #1
Ronny G
Forum Regular

Default What Happened to the Character, Mr. Cooper?

Around episode 20 of the first season, the character of Chester Cooper no longer appears.
He was the butler in the pilot, and then he became Glen's secretary.
The actor's name, Philip Coolidge, is dropped from the opening credits beginning with episode 20.
Does anyone know when his last appearance was, and was there any explanation as to where he went?
I'm missing episodes 17 and 18, so maybe something happened in those episodes.
For example, I never heard anyone say, "Mr. Cooper had to leave town to take care of a sick relative," or "Mr. Cooper got a new job," etc.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:25 AM   #2
marypat57
Occasional Poster

I just did a quick Google search for Phillip Coolidge. From April through August of 1964, he appeared in a production of Hamlet on Broadway. I dont see anything else he appeared in after that. The 1964 dates would coincide with his absence on The Farrmer's Daughter. I suppose he just wandered off with the family cook, Millie.
According to FindAGrave, he died from lung cancer in 1967.

Even though I own the 16 dvd set, I would love to see it again on tv. It was my favorite tv show during its first run. I would have enjoyed a fourth season, perhaps with Katy and Glen having a liitle girl to round out the family.

If only I had had the good sense to keep the episodes I taped fromCBN during the 1980's...
Old 01-30-2018, 04:30 AM   #3
Ronny G
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info, marypat! Glad to see you found the 16-disc set. Isn't it an improvement over the 9-disc set?
Since I originally posted my inquiry, I have learned a few more things.
The first season had 36 episodes, but the show only filmed 17 episodes initially for the first season and went on hiatus ( The show was filmed months in advance of its Sept. 1963 premiere date). ABC didn't want to commit to a full season for a new show in case it was a bomb. After the show premiered in Sept. 1963, and got decent ratings, ABC ordered another 19 episodes to round out the first season. This is when the show was re-tweaked, and the Mr. Cooper character was dropped. Still have no idea if there was an onscreen explanation, but probably not. The writers probably wanted to go a different direction like focusing on the Glen/Katy romance, or maybe the actor was unavailable. Sort of like when the actress who played Aunt Clara on Bewitched died, her character was never mentioned again.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:13 PM   #4
marypat57
Occasional Poster

Ronny:
Thanks for the first season info. It does seem to fit in with the disappearence of Mr. Cooper.
I love the 16 dvd set, but some of the episodes are shorter than the 9 disc set--go figure.
So, for 2 episodes (the 1st episode after the wedding and the episode where Katy reads Glen's late wife's diary) the 16 disc set cuts out a few important scenes. So i watch those episodes on the 9 disc set.

Maybe someday we'll get a real set of dvds. We can only hope.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:39 PM   #5
Hazel Anyday

Madderest Forget a minute shy here or there, how about WON'T even PLAY?

I have the 9 disc set, unfortunately. Not because most of the episodes look terrible (as if recorded off of a UHF channel from the old days) but the worst is many of the discs DON'T even PLAY on my DVD players and to top it off the so-called menus don't work either, you have to fast forward thru the disc to get to the next episode, this is WHEN you can play the disc at all. It is one of the worst sets of discs I have ever gotten.