Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

I Dream of Jeannie links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / I Dream of Jeannie Photo Gallery

I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete First Season (Black & White)

Buy I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete First Season (Black & White) on DVD
I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete First Season (Colorized)

Buy I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete First Season (Colorized) on DVD
I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Second Season

Buy I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Second Season on DVD
I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Third Season

Buy I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Third Season on DVD
I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
I Dream of Jeannie - Seasons 1 and 2 (Mill Creek)

Buy I Dream of Jeannie - Seasons 1 and 2 (Mill Creek) on DVD
I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Series (2013 Release)

Buy I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Series (2013 Release) on DVD

Buy I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Series (2008 Release) on DVD / Buy I Dream of Jeannie...Fifteen Years Later (TV Movie) on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > I Dream of Jeannie
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Preview New ABC Comedy Selfie Pilot with Twitter; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of August 25, 2014)
TV Land Fall 2014 Schedule Has The Beverly Hillbillies; Eva Longoria Heads to Brooklyn Nine-Nine for Arc
Antenna TV Fall 2014 Schedule; Cloo Honors Robin Williams with Mork & Mindy Week
MeTV Network Fall 2014 Schedule; Disney Channel Posts Strong Ratings on Friday with Girl Meets World and Original Movie
Soap, Happy Endings on Logo; SNL Saturday Marathon on TV Land
Summer 2014 Week 12 Sitcom Ratings
SitcomsOnline Digest: New Hosting Gig for Craig Ferguson; Wonder Years DVD Music Update; New DVDs from Mill Creek

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August)

Community - The Complete Fifth Season Newhart - The Complete Fourth Season Parks and Recreation - Season Six Three's Company - The Complete Series Welcome Back, Kotter - The Complete Series

08/05 - Californication - The Final (Seventh) Season
08/05 - Community - The Complete Fifth Season
08/05 - Mad About You - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
08/05 - The Nanny - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
08/05 - Dennis the Menace (Animated) - Lights! Camera! Menace!
08/12 - Bitten - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
08/19 - The Millers - The First Season
08/19 - The Mindy Project - Season Two
08/19 - Newhart - The Complete Fourth Season
08/19 - Parks and Recreation - Season Six
08/19 - Three's Company - The Complete Series - Come and Knock on Our Door Collection
08/19 - Once Upon a Time - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
08/26 - Austin & Ally - Chasing the Beat
08/26 - Good Luck Charlie - So Long, Farewell!
08/26 - Welcome Back, Kotter - The Complete Series
08/26 - Revenge - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-19-2011, 11:23 PM   #1
Brian Damage
Forum Legend
I'm Rich Bitch

Location: What Ain't No Country I Ever Heard Of...They Speak English in What?
Send a message via AIM to Brian Damage
Confused Major Roger Healey: Where Does He Stack Up On The All Time TV Sidekicks?

-Major Roger Healey - On "I Dream of Jeannie," all eyes were on Barbara Eden as the genie with the sexy outfit, but if you could divert your eyes elsewhere for a few moments, you would have seen some great interaction between Maj. Anthony Nelson (Larry Hagman) and his horny sidekick Roger (played wonderfully by Bill Daily).

http://www.sacbee.com/2011/01/17/333...sidekicks.html

Money Doesn't Buy Happiness...But I'd Rather Cry in My Private Jet
Old 03-02-2012, 09:29 PM   #2
scrapple
Frequent Poster

Bill Daily was a great sidekick, and one of the saving graces of IDOJ. Unfortunately, other than Daily, the supporting cast of the show was abysmal. While Bewitched flourished because of a great supporting cast (Larry Tate, Endora, the Kravitz, Aunt Clara, Uncle Arthur, Darrin's parents, Tabitha, Dr. Bombay, etc), IDOJ had ONE good cast member besides the leads....Bill Daily. Dr. Bellows was one of the most annoying characters on TV, his wife was a nothing role, the General was insignificant....and really, who else was there? The leads on shows make the initial impression, but it's the back-ups who keep the show interesting over time.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:39 PM   #3
TV Knowledge Fan

Default I believe you're quite wrong...

...about the rest of the supporting cast, 'scrapple'. Nowhere was there a better "opponent" (other than Jeannie) for Tony Nelson than Dr. Bellows. He had some of the best lines, too {"It's a shame I'm not going to be around to find out what makes you tick....next to me, you're probably the most interesting psychaitric case I've ever come across.."- "The Greatest Invention in the World"}. Amanda Bellows was funny in that she was often wrapped up in her little "society circle", and sometimes oblivious to what her husband was seeing. The "give and take" she had with Alfred was equally funny {"You don't like the martini? You go fix it yourself!"/"When a man comes home from a hard's day's work....he deserves a decent martini!!"/"Don't shout at me, Alfred!!"/'I'll shout if I want to!!"/"*whimpering*"- "The Indispensible Jeannie"}. And General Peterson...just enough exasperation and bluster {"Doctor, if this is another one of your wild stories..."}!

Old 03-06-2012, 07:12 PM   #4
Stuck In The '70's
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV Knowledge Fan
...about the rest of the supporting cast, 'scrapple'. Nowhere was there a better "opponent" (other than Jeannie) for Tony Nelson than Dr. Bellows. He had some of the best lines, too {"It's a shame I'm not going to be around to find out what makes you tick....next to me, you're probably the most interesting psychaitric case I've ever come across.."- "The Greatest Invention in the World"}. Amanda Bellows was funny in that she was often wrapped up in her little "society circle", and sometimes oblivious to what her husband was seeing. The "give and take" she had with Alfred was equally funny {"You don't like the martini? You go fix it yourself!"/"When a man comes home from a hard's day's work....he deserves a decent martini!!"/"Don't shout at me, Alfred!!"/'I'll shout if I want to!!"/"*whimpering*"- "The Indispensible Jeannie"}. And General Peterson...just enough exasperation and bluster {"Doctor, if this is another one of your wild stories..."}!

I agree. I think IDOJ had one of the best casts in sitcom history.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:42 PM   #5
Ms Garthe Knight
Forum Regular
Max&99

Send a message via AIM to Ms Garthe Knight Send a message via Yahoo to Ms Garthe Knight
Lol

I really think this show lack in alot of things compared to the other shows around that the time. Some of the story lines were weak, the clothes etc. It was the actors that made this show great. If it wasn't for them the show would have not lasted five seasons. The basic idea on this show was a great but as a creative person I think the actors went beyond their job to make this show great and a much loved show today.

I loved Major Healey. I loved how when him and Jeannie got together it was like the blind leading the blind. That was so funny. I also loved how Major Healey had Major Nelson's back no matter what. Now that is what you call best buddies. He added that extra humor that we love about sidekicks. & not to forget the Bellows Like I said it was the cast, it was all five cast members.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:48 PM   #6
Fallon97
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapple
Bill Daily was a great sidekick, and one of the saving graces of IDOJ. Unfortunately, other than Daily, the supporting cast of the show was abysmal. While Bewitched flourished because of a great supporting cast (Larry Tate, Endora, the Kravitz, Aunt Clara, Uncle Arthur, Darrin's parents, Tabitha, Dr. Bombay, etc), IDOJ had ONE good cast member besides the leads....Bill Daily. Dr. Bellows was one of the most annoying characters on TV, his wife was a nothing role, the General was insignificant....and really, who else was there? The leads on shows make the initial impression, but it's the back-ups who keep the show interesting over time.

I disagree. Jeannie, Major Nelson, Major Healey, Dr. Bellows, Amanda Bellows, General Peterson, General Shaffer, and evil Jeannie were all great characters.

Maybe other shows needed a huge cast to keep a show interesting, but IDOJ did not, and was a wonderful show just the way it was. Sometimes quality is worth more than quanitity. Plus, I feel having a smaller cast gives the viewers more intimate focus/concentration on the smaller cast, which I think is an advantage.

Also, some people might feel that the supporting cast of Bewitched were annoying or insignificant. Personally, I prefer the earlier seasons of Bewitched when there was more concentration on Darrin and Samantha's relationship......and less relatives.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:09 PM   #7
bookandfilmnut
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Damage
-Major Roger Healey - On "I Dream of Jeannie," all eyes were on Barbara Eden as the genie with the sexy outfit, but if you could divert your eyes elsewhere for a few moments, you would have seen some great interaction between Maj. Anthony Nelson (Larry Hagman) and his horny sidekick Roger (played wonderfully by Bill Daily).

http://www.sacbee.com/2011/01/17/333...sidekicks.html

I guess I'd put Roger about the middle of the pack, as far as best friend/side-kicks go. Maybe in the above average part of the middle. His character was a bit uneven, sometimes he was the classic "dumb" sidekick, other times he's kind of witty and acts as the voice of reason when Tony is angry. Sometimes he was the greedy schemer trying to get rich or otherwise benefit from a situation. Sometimes it is hinted that his womanizing is successful - that he really is a ladies man, and other times he comes off as just a geeky wanna-be ladies man. You never know which Roger you were going to see!