Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Golden Girls Central / The Golden Girls links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Golden Girls Photo Gallery

The Golden Girls - Season 1

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 1 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 2

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 2 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 3

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 3 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 4

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 4 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 5

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 5 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 6

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 6 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 7

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 7 on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > The Golden Girls
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Is Another Writers Strike Looming?; The McCarthys Arrives on DVD
CBS Renews 16 More Series for 2017-18; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of March 27, 2017)
Fox Summer 2017 Schedule; Detroiters to Return on Comedy Central
A&E and Lifetime Upfront 2017; Kevin James Gets Netflix Comedy Special for 2018
The Big Bang Theory Renewed for 2 More Seasons; Baby Daddy Still Strong in Ratings in Season 6
NBC's Summer 2017 Schedule Includes Marlon & The Carmichael Show; TBS Orders Drop the Mic for May
Week 26 TV Ratings and Analysis; How the Sitcoms Did
SitcomsOnline Digest: NBC Sets Summer Plans; Saturday Night Live to Live Up to Its Name From Coast to Coast

New on DVD/Blu-ray (February/March)

227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete First Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season

02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 1 - School's Cool - Boy Crazy
02/07 - So Little Time - Volume 2 - About a Family - Hangin' Out
02/07 - 227 - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)
02/07 - Vice Principals - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
02/14 - Beavis and Butt-Head - The Complete Collection
02/21 - Grace and Frankie - Season Two
02/28 - Fuller House - The Complete First Season
03/03 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Now... In Living Color! (Blu-ray)
03/07 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - Mama's Family - Mama's Favorites
03/07 - That '70s Show - The Complete Series - Flashback Edition (Blu-ray)
03/07 - What I Like About You - The Complete Second Season
03/07 - You Me Her - Season One
03/14 - Newhart - The Final (Eighth) Season
03/14 - Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - Season Two
03/21 - Master of None - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 08-21-2016, 02:40 PM   #1
bandonurse
Frequent Poster

Default Rebecca: "Blanche's overweight, insecure little girl" or slim, indepedent woman?

Out of all the "plot holes" we've talked about, the issue of Rebecca stands out as the most difficult to explain.

In January of 1988, she's introduced to us as a sweet, but very overweight girl who wanted a husband and family so badly she almost married an abusive idiot.

Without any explanation, Rebecca next appears as a slim, entirely different looking woman who's so independent she has a baby via IVF, because she doesn't want a husband, but wants to be a mother.

Since we knew Blanche had several children, why didn't the writers give this daughter a different name?

Last edited by bandonurse : 08-21-2016 at 02:45 PM. Reason: accidentally hit "post" too soon.
Old 08-21-2016, 03:05 PM   #2
tlc38tlc38
Knock! Knock!

TGG was horrible with continuity. Probably one of the absolute worse shows when it comes to the writers actually doing any kind of research about the show's past. What surprises me the most is why none of the actors didn't step in and bring these problems to the people in charge so they could be corrected.
Old 08-21-2016, 04:36 PM   #3
bandonurse
Frequent Poster

I so agree. Betty White was known for not interfering with the writer's "creativity" and I respect that.

But when it came to the episode where her maiden name was written as "Nylund" she should have noticed that and said something. God bless her for being such a sweet person, but as sharp as she was/is I find it difficult to believe she didn't notice that.

I recently also noticed that in an early episode where Michael came home and didn't have a real job, Dorothy said he was 29 years old. Later, when he was going to marry Lorraine, he was 24! Neither age made sense, since Dorothy and Stan had to get married over 38 years ago, because she was pregnant (with him, I presume). Even if Kate was born first, there's too huge an age difference between the two kids.

Ironic that my favorite sit-com of all time has me nit-picking the details. Perhaps I need to get a life???
Old 08-22-2016, 03:19 PM   #4
mets82

No you don't. I love GG as well but it's frustrating when the show doesn't have continuity.

Please check out my blog. I vent on all things. TV, sports etc. you name it. Its also a work in progress. Check out and see what you think.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:25 PM   #5
opus
VB

Location: New York; but ideally Apt. 402 in Indy (for 8 years)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandonurse

Ironic that my favorite sit-com of all time has me nit-picking the details.

Actually it makes total sense. The more someone likes and watches a show, the more they're going to notice the inconsistencies. It's part of the fun.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:39 PM   #6
bandonurse
Frequent Poster

Thanks for your support, guys!

"The more someone likes and watches a show, the more they're going to notice the inconsistencies. It's part of the fun."

I never thought of it that way, but you're right. Who else but an avid fan would notice that Michael was age 29 in an early episode, then age 24 a year or so later?
Old 08-22-2016, 05:31 PM   #7
opus
VB

Location: New York; but ideally Apt. 402 in Indy (for 8 years)

Quote:
Who else but an avid fan would notice that Michael was age 29 in an early episode, then age 24 a year or so later?

Exactly
Old 08-29-2016, 12:14 PM   #8
schmave
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Out of all the "plot holes" we've talked about, the issue of Rebecca stands out as the most difficult to explain.

In January of 1988, she's introduced to us as a sweet, but very overweight girl who wanted a husband and family so badly she almost married an abusive idiot.

Without any explanation, Rebecca next appears as a slim, entirely different looking woman who's so independent she has a baby via IVF, because she doesn't want a husband, but wants to be a mother.

Since we knew Blanche had several children, why didn't the writers give this daughter a different name?

Honestly, I find this one fairly believable for several reasons.
Rebecca was in an abusive relationship with Jeremy, but she found the courage to stand up and kick him to the curb. A logical next step could be her finding the courage to drop that extra weight (remember, Blanche mentioned she had been a model). Her first appearance was in January 1988, and the character didn't return until October 1989, 21 months later. I don't think it's too inconceivable that a radical life change could lead to a huge weight loss in that time period, not to mention the change in attitude regarding men and family.
Old 08-29-2016, 01:26 PM   #9
Anna Karenina
Arthur Spooner Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmave
Honestly, I find this one fairly believable for several reasons.
Rebecca was in an abusive relationship with Jeremy, but she found the courage to stand up and kick him to the curb. A logical next step could be her finding the courage to drop that extra weight (remember, Blanche mentioned she had been a model). Her first appearance was in January 1988, and the character didn't return until October 1989, 21 months later. I don't think it's too inconceivable that a radical life change could lead to a huge weight loss in that time period, not to mention the change in attitude regarding men and family.

Oh, I agree but as much as the characters on GG talk about their inner feelings wouldn't it have been better if Blanche and "Becky" had some lines addressing that abusive jerk Jeremy and how she got out of the relationship and was able not only to shed him but lots of weight as a result of being mistreated, getting some much needed therapy and ultimately "finding herself"? Also, as large as Becky was, realistically it would have taken longer than 21 months to become as rail thin as Rebecca was. I think maybe they should have cast somebody else, the difference in the two actresses was too striking. They should have just brought on a different daughter for Blanche and let Becky be Becky, maybe not quite so heavy but not a stickpin either. Like most of us women! Also, that whole script was a total steal from a Cheers episode with Coach and his plain daughter played by Moonlighting's Allyce Beasley which was much better because they didn't have Sophia making cheap shots at Becky and her weight. Sophia could be so insensitive sometimes but she got away with it because of the stroke.

Side note. Becky the First was the little girl on The Brady Bunch whose cat, Pandora was stuck in the fireplace.

Jim Ignatowski via Louie DePalma.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:07 AM   #10
bandonurse
Frequent Poster

Yeah.... As much as I love my GG, I have always felt they took Sophia's meanness too far.

And in real life, she would have gone back to Shady Pines the day Blanche walked in the kitchen and saw her poised and ready to bash Rose over the head with a cooking pot. No longer "adorably eccentric". Dangerous. Just plain dangerous.

By the way, Anna Karenina, I love your avatar. When I was a teenager, I wanted to BE Natalie Wood. And to this day, "West Side Story" and "Gypsy" are two of my all-time favorite movies.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:59 AM   #11
Anna Karenina
Arthur Spooner Lover

Quote:
Yeah.... As much as I love my GG, I have always felt they took Sophia's meanness too far.

And in real life, she would have gone back to Shady Pines the day Blanche walked in the kitchen and saw her poised and ready to bash Rose over the head with a cooking pot. No longer "adorably eccentric". Dangerous. Just plain dangerous.

By the way, Anna Karenina, I love your avatar. When I was a teenager, I wanted to BE Natalie Wood. And to this day, "West Side Story" and "Gypsy" are two of my all-time favorite movies.

Thank you, bandonurse!

They are some of my favorites too. I am still hoping we can finally get her drowning mystery solved. I don't want to think the worst.

As to Sophia, I enjoyed her character but she could be pretty brutal. Setting up Stan with Gloria was so insensitive to Dorothy and her 38 year marriage and the way she treated her daughter in law, Sally was atrocious. Abusive, really. What did Sally do to incur her anger but be a good loving wife to Phil?

But then there were episodes where she was very likable too. Like all of the characters on that show she had her good moments and her not so good moments...