Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Grace Under Fire links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Grace Under Fire Photo Gallery

Grace Under Fire - The Complete First Season

Buy Grace Under Fire - The Complete First Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1990s Sitcoms > Grace Under Fire
User Name
Password

Headlines / New on DVD/Blu-ray
SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines:

TVGN Adds Love Boat, Wings, Family Ties, and More; Hallmark's Lisa Whelchel/Kim Fields Movie Scores
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: FX, Includes 12-Day Simpsons Marathon on FXX; TCM Remembers James Garner
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: Fox, The CW; Remembering TV Legend James Garner
Summer 2014 Week 8 Sitcom Ratings
SitcomsOnline Digest: Enlisted to Return as Online Series?; Batman and Wonder Years DVD Updates
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: CBS; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of July 21, 2014)
TV Land's Candid Camera Premieres Aug. 11; NBC Gives Debra Messing Series a Preview Airing
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: ABC, Includes Fall 2014 Premiere Dates; Hot in Cleveland Animated Episode to Air July 30 on TV Land
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: NBC Networks; More Info on Apt. 23 on Logo, With 8 Unaired Episodes
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: NBC; Entourage Coming to VH1 Classic
Summer 2014 Week 7 Sitcom Ratings
SitcomsOnline Digest: HBO Continues to Lead in Emmy Nominations; WKRP and Wonder Years DVD Updates
Blog Book Review - George Burns Television Productions: The Series and Pilots, 1950-1981; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of July 14, 2014)
The 66th Primetime Emmy Awards Nominations; Hallmark Channel at 2014 TCA Summer Press Tour
Sean Hayes Joining The Millers; Remembering Bob Hastings of McHale's Navy
Hallmark Movie Channel Rebranding to Hallmark Movies & Mysteries; Disney Orders Second Season of Sitcom I Didn't Do It
'60s Batman Now on IFC; Wayans Brothers to Reunite in NJ

New on DVD/Blu-ray (July)

07/01 - American Dad! - Volume 9
07/08 - The Soul Man - The Complete First Season
07/15 - Diff'rent Strokes - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 and 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-18-2011, 09:01 AM   #1
Brian Damage
Forum Legend
I'm Rich Bitch

Location: What Ain't No Country I Ever Heard Of...They Speak English in What?
Icon15 Former 'Grace Under Fire' Star Brett Butler Reveals She Is Homeless!

Brett Butler starred in a successful ABC sitcom for five years, so many people might be surprised to learn that the Grace Under Fire actress is now homeless.

The actress, a two-time Golden Globe nominee her role in the 1993-98 comedy series, struggled with substance abuse while starring on the show, which was in the top 10 for two seasons. The Chuck Lorre-created show was canceled in 1998 after she was asked to leave the set because of her drug use.

"I almost died like Michael Jackson. ... I was dying of addiction," she said in an interview with Entertainment Tonight's Nancy O'Dell.

"I did everything but crack and needles pretty much," she added. "I had a variety of things given to me by doctor, and other things. I'm not doing it to be coy, but I'm not going to go through what I did. I did it 'til the wheels came off."

She went in and out of rehab, and after the show was canceled, she moved out of her L.A. mansion to a farm in Georgia, where she lived with 15 pets, but she soon ran out of money and found herself in a homeless shelter.

She said she regrets the way she acted while at the height of her career and hopes that people will forgive her for "making someone's day miserable over the choice of a word in a 22-minute show. A lot of times, I'd be an ass and didn't even think I was. Like, I'd call my managers and go, 'There's a while limo out here for an awards show,' and he'd say, 'Don't get in it,'" she said. "And he should have said, 'You ungrateful cracker, go get in the car. Go to the show, and they'll drop you out back.'"

She's now making an attempt at a comeback, developing a reality TV show about her self-professed psychic abilities and performing this weekend at the Downtown Comedy Club in Los Angeles.

"I really feel like an old dog, though," she said. "It's almost lke I was a horse that ran in the derby once. The kids are coming up and going, 'Are you still doing this?' I think it's something to do with me living through it."

Still, she's trying to remain optimistic.

"I don't think about what I survived," she said. "I hope I forgive, I hope I'm forgiven, and I'm just really glad that I think things are funny and there's no end to that."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...r-brett-263299

Money Doesn't Buy Happiness...But I'd Rather Cry in My Private Jet
Old 11-18-2011, 12:02 PM   #2
Reverend Jim
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Damage
Brett Butler starred in a successful ABC sitcom for five years, so many people might be surprised to learn that the Grace Under Fire actress is now homeless.

The actress, a two-time Golden Globe nominee her role in the 1993-98 comedy series, struggled with substance abuse while starring on the show, which was in the top 10 for two seasons. The Chuck Lorre-created show was canceled in 1998 after she was asked to leave the set because of her drug use.

"I almost died like Michael Jackson. ... I was dying of addiction," she said in an interview with Entertainment Tonight's Nancy O'Dell.

"I did everything but crack and needles pretty much," she added. "I had a variety of things given to me by doctor, and other things. I'm not doing it to be coy, but I'm not going to go through what I did. I did it 'til the wheels came off."

She went in and out of rehab, and after the show was canceled, she moved out of her L.A. mansion to a farm in Georgia, where she lived with 15 pets, but she soon ran out of money and found herself in a homeless shelter.

She said she regrets the way she acted while at the height of her career and hopes that people will forgive her for "making someone's day miserable over the choice of a word in a 22-minute show. A lot of times, I'd be an ass and didn't even think I was. Like, I'd call my managers and go, 'There's a while limo out here for an awards show,' and he'd say, 'Don't get in it,'" she said. "And he should have said, 'You ungrateful cracker, go get in the car. Go to the show, and they'll drop you out back.'"

She's now making an attempt at a comeback, developing a reality TV show about her self-professed psychic abilities and performing this weekend at the Downtown Comedy Club in Los Angeles.

"I really feel like an old dog, though," she said. "It's almost lke I was a horse that ran in the derby once. The kids are coming up and going, 'Are you still doing this?' I think it's something to do with me living through it."

Still, she's trying to remain optimistic.

"I don't think about what I survived," she said. "I hope I forgive, I hope I'm forgiven, and I'm just really glad that I think things are funny and there's no end to that."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...r-brett-263299

Old 11-18-2011, 02:20 PM   #3
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Icon15

WOW.

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
Old 11-18-2011, 04:17 PM   #4
AB
Forum Celebrity
True Blood

So sad, drugs & booze will really mess up a person's life.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:45 PM   #5
80sTrivia
Forum Veteran
Pop Culture Soothsayer

Definitely a sad, cautionary tale. Brett could have had the world, as she co-created Grace Under Fire. If she had kept it together, the show certainly would have gone on for another few seasons and then she could have made millions from a syndication deal.

Thank You for Being a Friend: A Golden Girls Trivia Book

The Totally Awesome 80s TV Trivia Book!
Old 12-06-2011, 10:57 AM   #6
Rambo Stallone
Frequent Poster

I don't really believe it I remember she was really hard to deal with the networks and possibly now can't get roles because of it. She was paid well, probably trying to get publicity. I doubt she is bankrupt, maybe only have a few Millions in something, these Celebrities always go to the extreme saying they homeless then you find they have 80 million dollars in things they have but it's tied up.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:00 AM   #7
Rambo Stallone
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sTrivia
Definitely a sad, cautionary tale. Brett could have had the world, as she co-created Grace Under Fire. If she had kept it together, the show certainly would have gone on for another few seasons and then she could have made millions from a syndication deal.
Rubbish the series Run for 112 episodes so it goes in syndication deal, so she be getting royalty. The Series was from the 90 not the 60s also so their Managers would have secured good deals for them. The problem is the show doesn't rate and is one of these shows that look outdated today. The star of the show to me was Dave Thomas and his Dad on it Tom Poston that made it funny.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:56 PM   #8
ThomasE
Forum Veteran

I loved the show. It's not too dated. You team it up with "Roseanne" and it would be just fine. She caused people to leave the show. She was off her rocker back in the day.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:02 AM   #9
Stuck In The '70's
Forum Legend

The show isn't dated. The first 3 seasons were great. The last 2 weren't as good. I think that's what hurts the show in syndication. Brett was on top of the world and she blew it. I wish her only the best right now.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:13 PM   #10
80sTrivia
Forum Veteran
Pop Culture Soothsayer

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo Stallone
Rubbish the series Run for 112 episodes so it goes in syndication deal, so she be getting royalty. The Series was from the 90 not the 60s also so their Managers would have secured good deals for them. The problem is the show doesn't rate and is one of these shows that look outdated today. The star of the show to me was Dave Thomas and his Dad on it Tom Poston that made it funny.

You definitely don't have any right to call what I said rubbish, thank you very much...
Old 06-06-2012, 08:07 PM   #11
hawkeye123

That is really sad.I loved this show and thought it was hillarious.She was a great actor and comedian.I hope she gets her act together.I would of never suspected this from her charecthor.
George Costanza: George Costanza as you know him, Ceases to Exist! You see, right now, I have Relationship George, but there is also Independent George. That's the George you know, the George you grew up with - Movie George, Coffee shop George, Liar George, Bawdy George.
Jerry Seinfeld: I, I love that George.
George Costanza: Me Too! And he's Dying Jerry! If Relationship George walks through this door, he will Kill Independent George! A George, divided against itself, Cannot Stand!
Old 06-06-2012, 08:07 PM   #12
hawkeye123

That is really sad.I loved this show and thought it was hillarious.She was a great actor and comedian.I hope she gets her act together.I would of never suspected this from her charecthor.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:10 PM   #13
liane49
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo Stallone
I don't really believe it I remember she was really hard to deal with the networks and possibly now can't get roles because of it. She was paid well, probably trying to get publicity. I doubt she is bankrupt, maybe only have a few Millions in something, these Celebrities always go to the extreme saying they homeless then you find they have 80 million dollars in things they have but it's tied up.
If you go on goggle it says she's homeless.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:15 PM   #14
RetroGuy2000
Forum Regular

So very sad. She had/has so much comedic talent. It's terrible that she let drugs get in the way of her dreams, and that she's still paying the price 15+ years later.

Brett was one celebrity who came to the town where I lived, back in 1998, when she was at the height of her fame, and she was very funny and nice. I wish her the best of luck getting her back on her feet.