Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 2010s Sitcoms > The Odd Couple (2015-2017)
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-15-2017, 03:02 PM   #1
JamesG
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow

TV CBS Cancels "The Odd Couple"

"The Odd Couple" Officially Cancelled after 3 Seasons on CBS
by Ryan Schwartz
May 15, 2017

Oscar and Felix, consider this your official eviction notice. CBS has formally cancelled "The Odd Couple" after three seasons, TVLine has learned.

The writing had been on the wall for the Matthew Perry/Thomas Lennon-led sitcom for months. Back in November, the network opted not to order an additional back-nine episodes for the series’ third season, capping it at just 13.

http://tvline.com/2017/05/15/the-odd...-season-4-cbs/
Old 05-15-2017, 06:09 PM   #2
robyrob
Forum Legend
certified wackball#3

it had pretty much run its course anyways
Old 06-07-2017, 12:13 PM   #3
liane60
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by robyrob
it had pretty much run its course anyways
I like it and Mathew Perry too.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:35 PM   #4
Chocolate Moose

Oh ... I'm just reading this. Too bad - I liked it!
Old 06-27-2017, 03:44 PM   #5
MikaelaArsenault
Ciao, baby!

That show didn't even last long at all.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:51 PM   #6
JamesG
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikaelaArsenault
That show didn't even last long at all.

It had 3 seasons which was more than what some other shows have had.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:54 PM   #7
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

I don't think CBS really got behind the show with any real muscle; for two out of the three short seasons it was on, it was a mid-season replacement show and the time slot shuffles didn't help.

It never really gelled for me creatively. I thought Thomas Lennon nailed Felix, but Matthew Perry's Oscar never quite came together the way I would've hoped.

It was never more than just an okay show or a show to watch just because it was on. I lost interest early on in the third season, sometimes forgetting it was even on and just fell out.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:27 PM   #8
James28
Michael Jackson - DCS Leader

With the recent cancellation of the 2015 version of The Odd Couple, is Matthew Perry eventually going to become the next Robert Urich? Perry has had three series end up cancelled after one year (Go On, Mr. Sunshine (2011), Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip).
Old 06-27-2017, 06:28 PM   #9
MikaelaArsenault
Ciao, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG
It had 3 seasons which was more than what some other shows have had.

But three seasons still really isn't that long.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:10 PM   #10
Hazel Anyday
Forum Regular

Default Oscar, Oscar, Oscar

Especially when you consider that each "season" was really only a 1/2 season, the show was always a 1/2 season program, that said it was really only 1 1/2 seasons all together. I did like the show too, it was the ONLY show on any of the major networks that I did watch. While it was never as good as the original it was still enjoyable and fun to watch. I agree the guy who played Felix did a great job of nailing the part, he was a lot like Tony Randall (though more gayish than Tony played it) but still a good job. And though I did like Matthew Perry's Oscar, it never really came to life the way Jack Klugman did it. I think Perry's was too nice and "sensitive" to be a real Oscar, but still not bad and I still liked watching the show. Sorry now that I won't be watching any new shows on the networks now.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:37 PM   #11
Duster76
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Anyday
Especially when you consider that each "season" was really only a 1/2 season, the show was always a 1/2 season program, that said it was really only 1 1/2 seasons all together. I did like the show too, it was the ONLY show on any of the major networks that I did watch. While it was never as good as the original it was still enjoyable and fun to watch. I agree the guy who played Felix did a great job of nailing the part, he was a lot like Tony Randall (though more gayish than Tony played it) but still a good job. And though I did like Matthew Perry's Oscar, it never really came to life the way Jack Klugman did it. I think Perry's was too nice and "sensitive" to be a real Oscar, but still not bad and I still liked watching the show. Sorry now that I won't be watching any new shows on the networks now.

Excellent point on the season length. Full run network shows are 24 episodes, in three years this show produced only 38 episodes (not close to two seasons worth).

I think the real problem with this show is the concept is too dated. The Odd Couple isn't just about a slob and a net freak living together, it's about two middle age men dealing with midlife crisis issues in 1960's Manhattan. The Oscar of the 1960's play and movie was in his own words, "dejected, despondent and disgusted". That character doesn't translate into someone living in a modern apartment, hosting his own radio show from home with an agent. The Odd Couple was a slice of Jewish Rye, not a slice of Wonder Bread. It just never felt right.

Sheldon and Leonard in The Big Bang Theory's golden years was a modern version of Felix and Oscar. I guess my point is you can't go home again with these characters, they were men of their time.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:54 PM   #12
Marvo301
Forum Veteran
I'm NOT a Blockhead!

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Thong
I don't think CBS really got behind the show with any real muscle; for two out of the three short seasons it was on, it was a mid-season replacement show and the time slot shuffles didn't help.

It never really gelled for me creatively. I thought Thomas Lennon nailed Felix, but Matthew Perry's Oscar never quite came together the way I would've hoped.

It was never more than just an okay show or a show to watch just because it was on. I lost interest early on in the third season, sometimes forgetting it was even on and just fell out.
I always thought Matthew Perry was miscast in the role of Oscar.

A life isn't worth living unless it has impact on other lives. Jackie Robinson

Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man. Benjamin Franklin