Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Hazel links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Hazel Photo Gallery

Hazel - The Complete First Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete First Season on DVD
Hazel - The Complete Second Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Hazel - The Complete Third Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Hazel - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Hazel - The Complete Fifth and Final Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete Fifth and Final Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > Hazel
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

2014 Thanksgiving TV Marathons on TV This Holiday Weekend
Antenna TV's Classic Christmas Collection and Through the Years Marathons; Cristela Gets Full Season on ABC
COZI TV's Annual Holidozi Marathon; Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Moves to Netflix With 2 Season Order
FX and FXX January Has Many Premieres; Cougar Town Celebrates 100th Episode
Week 9 TV Ratings and Analysis; How the Sitcoms Did
SitcomsOnline Digest: Hot in Cleveland to End; Netflix Picks up Tina Fey Comedy; Wonder Years Season 2 DVDs
Fox Mid-Season 2015 Schedule; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of November 24, 2014)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series Sgt. Bilko - The Phil Silvers Show - The Complete Series Family Ties - The Complete Series Happy Days - The Sixth Season The Jeffersons - The Complete Series Mork & Mindy - The Complete Series

10/07 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Christmas Episodes
10/07 - The Flying Nun - The Complete First and Second Seasons (Mill Creek)
10/07 - The Middle - The Complete Fifth Season (Warner Archive)
10/07 - The Office - The Complete Series
10/07 - The Wonder Years - Season One
10/10 - The Wonder Years - The Complete Series - Review / The Signature Edition / Seasons 1-3
10/14 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Third Season
10/14 - Two and a Half Men - The Complete Eleventh Season
10/21 - Married with Children - Seasons 5 and 6 (Mill Crek)
10/21 - The Soul Man - The Complete Second Season
10/21 - Square Pegs - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/28 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series / Review
11/04 - Hot in Cleveland - Season Five
11/04 - Napoleon Dynamite - The Complete Animated Series
11/04 - Sgt. Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show) - The Complete Series / Review
11/11 - Dads - The Complete Series
11/11 - Family Ties - The Complete Series
11/11 - My Favorite Martian - Best of Collection
11/11 - Taxi - The Complete Series
11/11 - Wings - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/18 - King of the Hill - The Complete Seventh Season / The Complete Eighth Season
11/25 - Better Off Ted - The Complete Second Season
12/02 - Happy Days - The Sixth Season
12/09 - Barney Miller - The Complete Sixth Season
12/09 - The Jeffersons - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mister Ed - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mork & Mindy - The Fourth Season / The Complete Series
12/16 - The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis - The Final (Fourth) Season
12/23 - My Favorite Martian - Season Two - Collector's Edition
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 02-12-2012, 03:49 PM   #1
PracTz
Forum Regular

Default Hazel's Boss's Namesake Recalled

Though there will undoubtably be a media circus trainwreck over her death on February 11th, I think it should be mentioned that the late Miss Houston's mother Cissy named her after Whitney Blake who'd played a maid's gorgeous employer back in the day.
I wonder if the late Miss Blake ever knew that Miss Houston was named for her and, if so, what she thought because, within Miss Blake's lifetime, Miss Houston became far more famous than she or even her own daughter Meredith Baxter!
P.S. I never heard of anyone naming their son 'Don' after Mr. DeFore due to admiring his work on this show!
Old 02-12-2012, 03:56 PM   #2
Zoneboy
Forum Celebrity
RIP, I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU :(

Location: AT HOME WISHING ALL THIS WAS JUST A DREAM AND THAT I'LL WAKE UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE.

Do you have any proof that she was in fact named after Whitney Blake? There's nothing on her Wiki page that supports this claim but of course that doesn't mean anything.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:04 PM   #3
PracTz
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoneboy
Do you have any proof that she was in fact named after Whitney Blake? There's nothing on her Wiki page that supports this claim but of course that doesn't mean anything.

IIRC, either Cissy or the recently deceased entertainer herself admitted this in an interview. I can't pinpoint said interview but that's what I recall. Wiki doesn't know everything.

For what it's worth, the IMDB pages for both Miss Blake and Miss Houston claim Miss Houston being the former's namesake.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:23 PM   #4
Zoneboy
Forum Celebrity
RIP, I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU :(

Location: AT HOME WISHING ALL THIS WAS JUST A DREAM AND THAT I'LL WAKE UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracTz
For what it's worth, the IMDB pages for both Miss Blake and Miss Houston claim Miss Houston being the former's namesake.

IMDb is about as unreliable as Wiki.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:46 PM   #5
Hazel Anyday
Forum Regular

As long as we're making up stuff, did you know Don Draper (Mad Men) was named after Don Defore? As was Don's McNeil, O'Connor, & Rumsfeld!
Old 02-15-2012, 10:22 AM   #6
old grouch

I have heard the story about Whitney Houston being named after Whitney Blake, too, but I don't know if it's true or not. It could be. Lots of parents name their kids for actors or characters that are popular at the time.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:08 PM   #7
Leslie Eckhardt
Banned!!
Banned

Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by old grouch
I have heard the story about Whitney Houston being named after Whitney Blake, too, but I don't know if it's true or not. It could be. Lots of parents name their kids for actors or characters that are popular at the time.
I also have heard this, but if it's true, it's probably because her mother just liked the name, not because she was a rabid Whitney Blake fan. As for me, when I was a little boy, I thought Whitney was primarily a boy's name. (This coming from a boy named Leslie!)