Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Hazel links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Hazel Photo Gallery

Hazel - The Complete First Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete First Season on DVD
Hazel - The Complete Second Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Hazel - The Complete Third Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Hazel - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Hazel - The Complete Fifth and Final Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete Fifth and Final Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > Hazel
User Name
Password

Headlines / New on DVD/Blu-ray
SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines:

Antenna TV Spends Mother's Day with Hazel; HBO Picks Up Comedies Veep, Silicon Valley
CBS Midseason Pilot Review: Bad Teacher - Premieres Thursday, April 24; Rookie Blue Coming to ION Television in Fall 2014
Bill Cosby to Be Honored with Johnny Carson Award; SNL Celebrates 40th Anniversary in 2015
Sullivan & Son Returns with All-Star Guests; George Lopez Developing Animated Series
Review of Tonight's Devious Maids Premiere; Week 30 TV Ratings and Analysis; How the Sitcoms Did
SitcomsOnline Digest: SNL Looking to 40th Anniversary; New Mill Creek DVD Releases
The CW Summer 2014 Schedule; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of April 21, 2014)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April)

The Class - The Complete Series Mayberry R.F.D. - The Complete First Season Anger Management - Volume Three The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fourth Season Petticoat Junction - The Official Third Season Newhart - The Complete Third Season

04/01 - The Class - The Complete Series
04/01 - The Cosby Show - Seasons 3 and 4 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Mary Tyler Moore Episodes
04/01 - I Dream of Jeannie - Seasons 1 and 2 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - Married with Children - Seasons 3 and 4 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - NewsRadio - Seasons 1 and 2 (Mill Creek)
04/08 - Holliston - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
04/08 - Mayberry R.F.D. - The Complete First Season
04/15 - Anger Management - Volume Three (Blu-ray)
04/15 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fourth Season
04/15 - Petticoat Junction - The Official First and Second Seasons
04/15 - Petticoat Junction - The Official Third Season
04/22 - Newhart - The Complete Third Season
04/29 - Dynasty - The Eighth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-24-2011, 09:51 AM   #16
Robert 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroTVfan4ever
I actually enjoy this episode rather well. This was 1966, I imagine many parents might have reacted this way if their kids tried to form a rock band. The use of reverse psychology is amusing with the way they dress themselves up, especially Hazel!
I agree. I always found this episode a riot, especially for (as retroTVfan4ever mentioned) Hazel's outfit. But it totally wouldn't hold up for today's audience unless you keep it in perspective with the sign of the times.

- Dolcenera
Old 05-24-2011, 03:17 PM   #17
Hazel Anyday
Forum Regular

Keep in mind, this is a TV show. I remember as a kid in the '60's everytime a prime time TV show tried to portray rock music, it was always lousy and goofball sounding, I remember thinking, this is the adult's version of what rock is. Same way when "hippies" were portrayed, always unrealistic and stupid. But these shows were written by adults at the time, who grew up with big band music or even tin pan alley '20's music, these shows weren't written by teenagers. To these narrow minded writers Tommy Dorsey was still the "bee's knees", & this is how they thought of rock music "it's just a fad" was the most common heard statement at the time.

Even the fact that they have all the adults in this Hazel episode dressing like beatnicks which to the apparently elderly writers is the same thing as hippies shows how out of touch the writers are in relating to any true culture of the then present day. Beatnicks and hippies are 2 completely different things, but to these stodgy writers with views from the '20's to '40's, they're the same. So I always excuse these type shows as being products of narrow minded out of touch writers and don't blame my favorite shows for these depictions.

Also this twist in the story (the straights dressing the way they think the "kids" are dressing to make them change to "normal") was a common storyline trick. Almost as common as the evil twin stroryline. I believe even I Love Lucy did a variation of this storytrick Lucy & Ethel acting sloppy to show Ricky & Fred how they look to them, the Flintstones did it, Father Knows Best, My 3 Sons did it to a degree and to the nth degree when it comes to an examples of really bad generic sounding "rock" that was supposed to be real rock. I think this was just a storyline trick that other shows shared.

And to whether Harold's hair and his "Leaping Lizards" buddies hair was long? I can remember quite well in 1968 my hair was a 1/4 of an inch over my ear and I was called a long haired hippie. Most boys had either crew cuts or very short hair at the time. So Harold's hair in 1966 could have been considered very long for the time. The funny thing is I also remember a year later the other boys hair was a lot longer than mine and these were the same jerks that called me a long hair.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:44 PM   #18
Ronny G
Forum Regular

While we're on the subject of Harold's "hippie" hair, I thought it looked odd that one side of his "bangs" was longer than the other side. I guess he grew one side longer for when he had it combed over and parted to the side.

It reminded me of those older, balding men who grow one side of their hair longer and comb it over their bald spot to cover it up.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:57 AM   #19
TeeVeeCloset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Anyday
Keep in mind, this is a TV show. I remember as a kid in the '60's everytime a prime time TV show tried to portray rock music, it was always lousy and goofball sounding, I remember thinking, this is the adult's version of what rock is. Same way when "hippies" were portrayed, always unrealistic and stupid. But these shows were written by adults at the time, who grew up with big band music or even tin pan alley '20's music, these shows weren't written by teenagers. To these narrow minded writers Tommy Dorsey was still the "bee's knees", & this is how they thought of rock music "it's just a fad" was the most common heard statement at the time.

Even the fact that they have all the adults in this Hazel episode dressing like beatnicks which to the apparently elderly writers is the same thing as hippies shows how out of touch the writers are in relating to any true culture of the then present day. Beatnicks and hippies are 2 completely different things, but to these stodgy writers with views from the '20's to '40's, they're the same. So I always excuse these type shows as being products of narrow minded out of touch writers and don't blame my favorite shows for these depictions.

Also this twist in the story (the straights dressing the way they think the "kids" are dressing to make them change to "normal") was a common storyline trick. Almost as common as the evil twin stroryline. I believe even I Love Lucy did a variation of this storytrick Lucy & Ethel acting sloppy to show Ricky & Fred how they look to them, the Flintstones did it, Father Knows Best, My 3 Sons did it to a degree and to the nth degree when it comes to an examples of really bad generic sounding "rock" that was supposed to be real rock. I think this was just a storyline trick that other shows shared.

And to whether Harold's hair and his "Leaping Lizards" buddies hair was long? I can remember quite well in 1968 my hair was a 1/4 of an inch over my ear and I was called a long haired hippie. Most boys had either crew cuts or very short hair at the time. So Harold's hair in 1966 could have been considered very long for the time. The funny thing is I also remember a year later the other boys hair was a lot longer than mine and these were the same jerks that called me a long hair.

from someone from the same generation and the same love of these series, VERY WELL SAID...I applaud your well thought out educated words...not a knock to the original poster.

BTW... spending most of the entire Memorial Day 2011 weekend transferring Hazel, Season 5 to DVD from my recent Antenna TV recordings.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:57 AM   #20
Tom_Clark
Occasional Poster

Thinking back (I was a teenager at the time), I think I recall that CBS wanted to get rid of DeFore and Blake (and the Johnsons) and bring in a younger couple in order to improve the demographics of HAZEL. "Improving" always meant attracting a younger audience. You know, most advertisers really only want the 18-49 age group to see their commercials.

I don't think they achieved their goal. The next season, HAZEL was replaced with FAMILY AFFAIR.
Old 06-25-2011, 01:08 PM   #21
Duster76
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Clark
Thinking back (I was a teenager at the time), I think I recall that CBS wanted to get rid of DeFore and Blake (and the Johnsons) and bring in a younger couple in order to improve the demographics of HAZEL. "Improving" always meant attracting a younger audience. You know, most advertisers really only want the 18-49 age group to see their commercials.

I don't think they achieved their goal. The next season, HAZEL was replaced with FAMILY AFFAIR.

I think the primary reason DeFore and Blake were let go was to save money. Itr was cheaper to produce the series going with two unknowns in the roles of Mr. and Mrs Baxter. I think you are correct to suggest with the first piece of business out of the way (Defore and Blake not being renewed), the second piece of business was to take the show in a new direction by getting younger.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:29 PM   #22
Leslie Eckhardt
Banned!!
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroTVfan4ever
I actually enjoy this episode rather well. This was 1966, I imagine many parents might have reacted this way if their kids tried to form a rock band. The use of reverse psychology is amusing with the way they dress themselves up, especially Hazel!
I believe that the "inspiration" for this episode came from an episode of December Bride where Lily (Spring Byington) did a similar "beatnik" impersonation. She even read a similar type of poetry: "Bless-ed are the depress-ed. Caress-ed are the depress-ed. Surpress-ed are the Depress-ed. For they sleep on a bed of nails." The title to this show may have been "The Beat Generation" and it came late in the series. You haven't lived until you've seen Verna Felton in beatnik drag!
Old 10-05-2013, 07:04 AM   #23
biffbronson

The episode "My Son the Sheepdog" is also notable for Lynn Borden's outfit: A miniskirt with knee-high boots. It's easy to see why this lady was Miss Arizona 1957 who went on to compete well in the Miss America pageant. Here she is in her early '30s, 1972:

"For you are beautiful ~ And I have loved you dearly ~ More dearly than the spoken word can tell..."
Old 10-05-2013, 10:35 AM   #24
retroTVfan4ever
Forum Regular

Those pictures of Lynn Borden must be from Frogs, the 1972 movie she was in. She's a lovely looking lady, that's for sure.

Getting back to the My Son The Sheepdog episode, I can understand why the episodes ending can be seen as contrived, but I just figure that's how the writers wanted it. They wanted the boys to go back to being themselves and give up the idea of having a rock band. Considering their ages at the time, they were a bit too young to be in a band anyway. A few years older and it would have been more believeable.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:21 PM   #25
biffbronson

I did think the episode had some nice touches. For example, it's fun to see Julia Benjamin's character rocking out. This ep in general was one of the most animated of the series.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:13 PM   #26
Fontaine
Frequent Poster

Did Ray Fulmer ever appear in anything else?