Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

I Dream of Jeannie links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / I Dream of Jeannie Photo Gallery

I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete First Season (Black & White)

Buy I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete First Season (Black & White) on DVD
I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete First Season (Colorized)

Buy I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete First Season (Colorized) on DVD
I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Second Season

Buy I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Second Season on DVD
I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Third Season

Buy I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Third Season on DVD
I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
I Dream of Jeannie - Seasons 1 and 2 (Mill Creek)

Buy I Dream of Jeannie - Seasons 1 and 2 (Mill Creek) on DVD
I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Series (2013 Release)

Buy I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Series (2013 Release) on DVD
I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)

Buy I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) on DVD

Buy I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Series (2008 Release) on DVD / Buy I Dream of Jeannie...Fifteen Years Later (TV Movie) on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > I Dream of Jeannie

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: BoJack Horseman is as Delightfully Sad as Ever in Season 5; The Guest Book Returns Oct. 23 on TBS with More Guests
The Goldbergs Coming to TV Land; grown-ish Returns in January on Freeform
South Park 8 Day Marathon on Comedy Central; Classic Adult Swim Comedy Returns with Special
NBC Fall Pilot Review: I Feel Bad - Premieres Wednesday (Sept. 19); 70th Annual Primetime Emmy Award Winners
Married with Children Now on WGN America; black-ish Enters National Syndication and Free Sneakers Contest
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of September 17, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: ABC Orders Script for Designing Women Reboot; James Marsden and Ed Asner Cast in Netflix Series
Fri-Yay: A Look at the Upcoming Sitcom Slate; TV Guide's 1st Annual 100 Best Shows List

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September)

The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season Step by Step - The Complete Second Season Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season

08/07 - Happy Endings - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
08/15 - A.P. Bio - Season One
08/28 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Five
08/28 - Man Seeking Woman - The Complete Third Season
09/04 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Season 12
09/04 - Mom - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Superstore - Season Three
09/04 - Young Sheldon - The Complete First Season
09/11 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season (Blu-ray)
09/11 - The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - People of Earth - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - Community - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
09/18 - Step by Step - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fourth Season
09/25 - Blondie - The Complete 1957 Television Series
09/25 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-13-2018, 04:02 PM   #76
ParadiseKendra
Occasional Poster

Thumbs up

My argument in favor of "I Dream of Jeannie" ...

Jeannie and Anthony's Love

Jeannie and Tony's love story is so much more romantic to me than Darrin and Samantha's. Darrin loved Samantha but was appalled by her magic and preferred that she not be a witch. He was angered and frustrated by the magical part of her and it didn't seem to lessen over time as much as it should have. Anthony, on the other hand, knew from day one that Jeannie was a genie and although she repeatedly got him into so much trouble, he never tried to talk her out of being a Jeannie nor was he disgusted by her magical abilities. He was charmed by her and found her amusing, loving, and fun.

Darrin was such a grumpy old fuss budget most of the time that the romantic scenes between Darrin and Sam weren't as impactful as they were probably supposed to be because he spent so much more time criticizing her and her family. Darrin was lucky to have Samantha in the first place! lol. The episode where it's Tony & Genie's 6 month anniversary and they both fail to get each other's presents in time and they confess that to each other in her bottle, that is SO ROMANTIC. Jeannie tried so hard to make him his gift without using any magic and when she failed, Tony made her feel better by saying that he didn't get anything for her either. And the love and relief in her eyes when she said, "Oh that is wonderful!" I mean seriously, that's what love is. OMG, I get goosebumps with that scene. So, the love story on IDOJ is an automatic win for me.

The Ensemble

The cast of I Dream of Jeannie was PHENONEMAL. Every character was star quality, honing their craft perfectly for their character. It is a genuine comedy show. Doctor and Amanda Bellows BEHAVE like a couple who have been married forever and both of them have crisp theatrical training that adds to the dimension of their physical comedy. Hayden is definitely "of the theatre". He adds polish to the show with his refined skill. Roger is absolute light. In a way, he is the constant, the one who will never betray Jeannie's secret, and on top of it, his oblivious, uncomplicated duhhhh-ness adds to his charm. There is no one like Roger. I can't even describe it because I don't want to say he's stupid, because he's not stupid exactly. He's more like innocently daffy from time to time. But he is loyal to a fault, helping keep Jeannie's secret for almost the entire series. General Schaeffer was HILARIOUS. I believed he was a NASA General. He had the look, the authority, the seasoned experience, and yet he had this brilliant ability to deliver the comedy. Wow. Just wow.

What is important about Jeannie's ensemble is although they are fabulous, Jeannie and Tony hold onto the spotlight. They are never outdone by their supporting cast. On Bewitched, I feel like the opposite is true. Without Endora, the show would've lacked about 70% of it's charm. Endora provided that same refined acting skill that Doctor Bellows brought to Jeannie. But even more, Endora was Bewitched's royalty. Every time she walked into the room, you knew it was going to be a good scene. Aunt Clara, Larry Tate, Uncle Arthur, Doctor Bombay, Gladys and Abner Kravitz, these are iconic characters! When you list them all together like that, as much as I love Samantha and Darrin, they kind of fade away in the presence of such greatness.

So that's my argument. I love both shows, but Jeannie is the winner for me.
ParadiseKendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:34 PM   #77
80sTrivia
Pop Culture Soothsayer
Forum Veteran

Although I truly love both shows and they are unforgettable classics that will never go off the air, my heart has always leaned more to Jeannie! But I absolutely adored Samantha and Endora on Bewitched!
80sTrivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 02:19 PM   #78
Duster76
Frequent Poster

The shows are actually very different from each other, Bewitched appeals more to women, it's a relation based comedy generally a much more subdued show than Jeannie. I Dream of Jeannie is clearly a guy's show, lots of physical comedy, running amok, nothing laid back about this show. All the comedy went out of Bewitched with the exit of Dick York, Jeannie was funny right up until the end.

My point, women generally are going to vote for Bewitched, men, I Dream of Jeannie. This is a difference of the sexes issue, the classic example, all men love The Three Stooges, all women hate them.
Duster76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 04:59 PM   #79
PhoenixAcres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster76
The shows are actually very different from each other, Bewitched appeals more to women, it's a relation based comedy generally a much more subdued show than Jeannie. I Dream of Jeannie is clearly a guy's show, lots of physical comedy, running amok, nothing laid back about this show. All the comedy went out of Bewitched with the exit of Dick York, Jeannie was funny right up until the end.

My point, women generally are going to vote for Bewitched, men, I Dream of Jeannie. This is a difference of the sexes issue, the classic example, all men love The Three Stooges, all women hate them.
The shows are different, yes, but I have never considered the fandoms to be split on the gender lines. In fact I've found the opposite to be true. Gender stereotypes, as far as who finds what funny, are rarely accurate. People will watch shows they enjoy, for reasons of their own, despite what demographic studies say.

I know a lot of girls who find The Three Stooges funny so that's wrong as well.
PhoenixAcres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 11:36 PM   #80
Duster76
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAcres
The shows are different, yes, but I have never considered the fandoms to be split on the gender lines. In fact I've found the opposite to be true. Gender stereotypes, as far as who finds what funny, are rarely accurate. People will watch shows they enjoy, for reasons of their own, despite what demographic studies say.

I know a lot of girls who find The Three Stooges funny so that's wrong as well.
There are exceptions to every rule, but generally speaking women don't care for The Three Stooges.

With respect to the two shows under discussion, it doesn't mean that men didn't like Bewitched or that some men might like Bewitched more, if the question is which show do you like better, most men will pick Jeannie over Bewitched.
Duster76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:55 PM   #81
PhoenixAcres

Quote:
There are exceptions to every rule, but generally speaking women don't care for The Three Stooges.

With respect to the two shows under discussion, it doesn't mean that men didn't like Bewitched or that some men might like Bewitched more, if the question is which show do you like better, most men will pick Jeannie over Bewitched.
I suppose that's true if speaking in generalizations.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:56 PM   #82
PhoenixAcres

I've said this in past threads, but I've always been a fan of I Dream of Jeannie.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:57 AM   #83
Fallon97
Forum Regular

Quote:

I disagree. I know plenty of women that either like both or prefer "I Dream of Jeannie."
Fallon97 is offline   Reply With Quote