Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Soaps Photo Gallery


Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Soaps

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: ABC Buys Rural Comedy From "Liberal Redneck" Trae Crowder; Crossover Event Planned for Big Bang Theory and Young Sheldon
Fri-Yay: An Appreciation for Mike Schur's Comedies; IFC Acquires Pee-wee's Playhouse
Drunk History and Corporate Return in January; Jim Gaffigan Returns with Comedy Central Special
The Dick Van Dyke Show and I Love Lucy in Color on Dec. 14; The CW Sets January 2019 Premiere Dates
getTV 2018 Holiday Marathons Schedule; truTV Comedy Returns for 3rd Season
Freeform and ABC's 2018 25 Days of Christmas Schedule; The CW Orders Full Seasons of All Freshman Series
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 12, 2018)


New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)

The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection Alice - The Complete Eighth Season Step by Step - The Complete Third Season

10/02 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 6th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 7th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 8th Season
10/02 - Ghosted - The Complete First Season
10/02 - The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One / Volume Two
10/02 - Police Squad! - TV and Movie Collection
10/02 - Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection
10/16 - Community - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/23 - Alice - The Complete Eighth Season
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Two
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Three
10/31 - The Bad News Bears - The Complete Series - All 26 Episodes
11/01 - Episodes - Season 5
11/05 - Robin Williams - Comic Genius (includes Mork & Mindy)
11/06 - American Dad! - Volume 13
11/20 - Step by Step - The Complete Third Season
11/27 - What I Like About You - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-24-2017, 06:03 AM   #31
Mario500
Member
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 14, 2011
Posts: 272
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkys-Place
Pardon my ignorance but what does "the CW" stand for?
Were you referring to "the CW" that was being discussed here earlier? If so, its name was stated to had stood for CBS (as in the Columbia Broadcasting System) and Warner Bros. in reports regarding the creation of the entity for which they stood (a national TV programming service).
Mario500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:50 AM   #32
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"
Senior Member
 
Dr. Thong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 09, 2001
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Posts: 4,842
Default

It was the name taken when the UPN (United Paramount Network) and the WB network merged.
__________________
"Sunday has been cancelled due to lack of interest. That is all."
Dr. Thong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 12:40 PM   #33
tvfreak1987
Member
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 10, 2009
Location: Jackson, MI
Posts: 574
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkys-Place
Pardon my ignorance but what does "the CW" stand for?
CBS/WB. CBS was part owner of UPN by the time of the merger with The WB to form the CW.
tvfreak1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:08 AM   #34
Christopher
Member
Forum Veteran
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 14, 2001
Posts: 13,632
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC
One argument that I've just heard is that being on The CW is in a way, the modern day version of being on a daytime soap opera. While it's a step up from being a waiter, you're still not considered a real actor yet. It's also like being on a Canadian TV show.

I disagree. Stars like Jensen Ackles, Jared Padalecki, and Nick Zano have all been in box office hits as a main star in the movie they were each in. I didn't know this about Jensen's movie, My Bloody Valentine, until researching but it made millions for Hollywood even on DVD / Blu Ray. It takes a real actor to achieve that kind of accomplishment. There's other actors who from The CW shows have been in hits on other networks. Wentworth Miller, Victor Garber, and Calista Flockhart to name a few were on some big shows from FOX and ABC. It's a weak argument to say the actors from The CW shows aren't real actors yet. The real reason some of these actors / actresses are on The CW is because the bigger 4 networks don't have faith in the shows they're in. CBS has passed on a few shows that went to The CW. The CW is still a struggling network trying to find its place among primetime. At one point the superhero shows were it, but now teeny bopper show Riverdale and the 13 year old Supernatural are the ones making money than most of the superhero shows for the network. The Flash is the only superhero show that continues to be successful.
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:19 PM   #36
adamchandler
Member
Frequent Poster
 
adamchandler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 14, 2009
Location: chicago
Posts: 186
Default

I know it's not a lot them in the daytime anymore. IMO, soap opera's are still alive and well. The spirit lives on in web series, reality tv and more than half of the prime time dramas, even the sitcoms give me soap opera vibes. ABC tried to recreate that daytime magic with the Shonda Rhimes thursday night block, all soap operas. I always looked at Grey's as GH Scandal as Capitol and HTGAWM as the Edge of Night of Prime time lol.
__________________
Catch Brandy as villainous Cassie Brown on Fox’s STAR every Wednesday!!!https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/tw...on/id564939499
adamchandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 03:04 AM   #37
TMC
Member
Forum Celebrity
 
Join Date: Jan 09, 2001
Posts: 31,250
Default

Viewers are likely are burnt out on following a storyline and not getting a good payoff at the end of it. That's one reason why viewers finally gave up on soaps. Far too many shows lead you on to believe that eventually you'd get a satisfying conclusion and instead the show would give you nothing for all the time you wasted watching.

And with all due respect, anyone who has a life cannot commit to 250 episodes of garbage a year. Where or who exactly are the audience now? From what I've heard, the mean age for them is early/mid 60s. And women (housewives were the main target for soap operas for many years) for the most part, work. With all of the binge-worthy stuff on Netflix, I don't think a soap would be must watch TV. In particular one, that someone has to commit to watching every day.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:22 AM   #38
tlc38tlc38
Knock! Knock!
Forum Veteran
 
tlc38tlc38's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 02, 2008
Location: Either in Raytown or Dollywood
Posts: 12,331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC
Viewers are likely are burnt out on following a storyline and not getting a good payoff at the end of it. That's one reason why viewers finally gave up on soaps. Far too many shows lead you on to believe that eventually you'd get a satisfying conclusion and instead the show would give you nothing for all the time you wasted watching.

And with all due respect, anyone who has a life cannot commit to 250 episodes of garbage a year. Where or who exactly are the audience now? From what I've heard, the mean age for them is early/mid 60s. And women (housewives were the main target for soap operas for many years) for the most part, work. With all of the binge-worthy stuff on Netflix, I don't think a soap would be must watch TV. In particular one, that someone has to commit to watching every day.
Seriously, you want to call it "garbage" and say anyone who watches soaps have no life? LOL...this coming from someone who does nothing but copy and paste worthless clickbait crap on this site and probably other sites ALL day long....talk about someone with no life.
__________________
Give generously to them and do so without a grudging heart; then because of this the LORD your God will bless you in all your work and in everything you put your hand to.
Deuteronomy 15:10
In loving memory of my best friend, my Mama.
tlc38tlc38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:47 PM   #39
TMC
Member
Forum Celebrity
 
Join Date: Jan 09, 2001
Posts: 31,250
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc38tlc38
Seriously, you want to call it "garbage" and say anyone who watches soaps have no life? LOL...this coming from someone who does nothing but copy and paste worthless clickbait crap on this site and probably other sites ALL day long....talk about someone with no life.
Why do you think that I'm insulting soap watchers!? My point is that there has to be a good and rational reason why soaps are declining in popularity and relevance. I never said specifically that soap watchers "don't have lives". Maybe I should've clarified, buy what I meant to say is that watching a daytime soap opera every single day for an entire calendar year, is a massive commitment. And it for most people, can understandably be hard to keep track of when they have other things that they need to do like go to work or school.

And when I said "garbage", I'm referring to the quality of the soaps and writing not soaps in general. That would be like me saying that all reality shows are bad or have no redeeming values. Why don't you read between the lines before you start to attack my personal merits.

Last edited by TMC; 08-29-2018 at 03:32 AM.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:30 AM   #40
tlc38tlc38
Knock! Knock!
Forum Veteran
 
tlc38tlc38's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 02, 2008
Location: Either in Raytown or Dollywood
Posts: 12,331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC
Why do you think that I'm insulting soap watchers!? My point is that there has to be a good and rational reason why soaps are declining in popularity and relevance. I never said specifically that soap watchers "don't have lives". Maybe I should've clarified, buy what I meant to say is that watching a daytime soap opera every single day for an entire calendar year, is a massive commitment. And it for most people, can understandably be hard to keep track off when they have other things that they need to do like go to work or school.

And when I said "garbage", I'm referring to the quality of the soaps and writing not soaps in general. That would be like me saying that all reality shows are bad or have no redeeming values. Why don't you read between the lines before you start to attack my personal merits.
I'm too busy committing to my soap to read between the lines.
tlc38tlc38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:34 PM   #41
KatieAnn
Member
Frequent Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 15, 2011
Posts: 249
Default

There's no need to "commit to 250 episodes of 'garbage' a year" in order to watch soaps. Just like most other shows, soaps can be watched online or on demand at the viewer's convenience. One man's trash is another man's treasure. Quite often for every viewer complaining about how awful a particular story line is, there is a viewer who loves that particular story line.

A lot of people grew up watching soaps with their Mom or Grandma or babysitter during the summer months, and the characters from those days are still on the remaining shows today. There's a nostalgia and comfort factor in watching these remaining soaps. And the great thing is that you can skip the story lines that don't interest you, and you have access to information to know when to tune in to watch the characters you want to see.
KatieAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 03:33 AM   #42
TMC
Member
Forum Celebrity
 
Join Date: Jan 09, 2001
Posts: 31,250
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sTrivia View Post
I tried to watch this video a week or so ago and turned it off after a minute or so. The creator's assertion that there has never been high-caliber acting or compelling writing in the long history of the daytime drama is just plain ill-informed and wrong.

Case in point, Judith Light's mesmerizing performance on the witness stand during Vickie Lord's trial on One Life to Live in 1979, which was as compellingly acted and written as any big screen courtroom drama!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ez79MbbIeFA

Of course, soaps today are a sad shell of what they once were, due to dire budget cuts, and they will never have the glory they once did, sadly...
Soaps often get a bad rap now because of their production issues. Soaps are generally more about "quantity" and filler (since they have to produce roughly 250 episodes a year for five days a week unlike the roughly 22 for a weekly prime time show) instead of "quality". Actors simple don't have time to work on their performance much and the directors don't have time to do many takes. There's a reason why soaps use the multi-camera video technique, because it's the most practical method. The actors are given their scripts (dialogue is churned out quickly and nobody is asking for a rewrite to make it more realistic) and expected to turn up with what they learned, stand in the right place, and be ready to go. There's simply no need to get too creative and formulas can easily be adhered to. All that matters is the target audience wants and expects melodrama, conflict, good guys, bad guys and attractive people having arguments with each other.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 02:07 AM   #43
TMC
Member
Forum Celebrity
 
Join Date: Jan 09, 2001
Posts: 31,250
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
I disagree. Stars like Jensen Ackles, Jared Padalecki, and Nick Zano have all been in box office hits as a main star in the movie they were each in. I didn't know this about Jensen's movie, My Bloody Valentine, until researching but it made millions for Hollywood even on DVD / Blu Ray. It takes a real actor to achieve that kind of accomplishment. There's other actors who from The CW shows have been in hits on other networks. Wentworth Miller, Victor Garber, and Calista Flockhart to name a few were on some big shows from FOX and ABC. It's a weak argument to say the actors from The CW shows aren't real actors yet. The real reason some of these actors / actresses are on The CW is because the bigger 4 networks don't have faith in the shows they're in. CBS has passed on a few shows that went to The CW. The CW is still a struggling network trying to find its place among primetime. At one point the superhero shows were it, but now teeny bopper show Riverdale and the 13 year old Supernatural are the ones making money than most of the superhero shows for the network. The Flash is the only superhero show that continues to be successful.
Well let's put it this way, because of the manner for which the scenes in these daytime dramas as constructed, there are very slow dramatic arcs in each scene. Acting in those scenes teaches the actor to not drive the story forward, which is a very bad habit for actors to fall into. This is hard to overcome in an audition for bigger things like a prime time series of a feature film.

This could be one reason why many soap actors don't go on to do things beyond the genre. When you're on the air for five days a week for roughly 250 episodes in a single calendar year, they do get a little over exposed. This will make them not as “fresh” for major films and TV.

Also, for some actors (for example, Julianne Moore), being on a soap was just temporary work to them; they did not make a career out of being on a soap like say Susan Lucci or Erika Slezak.

Last edited by TMC; 06-28-2018 at 02:38 AM.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 07:30 PM   #44
TMC
Member
Forum Celebrity
 
Join Date: Jan 09, 2001
Posts: 31,250
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieAnn View Post
There's no need to "commit to 250 episodes of 'garbage' a year" in order to watch soaps. Just like most other shows, soaps can be watched online or on demand at the viewer's convenience. One man's trash is another man's treasure. Quite often for every viewer complaining about how awful a particular story line is, there is a viewer who loves that particular story line.

A lot of people grew up watching soaps with their Mom or Grandma or babysitter during the summer months, and the characters from those days are still on the remaining shows today. There's a nostalgia and comfort factor in watching these remaining soaps. And the great thing is that you can skip the story lines that don't interest you, and you have access to information to know when to tune in to watch the characters you want to see.
Either way, the very essence of soap opera is a continuing story that unfolds over years. As I said earlier, daytime soap operas and their long, complex narratives are really a commitment that seriously requires one's time and patience. And sometimes, daytime soaps can feel very slow and pandering. Maybe with better writing and better acting, the networks could revive soaps by not having them on every single day.

It isn't so much that there is no longer a calling for serialized storytelling. Modern shows like Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead or even Grey's Anatomy can be considered soaps. It's just that most modern audiences prefers it in 22 or 13 weekly episodes one season at a time. The only difference is that those shows don't run 5 days a week without reruns.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 03:23 PM   #45
TMC
Member
Forum Celebrity
 
Join Date: Jan 09, 2001
Posts: 31,250
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianne3 View Post
because there are no talk shows, cooking shows etc. to replace them with.

Yes, soaps are dying/dead. But the other shows on in the afternoons aren't doing that much better ratings wise.

That is why DOOL recently got another 1 year renewal. NBC doesn't have a replacement.
The decline of daytime soaps in the United States coincide with the birth and rise of cable TV. When cable came around, there were suddenly more viewing choices in the daytime. So 20 channel choices eventually became 100 -200 channel choices. Also, judge shows, talks shows, game shows, and reality shows were all cheaper to produce and began eating away at soap market shares. Networks soon realized they could put on a badly produced game show costing 1/10th of a soap and hit just as good a ratings. The remaining daytime soaps, will remain on the air as long as they're considered profitable.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:14 AM.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor vBulletin Solutions Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

VigLink badge

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.