Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Happy Days Online / Happy Days links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Happy Days Photo Gallery

Happy Days - The Complete First Season

Buy Happy Days - The Complete First Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Second Season

Buy Happy Days - The Second Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Third Season

Buy Happy Days - The Third Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fourth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fourth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fifth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fifth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Sixth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Sixth Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Happy Days
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Television Academy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced; Roswell Ready for Reboot
Fri-Yay: The Middle on The Top; Hulu Snags Futurama
Hallmark's Holly Robinson Peete Series Coming in February; Remembering Sitcom Writer Bob Schiller
Disney Picks Up 2nd Season of Raven Sitcom; Family Matters Cast Reunites

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-27-2017, 10:58 PM   #46
Alan Brady's Hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRickyII
Good grief, how much more can I spell this out? YES, I SAID IT.

You actually still haven't said that their purpose in being on the show was to compete about who has the most pathetic post-acting life. But I did say it, so we're past that. It just takes us deeper below the usual nonexistent line of credibility you'd attach to the Stern show.

Quote:
In her case, I believe her. I explained why I believe her. I explained (for the third time now) why I believe her, even though she was made this revelation on Howard Stern's show (who else was calling her to talk)? If you don't believe her, fine, you don't have to believe her. I believe her. And I believe Lauren Chapin, too. Do you doubt her as well?

I didn't pay any attention to the other two people. I have no doubt that Howard Stern wouldn't have her on the show unless she agreed to say something horrendous. I have no expectation that Stern would have any preference whether what she said was true or not.

Last edited by Alan Brady's Hair : 04-27-2017 at 11:29 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:15 PM   #47
stevea

Quote:
Oh gosh, I don't think I can briefly explain that, but I'll try. I'm going by memory here, so I'm sure I'm leaving a lot out. But she had all kinds of abuse as a child, emotional and sexual. And this was going on during the years of FKB. Some of the emotional trauma happened on the set with the show's director. Sexual abuse was going on at home. The day Father Knows Best ended, she found herself suddenly unwelcome at the studio, which is something a child can't quite understand: treated like a star one day, then a nobody the next. Then through the '60s and 70s she got heavily involved in drugs, and that led to prostitution, and I think even jail. She eventually turned to religion. I think she addresses most of this on the Stern show. You hear lots of horrible stories about what happens to child stars. Lauren Chapin's story is one of the absolute worst. It's amazing she didn't die.

Yes, it is. Such a cute kid on FKB. Heartbreaking. She and Elinor Donahue did features on the season 1 and 2 DVD sets, and she seems to have gotten past it all. Testament to her fortitude. Yes, it is amazing she is still with us. On the DVD I think she mentions she had a "crush" on director Peter Tewksbury. I know Billy Gray had lots of problems, post FKB. I think I saw him on TV, with a panel talking about kid actor problems...Patty Duke (RIP) was on, also.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:45 PM   #48
ILuvCarolBurnett
Forum Regular

While I agree Scott Baio may have misspoke, he was attacked unmercifully for publicly stating what we all initially assumed.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:43 PM   #49
Dianne3
Forum Regular

Actually, I didn't believe it when I read that EM died of a drug overdose.
The reason is that you don't hear too much about women 50 plus dying that way. I thought it must be something else.

As for Scott, even if he initially thought EM died from drugs, he should have kept his mouth shut. He is 56, not 12.

Even though I just learned about it, I also believe EM's rape story. It's because I remember a public breakdown EM had not long after a reunion show back in the 90's. I must be the only one on here who remembers this.
Old 04-29-2017, 02:40 AM   #50
faraj
Forum Regular

I think Scott meant well.
Old 04-29-2017, 11:37 AM   #51
Retro4Life
Accept No Substitutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvCarolBurnett
While I agree Scott Baio may have misspoke, he was attacked unmercifully for publicly stating what we all initially assumed.

I didn't criticize him for assuming drugs; I criticized him because of his tone. Your immediate response to a death isn't usually (and shouldn't be) an occasion to point fingers and make an anti-drug speech; it should simply be about love and loss and compassion. He chose to get his little social commentary in there, and of course, forget that drug abuse (even though Erin didn't die from it) is a disease not a moral failing.

"For me, you do drugs or drink, youíre gonna die, and Iím sorry if thatís cold, but God gave you a brain, gave you the will to live and thrive and you gotta take care of yourself. I'm sorry. You just have to"

And then his clumsy attempts to clarify made it worse.

"Please stop assuming the worse (sic) in me," he continued. "I'm a compassionate person. I'm very heartbroken over her passing, especially since it was cancer."

So, what, if she had died of drugs he wouldn't have felt quite so bad? I"ve had a close family member die of dependency, and I can assure you that NOBODY at the funeral was thinking, "well, we would have been MORE heartbroken if it had been something else!"

THAT is why I criticized him; the implications nested inside his comments, his lack of compassion and understanding for the deceased, and his attempt to get on a soapbox at a terribly inappropriate time. Are drugs bad for you? OF COURSE they are. Personally, I've never done them; I have never even drank a can of beer. But does dying of them make you somehow less deserving of sympathy? No, it doesn't.
Old 04-30-2017, 01:25 PM   #52
LittleRickyII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Brady's Hair
You actually still haven't said that their purpose in being on the show was to compete about who has the most pathetic post-acting life. But I did say it, so we're past that. It just takes us deeper below the usual nonexistent line of credibility you'd attach to the Stern show.

Really? That's all you've got? Okay, their purpose in being on the show was to compete about who has the most pathetic post-acting life. Feel better? And for the FOURTH time now, my explanation of that:

Quote:
As for her choosing to do Stern's show, she may have been at a point where there was no one she could trust anyway, and also needing some kind of public exposure (no matter how negative) in hopes of jump-starting her career.

Quote:
Yes, she and others chose to go on his show. Erin even chose to make that horrible revelation about rape on his show. I can only assume mental illness played a role in her decision.

And real tears were coming out of her eyes when she brought up the rape issue. That's the part YOU keep leaving out. You also miss the point that she said she was 23 when this happened. Marion Ross said last week that her drug use began the last season of Happy Days. Guess how old she was then? 23.

Quote:
And I believe Lauren Chapin, too. Do you doubt her as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Brady's Hair
I didn't pay any attention to the other two people. I have no doubt that Howard Stern wouldn't have her on the show unless she agreed to say something horrendous. I have no expectation that Stern would have any preference whether what she said was true or not.

Cop out. I'll give you a hint: Lauren Chapin has been on many shows bravely recounting the trauma she experienced. So going on Howard Stern and telling the same story in a Queen for the Day scenario makes Lauren Chapin's story suddenly untrue?
Friday, May 19, 2017 at 9:00 PM/8:00 PM Central on CBS
Old 05-05-2017, 04:35 PM   #53
ABlairican Pie
Forum Celebrity
Viking metal rules. \m/ \m/

Location: Celebrating the holiest holiday of the year, Monday, June 6, as we honor Slayer and all metal, with plenty of pizza, beer, and sacrificial goats. Life is good.
Oh No

I'm not sure what Scott Baio's response really was, even though he apparently misspoke. I'm sure that she said things before the facts were all in, everyone seems to have made all the same assessments as to her passing. It's just that when you have a person of such noteriety saying such things, it's "there for posterity" and you can do little to change it. The "controversy" remains in spite of one's attempts to clarify it.

Okay, looking back, I'm noticing some things here that he most likely shouldn't have said....
Old 05-06-2017, 09:13 AM   #54
Alan Brady's Hair

Sorry, I was traveling last weekend and missed this:

Quote:
Really? That's all you've got? Okay, their purpose in being on the show was to compete about who has the most pathetic post-acting life. Feel better?

Yes, that's all I've got: she said what she said in the least credible interview forum on television, in a skit where they were lowering their usual non-existent standards. That's all.

Quote:
And real tears were coming out of her eyes when she brought up the rape issue. That's the part YOU keep leaving out. You also miss the point that she said she was 23 when this happened. Marion Ross said last week that her drug use began the last season of Happy Days. Guess how old she was then? 23.

It's also possible that she started crying because she realized that at that moment she had crossed the line from an actress into a sideshow freak. It would be a credit to her at that point to feel ashamed, and natural to cry.

She was also about 23 when she got a show, lost a show, and probably had a pretty good bump in income. There might also be legal reasons to say something like that happened as an adult rather than as a minor.

Quote:
Cop out. I'll give you a hint: Lauren Chapin has been on many shows bravely recounting the trauma she experienced. So going on Howard Stern and telling the same story in a Queen for the Day scenario makes Lauren Chapin's story suddenly untrue?

I have absolutely no interest in these other people. What they said in that skit carries no weight of evidence unless it's corroborated by other sources.

Bottom line: as I said in my first post, people have to be given the opportunity to grieve in their own ways, and they especially have to be given that opportunity by people who don't know either of the people involved.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:04 PM   #55
thebabymysweet
Frequent Poster

Radio Interviewer SID ROSENBERG defended his interview with SCOTT BAIO :

"IN DEFENSE OF SCOTT, I DID ASK HIM WHY HE THOUGHT CHILDHOOD ACTORS OF THE 1970S STRUGGLED SO MUCH WITH DRUGS AND ALCOHOL.
AND HE INCLUDED ERIN MORAN IN THE CONVERSATION.

TRUTH IS THE WHOLE MEDIA HAD HER DYING FROM AN O.D. AND THAT IS WHAT WE ALL THOUGHT WAS THE CAUSE WHEN SCOTT CAME ON.

TOO EASY TO JUMP ON HIM AFTER WE FOUND OUT WHY SHE HAD PASSED. I KNOW HE CARED FOR HER AND WAS BOTH FRUSTRATED AND UPSET."

The most important quoted statement from SCOTT BAIO's radio interview concerning the tragic death of ERIN MORAN is the following :

"I AM SADDENED BY WHAT HAPPENED AND I DON'T KNOW IF IT WAS DRUGS THAT KILLED HER."

SCOTT BAIO NEVER SAID THAT ERIN MORAN DIED FROM DRUGS.

SID ROSENBERG DID NOT ASK SCOTT WHAT WAS THE CAUSE OF ERIN MORAN'S DEATH.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:18 AM   #56
Race's Girl
Forum Veteran
Miss Tremendous

Send a message via MSN to Race's Girl Send a message via Yahoo to Race's Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM77
He sounds like he's been hanging around Trump too much.

Well, any at all is too much, but you catch my drift.

I totally agree