Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Happy Days Online / Happy Days links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Happy Days Photo Gallery

Happy Days - The Complete First Season

Buy Happy Days - The Complete First Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Second Season

Buy Happy Days - The Second Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Third Season

Buy Happy Days - The Third Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fourth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fourth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fifth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fifth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Sixth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Sixth Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Happy Days
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Celebrate Halloween with The Simpsons on FXX; Sister Network FX Brings Back Comedy for 3rd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 23, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-23-2017, 11:04 AM   #16
crispysdad
Occasional Poster

RIP Shortcake!
Old 04-23-2017, 11:34 AM   #17
Zoneboy
Forum Celebrity
RIP, I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU :(

Location: AT HOME WISHING ALL THIS WAS JUST A DREAM AND THAT I'LL WAKE UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul.austin
I imagine Susan is not too happy with people forgetting that Erin was not the only Joanie Cunningham.

I doubt she's spent the last 43 + years dwelling on it. This quote from Susan (now Suzanna) seems to confirm that.

A former child actor and long-time volunteer
herself, Suzanna says, “I’ve had the coolest life ever.”

Full article
Old 04-23-2017, 12:12 PM   #18
Ohio8

Send a message via AIM to Ohio8 Send a message via Yahoo to Ohio8

Attached Images

Old 04-23-2017, 12:43 PM   #19
*ShortCake*
Blair Warner fan.

I am so so sad about this. RIP Erin <3.

"Nice girls don't throw tree's"- Jo Polniaczek.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:47 PM   #20
Retro4Life
Accept No Substitutes

There was something so radiant about Moran's smile and her whole personality. I know we shouldn't assume or project anything from the people we see on TV, because we ultimately don't know much about them, but she just seemed so bright and full of life.

I know she had a rough time during the later part of her life, and I'm sorry for that. Like many others, I crushed on Erin during Happy Days and thought she could have really done so much more, she was that talented.

Ehh....another rough one.

Old 04-23-2017, 12:55 PM   #21
Retro4Life
Accept No Substitutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul.austin
We haven't completely lost Joanie as Susan Neher from the pilot is still with us. I imagine Susan is not too happy with people forgetting that Erin was not the only Joanie Cunningham.

No offense, but this thread isn't really about the character of Joanie Cunningham. It's for memorials to Erin Moran, who portrayed the character and who WAS the character in the hearts and minds of the whole world.
Old 04-23-2017, 02:28 PM   #22
LittleRickyII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro4Life
No offense, but this thread isn't really about the character of Joanie Cunningham. It's for memorials to Erin Moran, who portrayed the character and who WAS the character in the hearts and minds of the whole world.

Thank you!

Quote:
I know she had a rough time during the later part of her life, and I'm sorry for that.

I think her later years were a manifestation of not only the post-fame downward spiral that happens to many child stars, but also trauma in her early years. Take a look at her sad admission in this video, for the two minutes starting at 6:00.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXeZzVdIw6U

I hope there was some joy in her life at some point, but it seems she had a tough ride for a large part of it. I'm feeling so sad for her.
Friday, May 19, 2017 at 9:00 PM/8:00 PM Central on CBS
Old 04-23-2017, 03:44 PM   #23
Retro4Life
Accept No Substitutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRickyII
Thank you!

I think her later years were a manifestation of not only the post-fame downward spiral that happens to many child stars, but also trauma in her early years. Take a look at her sad admission in this video, for the two minutes starting at 6:00.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXeZzVdIw6U

I hope there was some joy in her life at some point, but it seems she had a tough ride for a large part of it. I'm feeling so sad for her.

I really don't know how Stern lives with himself. Not one ounce of sincerity about him as he makes a huge joke out of these poor souls revealing their tormented lives. Yes, they chose to do so, but that doesn't mean his attitude or demeanor was morally OK.

Anyway, didn't mean to divert. RIP Erin.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:05 PM   #24
JamesG
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow

I knew that she was going through problems in her later life, but I was still surprised to hear that she died. Sad.

I don't know if it's widely known, it's known among the horror community, that her older brother, Tony Moran, played Michael Myers (unmasked) in the original Halloween. I met him at a sci-fi convention around Summer 2006 and asked him about her. He told me that he wasn't in contact with her.

Old 04-23-2017, 06:11 PM   #25
Mr. Television
Forum Legend
Sitcoms Online Photo Galleries

http://deadline.com/2017/04/erin-mor...st-1202075721/

Erin Moran: “We Did Our Best”, Says Child Actor Advocate Paul Petersen
by Greg Evans
April 23, 2017 10:24am

AP

“Abandonment was not the issue,” says former child actor Paul Petersen about Erin Moran, the troubled Happy Days actress who died at 56 yesterday. “Don’t doubt for a moment that we tried.”

In a lengthy message posted this morning on the Facebook page of A Minor Consideration, the non-profit organization dedicated to the legal and human rights of juvenile performers, the group’s founder Petersen said that at least a half-dozen former child actors reached out to Moran in the past week. “Erin had friends and she knew it,” writes Petersen, who starred in ’50s sitcom The Donna Reed Show.

The message, titled “We Pulled Our Weight With Erin” (read it below) was the second Facebook Petersen wrote for Moran, following one that announced her death last night.

Petersen paints a sad portrait of Moran’s final days, writing, “The perversity of human frailty is at the root of this loss, not failure. We did our best with the resources available to us, but it was a very dark room. Some don’t find the light switch in time.”

Moran’s body was removed from a trailer park residence by Indiana police yesterday afternoon. She’d been living in the trailer with her husband and mother-in-law, and tabloid reports for years have documented her battles with substance abuse and financial problems.

Some of her Happy Days costars weighed in last night, and today various former child actors added their remembrances, including her Joanie Loves Chachi costar Scott Baio, Todd Bridges, Willie Aames, Maureen McCormick, Lisa Whelchel and Bewitched‘s Erin Murphy. (See their tweets below).

Petersen didn’t specify which “formers” reached out to Moran recently, but writes that “From Paris to London, from New York to LA, our members were in there pitching, doing what they could to help.”

Last night, Petersen wrote, “She was so far away in Indiana. The help she ran from was right here, as close as a call. Those of us who knew her pain and remember it so well must tonight rededicate ourselves to the task of making sure that none of our brethren pass away unremarked or feel unloved.”

Here is Petersen’s most recent message, in full:

We Pulled Our Weight With Erin
I am proud of our efforts over the years to help Erin Moran whose troubles were many and complex. Don’t doubt for a moment that we tried…sincerely tried through time and treasure…to give comfort to one of our own.
At least a half-dozen “formers” were actively reaching out to Erin in the last week of her life. These aren’t publicity photos her friends are posting, but family portraits. From Paris to London, from New York to LA, our members were in there pitching, doing what they could to help. Do not doubt that for a minute.
Erin had friends and she knew it. Abandonment was not the issue. The perversity of human frailty is at the root of this loss, not failure. We did our best with the resources available to us, but it was a very dark room. Some don’t find the light switch in time.
Paul Petersen

Last night, Petersen wrote:

Erin Moran Has Passed
It hurts to even write these words. An entire community of former kid actors is not only taking note, but will long remember this kind-hearted soul who soldiered on until at age 56 she was done.
She was so far away in Indiana. The help she ran from was right here, as close as a call. Those of us who knew her pain and remember it so well must tonight rededicate ourselves to the task of making sure that none of our brethren pass away unremarked or feel unloved.
Erin Moran lived and she mattered. Her talent and beauty were on display. Fame won young can be a cruel mistress, often outlasting the person within the purpose. Dearest Erin, you will be remembered by all those with the humility to understand what it means to say, “There but for the Grace of God go I.”
Paul Petersen, just one voice for A Minor Consideration

Today, child actors expressed their condolences. Here are tweets from Baio, McCormick (The Brady Bunch), Murphy (Bewitched), Willie Aames (Eight is Enough), Todd Bridges (Diff’rent Strokes) and Lisa Whelchel (The Facts of Life).
Old 04-23-2017, 06:19 PM   #26
Marvo301
Forum Veteran
I'm NOT a Blockhead!

Unhappy

As a child of the 70's I grew up watching Erin grow up on Happy Days. Her passing is really hitting me hard. I think Henry Winkler said it best in his tweet, "too soon". I can only hope that she's finally found the peace that she seems never to have found in life.

A life isn't worth living unless it has impact on other lives. Jackie Robinson

Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man. Benjamin Franklin
Old 04-23-2017, 06:36 PM   #27
LittleRickyII

Quote:
I really don't know how Stern lives with himself. Not one ounce of sincerity about him as he makes a huge joke out of these poor souls revealing their tormented lives. Yes, they chose to do so, but that doesn't mean his attitude or demeanor was morally OK.

I hear what you're saying and I ask the same thing. Yes, she and others chose to go on his show. Erin even chose to make that horrible revelation about rape on his show. I can only assume mental illness played a role in her decision. None of us can understand the mental impact of growing up a celebrity, then having that yanked away from you. And the abuse she apparently experienced WHILE at the height of her fame. Rape by a family member, OMG! In her world she needed her family more than anything to navigate her fame, and at least this one member of her family failed her.

As for her choosing to do Stern's show, she may have been at a point where there was no one she could trust anyway, and also needing some kind of public exposure (no matter how negative) in hopes of jump-starting her career. And Stern exploited her weakness and desperation, just as he did with Dana Plato. Dana Plato also went on the Stern show and was abused horribly by people calling in, which some people believe may have been set up by Stern's staff. Even if they were not plants, Stern's people did nothing to filter out those callers and Dana ended up in tears and the very next day she was dead. (That tragic show is also on Youtube.) Perhaps Howard Stern has some remorse over these decisions, but if so I've never heard about it.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:24 PM   #28
Bronson
Forum Regular

Sorry she had a bad life. RIP Moran!!
Old 04-24-2017, 01:05 AM   #29
Elvis Fonzie Dean
Forum Veteran

R.I.P., Erin.

The Fonz:Tell me something Dean...how did he get his jacket inside the bed?

http://www.lindapurl.net/gallery/career/hday1.jpg
Old 04-24-2017, 11:50 AM   #30
lakesgirl
Forum Regular

RIP Erin.