Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Happy Days Online / Happy Days links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Happy Days Photo Gallery

Happy Days - The Complete First Season

Buy Happy Days - The Complete First Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Second Season

Buy Happy Days - The Second Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Third Season

Buy Happy Days - The Third Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fourth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fourth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fifth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fifth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Sixth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Sixth Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Happy Days
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: The Year in Sitcoms; NBC Sets Premiere for A.P. Bio
MeTV January 2018 Schedule Has Diff'rent Strokes; HBO Hit Comedy Returns for 2nd Year
getTV Acquires Norman Lear Sitcoms; Comedy Central Gets Scripted Comedy
Brooklyn Nine-Nine Starts on TBS Jan. 4; Fuller House Season 3, Part 2 Premieres Just in Time for the Holidays!
American Dad! Christmas Special on TBS; Jessica Jones Returns for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 4, 2017)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-13-2013, 10:47 AM   #16
howilu

I think that as Happy days went into the 60s late in its run, the fashions and hairstyles started changing. Also, the episode where there was folk music on the jukebox signified that the show was set before the Beatles started the British Invasion in 1964.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:39 AM   #17
biffbronson
Shazam!

Location: In my dreams, back at age 15 in Erin Moran's bedroom in 1980, making passionate love...

That's true as far as 60s -- for example, look at the later seasons of Laverne & Shirley, with the year in a banner at the end of the intro -- they go right up to circa 1967.

Much of Happy Days does in fact take place in the 1960s. However, there was still a lot of inaccuracy regarding hair length/styles and fashions.

"For you are beautiful ~ And I have loved you dearly ~ More dearly than the spoken word can tell..."

"What's the word?" (Paul Martin) ~~ "I don't want money for nothing." (Timmy Martin) -- Lassie ROCKS! WORD UP

"It's just a dugout that my dad built... In case the reds decide to push the button down..."
Old 01-21-2013, 07:35 AM   #18
antman67
Forum Regular
The Fonz

Everything about the show suffered when they let them dress themselfs and wear their own hair styles.

When were these hair styles EVER popular in the late 50s?

Was wardrobe really that expensive to maintain on Happy Days?
At least send Chaichi to a barber, I mean really?
Old 01-21-2013, 07:51 AM   #19
sandmountainslim
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by antman67
Everything about the show suffered when they let them dress themselfs and wear their own hair styles.

When were these hair styles EVER popular in the late 50s?

Was wardrobe really that expensive to maintain on Happy Days?
At least send Chaichi to a barber, I mean really?

That is exactly why I only want the first 7 seasons on DVD. Season 8 is when the hell bound handbasket arrived in the station.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:04 PM   #20
antman67
Forum Regular
The Fonz

Not to mention Some of the wardrobe they had Fonz wear he looked kike Henry Winkler trying to act like the Fonz instead of the other way around. It was just to weird looking to see him out of his leather jacket so often. Fortunately they started to watch their own show and put him back into his leather jacket more.

AND+ Don't even get me started on this episode in Season 11 "Fonzie's Spots" Howard's position as the Grand Poobah at the Leopard Lodge is threatened when he realizes that he hasn't recruited any new members in the past five years (except for Potsie), so Fonzie, Roger, and Chachi agree to join. They regret their decision when learning that Potsie is the pledge master.

Potsie (with great pleasure) is humiliating Fonz with these stupid sorority pledge dares and making him jump thru hoops to join. What did Fonz ever do to Postie to deserve this? This episode really pissed me off to belittle Fonzie like this was just awful. Talk about taking advantage of a nice guy. Clearly the writers just had nothing left to write about for the show any longer.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:55 PM   #21
visaman666
Forum Regular

Quote:
AND+ Don't even get me started on this episode in Season 11 "Fonzie's Spots"

That episode was burned off in September 1984, several weeks AFTER Happy Days was cancelled!
Old 01-23-2013, 08:23 AM   #22
antman67
Forum Regular
The Fonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by visaman666
That episode was burned off in September 1984, several weeks AFTER Happy Days was cancelled!
This was one of the worst episodes TOO in my opinion and the network was justified to cancel Happy Days after this one. I can even remember watching this, and thinking wow this show has really gone downhill and has nothing left to offer us.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:56 AM   #23
Prince Michael
Forum Regular

Cool

It's funny you should all bring this up . I was in sixth grade during the 1973 -- 1974 school year . One day, it was announced that there was going to be a "Fifties Day" and everybody in my grade was supposed to dress like somebody in the 1950s . This wasn't a homework activity, but something we did "for fun" .

My parents thought for a while, and they concluded that people in the 1950s didn't dress much differently from people in the 1970s . They weren't the most fashion conscious people in the world . I was only twelve years old at that point, and I didn't know any better than they did . It had been only twelve years since 1961, and fashions don't change much in twelve years ( I realize there are exceptions ) .

The next day at my school, "Fifties Day" was a bust . I guess nobody knew any better than my parents did . I AM aware that the costume designers of Happy Days really phoned it in during the last few seasons . I thought actors in the 1970s and 1980s who appeared in a TV show about the 1950s and 1960s had hairstyles from the 1970s and 1980s . That still doesn't excuse the modern -- day clothing .
Old 01-29-2013, 07:08 AM   #24
antman67
Forum Regular
The Fonz

Default Billy Warlock as FLIP with those SILLY cut off shirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Michael
My parents thought for a while, and they concluded that people in the 1950s didn't dress much differently from people in the 1970s.

I agree with you about the clothing (for the most part) TRUE. Jeans and a T-Shirt NEVER went out of style in the 50s and is still worn every where today, HOWEVER one word : FLIP. Wat were they thinking? I mean come on? REALLY?

I do not recall high cut off shirt EVER being a style in the 50s.

Girls were the exception and wore long poodle dresses and had different hair styles and did not wear pants in the 50s.
Attached Images

Old 02-17-2013, 10:29 PM   #25
WalterTheDrinker
Frequent Poster

Default !

Quote:

Not to mention Some of the wardrobe they had Fonz wear he looked kike Henry Winkler

Daaayum!...
Old 12-09-2013, 05:34 PM   #26
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Default Happy Days (1974) : Worst Anachronism?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070992/.../209103374?p=1

Quote:
What was the worst anachronism on "Happy Days? There was Chachi's hairstyle, of course. The bandanna around his leg also looked ridiculous. But I think I saw something worse. On the 1982 episode "A Case of Revenge" featuring Tom Hanks as a guest there was a guy at the new Arnold's wearing a half shirt. Really ... really?
Old 12-10-2013, 10:42 AM   #27
antman67
Forum Regular
The Fonz

TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU! HERE'S MORE+
http://www.scharplingandwurster.com/?p=242
Old 12-30-2013, 08:54 PM   #28
RetroGuy2000
Forum Regular

The show was full of nostalgia in the early seasons. The producers worked hard to make the show look as authentic to the 1950s as possible (though there were occasional glitches, like the previously-mentioned flag having the wrong number of stars).

But as the seasons passed, the producers and other staff got lazy, and stopped paying attention to wardrobe and hairstyles. Erin Moran's goofy 80s perm, Chachi's... well, everything about Chachi, and the new characters who were added later had nothing to do with the 1950s or the early 1960s.

I only watch the older episodes.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:18 AM   #29
Will Dockery
Forum Regular
Shadowville All-Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJL
Yeah, once the show started taping in front of a live audience, they really started slipping with keepings things looking 1950's.
The most glaring thing I always notice is the hair. It may have been the 50's, but Richie, Ralph and Potsie looked all 70's.

The hair for sure was way off... just a complete lack of realism in television of that time. Now that Happy Days is 40 years from the 1970s, at least it works as nostalgia for /that/ era!
Old 12-31-2013, 04:26 AM   #30
Will Dockery
Forum Regular
Shadowville All-Stars

Quote:

Not to mention Some of the wardrobe they had Fonz wear he looked kike Henry Winkler trying to act like the Fonz instead of the other way around. It was just to weird looking to see him out of his leather jacket so often. Fortunately they started to watch their own show and put him back into his leather jacket more.

AND+ Don't even get me started on this episode in Season 11 "Fonzie's Spots" Howard's position as the Grand Poobah at the Leopard Lodge is threatened when he realizes that he hasn't recruited any new members in the past five years (except for Potsie), so Fonzie, Roger, and Chachi agree to join. They regret their decision when learning that Potsie is the pledge master.

Potsie (with great pleasure) is humiliating Fonz with these stupid sorority pledge dares and making him jump thru hoops to join. What did Fonz ever do to Postie to deserve this? This episode really pissed me off to belittle Fonzie like this was just awful. Talk about taking advantage of a nice guy. Clearly the writers just had nothing left to write about for the show any longer.

Good Lord, I had stopped seriously following Happy Days early on, probably second season or so, but had been on with it from that first Love American Style segment... I had no idea things had grown this bad, in fact I'm surprised to see that the series made it so far into the 1980s at all!