Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Webster Online / Webster links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Webster Photo Gallery

Webster - Season One

Buy Webster - Season One on DVD
Webster - Season Two

Buy Webster - Season Two on DVD
Webster - Season Three

Buy Webster - Season Three on DVD
Webster - Season Four

Buy Webster - Season Four on DVD
(Amazon.com)
Webster - 20 Timeless Episodes

Buy Webster - 20 Timeless Episodes on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > Webster

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

ABC Mid-Season 2019 Schedule; Amy Sedaris Laffer Returns Feb. 19 on truTV
ABC Picks Up Comedy Starring Lake Bell, Dax Shepard; EPIX Dark Comedy Gets 3rd Season
Lifetime Brings in the Stars for Winter Movies; Celebs Line Up for CBS All Access' Twilight Zone
HBO Comedy Crashing Returns for Season 3; Nick Sitcom Starts Jan. 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 10, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Netflix Pays $100 Million for Another Year of Friends; Reboots of Night Gallery and New York Undercover
Fri-Yay: The Disappearing Art of the Holiday Episode; The Simpsons Turns 30 Years Old with Specials on Fox and FXX

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection Alice - The Complete Eighth Season Step by Step - The Complete Third Season

10/02 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 6th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 7th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 8th Season
10/02 - Ghosted - The Complete First Season
10/02 - The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One / Volume Two
10/02 - Police Squad! - TV and Movie Collection
10/02 - Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection
10/16 - Community - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/23 - Alice - The Complete Eighth Season
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Two
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Three
10/31 - The Bad News Bears - The Complete Series - All 26 Episodes
11/01 - Episodes - Season 5
11/05 - Robin Williams - Comic Genius (includes Mork & Mindy)
11/06 - American Dad! - Volume 13
11/16 - Man with a Plan - Season One
11/20 - Step by Step - The Complete Third Season
11/27 - What I Like About You - The Complete Third Season
12/04 - Family Guy - Season Sixteen
12/04 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Sixth Season
12/18 - Our Cartoon President - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-11-2011, 11:55 PM   #1
Brian Damage
I'm Rich Bitch
Forum Legend

Location: What Ain't No Country I Ever Heard Of...They Speak English in What?
Send a message via AIM to Brian Damage
Confused Did Emmanuel Lewis' Lack Of Size Eventually Hurt 'Webster?'

I guess what I am asking is if his lack of height hurt the show in the long run, because you really couldn't have Webster "grow up" so to speak. Agree? Disagree?

Money Doesn't Buy Happiness...But I'd Rather Cry in My Private Jet
Brian Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:45 AM   #2
TV Knowledge Fan

Default No more than Gary Coleman's size affected him on "DIFF'RENT STROKES"...

...what finally did "WEBSTER" in, was that it simply "wore out its welcome". It was on ABC for four seasons (1983-'87), then a final season in syndication (1988-'89). That was more than enough for Emmanuel Lewis; he knew when to move away from the spotlight. The fact that he's still alive- and Gary Coleman isn't- is proof that Emmanuel has survived better as an "adult" than Gary could.

TV Knowledge Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:21 PM   #3
Sonny Carson
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV Knowledge Fan
...what finally did "WEBSTER" in, was that it simply "wore out its welcome". It was on ABC for four seasons (1983-'87), then a final season in syndication (1988-'89). That was more than enough for Emmanuel Lewis; he knew when to move away from the spotlight. The fact that he's still alive- and Gary Coleman isn't- is proof that Emmanuel has survived better as an "adult" than Gary could.

The difference between Gary and Emmanuel is that Emmanuel had a mother who cared for his well being. Gary's parents cared for his money.
Sonny Carson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 03:41 PM   #4
TMC
Forum Celebrity

I've heard the argument that Webster in hindsight has sort of become a "forgotten sitcom" (so to speak) when compared to a similar show in the form of Punky Brewster (despite not airing as long as Webster) is because whereas PB was "literally" a kids show, Webster was more or less, a traditional sitcom that despite also starring a cute little kid, had more "adult" stories.

In essence, PB has enjoyed a more enduring appeal in the many years since it went off the air, it was right from the jump, designed for kids. Webster on the other hand, was initially suppose to simply star Alex Karras and his real life wife Susan Clark, until the "powers that be" decided that since Diff'rent Strokes was popular, they should retrofit what would become Webster into something similar.
TMC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 03:52 PM   #5
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Quote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webste...to_syndication

Quote:
While the lead character's plots continued to mature somewhat with Webster's onset of pre-teendom, the same "cutesy factor" remained, thanks in part to Lewis' timing and portrayal. However, this was something Lewis was slowly tiring of, despite the fact that he had more creative control over Webster at this point. Now 17 years old and about to complete his high school education (which was followed by his enrollment at Clark Atlanta University in 1989), Lewis did not have the desire to continue portraying a character roughly half his age. Ultimately, due to Lewis' height, the character of Webster Long was only depicted between the ages of 6 and 12 years old over the show's six seasons. Early in the 1988-89 season, with Lewis clearly outgrowing the title role, Karras and Clark also decided that the time was right to move on. Webster's sixth season was announced to be its last, with the finale airing on March 10, 1989.
Old 02-04-2015, 04:21 PM   #6
Mace Dolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Damage
I guess what I am asking is if his lack of height hurt the show in the long run, because you really couldn't have Webster "grow up" so to speak. Agree? Disagree?
In a way I can see what you mean if the producers had their way they could have had Emmanuel age slowly to keep that "cuteness" factor.
Mace Dolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 12:17 PM   #7
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Quote:

Webster is also pretty hard to sit through in modern eyes. Even when it was originally on, it was a tad bit too saccharine and bland for anybody's taste. Meanwhile, in regards to the similarities with Diff'rent Strokes, Emmanuel Lewis simply lacked a personality and charm unlike Gary Coleman's Arnold Jackson.

Also, Webster was an extremely creepy and depressing show to boot. There was the episode where they're still living in the high-rise and Webster burns it down; the other where the little blonde girl (played by a young Alison Sweeney) in Webster's class is being molested by a teacher.

Or how about that other one where they move into the big house and Webster finds the secret room with the life-size doll in the rocking chair. The doll was put there by the parents of a girl who ran away, who resembled the doll. And there was even an episode where one of Webster's grown-up friends had an epileptic seizure. To top it all, there's the utterly traumatic episode where Katherine has a miscarriage.

Last edited by TMC; 05-07-2018 at 02:14 AM.
Old 05-03-2018, 05:12 PM   #8
Sonny Carson
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC
Webster is also pretty hard to sit through in modern eyes. Even when it was originally one, it was a tad bit too saccharine and bland for anybody's taste. Meanwhile, in regards to the similarities with Diff'rent Strokes, Emmanuel Lewis simply lacked a personality and charm unlike Gary Coleman's Arnold Jackson.

Also, Webster was an extremely creepy and depressing show to boot. There was the episode where they're still living in the high-rise and Webster burns it down; the other where the little blonde girl (played by a young Alison Sweeney) in Webster's class is being molested by a teacher. Or the episode where

Or how about that other one where they move into the big house and Webster finds the secret room with the life-size doll in the rocking chair. The doll was put there by the parents of a girl who ran away, who resembled the doll. And there was even an episode where one of Webster's grown-up friends had an epileptic seizure. To top it all, there's the utterly traumatic episode where Katherine has a miscarriage.
Agreed Webster doesn't hold up at all!
Old 05-24-2018, 08:26 PM   #9
70s show watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Carson
i second that i find that while i still enjoy watching different strokes i can no longer even sit through 5 minutes of webster
70s show watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 12:33 AM   #10
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Carson
Webster simply doesn't have an endearing quality like say Diff'rent Strokes (which at the very least, had a smidgen of Norman Lear-esque social commentary during its early years) or even Punky Brewster. The biggest problem with Webster is that the main character really had no personality. His main draw just was that he was a "cute" black child and that was it. This isn't meant to be a personal attack against Emmanuel Lewis, it's just that actual character of Webster Long never really warmed up to me. Webster simply wasn't as charismatic or charming as Arnold Jackson on Diff'rent Strokes.

Also as I said before, for a so-called family show like Webster, it certainly exposed poor Webster to a lot of scary and disturbing situations. Between losing his parents, accidentally burning down the apartment, having a classmate nearly get sexually abused, having a bully basically threaten his life (in the McGruff episode), the house nearly getting robbed, Katherine's miscarriage, the episode in which Webster's friend gets kidnapped by his father, the episode where Webster got angry at Katherine and George for not telling him that his parents were dead, etc. I get that the show was trying to teach children about how the world can be a cruel place, but I just think that it tended to really go to extremes.

Last edited by TMC; 08-27-2018 at 08:02 PM.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:11 PM   #11
'80sSitcoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70s show watcher
i second that i find that while i still enjoy watching different strokes i can no longer even sit through 5 minutes of webster
I still enjoy popping in a season 2 episode now and then (I used to have season 1, but I only wanted seasons that took place in the old Victorian house with the secret passages). One of the best reasons to watch this show is Alex Karras.

Last edited by '80sSitcoms; 09-03-2018 at 08:02 PM.
'80sSitcoms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:16 PM   #12
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by '80sSitcoms
I still enjoy popping in a season 2 episode now and then (I used to have season 1, but I only wanted seasons that took place in the old Victorian house with the secret passages). One of the best reasons to watch this show is Alex Karras.
The secret passages in the Victorian house were the best part of Webster. I really remember very little else about the show.
RetroGuy2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 01:21 AM   #13
TMC
Forum Celebrity

'80s family shows like Webster, Punky Brewster, Diff'rent Strokes, Full House (and just about anything produced by Miller-Boyett Productions from that era), Family Ties, Growing Pains, The Cosby Show, etc. don't tend to hold up because they feel the need to go for sentiment as much as laughs. As a result, they more or less, feel hokey to modern eyes. It seemed like just about any and every prime time TV show from that era that was made or designed for kids in mind had a hard time finding a middle ground between pure entertainment and needing to teach the kids a lesson.
Old 09-03-2018, 03:08 PM   #14
Sonny Carson
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC View Post
'80s family shows like Webster, Punky Brewster, Diff'rent Strokes, Full House (and just about anything produced by Miller-Boyett Productions from that era), Family Ties, Growing Pains, The Cosby Show, etc. don't tend to hold up because they feel the need to go for sentiment as much as laughs. As a result, they more or less, feel hokey to modern eyes. It seemed like just about any and every prime time TV show from that era that was made or designed for kids in mind had a hard time finding a middle ground between pure entertainment and needing to teach the kids a lesson.
I actually feel like the late 70s early 80s episodes of Diff'rent Strokes have held up. From 83 to 86 is junk, especially with 'Sam'. Family Ties and The Cosby Show have held up well too. But all the other show's you mentioned have not!