Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Hazel links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Hazel Photo Gallery

Hazel - The Complete First Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete First Season on DVD
Hazel - The Complete Second Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Hazel - The Complete Third Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Hazel - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Hazel - The Complete Fifth and Final Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete Fifth and Final Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > Hazel

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

The History of Comedy Returns to CNN; Showtime Gets First Late Night Talk Show
Showtime Gets Don Cheadle Comedy; HBO Special Directed by Jerrod Carmichael Coming Soon
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 18, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Roseanne Spinoff One Step Closer to Reality; Netflix to Air New Season of Lucifer
Fri-Yay: Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Finally Finds Its Best Self; All About the Washingtons with Rev Run Coming to Netflix
Paramount Network Comedy Scores in Ratings; Stan Against Evil Returns on Halloween for Season 3
WGN America Picks Up Two Original Series; Pop TV Orders New Comedy Florida Girls
Seinfeld's Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee Returns; Canceled CBS Sitcoms Return on Saturday Nights
Jim Carrey Comedy and Shameless Premiere Sept. 9; Sabrina Star Gets GSN Game Show
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 11, 2018)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June)

Living Single - The Complete Fifth Season Step by Step - The Complete First Season Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season One Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fourth Season Last Man Standing - The Complete Sixth Season

06/05 - Living Single - The Complete Fifth Season
06/05 - New Girl - The Complete Sixth Season
06/05 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-First Season (Blu-ray)
06/12 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fourth Season
06/12 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Third Season
06/12 - The Office - The Complete Series
06/12 - Speechless - The Complete First Season
06/12 - Speechless - The Complete Second Season
06/12 - Step by Step - The Complete First Season
06/12 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season One (Blu-ray)
06/19 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fourth Season
06/26 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Fifth Season
06/26 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Sixth Season
06/26 - The Mick - The Complete First Season
06/26 - The Mick - The Complete Second Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-19-2012, 04:36 PM   #1
Jude The Obscure
Retired

Madderest Hazel's harping on Mr. B's weight

Does anyone else find this incredibly annoying? Especially when she isn't the picture perfect example of health herself? I wonder if Don Defore was irritated at the writers' constant jabs at his being overweight. (The actor in his younger movie days was quite dashing, IMO).
Jude The Obscure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:49 PM   #2
gidgetgrape
Forever Gidget

It doesn't really bother me, but I too think it's weird considering Hazel's girth. Maybe it was considered inappropriate for a man to comment on a woman's weight? On "I Love Lucy" I remember Lucy poking fun at Ethel's weight, but I can't remember Fred directly doing the same thing.
gidgetgrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:31 PM   #3
retroTVfan4ever

It's just the way the show was written, Mr. B. might have been the man of the house but Hazel was the outspoken HEAD of the house, whether Mr. B. liked it or not. Hazel was a salaried employee of Mr. B., but in the world of TV that didn't matter, Hazel ran the household. She could say whatever she wanted to Mr. B., all he could do was take it like a man. It's possible Don DeFore might have been frustrated with that type of role, but since he did it for four years it probably didn't bother him all that much. Maybe he went along with the premise of being bossed around at home, in exchange for scenes in episodes displaying his attorney skills.

What strikes me as funny when Hazel comments on Mr. B's weight, she says he should lose weight but at the same time she was always serving him these high calorie meals.
retroTVfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:19 PM   #4
old grouch

This aspect of Hazel and Mr. B's relationship reminds me of the relationship between Nell and the Chief on 'Gimme a Break'.
old grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:56 PM   #5
Jude The Obscure
Retired

^Two peas in a pod! I remember the episode where they both went on a diet and then ended up binging! it was hilarious.

And Retro--you made my point at the very end
Old 04-23-2012, 04:47 PM   #6
Hazel Anyday

I want a pork chop. And bring me another brownie! (Famous Mr. B lines)
Old 04-24-2012, 08:45 PM   #7
Jude The Obscure
Retired

^
Old 12-28-2013, 10:05 PM   #8
missy's pop pop
Hooray for "Hazel!"
Forum Regular

Biggrin "Are you serious about losing your weight?"

Something to keep in mind here: In the Ted Key cartoons, Hazel was harping on Mr. B constantly to lose weight. That was a character trait that was brought into the TV series.

Also, when "Hazel" debuted in 1961, it was the time when losing weight was a national rage. Knox Gelatine had a diet for women in which future Whitney Blake-types were encouraged to drink an envelope of Knox mixed into water, skim milk or tea to help milady feel fuller.

There were also the first pre-mixed diet drinks. Anyone remember Metrecal or Sego liquid diet food? Not to mention those little chewy candies called "AYDS" (you ate two before a meal to dull your appetite)?

And by Hazel's S3, a woman in New York named Jean Nidetch founded a certain little group called Weight Watchers which, as you may have noticed, just launched a new campaign called "Simple Start" for its 51st anniversary as a worldwide weight-loss organization.

In this respect, Hazel nagging Mr. B was years ahead of her time!
missy's pop pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:24 PM   #9
MichaelKeith
Forum Regular

Hazel and Mr. B had that give and take relationship, that good-natured conflict that works so well on sitcoms. Beneath that sometimes gruff exterior, George loved Hazel like one of the family.

Plus, don't you think that bit of nagging adds an element of realism to this show, which was basically an idealized portrayal of the American family of the time--I do. I mean, just about every episode ends happily so to have that note of realism in the shows only adds to its appeal for me.
MichaelKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:53 PM   #10
comedyfreak
Cheers!
Forum Veteran

Well stated.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:39 AM   #11
Lisalu
Occasional Poster

Fred made fun of Ethel's weight all the time! It was a running gag on the series.
Lisalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 04:20 PM   #12
PracTz
Forum Regular

Ironically, it wasn't her ironic girth that made it annoying to hear her harp on Mr. B's weight but the fact that Hazel constantly cooked and baked large quantities of fattening foods for the family. If she truly was concerned about his weight what was the point of putting out all those fattening foods?

P.S. One of my grandmothers also did this and it's not amongst the things I miss about her memory.
PracTz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 03:36 PM   #13
Chip J
Occasional Poster

I feel really silly. I just, unknowingly, repeated what someone else said about the diet craze of the early 1960's. Sorry if I stole someone's thunder!
Chip J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 03:47 PM   #14
Chip J
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by missy's pop pop
Something to keep in mind here: In the Ted Key cartoons, Hazel was harping on Mr. B constantly to lose weight. That was a character trait that was brought into the TV series.

Also, when "Hazel" debuted in 1961, it was the time when losing weight was a national rage. Knox Gelatine had a diet for women in which future Whitney Blake-types were encouraged to drink an envelope of Knox mixed into water, skim milk or tea to help milady feel fuller.

There were also the first pre-mixed diet drinks. Anyone remember Metrecal or Sego liquid diet food? Not to mention those little chewy candies called "AYDS" (you ate two before a meal to dull your appetite)?

And by Hazel's S3, a woman in New York named Jean Nidetch founded a certain little group called Weight Watchers which, as you may have noticed, just launched a new campaign called "Simple Start" for its 51st anniversary as a worldwide weight-loss organization.

In this respect, Hazel nagging Mr. B was years ahead of her time!
You're right, there was a kind of "diet craze" that happened in the early 1960's.
Chip J is offline   Reply With Quote