Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: CBS Television Distribution Acquires Digital Rights to The Carol Burnett Show; Party of Five Set for Reboot
Fri-Yay: The Return of NBC Thursday Night Sitcoms; Everything Sucks at Netflix
The Office Scores on Comedy Central; The Tick Gets 2nd Season on Amazon
Comedy Central Picks Up The Jim Jefferies Show for Second Season; Remembering Donnelly Rhodes from Soap
TCA 2018 Winter Press Tour: More Cable, Crackle, Paramount Network and More
TCA 2018 Winter Press Tour: Cable Roundup of IFC, AMC, Hallmark, Pop and More
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of January 15, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: American Dad Gets Two Season Renewal at TBS; New Details About Roseanne Reboot
Fri-Yay: What Does the Future Hold for Fox Sitcoms?; TCA 2018 Winter Press Tour: TBS and HBO
Hulu Orders 2nd Season of Future Man; Michael J. Fox Heads Back to Politics on TV
TCA 2018 Winter Press Tour: NBC; grown-ish Premieres Strong on Freeform

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December/January)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
01/09 - Girlfriends - The Complete Series
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 02-05-2009, 09:19 PM   #16
JamesG
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow

Default As A New York Resident...

On the morning of 9/11 I was a junior in high school.

I remember I was in my American History class when one of the VP's came to the door and pulled the teacher out of the room. About maybe 2 minutes later the teacher closed the door and said "If you guys believe in a God please pray to him right now."

We continued class for normally for about 5 minutes until there was an announcement on the loudspeak that an emergeny meeting will be held for the entire school in the gymnasium.

So class by class, everyone gathered in the gym. When all was there the principal said "This morning a plane crashed into the World Trade Center". No other details were mentioned other than that.

Eventually, the students were separated. Kids who lived out of state or in Manhattan were gathered in one area. Kids who had parents currently working in Manhattan went in one area. And the "extra" kids who were not directly related were in another area.

My father at the time worked in the city; however no where near where this went down. So I gathered with the kids who had parents working in the city. I then gave the administration my dad's work number.

About an hour later the entire school was dismissed and students were allowed to leave. Those who lived far or in Manhattan had to remain until they had someone come for them.

I still had no idea on what was going on just that a plane crashed into the World Trade Center. When I got home, I never forgot this, I saw my father smoking a cigar out on our front lawn. It turns out that he was late for work this morning and he went on the Xpress Bus that goes in the tunnel to Manhattan. The tunnel to the city was already closed by the time his bus got there so the bus turned around and dropped off everyone back in Brooklyn. My dad never went to work that morning.

So he was sitting there care free; reading the paper and cigar smoking as if it's a normal day. When he saw me he said "I guess the school had you dismissed huh? Yeah some crash at the towers. Oh well."

I went upstairs and turned on the tv and by this point both of the towers were already down. I stood in shock for a few minutes when I realized what happened. I then ran to my father and told him "Dad, the towers. They're gone. Like nothing. Completely destroyed." He went "Really?" and we both went inside to the tv.

After that I don't remember much, just that the phone kept ringing off the hook and we stood at the tv literally all day.

But I remember my father in the morning. So care-free as if nothing bad had happened; he didn't bother to check the severity on how bad the situation was. He was glad to relax and be home.

We didn't lose anyone close that day; which was good.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:28 PM   #17
Doodyville10019
Forum Regular
Meet my new friend Sparkie!

Send a message via AIM to Doodyville10019 Send a message via Yahoo to Doodyville10019

I was on a commuter train going to work. First I heard the news in Spanish - at that time I was listening to a Spanish language radio station, then I turned the radio to the all-news station where I confirmed that my personal interpretation was correct - that an aircraft had slammed into one of the World Trade Center towers.

I arrived by 9 a.m. at work. One of my co-workers was crying hysterically because she learned she lost a cousin who worked in the WTC, and our office manager, my boss' wife, was crying because she lost a close friend who also worked there. By 9:30 a.m. Mayor Daley was ordering the entire downtown area evacuated because of a rumor that another plane was heading for Sears Tower. So we all went home. As for me - I stayed glued to the TV all day and all night and for the next couple of days I was in somewhat of a fog - so were a lot of other downtown Chicago workers!

Last edited by Doodyville10019 : 02-05-2009 at 09:45 PM.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:15 AM   #18
LuLu Rogers
Forum Veteran
Colonel Brandon

Send a message via Yahoo to LuLu Rogers

I was in the 9th grade and I remember the teacher across the hall coming into our classroom and telling our teacher to turn on the tv. I remember watching, but I really had no idea what was going on until I got home and talked to my parents about it.

"I can teach you how to bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses. I can tell you how to bottle fame, brew glory, and even put a stopper in death."-Professor Severus Snape
Old 02-06-2009, 12:27 AM   #19
*Pleasant Tomorrow*
Forum Legend

I was in 7th grade in my second period science class. I didn't know until I had gotten out of school because no one told us anything. My sister who was in elementary school was allowed to know, yet they wouldn't tell us. When my mom told me after I got out of school I was terrified. I thought it was World War Three and that we were all in danger. I freaked at all the planes I saw in the sky that day, especially being only five hours away from the city. I remember going to my aunts house after school like always and all of us watching the tv as planes were going by outside, scaring me even more. (there's an air force base in our city, so that's the reason for all of the planes)

"I can feel it - the turn of the Earth,
the ground beneath our feet
spinning at a thousand miles an hour.
And the entire planet is hurtling around the sun
at 67,000 thousand miles an hour and I can feel it.
We're falling through space, you and me.
Clinging to the skin of this tiny little world
and if we let go..."

- The Doctor
Old 02-06-2009, 12:40 AM   #20
treky
Forum Veteran
star trek fan

I remember when I woke up that morning, I heard on the radio (my clock-radio is tuned to an all-news station) that a plane had crashed into the world trade center, but I didn't think it was anything serious. But then I turned on the TV in my bedroom and all the stations had on a report about it,. It was then that I found out what happened. Then I went out in the living room and turned on CNN and just sat there transfixed by it all.

My brother-in-law was really upset by it all, since he works in Manhatten, and he knew a lot of people who worked in the twin towers at the time. In fact, he was telling us he knows some guys who had to carry a guy in a wheelchair down 40 floors!!! Being a wheelchair user myself, I can only imagine how frightened that guy must have been!!!

Granny: "How much fer one o' them red diamonds?"
clerk: "Madam, those are rubies."
Granny: "OK ask her kin we buy one offa her."
clerk: " The ruby I am talking about is not a lady."
Granny: "Lissen, how she got them diamonds is her business. I'm just sayin' ask her kin we buy one from her."
Old 02-06-2009, 02:10 AM   #21
Hollywood Rock Chic

I was asleep, when suddenly my mother, bursts into my bed, screaming, "it is worse than Pearl Harbor!!!". I was like, " What the hell!". So, I turned on the television, and saw the images on CNN of the first plane crashing into the World Trade Center.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:30 PM   #22
Scoobiedoo30
Forum Celebrity

TV

I was headed back to my Back to my bedroom when my mom told me about 911.