Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Classic Dramas/Dramedies > The Waltons

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

The History of Comedy Returns to CNN; Showtime Gets First Late Night Talk Show
Showtime Gets Don Cheadle Comedy; HBO Special Directed by Jerrod Carmichael Coming Soon
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 18, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Roseanne Spinoff One Step Closer to Reality; Netflix to Air New Season of Lucifer
Fri-Yay: Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Finally Finds Its Best Self; All About the Washingtons with Rev Run Coming to Netflix
Paramount Network Comedy Scores in Ratings; Stan Against Evil Returns on Halloween for Season 3
WGN America Picks Up Two Original Series; Pop TV Orders New Comedy Florida Girls
Seinfeld's Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee Returns; Canceled CBS Sitcoms Return on Saturday Nights
Jim Carrey Comedy and Shameless Premiere Sept. 9; Sabrina Star Gets GSN Game Show
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 11, 2018)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June)

Living Single - The Complete Fifth Season Step by Step - The Complete First Season Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season One Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fourth Season Last Man Standing - The Complete Sixth Season

06/05 - Living Single - The Complete Fifth Season
06/05 - New Girl - The Complete Sixth Season
06/05 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-First Season (Blu-ray)
06/12 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fourth Season
06/12 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Third Season
06/12 - The Office - The Complete Series
06/12 - Speechless - The Complete First Season
06/12 - Speechless - The Complete Second Season
06/12 - Step by Step - The Complete First Season
06/12 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season One (Blu-ray)
06/19 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fourth Season
06/26 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Fifth Season
06/26 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Sixth Season
06/26 - The Mick - The Complete First Season
06/26 - The Mick - The Complete Second Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-09-2007, 08:45 AM   #1
Sterling Holobyte

Default Is This When The Waltons Jumped The Shark?

I wasn't that big of a fan of The Waltons when I was younger, but I had begun to get into it more, mainly because it is one show that still has some good values and isn't afraid to teach them.

But the episode Hallmark Channel showed yesterday made me wonder if this was when they "Jumped The Shark", so to speak.
It was the one where Elizabeth kept seeing wierd things happen, like rocks and chairs floating around, and the radio getting all static-y when she came near it.
I thought they would show that it was all in her imagination, and they did hint at that during the episode, until I saw the end where everyone saw the stuff happening, and they seemed to explain it more as a manifestation of Elizabeth's "feelings" during puberty. It was like a scene from Poltergeist.

It was the first time since I started watching The Waltons, that I saw a really unrealistic episode. My respect for that show went down a couple notches when I saw that one.

---------------------------------------------------
Yoda: "Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny."

My 2nd First Blog:http://saturdaymorningfunnies.wordpress.com/
Sterling Holobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 01:15 PM   #2
Auntie
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling Holobyte
I wasn't that big of a fan of The Waltons when I was younger, but I had begun to get into it more, mainly because it is one show that still has some good values and isn't afraid to teach them.

But the episode Hallmark Channel showed yesterday made me wonder if this was when they "Jumped The Shark", so to speak.
It was the one where Elizabeth kept seeing wierd things happen, like rocks and chairs floating around, and the radio getting all static-y when she came near it.
I thought they would show that it was all in her imagination, and they did hint at that during the episode, until I saw the end where everyone saw the stuff happening, and they seemed to explain it more as a manifestation of Elizabeth's "feelings" during puberty. It was like a scene from Poltergeist.

It was the first time since I started watching The Waltons, that I saw a really unrealistic episode. My respect for that show went down a couple notches when I saw that one.
This is just my opinion, but
I think that ever since Richard Thomas left after 'The Return' and 'The Revelation', that the show was starting to go downhill, so maybe they were trying to come up with other story ideas(episodes) for the show, that and with them starting to bring in new characters and everythnig else that was going on with the show. Like I said before, this is just my opinion, not a fact.

"GOD BLESS AMERICA"atriot:
Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 01:03 AM   #3
Sterling Holobyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie
This is just my opinion, but
I think that ever since Richard Thomas left after 'The Return' and 'The Revelation', that the show was starting to go downhill, so maybe they were trying to come up with other story ideas(episodes) for the show, that and with them starting to bring in new characters and everythnig else that was going on with the show. Like I said before, this is just my opinion, not a fact.
Yes, I'm sure they were looking for new story ideas, and maybe they were running out of ideas or something, but with that one they really scraped the bottom of the barrel.
I still can't believe they actually did that episode, because it is soooo dumb.
Oh well, I guess every program falters every once in a while and has a "turkey" of an episode.
I still like the show, but that one episode really baffles me. It is so unlike The Waltons.
Sterling Holobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 08:25 PM   #4
Auntie
Forum Regular

Quote:
Yes, I'm sure they were looking for new story ideas, and maybe they were running out of ideas or something, but with that one they really scraped the bottom of the barrel.
Oh well, I guess every program falters every once in a while and has a "turkey" of an episode.
I still like the show, but that one episode really baffles me. It is so unlike The Waltons.
Every good show eventually comes to an end I guess.(sighs).
Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 09:19 PM   #5
jamijeff
First Time Poster

You are totally right about this episode. I have been recording all the episodes of the Waltons and when I saw this episode I could NOT believe it.

Remember when Olivia goes to the Library to check out a book on the subject?? Wouldn't Olivia's reaction be more like....go see the Reverend about these strange incidents that were happening?

This was my least favorite episode of all time.
jamijeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 09:28 PM   #6
Ireneparalegal
LEGAL SPICE ;)
Forum Celebrity

Location: OXNARD, CA - WHERE THE DALLAS COWBOYS TRAIN & PRACTICE

Quote:
I have to agree with you abt that episode. It SUCKED! excuse my french. Seriously though, John-Boy leaving left a void that could not be replaced. Although I did like the episodes where Mary Ellen got married and had her baby.

That episode abt her husband Curt supposedly being alive and she found him alive to me was IDIOTIC!!!!! Curt loved Mary Ellen and the writers coming up with this episode goes right next to that poltergeist episode...STUPID.

As for the premise that Elizabeth was hitting puberty and this is what was occurring (poltergeists) really is sending the message to people that young girls hitting puberty can do some crazy things or cause crazy things to happen, when in fact, it is only nature. Women have it bad enough without adding insult to injury that having hit puberty can cause ghostly encounters, etc.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:02 AM   #7
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

I've never seen this episode, but it sounds horrible! I'll be sure to skip it.

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
catlover79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 05:33 PM   #8
APPLEI
Forum Regular

for me The Waltons jumped the shark when Grandpa Walton died!
Richard may have been the star of the show but Grandpa was the heart and soul of the show
just my opinion
APPLEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 05:42 PM   #9
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

^ I agree. When Will Geer passed away and Ellen Corby left due to illness, it just was not the same without Grandma and Grandpa around.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:14 PM   #10
Madame X

Grandpa, Grandma, Mama, John-Boy. Poor Daddy! What was he supposed to do with all those kids! Add Rose and two more kids?

I realize this series was based on Earl Hamner's life, but it's hard to know which things really happened and which things were fabricated. Was this show based on a book like Little House on the Prairie was?

Once four of the main characters were gone, forget it! (I loved Will Geer).

I didn't care for the later shows, especially the ones that centered around the war. If that is what happened to Earl's own family, it is sad that every boy had to go into the service. Maybe that's how it was during the depression.

If those stories were a part of Earl's life, then they needed to be told. If they were made up to keep a dying series alive, then it was just shark bait.
Madame X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:53 PM   #11
Ireneparalegal
LEGAL SPICE ;)
Forum Celebrity

Location: OXNARD, CA - WHERE THE DALLAS COWBOYS TRAIN & PRACTICE

I believe the Waltons did go the route of LHOTP, where they had to invent new storylines just to keep up with the pace of keeping this show alive.

I believe the show jumped the shark when John Boy (Richard Thomas) left, however I really felt the show hitting its low when Mary Ellen lost her husband at Pearl Harbor. NOW, the show was really rock bottom when Rose was added and when they brought Mary Ellen's husband Curt back from the dead. At that point, it was all over for me. So unbelievable.
Ireneparalegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 12:34 AM   #12
Tennesseestorm
Frequent Poster

Ya know, I never really thought of that before, but they all left at one point, except Daddy John. Grandma had the stroke in real-life and was limited in her appearances, grandpa perished of course, and Mama (Olivia) went on to be on other shows (I guess John-Boy did as well), but the show made her ill and she was supposedly away for recovery. At least Grandma, mama and John-Boy came back later on and for the re-union episodes. I think that grandpa would have went on right to the last show and in all of the "return" shows had he not died. If you think, all of them seemed to have left during that period... grandmas stroke for the 77' season if I recall, grandpa died in 78'- John-Boy left around that period (not sure exactly when without looking it up), then Livvy left around what, 1978-79? I liked the later ones, but would have liked them better had they still been there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame X
Grandpa, Grandma, Mama, John-Boy. Poor Daddy! What was he supposed to do with all those kids! Add Rose and two more kids?
Tennesseestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:19 PM   #13
Mrs. Ducky

IMO, season 7 is one of The Walton's best, even with the absence of Richard Thomas and the passing of Will Geer. Many of these episodes are really good such as the one centering around Pearl Harbor, Ben and Cindy eloping (I really liked her character), Jim-Bob realizing he'll never be able to join the Air Corp because of his eyesight, Ike's heart attack, and Corabeth's struggle with alcoholism among others. Even though the show had passed it's prime, I don't think the s*** really hit the fan until Rose, Jeffrey, and Serena showed up and Olivia left for good.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:36 PM   #14
Marvo301
I'm NOT a Blockhead!
Forum Veteran

Cool

For me the "jump the shark" moment was when they hired a different actor (who looked nothing like Richard Thomas) to play John Boy. I believe his name was Robert Wightman.

A life isn't worth living unless it has impact on other lives. Jackie Robinson

Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man. Benjamin Franklin
Marvo301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:19 PM   #15
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvo301
For me the "jump the shark" moment was when they hired a different actor (who looked nothing like Richard Thomas) to play John Boy. I believe his name was Robert Wightman.
You are correct! After the first Waltons reunion film (in 1982), he vanished into obscurity. Richard Thomas reprised John-Boy in the subsequent reunion movies.