Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: An Appreciation for Mike Schur's Comedies; IFC Acquires Pee-wee's Playhouse
Drunk History and Corporate Return in January; Jim Gaffigan Returns with Comedy Central Special
The Dick Van Dyke Show and I Love Lucy in Color on Dec. 14; The CW Sets January 2019 Premiere Dates
getTV 2018 Holiday Marathons Schedule; truTV Comedy Returns for 3rd Season
Freeform and ABC's 2018 25 Days of Christmas Schedule; The CW Orders Full Seasons of All Freshman Series
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 12, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Vanessa Bayer Set to Co-Create and Star in Showtime Comedy; Orange is the New Black Sequel in Discussions

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)

The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection Alice - The Complete Eighth Season Step by Step - The Complete Third Season

10/02 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 6th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 7th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 8th Season
10/02 - Ghosted - The Complete First Season
10/02 - The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One / Volume Two
10/02 - Police Squad! - TV and Movie Collection
10/02 - Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection
10/16 - Community - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/23 - Alice - The Complete Eighth Season
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Two
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Three
10/31 - The Bad News Bears - The Complete Series - All 26 Episodes
11/01 - Episodes - Season 5
11/05 - Robin Williams - Comic Genius (includes Mork & Mindy)
11/06 - American Dad! - Volume 13
11/20 - Step by Step - The Complete Third Season
11/27 - What I Like About You - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-03-2009, 01:44 PM   #256
Dutabi84
kittens must die
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet
I will never understand why anyone thinks getting stoned is "fun."
Of course you won't understand. You've never been stoned. That would be like me saying "I'll never know why people enjoy eating caviar," when I've never tried caviar. Yet another total nonsense statement.

Quote:
In a way, being stoned or high is like dementia (unaware of surroundings, confused, can't think and react rationally) and believe me no one would want to have dementia.
Do you honestly know anything about marijuana? Are you even trying to debate here...? You're just making up garbage, now.
Dutabi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:55 PM   #257
Zoneboy
RIP, I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU :(
Forum Celebrity

Location: AT HOME WISHING ALL THIS WAS JUST A DREAM AND THAT I'LL WAKE UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutabi84
Of course you won't understand. You've never been stoned.
I Got Stoned and I Missed it
Zoneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:58 PM   #258
Sharop
Andy Gibb aged 12

Location: Courthouse Square, Hill Valley, beside the clocktower, 10:04 p.m., November 12th 1955

Does anyone know if any of my "crazier" posts in this thread angered JT? I didn't think there was anything wrong with me stating that I believed in things like alternate realities.

I'm trying to chat with JT but he hasn't acknowledged me so I'm concerned that I may have said something here that may have angered him.

I hope that isn't the case. But if it is, JT, please let me know.

Doc: Don't worry! As long as you hit that wire with the connecting hook at precisely 88 miles per hour, the instant the lightning strikes the tower, everything will be fine!
Sharop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:04 PM   #259
Dutabi84
kittens must die
Forum Veteran

Quote:
It creates a whole lot of problems, that's for sure...
http://www.usdoj.gov/dea/ongoing/marijuana.html

One example: "Marijuana users are far more likely to use other drugs like cocaine and heroin than non-drug users."
Just as I've been saying all along.

Nice source, as if the DEA doesn't have invested interest in keeping marijuana illegal or anything.

My favorite part is that your source can't back anything up with reasonable statistics. Here's the one statistic it provided:

Quote:
The risk of using cocaine has been estimated to be more than 104 times greater for those who have tried marijuana than for those who have never tried it.
I like how they throw in the word "risk" to make it sound as if they're not trying to equate correlation with causation. Naturally, since marijuana is as easily obtainable as it is, you're going to find that most people that have used a dangerous drug, such as cocaine, have used marijuana before.

The Myth of Marijuana's Gateway Effect
by John P. Morgan, M.D. and Lynn Zimmer, Ph.D.

Quote:
The primary basis for this "gateway hypothesis" is a recent report by the center on Addiction and Substance Abuse (CASA), claiming that marijuana users are 85 times more likely than non-marijuana users to try cocaine. This figure, using data from NIDA's 1991 National Household Survey on Drug Abuse, is close to being meaningless. It was calculated by dividing the proportion of marijuana users who have ever used cocaine (17%) by the proportion of cocaine users who have never used marijuana (.2%). The high risk-factor obtained is a product not of the fact that so many marijuana users use cocaine but that so many cocaine users used marijuana previously.
All it takes is a little common sense to see how false your cute little "gateway" theory is.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:08 PM   #260
Dutabi84
kittens must die
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoneboy
Nice.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:21 PM   #261
Fleet
Mansions, limousines & H-ween
Forum Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Fleet

Quote:
Of course you won't understand. You've never been stoned. That would be like me saying "I'll never know why people enjoy eating caviar," when I've never tried caviar. Yet another total nonsense statement.
I'll put it this way... I'll never understand how someone who makes a fool of himself (which it the same thing as being stoned) as "fun."

Quote:
Do you honestly know anything about marijuana? Are you even trying to debate here...? You're just making up garbage, now
I know it's a mind-altering drug and I also know that many people who ruined their lives began the process by starting with marijuana.
And since when is criticizing marijuana and posting some facts about it "garbage?"
Old 03-03-2009, 04:22 PM   #262
Fleet
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Nice source, as if the DEA doesn't have invested interest in keeping marijuana illegal or anything.

My favorite part is that your source can't back anything up with reasonable statistics. Here's the one statistic it provided:

I like how they throw in the word "risk" to make it sound as if they're not trying to equate correlation with causation. Naturally, since marijuana is as easily obtainable as it is, you're going to find that most people that have used a dangerous drug, such as cocaine, have used marijuana before.

The Myth of Marijuana's Gateway Effect
by John P. Morgan, M.D. and Lynn Zimmer, Ph.D.

All it takes is a little common sense to see how false your cute little "gateway" theory is.
As expected, I didn't think that any link or source I post would be accepted by some.
Of course, anything which shows the negatives of marijuana can't be believed!
Fleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:32 PM   #263
Fleet
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG
I know what this is like as I have experience a loved one going through this.
It is a challenge, that's for sure.

Quote:
Over the next few years it got a little worse. She would keep going to the front door at night and going out on the stoop with just a robe on. I'm sleeping upstairs and it was hell for me because nobody likes hearing doors opening and footsteps in your house in the middle of the evening.
I solved that problem by installing a double-cylinder dead bolt lock on the front door (need a key to open from both the inside and outside).

Quote:
I know what living with a person who has dementia is like; however people under marijuana are not as bad as living with someone with dementia.
I would rather live with someone who has a clear mind all the time, and is never under the influence of a mind-altering drug. Having actual demenita is bad enough, but why would anyone want to experience what is essentially "temporary" dementia? I don't know about you, but I LIKE having a clear mind and being cognizant at ALL times.

Quote:
Also, there hasn't been anything that proves marijuana leads to memory loss later in life
I made no such claim. I am saying that if years later it is discovered that it does, is it worth using it?
Old 03-03-2009, 04:35 PM   #264
Dutabi84
kittens must die
Forum Veteran

Quote:
And since when is criticizing marijuana and posting some facts about it "garbage?"
Comparing marijuana to dementia and saying you're unaware of surroundings, confused, can't think and react rationally aren't facts. You're making stuff up, anyone who has used marijuana knows this.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:48 PM   #265
Dutabi84
kittens must die
Forum Veteran

Quote:
As expected, I didn't think that any link or source I post would be accepted by some.
Of course, anything which shows the negatives of marijuana can't be believed!
That was the 3rd time now that I've posted, and PROVED, how your theory doesn't hold any water. And you have yet to even attempt to prove me otherwise.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:22 PM   #266
Doodyville10019
Meet my new friend Sparkie!
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to Doodyville10019 Send a message via Yahoo to Doodyville10019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoneboy
Sorry but Fleet is 100% correct about Jack Webb, and the episodes of Highway Patrol were also meant to be as realistic as possible and were based on actual case files. Anyone with even an ounce of knowledge of these shows would know that by now.

I agree, Charles, but that's not the point I was making to Fleet. Sure, you have an actual case file, but any TV writer can embellish it to make it more exciting for TV. THAT was what I was saying.

Also, some of the law that was used on the Jack Webb shows is either outdated now or proven to be wrong (such as the case in this thread). THAT was another point I was trying to make. My husband is a MONSTER Jack Webb fan (he owns practically every JW show you can get on DVD from the 1950s Dragnet to Emergency! and all the shows inbetween) amnd I asked him about it. He agrees - a lot of the shows are based on real cases and actual fact - for their time.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:35 PM   #267
Doodyville10019
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to Doodyville10019 Send a message via Yahoo to Doodyville10019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharop
Does anyone know if any of my "crazier" posts in this thread angered JT? I didn't think there was anything wrong with me stating that I believed in things like alternate realities.

I'm trying to chat with JT but he hasn't acknowledged me so I'm concerned that I may have said something here that may have angered him.

I hope that isn't the case. But if it is, JT, please let me know.

I really hope JT responds to you, Sharop. As for me personally, I think it's awesome that you believe in those kinds of things! I think it's wonderful! I'd like to (seriously) learn more about it.
Doodyville10019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 05:35 PM   #268
Doodyville10019
Forum Regular

Oh - and Fleet, do I REALLY want to live in 1960 again? Only if I can bring my TV set with RCA plugs, a DVD recorder and a few hundred blank DVD-R's with me. I'd be recording every TV show ever shown that year (except, of course, the soaps).
Doodyville10019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 05:40 PM   #269
Fleet
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Comparing marijuana to dementia and saying you're unaware of surroundings, confused, can't think and react rationally aren't facts. You're making stuff up, anyone who has used marijuana knows this.
Oh, so now marijuana is not a mind-altering drug?
Old 03-03-2009, 05:48 PM   #270
Fleet
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodyville10019
Oh - and Fleet, do I REALLY want to live in 1960 again? Only if I can bring my TV set with RCA plugs, a DVD recorder and a few hundred blank DVD-R's with me
If I could go back then with no memory of later decades, sure. I wouldn't miss DVDs because they were not around then.

But I would like very much the area I live because back in 1960, there were a lot less people and many undeveloped areas. In fact, just down the street from my house and around the corner was a place where you could rent horses for riding.

There was genuine service back then. Doctors made house calls (which would be a huge help now for my mom), gas stations had real service, there were a lot of family-owned stores instead of the box stores like Wal-Mart.
Less crime in general, less high school dropouts, a low divorce rate, products actually made in this country (try finding a toy now that doesn't say "made in China"), a society in general with high morals. No invasion of illegal aliens, instructions on packages in English only (not English and Spanish).
Etc., etc., etc.