Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms Questions and Discussion

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Antenna TV Adds More Affiliates; Paramount Network Invites You to Catch Up on Heathers
Fox Picks Up Sitcom The Cool Kids for Full Season; CBS and ABC Back Nine Pickups
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 22, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Is Alice Next in Line for a Reboot?; CBS Gives Full Season to Three New Series
Fri-Yay: New Sitcoms - What's Working and What's Not?; Brockmire Season 3 Brings Out the Stars
ABC Picks Up Single Parents for Full Year; Netflix Gets Tia Mowry and Loretta Devine Sitcom
Showtime Comedy Gets More Stars; Netflix Orders New Comedy from Novel Writer

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October)

The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season Step by Step - The Complete Second Season Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season

09/04 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Season 12
09/04 - Mom - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Superstore - Season Three
09/04 - Young Sheldon - The Complete First Season
09/11 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season (Blu-ray)
09/11 - The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - People of Earth - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - Community - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
09/18 - Step by Step - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fourth Season
09/25 - Blondie - The Complete 1957 Television Series
09/25 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season
10/02 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season
10/02 - The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One / Volume Two
10/02 - Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection
10/16 - Police Squad! - TV and Movie Collection
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 12-19-2016, 12:31 PM   #1
Retro4Life
Accept No Substitutes

Oh No Sitcoms ‘All in the Family,’ ‘The Jeffersons’ Being Eyed by Sony for Reboots

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/norm...ts-1201944546/

Norman Lear Sitcoms ‘All in the Family,’ ‘The Jeffersons’ Being Eyed by Sony for Reboots (EXCLUSIVE)

Senior TV Reporter
Daniel Holloway
Senior TV Reporter @gdanielholloway

Rob Reiner All in the Family
Everett/REX Shutterstock
December 16, 2016 | 07:00PM PT

Sony Pictures Television is in very early stages of rebooting several classic sitcoms from TV legend Norman Lear as miniseries — including “All in the Family,” “The Jeffersons,” and “Good Times” — Variety has learned exclusively.

The idea currently being discussed by Lear and Sony executives would be to have new actors recreate classic episodes of the shows, working from the original scripts, and package them as short, six-episode anthologies. The scripts would be treated similar to plays being mounted in new productions.

“There is some talk about doing some of the original shows, redoing them with today’s stars,” Lear told Variety. “There is a possibility that we’ll do ‘All in the Family,’ ‘Maude,’ ‘The Jeffersons,’ “Good Times.'”

Discussions about remaking more of Lear’s catalogue come as Sony gears up for the premiere of the new “One Day at a Time,” which re-imagines Lear’s ’80s sitcom about a single mother raising two children. The new series, which premieres on Netflix Jan. 6, focuses on a Latino family with a female Army veteran at its center.

Lear serves as executive producer on the new “One Day at a Time,” with original scripts coming from the show’s writing staff and showrunners Gloria Calderon-Kellett and Mike Royce, with contributions from Lear.

Sony has been in discussions with Lear about the miniseries-reboot concept since before development began on “One Day at a Time.” That series was developed specifically for Netflix, and was never shopped to other buyers. No network or streaming service is yet attached to the miniseries projects.

The miniseries project is a separate idea from the possible “All in the Family” reboot that Lear discussed two years ago at a Paley Center event, which would have seen the show revived with new characters, possibly Latino. That idea was set aside in favor of the new “One Day at a Time.”

“We’re exploring it,” Glenn Adilman, executive vice president of comedy development for Sony told Variety. “It’s sort of tricky to figure out what the business of that is and what that would be and how it would work. But its something we’re trying to figure out.”

Adilman added, “It’s tricky for a lot of reasons, and it’s something we’re exploring.”

Sony controls most of Lear’s TV library through its 1985 acquisition of the producer’s Embassy Communications.
Filed Under:

Norman LearSony Pictures Television
Old 12-19-2016, 03:09 PM   #2
loaferman
Forum Regular

I was a fan of AITF but looking back at Lear's obvious agenda pushing, I can only imagine what they would do today. They should not remake any true classic TV show anyway. Carrol O'Connor was Archie, Sherman Hemsley was George. Nobody should even try to fill their shoes. No originality seems to exist these days.

I hope this fails and fails hard.
“It was ‘Will and Grace,’ it was the social media. Literally. That’s what changed peoples’ attitudes. That’s why I was so certain that the vast majority of people would embrace and rapidly embrace” gay marriage, Biden said.

“Think behind of all that, I bet you 85 percent of those changes, whether it’s in Hollywood or social media are a consequence of Jewish leaders in the industry. The influence is immense, the influence is immense."
-Vice President Joe Biden May 2013
loaferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 03:17 PM   #3
Marvo301
I'm NOT a Blockhead!
Forum Veteran

Madderest

No more reboots!!! Please!! Can someone in Hollywood please come up with an original idea!!

A life isn't worth living unless it has impact on other lives. Jackie Robinson

Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man. Benjamin Franklin
Marvo301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 07:40 PM   #4
Retro4Life
Accept No Substitutes

Like you guys I found this news to be utterly depressing. Those shows were great ( to varying levels) but they are over with. Yes, you could use them for inspiration for new shows (their acting, writing, and realism were excellent) but to remake the whole series and then go so far as to use old scripts...it just boggles the mind.

It seriously is as if Hollywood has just thrown up their hands and said "We give up. We are officially out of ideas."

And people wonder why I'm about to unplug the satellite!
Retro4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 07:50 PM   #5
Mr. Television
15 Years at Sitcoms Online
Forum Legend

The actors were a major reason those shows worked. Leave it alone.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:15 PM   #6
bgva
Forum Regular

It honestly doesn't sound that bad, IMO. The article says it'll be more like a play than anything, not an all-out remake. Reminds me of the NBC live musicals.

I'd actually watch an episode or two...
bgva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 11:12 PM   #7
tlc38tlc38
Knock! Knock!
Forum Veteran

Horrible, just plain horrible idea.

There is only one Archie Bunker and one George Jefferson.

If they do go through with a reboot, I hope it flops big time.
Deuteronomy 15:10
In loving memory of my best friend, my Mama.
tlc38tlc38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 11:13 PM   #8
tlc38tlc38
Knock! Knock!
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Television
The actors were a major reason those shows worked. Leave it alone.
This!
tlc38tlc38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 10:27 AM   #9
Patty Duke
Good night, John Boy
Forum Regular

Enough is enough, stop ruining good old shows.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:33 AM   #10
Babalu

Quote:
Originally Posted by loaferman
I was a fan of AITF but looking back at Lear's obvious agenda pushing, I can only imagine what they would do today. They should not remake any true classic TV show anyway. Carrol O'Connor was Archie, Sherman Hemsley was George. Nobody should even try to fill their shoes. No originality seems to exist these days.

I hope this fails and fails hard.

They would try the same thing but even more so.

White, male, conservative bad.

Black, hispanic, arab/moslem, female, gay, liberal good.

Who gives a ****?

I just nailed Mrs. Trumbull
Babalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 02:30 PM   #11
JJM
Frequent Poster

This is an bad idea, i dont think ether show would fly today due the the utra-pc of hollywood. The fun of these shows was the lovable bigot, but today bigots got to be evil. Archie and George will be played as bad people today, but on the original shows they won't. They were just products of the times they lived.
JJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 04:25 PM   #12
UMFaninMD
I am Sherlocked

Those shows worked because it was a product of the times back then. Even though we're still dealing with those same racial, political, and socio-economic issues, a lot has changed and what they got away with in the 70's won't wash today. And you'll never find a cast as good. Sony just needs to let it be and develop original content.
UMFaninMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 07:26 PM   #13
Dude111

Thumbs down

I will not watch any!!!

PURE GARBAGE..... Especially ALL IN THE FAMILY which was awesome in the 70s!!

I REALLY HATE EVERYTHING ABOUT THE WORLD TODAY..Nothing but unpure trash!!

NOTHING WOULD BE GOOD ABOUT ANY OF THOSE SHOWS USING THE BRAINDEAD MASSES OF TODAY!!
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 12:58 PM   #14
bgva
Forum Regular

Guys...the article says they're basically redoing the original scripts and presenting them as a six-part anthology. It sounds a lot like the musicals NBC does every year. They're not completely remaking the show the way they did with The Odd Couple. I can't stand remakes, but I think this is a bit different.

Quote:
The idea currently being discussed by Lear and Sony executives would be to have new actors recreate classic episodes of the shows, working from the original scripts, and package them as short, six-episode anthologies. The scripts would be treated similar to plays being mounted in new productions.
I understand no one can ever replicate the roles Carroll O'Connor or Sherman Hemsley gave us, and I know that the forum thinks anything made after 1987 is trash, but I don't think this is as egregious as you all are making it out to be.
bgva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 03:11 PM   #15
Dianne3
Forum Regular

I think today's TV in general from the main networks (CBS, NBC etc) is at crossroads, and a lot of it is self-inflicted.

I am a classic TV fan and probably couldn't name you 10 shows of today. But I do know from reading various message boards that in the past decade or more, new shows were being cancelled without being given a chance to find an audience. A lot of the classic TV we see were either not hits right away, or at all. If the networks in the past weren't so quick to cancel new shows, maybe some of them would have become hits.

Daytime TV is a major mess. The 4 remaining soaps suck, but I don't think any replacement programming would do better. How many talk shows do you need? I'm wondering if the networks now regret cancelling their other soaps.

And up until this year, the NFL was a sure thing rating wise. Now there is major panic about rapidly declining ratings.

I take it reality TV is dead.
Dianne3 is offline   Reply With Quote