Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

I Dream of Jeannie links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / I Dream of Jeannie Photo Gallery

I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete First Season (Black & White)

Buy I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete First Season (Black & White) on DVD
I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete First Season (Colorized)

Buy I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete First Season (Colorized) on DVD
I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Second Season

Buy I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Second Season on DVD
I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Third Season

Buy I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Third Season on DVD
I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
I Dream of Jeannie - Seasons 1 and 2 (Mill Creek)

Buy I Dream of Jeannie - Seasons 1 and 2 (Mill Creek) on DVD
I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Series (2013 Release)

Buy I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Series (2013 Release) on DVD

Buy I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Series (2008 Release) on DVD / Buy I Dream of Jeannie...Fifteen Years Later (TV Movie) on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > I Dream of Jeannie
User Name
Password

Headlines / New on DVD/Blu-ray
SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines:

TV Land Orders New Sitcom Starring Jim Gaffigan; FX Laughs It Up on Monday Nights with Sheen, Grammer and Lawrence
Melissa Joan Hart Explains It All On truTV Tonight; Comedy Central Renews Two Series for 3rd Seasons
FX Fall 2014: Mike & Molly Reruns Premiere; Jerry Seinfeld's Single Shots on Crackle
Summer 2014 Week 9 Sitcom Ratings
SitcomsOnline Digest: Community Season 6 Plans; The Equalizer Complete Series on DVD
Blossom, Big Bang Theory Star Hosting Candid Camera; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of July 28, 2014)
Here's Lucy Heading to Cozi TV; The CW Drops Comedies Seed, Backpackers
TVGN Adds Love Boat, Wings, Family Ties, and More; Hallmark's Lisa Whelchel/Kim Fields Movie Scores
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: FX, Includes 12-Day Simpsons Marathon on FXX; TCM Remembers James Garner
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: Fox, The CW; Remembering TV Legend James Garner
Summer 2014 Week 8 Sitcom Ratings
SitcomsOnline Digest: Enlisted to Return as Online Series?; Batman and Wonder Years DVD Updates
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: CBS; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of July 21, 2014)
TV Land's Candid Camera Premieres Aug. 11; NBC Gives Debra Messing Series a Preview Airing
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: ABC, Includes Fall 2014 Premiere Dates; Hot in Cleveland Animated Episode to Air July 30 on TV Land
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: NBC Networks; More Info on Apt. 23 on Logo, With 8 Unaired Episodes

New on DVD/Blu-ray (July)

07/01 - American Dad! - Volume 9
07/08 - The Soul Man - The Complete First Season
07/15 - Diff'rent Strokes - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 and 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-31-2011, 11:45 PM   #1
Brian Damage
Forum Legend
I'm Rich Bitch

Location: What Ain't No Country I Ever Heard Of...They Speak English in What?
Question Do You Think The Outfits Worn On 'I Dream Of Jeannie' Prevented It From Being Dated?

I think first of all, were all in uniform - I dont think its dated as far as clothing is concerned, she said, and secondly, it takes people away from their worries - its gentle fun and sometimes we need that dont we?

http://www.parramattasun.com.au/news...s/2172524.aspx

Money Doesn't Buy Happiness...But I'd Rather Cry in My Private Jet
Old 06-01-2011, 02:42 AM   #2
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

To some degree, yes.

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
Old 06-01-2011, 02:41 PM   #3
Marvo301
Forum Veteran
I got a rock.

Cool

The uniforms help but what really makes "Jeannie" timeless is the fantasy aspect of the show. What single man wouldn't want his very own genie in the form of a beautiful young woman who can perform magic? That is a timeless and universal theme!

A life isn't worth living unless it has impact on other lives. Jackie Robinson

Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man. Benjamin Franklin
Old 06-04-2011, 04:55 AM   #4
TV Knowledge Fan

Default As with virtually all filmed sitcoms of its time...

...."I DREAM OF JEANNIE" was designed to be "timeless", so that it could be syndicated in perpetuity after its original network run. Therefore, very few topical references were used [although a few managed to slip in, including a picture of President Lyndon Johnson on the wall behind the General's desk in several episodes]. And that went for the outfits worn by the cast as well [and if you've seen at least one Air Force or Army uniform, you've seen them all]....at least, in the initial seasons.

For example, look closely at the production photo in Brian Damage's initial posting. When do you think that was taken?

Can't tell, can you?

If you're an avid viewer, you'd know that was from the end of the episode "My Son, the Genie" {December 12, 1967} [Jeannie is saying to Tony, "...and you should be the President!"]. To a casual viewer (or one who's never seen the episode or show before), the clothing doesn't give any hint as to when it was filmed. Even though Larry Hagman is wearing a "skinny tie", they often find their way back into style...as they are now. His dress suit would be perfectly acceptable in a "modern" crowd, without looking "dated"...

And of course, there's Barbara Eden's harem outfit. No one ever filled Jeannie's slippers (do genies wear pantyhose?)- or those billowing trousers- or that brassiere under her little jacket- better than her! And her look is "timeless" as well. Gwen Wakeling, a veteran Hollywood costume designer, created Jeannie's "ancient" appearance along the lines of the "traditional" Hollywood idea of what a Middle-Eastern "harem girl" might look like. She designed her first season outfits, including the variation with the "see-through" layers of skirt later worn by Jeannie's sister. Eventually, Joie Hutchinson became the series' uncredited costume and fashion designer. And her ideas sometimes started to reflect when the series was filmed.

As early as "How Do You Beat Superman?" {November 28, 1966}, Joie created several "mod" outfits for Jeannie to model in a scene before a mirror in her bottle. Unusual, to say the least...and they stood out in an episode that was supposed to be "timeless".

...and then came "The Mod Party" {April 24, 1967}. That was a "topical" episode of sorts, reflecting trendy fashion styles [or a slight exaggeration of them]. Joie's "mod" oufit for Jeannie [the one with the hat, green skirt, and boots] is adorable- and something you wouldn't often see on the street these days (and you wouldn't see Tony and Roger's "mod" clothing, either). And notice the guests at Roger's party- most of them are wearing the beginning of what became the "psychadelic" era of the late '60s.

And then, of course, came the penultimate fashion episode, "Jeannie My Guru" {December 30, 1968}. That was the most "topical" episode of the entire series, for it involved Jeannie and Tony interacting with "hippies", all "groovy" and "way out". Their clothing would never have been seen two or three years before. But times were changing, and as I've mentioned before, some "topicality" was referred to in certain episodes. This is the one most people refer to as the "grooviest" episode ever produced...and the most "dated".

In the final season. Joie Hutchinson began creating more "contemporary" outfits for Barbara/Jeannie to wear. Lots of mini-skirts and boots were seen...and on her they looked......well.......

So, yes, most of the time, the fashions worn over the years didn't date the series that much. But there IS a difference in the "look" between the first two seasons and the last two....