Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Golden Girls Central / The Golden Girls links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Golden Girls Photo Gallery

The Golden Girls - Season 1

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 1 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 2

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 2 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 3

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 3 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 4

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 4 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 5

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 5 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 6

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 6 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 7

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 7 on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > The Golden Girls
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 4, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Pilot Season at Amazon to Come to an End?; CBS Plans "Winter Games" with Celebrity Big Brother
Fri-Yay: Search Party, Creating a New Kind of Sitcom; Remembering Jim Nabors, MeTV and Decades TV Network to Pay Tribute
ABC Faves Head to Hulu; SMILF Gets 2nd Season on Showtime
CBS Orders Full Seasons of Sophomore Sitcoms; Desperate Housewives Star Heads to Dynasty
Two and a Half Men Heads to Nick at Nite; WE tv Acquires Criminal Minds

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-14-2013, 03:02 AM   #16
misplaced texan
Occasional Poster
no longer misplaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnothy

One inconsistency in a line I can't believe no one on the show caught was when Rose told Blanche and Dorothy she was adopted. She said Gunter and Alma NYLUND were her adoptive parents--Nylund was her married name. Her maiden name was Lindstom.

Another inconsistency was all the girls raising money for house repairs. They buy the DiKimmel painting for a new roof. The house was Blanche's and the others paid rent. Any expenses to the house would have been up to Blanche.

I can't believe no one caught Nylund vs Lindstrom either. As for house repairs, I know at some point Blanche added them to the mortgage...it was the episode where she wants to put in a hot tub and writes a check for the permit, but when Rose lets it slip that they're "practically sleeping on top of each other" the city person tells her she has to make expensive repairs because she's now considered a boarding house. The girls agonize over who moves out, when Dorothy suggests that Blanche adds them to the mortgage so they all own the house and aren't tenants. She finally agrees to do it. I don't remember if the house repair episode was before or after that though, and I know Blanche mentions its "her house" several times during the series so maybe that was forgotten too. LOL
Old 07-01-2013, 05:01 AM   #17
Sean Conner
Frequent Poster

Much like the TV shows from that era, continuity and inconsistencies are a major problem. Of course, when the episodes originally aired, syndication was just really starting to take off and the internet wasn't even in its infancy, so, most writers probably never anticipated fans picking over all these errors.

Some other issues:

George's death is inconsistent on two separate occasions. Initially, Blanche said he had been in a coma and she was getting a pedicure when he died. Another time, she said he was killed in a car accident and received word over the phone that he had died (at 2:00 a.m. to boot).

Miles originally appears as a friend to Blanche's date and he's named Arnie.

Dorothy claims her grandmother died when she was six years old. However, in a flashback episode, Dorothy is seen married to Stan while her grandmother (who is actually played by Bea Arthur) visits.

When they discuss how the Girls came to live with one another, it's stated Rose was thrown out of her apartment because she had cats - except it's established in another episode that Rose is allergic to cats.

Dorothy was supposed to have gotten pregnant by Stan at her prom. However, one episode focuses on a prom date who 'never showed up' and, instead, we find out he had but Sophia turned him away because she didn't like his attitude. Dorothy then explains she felt rejected and later went out with Stan, having sex and getting pregnant - initially blaming her mother for her lot in life.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #18
McGillicuddy

In an early episode, Rose's mother, Alma comes to visit. Later in the series Rose says something about swearing on her parents' graves. I suppose Alma could have died, but you'd think they would made mention of it.

Also I never understood why Phil's funeral and burial were held in Miami. Phil lived in Brooklyn. Wouldn't it make more sense for Dorothy and Sophia to go up there for the funeral, instead of his wife, Angela bringing the body to Florida? And where were Phil's kids???
Old 07-03-2013, 06:31 AM   #19
Sean Conner
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGillicuddy

Also I never understood why Phil's funeral and burial were held in Miami. Phil lived in Brooklyn. Wouldn't it make more sense for Dorothy and Sophia to go up there for the funeral, instead of his wife, Angela bringing the body to Florida? And where were Phil's kids???

The episode tries to explain it away early when Sophia mentions she talked Angela 'Big Sally' into having Phil buried in the family plot ... which, I guess, was in Miami.

It works somewhat because they never specifically state when Dorothy (and I'm assuming Sophia) moved from Brooklyn to Miami. The only definitive thing we know is that Sophia was in Brooklyn when she was 50 (flashback episode), but that doesn't mean much considering she was near 80 when the series started. So, somewhere between 1959 and 1985, she moved to Miami.

Wiki says Sal died in 1983*, so, two years before the series started. It's entirely possible all three moved to Florida in the 60s or 70s, (four when you include Stan) and the family plot being there would make sense. It's also established in the series that Phil wasn't very wealthy (they lived in a trailer and Sophia had to displace six of his ten children, who all slept in the same room, when she stayed with him - so, not much room for all those kids), and maybe they couldn't afford a plot of their own and Sophia, with Dorothy's help, paid for the burial down in Miami.

I guess that is a way to explain it - especially if Sal was in Miami when he died, since he's buried there and Sophia would be buried there at the time of her death.

It's harder to explain away why the kids didn't show up to the funeral - especially when consider even some of Phil's cross-dressing buddies decided to show up!

Oh, and I think Phil lived in New Jersey, Newark, to be exact - so, not Brooklyn.

*The series originally established 1983 by saying Sal and Sophia had been married 52 years and were married in 1931 (1931+52 = 1983). However, Dorothy claims in another episode that "Pop" has been dead 22 years - which would put his death some time in the 1960s. So, another error and one that changes the dynamics. If Sal died while they still lived in Brooklyn, wouldn't the family plot actually be in Brooklyn instead of Miami? I doubt they moved his body when they relocated to Miami - so, if he died in 1983, it's more probable he died in Miami than if he died in 196X, when I doubt Dorothy, Stan, Sophia and Sal all relocated to Miami. But who knows, maybe they did relocate to Miami in the 50s or 60s (we know Stan and Dorothy got a divorce in 1984 and had been married 38 years - which puts their marriage back in the 40s ... which gives a considerable amount of time for them to relocate) and soon thereafter, Sal died and was buried at the new family plot

Wow. I over-analyzed that like mad.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:54 PM   #20
schmave
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Conner
The episode tries to explain it away early when Sophia mentions she talked Angela 'Big Sally' into having Phil buried in the family plot ... which, I guess, was in Miami.

It works somewhat because they never specifically state when Dorothy (and I'm assuming Sophia) moved from Brooklyn to Miami. The only definitive thing we know is that Sophia was in Brooklyn when she was 50 (flashback episode), but that doesn't mean much considering she was near 80 when the series started. So, somewhere between 1959 and 1985, she moved to Miami.

Wiki says Sal died in 1983*, so, two years before the series started. It's entirely possible all three moved to Florida in the 60s or 70s, (four when you include Stan) and the family plot being there would make sense. It's also established in the series that Phil wasn't very wealthy (they lived in a trailer and Sophia had to displace six of his ten children, who all slept in the same room, when she stayed with him - so, not much room for all those kids), and maybe they couldn't afford a plot of their own and Sophia, with Dorothy's help, paid for the burial down in Miami.

I guess that is a way to explain it - especially if Sal was in Miami when he died, since he's buried there and Sophia would be buried there at the time of her death.

It's harder to explain away why the kids didn't show up to the funeral - especially when consider even some of Phil's cross-dressing buddies decided to show up!

Oh, and I think Phil lived in New Jersey, Newark, to be exact - so, not Brooklyn.

*The series originally established 1983 by saying Sal and Sophia had been married 52 years and were married in 1931 (1931+52 = 1983). However, Dorothy claims in another episode that "Pop" has been dead 22 years - which would put his death some time in the 1960s. So, another error and one that changes the dynamics. If Sal died while they still lived in Brooklyn, wouldn't the family plot actually be in Brooklyn instead of Miami? I doubt they moved his body when they relocated to Miami - so, if he died in 1983, it's more probable he died in Miami than if he died in 196X, when I doubt Dorothy, Stan, Sophia and Sal all relocated to Miami. But who knows, maybe they did relocate to Miami in the 50s or 60s (we know Stan and Dorothy got a divorce in 1984 and had been married 38 years - which puts their marriage back in the 40s ... which gives a considerable amount of time for them to relocate) and soon thereafter, Sal died and was buried at the new family plot

Wow. I over-analyzed that like mad.

That was a good analysis! The writers should have done that. They probably just wrote with the intent of good jokes, "facts" be damned. I never gave much thought at all to Sal having died so close to the series beginning. I always figured he'd died sometime in the 1960s.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:55 PM   #21
ahafan02
Frequent Poster

Sadly this happens a lot because no show ever keeps the same writers...you would have thought the girls would have said something.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:51 AM   #22
Sean Conner
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahafan02
Sadly this happens a lot because no show ever keeps the same writers...you would have thought the girls would have said something.

Different writers and just plain ol' not caring. I mentioned in another post (I think I did, anyway) that back then, series continuity was not a big deal. You've got to remember, syndication was just in its infancy, and there was no internet, so, for the most part, episodes would run once and that would be it. I don't think the writers ever thought fans would nitpick things from certain episodes and you know what? They were right. I mean, how many of these goofs were only picked up in syndication and not when the episode aired? Probably a lot. Maybe not all, since some are pretty big or unexplained (why Gloria never attended her brother's funeral...or for that matter, why his kids didn't, either), but most.

The creation of the internet changed a lot of that. So did syndication and DVD releases of each season (which wasn't available until the last decade, really for many, many shows).
Old 08-19-2013, 06:01 AM   #23
80sTrivia
Forum Veteran
Pop Culture Soothsayer

I have noticed most of the inconsistencies mentioned here over the course of the years, but I agree, they never diminished how much I have enjoyed the show!!!
Old 06-24-2014, 08:20 AM   #24
'80sSitcoms

Here's one I can't believe no one has mentioned:

Charlie died about "5 years ago" in the series; yet, in the pilot, he died 15 years ago! That would have made his heart attack at age 40!

Unless Charlie was quite an older man than Rose, but I always picture them about the same age.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:16 AM   #25
McGillicuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by '80sSitcoms
Here's one I can't believe no one has mentioned:

Charlie died about "5 years ago" in the series; yet, in the pilot, he died 15 years ago! That would have made his heart attack at age 40!

Unless Charlie was quite an older man than Rose, but I always picture them about the same age.

Rose also called him "Charles" instead of Charlie, the first few times he's referred to.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:36 PM   #26
Blakeston
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Conner
Different writers and just plain ol' not caring. I mentioned in another post (I think I did, anyway) that back then, series continuity was not a big deal. You've got to remember, syndication was just in its infancy, and there was no internet, so, for the most part, episodes would run once and that would be it. I don't think the writers ever thought fans would nitpick things from certain episodes and you know what? They were right. I mean, how many of these goofs were only picked up in syndication and not when the episode aired? Probably a lot. Maybe not all, since some are pretty big or unexplained (why Gloria never attended her brother's funeral...or for that matter, why his kids didn't, either), but most.

I wouldn't say syndication was in its infancy when the Golden Girls was on. Star Trek reruns were shown regularly via syndication starting in 1969. The writers should have been fully aware that there was a good chance people would be rewatching episodes.

And other sitcoms from the same era (like Cheers or The Cosby Show, for example) don't seem to be anywhere near as bad with continuity.

I suspect that a lot of people noticed the errors back then. (You don't need to have seen the episodes a bunch of times to realize that it made no sense for Rose's adoptive parents to have the last name Nylund.) It's just that without the internet, they didn't have a way to publicly register their confusion.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:47 AM   #27
Edward216

I know this is a bit off topic but I wanted to add it in here. Has anybody else ever noticed in several episodes that when Betty White or Bea Arthur says a funny line sometimes Rue McClanahan seems to be trying very hard not to laugh out loud at it? I have, and stuff like that always makes me laugh out loud.

Ed.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:18 PM   #28
JR1
Forum Regular

Default Yes...

also with some of Estelle Getty's lines, especially when Dorothy Blanch and Rose are sitting at the table.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:35 AM   #29
Busymom
First Time Poster

In the episode where the girls attend a mystery weekend, early in the episode Blanche is wearing these black dangly earrings and Rose comments that those are her earrings that Blanche borrowed without asking. However, in an episode earlier in the same season, when Blanche is nervous about her date with Mel Bushman because of her renewed feelings for him after having feared him dead, she is wearing the exact same earrings that supposedly belong to Rose.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:18 PM   #30
bandonurse
Forum Regular

A very odd one to me, was the episode where they suddenly "revealed" that Rose had a drug dependency of over 30 years. Rose could never have refilled a prescription over 30 years without a doctor's OK, yet they seemed to imply that she was getting the refills on her own. That was confusing.