Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Golden Girls Central / The Golden Girls links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Golden Girls Photo Gallery

The Golden Girls - Season 1

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 1 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 2

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 2 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 3

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 3 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 4

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 4 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 5

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 5 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 6

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 6 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 7

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 7 on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > The Golden Girls
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: The Year in Sitcoms; NBC Sets Premiere for A.P. Bio
MeTV January 2018 Schedule Has Diff'rent Strokes; HBO Hit Comedy Returns for 2nd Year
getTV Acquires Norman Lear Sitcoms; Comedy Central Gets Scripted Comedy
Brooklyn Nine-Nine Starts on TBS Jan. 4; Fuller House Season 3, Part 2 Premieres Just in Time for the Holidays!
American Dad! Christmas Special on TBS; Jessica Jones Returns for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 4, 2017)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-22-2002, 02:34 AM   #1
Norge75
Occasional Poster

Default Golden Girls Inconsistencies

While watching the 11 o'clock episode of GG tonight I notice that Mammie Watkins refers to Blanche as Blance Marie Hollingsworth. When we all know from the episode where Rose believes Blanche to have slept with Charlie that Blanches initials are BED. Blanche Elizabeth Devereaux. Any other inconsistencies you have noticed lately? I would love to know.
Old 10-22-2002, 01:10 PM   #2
jayman75
I Love the 80s!

Send a message via Yahoo to jayman75

There are MULTIPLE inconsistencies with the show:

-- Dorothy's age
-- Her children's ages
-- Grandchildren

That's just a few.

You might also look at the "Two characters, One actor" post. There are lots of actors who played two different roles on the show. One main person was Harold Gould -- he originally played "Arnie," a date of Rose's, in an early episode. He then came back a few seasons later to play Miles Webber/Nicholas Carbone, Rose's main squeeze.

That's brings up another inconsistency. Miles was in the Witness Protection Program. When he announced his real name when he thought the Cheeseman died, it totally threw Rose.

However, Miles invited his daughter to visit for his birthday. So, how was this allowed??

There are just a few things...

Good call on Mammy. I knew the BED part, but never put the two together.

The Wonder Years, Burns and Allen, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Are You Being Served?,
Family Guy, South Park, Designing Women, The Golden Girls,
Dallas, The Facts of Life, Roseanne, Will and Grace,
The Twilight Zone, Original Scooby-Doo, Murphy Brown, The Big Bang Theory...

Talk to me about one of these shows, and I'm all yours...
Old 10-22-2002, 04:21 PM   #3
Adam the Great
Frequent Poster

Ok, here are some more insonsistencies. On the pilot episode Charles Levin played a gay cook named Coco, but after that episode Coco was never mentioned again. Also in the pilot episode, Estelle Getty's "Sophia"wig is different from the other episodes. Finally 2 different actresses play Dorothy's sister Gloria. In the episode "The Custody Battle" Gloria is played by a red-headed actress named Doris Belack. But in the episodes Monkey Business 1 and 2, Dena Dietrich a blond haired lady plays Gloria.
Old 10-22-2002, 04:43 PM   #4
TVJunkie101
Member...you 'member?

Send a message via AIM to TVJunkie101

Quote:
Originally posted by Adam the Great
Ok, here are some more insonsistencies. On the pilot episode Charles Levin played a gay cook named Coco, but after that episode Coco was never mentioned again. Also in the pilot episode, Estelle Getty's "Sophia"wig is different from the other episodes. Finally 2 different actresses play Dorothy's sister Gloria. In the episode "The Custody Battle" Gloria is played by a red-headed actress named Doris Belack. But in the episodes Monkey Business 1 and 2, Dena Dietrich a blond haired lady plays Gloria.

About Estelle/Sophia's wig, I believe in the pilot episode, and maybe others? can't remember, you are seeing her actual hair, it's just powdered to look white. Later on, and through the rest of the series, she wears various wigs, covering up her actual hair.

I know the reason Coco/Charles Levin was dropped, but can't explain it, LOL, it had something to do with the kitchen table/cheesecake scenes and Sophia. Sorry, I just really can't remember the reasoning behind writing out Coco except that the writers wanted to just focus on the four women.
Old 10-22-2002, 04:59 PM   #5
~LadyJess~
Football Chick

Send a message via AIM to ~LadyJess~

Also, the number of children that Rose and Blanche have always change.
Old 10-22-2002, 05:18 PM   #6
jayman75
I Love the 80s!

Send a message via Yahoo to jayman75

Quote:
Originally posted by TVJunkie101

About Estelle/Sophia's wig, I believe in the pilot episode, and maybe others? can't remember, you are seeing her actual hair, it's just powdered to look white. Later on, and through the rest of the series, she wears various wigs, covering up her actual hair.

I know the reason Coco/Charles Levin was dropped, but can't explain it, LOL, it had something to do with the kitchen table/cheesecake scenes and Sophia. Sorry, I just really can't remember the reasoning behind writing out Coco except that the writers wanted to just focus on the four women.

The part about Sophia's hair is correct...

For Coco -- originally, Sophia was supposed to be a "supporting" character. This is why, during the original first couple seasons, she wasn't featured as much during the credits (at the end of Lifetime's is usually the scene where Dorothy tells the others that "no matter what happens, let's stick together!")

She wasn't supposed to be seen as much as she was, but her opinions attracted audiences, producers and others that they realized her part needed to be capitalized on. So, she was brought in as a man character, and Coco went Gogo.
Old 10-24-2002, 09:46 AM   #7
shocolah
Forum Regular
Bring Back The Wonder Years!!!

"Michael, you're 29 years old!" says Dorothy. Um, Dorothy, weren't you 18 or 19 when you had Michael? That would make you about 48-49. And before that, he was 23. This would make her about 42. I ... don't.....think....so!!! (even "Maude" was 47 years old and into her 50's when the show ended many many years beforehand!)

Angela comes to Miami and hasn't spoken to Sophia for 30 years. Why didn't she mention this to Dorothy? And wouldn't Dorothy notice that her mother and her aunt have not exchanged one lousy phone call or written a letter in 30 years?

And the "Gloria" thing has always bothered me. Gloria was shorter, and as mentioned above, had red hair before. Later she comes back as tall as Dorothy and blonde. OH WELL, I still love the show anyway.

Last edited by shocolah : 10-24-2002 at 09:51 AM.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:43 PM   #8
schmave
Frequent Poster

I was seven when the series began and 14 when it ended. I don't remember when I started watching with my parents on Saturday nights, but even as a kid I remember the inconsistencies. They became that much more glaring when the show went into syndication and was on five days a week.
I think I read once where the writing team changed about halfway through the series. That's one excuse, but still it always bugged me!
Old 03-24-2013, 02:28 PM   #9
*ROGER*
Banned!!
Banned

In the first episode, Dorothy tells Rose that she grew up in Queens. After that, it's always Brooklyn that Dorothy grew up in.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:04 PM   #10
andress_jade
RIP Sweet Princess Carrie

Send a message via MSN to andress_jade Send a message via Yahoo to andress_jade

I'm kind of glad this subject was brought up in this thread. The show was very good when it came to inconsistencies.

Early on in the series, Sophia went to visit her son, Phil. According to Sophia, Angela was a welder and never cooked. "She would only get up to go to the kitchen to get a cold beer!"
Later on in the series after Phil died, we meet Angela and Sophia called her "Big Sally". But now she's a cosmatologist. Speaking of Phil's funeral, why wasn't any of the rest of the family there? Gloria, Kate, Michael, Angelo, Angela? That never did make much sense to me.

So did Sophia only have Angela and Angelo for siblings? The reason I ask is because I have heard Sophia talk of other relatives. She would tell Dorothy about her Aunt Regina and Aunt Renata.

Also, Dorothy never had any grandkids but according to her in one episode, she was telling the girls that they were grandmothers. Since when did Dorothy become a grandmother? I mean Michael had a baby with Lorraine but after the episode where she and Michael announce the pregnancy and get married we never hear about the baby again.

Also Rose's daughter Kirsten was played by two different actresses. In Season one her daughter Kirsten has one daughter, Charley. In the later Season Home Again, Rose Kirsten is believed to have several daughters and apparently they are too young to come to the hospital. Um Charley wouldn't be too young by that time.
The same with Blanche. Her daughter Janet had David and then later, Melissa and then in Home Again, Rose, she has Sarah.

Also Rose said she graduated high school and was valedictorian because she drew the longest straw, but then later on she says she never graduated high school.

In the episode Grab That Dough, the announcer says that Sophia was a grandmother of six. How is that possible if there was Michael and Kate? Unless he meant great grandma? Nevermind, I guess he could have been referring to Phil and Gloria's kids. Although, Sophia did say that Phil and Angela had 10 kids once and I don't know how many kids Gloria had.

So how many kids did Rose have? There was Kirsten, Bridget, Adam, Janella and Charlie, Jr.
Blanche had Rebecca, Matthew, Skippy, Janet, Doug? Hers were always changing episode to episode.

Rose wasn't allergic to cats as Dorothy said in one episode. She had a cat Lindstrom, and then Mr. Peepers later on.

I could go on forever. This show had soooo many inconsistencies! I loved it anyway!
In Memoriam: John Ritter, Hayden Rorke, Sidney Sheldon, Bob Denver, Don Knotts, Andy Griffith, Elizabeth Montgomery, Bea Arthur, Estelle Getty, Rue McClanahan, Farrah Fawcett, Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, David Angell, Christopher Reeve, Shirley Temple Black, Larry Hagman, Lucille Ball, Patrick Swayze, Robin Williams, Alan Thicke, Mary Tyler Moore, Prince, George Michael, Jim Nabors, Debbie Reynolds and Carrie Fisher.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:33 AM   #11
schmave
Frequent Poster

Good post! I hadn't even thought about all of those. The characters being played by different actors/actresses never really bothered me, but the other stuff ... yeah. I chalk almost all of it up to laziness or ignorance by the second crew of writers (which sounds mean but I don't intend it to be ... none of them knew to look back at old episodes, nor did they probably have the time). I understand continuity being sacrificed on occasion for the sake of humor, but they took it to a new level! It never affected my enjoyment of the show, but it was enough to notice 20 years ago for an OCD teen like myself.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:33 AM   #12
johnothy
Occasional Poster

The inconsistency with Dorothy's children was always confusing considering it was brought up throughout the series how she got pregnant out of high school and married Stan. I always assumed Kate was the first child because she seemed older than Michael who's age was mentioned and there's no way he could be the child Dorothy had at 18 or 19 based on her age of 55 during the first season.

Blanche has daughters Janet and Rebecca, but she also mentioned sons Biff, Doug, and Skippy. She also mentioned a son Matthew who was a CPA. He was seen on Golden Palace.

With Rose we saw daughters Kierston and Bridget. However, she also mentions Janella, Adam, and Charlie Jr.

One inconsistency in a line I can't believe no one on the show caught was when Rose told Blanche and Dorothy she was adopted. She said Gunter and Alma NYLUND were her adoptive parents--Nylund was her married name. Her maiden name was Lindstom.

Another inconsistency was all the girls raising money for house repairs. They buy the DiKimmel painting for a new roof. The house was Blanche's and the others paid rent. Any expenses to the house would have been up to Blanche.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:59 PM   #13
schmave
Frequent Poster

The one with Rose's birth name supposedly being Nylund was, IMO, the worst inconsistency of the entire series. I don't know how no one, including Betty White herself, caught that. Even she had to know Rose's maiden name was Lindstrom.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:20 PM   #14
JR1
Forum Regular

Default Angelo...

Sophia said she and Angela were the only ones left of the original family. I really do believe that Angela simply became Angelo, as her sister was never mentioned again after her second appearance.

The show definitely had its share of inconsistencies; but, some of the best shows have (even I Love Lucy).
Old 06-14-2013, 02:58 AM   #15
misplaced texan
Occasional Poster
no longer misplaced

Another one I didn't see mentioned was Blanche's daughter Rebecca. The first time we see her, Blanche describes her as a former model, but she's gained a lot of weight since then and brings her BF (who later proposes and she says yes because she thinks she can't do better) who proceeds to bash her and make sarcastic remarks about her at every turn. The girls are all ready to kill him but Rebecca tolerates it because she thinks being fat she can't get anyone else. Luckily she realizes Blanche is right and dumps the loser. The next time we see her she's a lot thinner with different colored hair (the first Rebecca I think had dirty blonde hair that was mostly straight, the second Rebecca had dark hair that was curly) and wanting to have a baby via in vitro fertilization. That actress played Rebecca the rest of the times she appeared on the show.

All the other ones I would've mentioned (particularly Kirstin) have already been mentioned.