Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Golden Girls Central / The Golden Girls links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Golden Girls Photo Gallery

The Golden Girls - Season 1

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 1 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 2

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 2 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 3

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 3 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 4

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 4 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 5

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 5 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 6

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 6 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 7

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 7 on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > The Golden Girls
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

American Dad! Christmas Special on TBS; Jessica Jones Returns for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 4, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Pilot Season at Amazon to Come to an End?; CBS Plans "Winter Games" with Celebrity Big Brother
Fri-Yay: Search Party, Creating a New Kind of Sitcom; Remembering Jim Nabors, MeTV and Decades TV Network to Pay Tribute
ABC Faves Head to Hulu; SMILF Gets 2nd Season on Showtime
CBS Orders Full Seasons of Sophomore Sitcoms; Desperate Housewives Star Heads to Dynasty

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-06-2014, 03:33 PM   #76
stellrchef
First Time Poster

Default It should be said

The fact that you couldn't tell from the series episodes speaks volumes about their professionalism to have had a successful sitcom for 7 seasons.

Say what you will, but they were fantastic at their craft. We lost good ones when we lost them.

I still love Betty White. Bea and I are kindred spirits
Old 06-06-2014, 09:59 PM   #77
ILuvCarolBurnett
Forum Regular

Betty White has acknowledged publicly Bea Arthur did not like her, but honestly, something tells me Bea didn't like a lot of people. It was her way. She was a brassy broad.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:18 AM   #78
king of comedy

She always was.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:41 AM   #79
Elsa
First Time Poster

If I understand the situation correctly, Bea never said anything publicly about disliking Betty - or about her being a "c" etc. So why did Rue McClanahan have to make it public? I think that was a pretty cruel thing to do, both to Betty and to Bea, because now many people are questioning their character. And so, in the end, even though I've only heard good things about Rue, I'm questioning her character, especially as Betty was still alive to be hurt by this story circulating everywhere. And I also bet that Rue knew exactly WHY Bea didn't like Betty and whether the feeling was mutual, but she only tells the story about Bea's insult? Either tell all the truth, to be as fair as possible, or keep your mouth shut, to be as compassionate as possible. Rue was neither.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:29 AM   #80
choob99
First Time Poster

I can't remember what interview I had seen online from years ago, but I do know from that interview that Bea was not a fan of Estelle....first off Bea hated that it was an ensemble cast, but the show worked and they got paid good money and Bea had a stake in the show so she kept doing it for the money, but she was VERY pissed that Estelle was hired because she really "couldn't act" in Bea's words from the interview...she wasn't nasty about it in the interview but you could kind of see in they way she said it that back then it didn't go over well.....she also found Betty to be "annoyingly happy" she said something along the lines of....how the hell can someone walk around that happy every day, its just not normal. I don't think that was the only reason they didn't get along but there definitely some other things going on behind the scenes....they were all professional so of course they got along and did they show, they made huge money and were the #1 show on TV, lesser actors probably couldn't have gone all but they all were pros aside from Estelle....I do hope they all buried the hatchet before they each died but honestly the truth will never be known.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:27 AM   #81
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Everyone has their side of the story.

You know the old expression, "There's three sides to every story. Yours, mine & the truth?"

I'm sure this applies to all the cast members, too.

Old 01-17-2016, 10:59 AM   #82
jayman75
I Love the 80s!

Send a message via Yahoo to jayman75

Quote:
Originally Posted by choob99
I can't remember what interview I had seen online from years ago, but I do know from that interview that Bea was not a fan of Estelle....first off Bea hated that it was an ensemble cast, but the show worked and they got paid good money and Bea had a stake in the show so she kept doing it for the money, but she was VERY pissed that Estelle was hired because she really "couldn't act" in Bea's words from the interview...she wasn't nasty about it in the interview but you could kind of see in they way she said it that back then it didn't go over well.....she also found Betty to be "annoyingly happy" she said something along the lines of....how the hell can someone walk around that happy every day, its just not normal. I don't think that was the only reason they didn't get along but there definitely some other things going on behind the scenes....they were all professional so of course they got along and did they show, they made huge money and were the #1 show on TV, lesser actors probably couldn't have gone all but they all were pros aside from Estelle....I do hope they all buried the hatchet before they each died but honestly the truth will never be known.

Sorry, but I simply do not believe you. I have never heard an interview that Bea and Estelle had an issue. The cast acknowledged that Estelle had stage fright, and later trouble with her lines, but that was related to Estelle's later diagnosis of Lewy-Body Dementia.

Until you have a true source for this interview you claim to have seen, I think you're simply trying to keep a pot stirred.

The Wonder Years, Burns and Allen, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Are You Being Served?,
Family Guy, South Park, Designing Women, The Golden Girls,
Dallas, The Facts of Life, Roseanne, Will and Grace,
The Twilight Zone, Original Scooby-Doo, Murphy Brown, The Big Bang Theory...

Talk to me about one of these shows, and I'm all yours...
Old 01-17-2016, 04:47 PM   #83
ILuvCarolBurnett
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by choob99

Bea wasn't easy to get along with. She was brash, told you what she thought without hesitation, and had a bit of distrust for people in show business. Aside from that, regarding Estelle Getty: Bea was not comfortable with Estelle's lack of acting experience. She had the weakest resume of the cast, so Bea openly doubted her abilities in the beginning. However, her opinion changed of Estelle halfway through the first season. She actually marveled at Estelle's superb timing. And throughout the rest of the show's run, she and Estelle actually became close. THAT is the truth re: Bea & Estelle.