Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Golden Girls Central / The Golden Girls links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Golden Girls Photo Gallery

The Golden Girls - Season 1

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 1 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 2

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 2 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 3

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 3 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 4

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 4 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 5

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 5 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 6

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 6 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 7

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 7 on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > The Golden Girls
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 4, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Pilot Season at Amazon to Come to an End?; CBS Plans "Winter Games" with Celebrity Big Brother
Fri-Yay: Search Party, Creating a New Kind of Sitcom; Remembering Jim Nabors, MeTV and Decades TV Network to Pay Tribute
ABC Faves Head to Hulu; SMILF Gets 2nd Season on Showtime
CBS Orders Full Seasons of Sophomore Sitcoms; Desperate Housewives Star Heads to Dynasty
Two and a Half Men Heads to Nick at Nite; WE tv Acquires Criminal Minds

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-07-2010, 01:00 PM   #46
Karen197488
Frequent Poster
The Golden Girls 1985-1992

I say believe what you want to believe. If Bea and Betty hated each other why did it last seven seasons!!

I also read in Rue McClanahan's book, page # 273. last paragraph--

"Despite any rumors of lurking tension, Bea refused to go to lunch without Betty everyday. On Fridays, we had dinner in our bathrobes between the afternoon and evening shows, across the lot in a big dining room full of the cast and crew, where we got rewrites for the evening show. Bea would never walk across the lot to dinner until Betty was ready to walk with her, even if Betty made her wait, and they sat next to each other in the dining hall."
Old 06-07-2010, 01:49 PM   #47
ThomasE
Forum Veteran

Well, that was nice of Bea to do that. It almost sound love/hate to me.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:34 PM   #48
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen197488
I say believe what you want to believe. If Bea and Betty hated each other why did it last seven seasons!!

Because it was a top rated show and they were very well paid. Whether they were friends or not, it was a job.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:44 PM   #49
Superbatboy
Forum Regular
The Brandon Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen197488

I also read in Rue McClanahan's book, page # 273. last paragraph--

"Despite any rumors of lurking tension, Bea refused to go to lunch without Betty everyday. On Fridays, we had dinner in our bathrobes between the afternoon and evening shows, across the lot in a big dining room full of the cast and crew, where we got rewrites for the evening show. Bea would never walk across the lot to dinner until Betty was ready to walk with her, even if Betty made her wait, and they sat next to each other in the dining hall."
Awwww, that sounds so sweet
Old 06-14-2010, 10:09 PM   #50
Rezny@gmail.com

Betty White mentioned on "The Joy Behar Show"tonight that she wrote an autobiography,many years ago.Maybe it tells in that.If anyone has it,let us know!
Old 06-15-2010, 12:51 PM   #51
SueAnn_Rose
Forum Regular
Sue Ann Nivens BFF

What a nice thing Bea did for Betty. I believe that story cause really if they didn't like each other than why did they work 7 seasons on a show together and every scene they had was together?.
ღBetty & Allen Luddenღ
★Betty White★

Elka & Maxღ
Old 06-15-2010, 01:41 PM   #52
lovebetty
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueAnn_Rose
What a nice thing Bea did for Betty. I believe that story cause really if they didn't like each other than why did they work 7 seasons on a show together and every scene they had was together?.
I agree
Old 06-15-2010, 05:39 PM   #53
McGillicuddy

Betty doesn't detest anybody!! Things were great for the first five years of GG, but by season 6, Bea was unhappy, and ready to call it quits. She stuck it out 2 more seasons. Thats all there is to the story.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:48 PM   #54
liane49

[quote=Marvo301]Thanks for sharing this with us. It's too bad these ladies couldn't have found a way to get along with each other but I guess that's just how life is sometimes.[/QUOBett
Betty was on Joy Beher's talk show and she said Bea wasn't found of her and she never knew why but Betty really liked her. I mean, who wouldn't like Betty?
Old 05-12-2013, 06:12 PM   #55
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueAnn_Rose

$$$
Old 07-18-2013, 05:45 AM   #56
80sTrivia
Forum Veteran
Pop Culture Soothsayer

I guess I don't like hearing that Bea and Betty did not particularly care for each other, as it breaks the mystique around the show and the characters. I suppose I just want to imagine that the actresses embodied the characters that they played, because their relationships on the show seemed very genuine and heart-felt. I guess this means they truly were gifted actors!!!
Old 07-18-2013, 08:26 AM   #57
king of comedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sTrivia
I guess I don't like hearing that Bea and Betty did not particularly care for each other, as it breaks the mystique around the show and the characters. I suppose I just want to imagine that the actresses embodied the characters that they played, because their relationships on the show seemed very genuine and heart-felt. I guess this means they truly were gifted actors!!!
They both had great chemistry and that's what made the show work.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:50 AM   #58
Sean Conner
Frequent Poster

Here is a video where Betty White admits Bea Arthur was not fond of her:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-wTJ2hQCK8

"Bea was not that fond of me ... but I loved Bea."

So, there was definitely some tension, though, I don't know if that equals Bea hating Betty.

What I think is more true has already been established in this thread - Bea was a very blunt and sometimes distant person. I don't take that to mean she hated everyone, but rather just had a difficult time showcasing her emotions.

My grandmother, my mom's mother, who I was extremely close with, had a very similar personality. She was Irish and could be blunt, non-emotional in emotional situations and definitely ruffled feathers by some of her comments. If, however, you got beyond that hard shell, there was someone there who was extremely caring and would do just about anything for you - I mean, seriously go to the mat for you.

I get the sense that was Bea. She might've gotten irritated with Betty or Rue and maybe was a stick sometimes, but at the end of the day, I don't think she would've ever turned her back on any of 'em and it plays right into what Rue wrote in her autobiography - she was there for Betty, even if she gave off the appearance of someone who wasn't too fond of her.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:15 AM   #59
Tybo28
Frequent Poster

Here's the deal, there is no way these women worked together for 7 years and got along 100% of the time. It's just not gonna happen, especially in show business. Actors all have different backgrounds, training, and egos. There isn't a show on television that has run that long where you won't find disputes like this. The fact that they even awknowledged their differences, when most try to just pretend it didn't happen, is probably proof enough that the reasons they give are probably true.

Bea Arthur had a mostly theatre background, whereas Betty White's was almost exclusively television. Those are two completely different worlds. I think Bea did have an ego, but I also think she was the most "professional" of the girls. Not that the others didn't take it seriously, but Bea looked at it as a very serious job. It was work and comedy is hard. Her personal relationships came second to getting the job done. In theatre there is no room for mistakes, you play it through and you go home. I'm sure Bea didn't like having to do multiple takes if someone screwed up (including herself) or waiting for anyone who might be late. Also, in theatre, breaking character in front of an audience is considered extremely unprofessional. Betty White would talk to the audience and make jokes in between scenes, Im sure that drove Bea crazy, as Im sure she was the type to stay in character. Again, it's just a difference in working styles. I'm guessing the set was more "relaxed" than Bea would have liked.

In a show like this, there is always going to be rifts about who has more storylines, the better storylines, the best jokes, costumes, etc. that's just how it goes. I don't think Bea personally disliked any of them, including Betty. I think she just didn't always enjoy WORKING with them. Watch an interview with Bea, and then one with Betty. It takes about 10 seconds to realize these women have completely different personalities. Betty is relaxed, laid back and often laughs and smiles. Bea is stern and serious. She doesn't make jokes and considers herself a serious legitimate actress, because she was. there is nothing wrong with that. I'm sure those differences reflect in their working relationship too. Remember, Bea was a New York actress and Betty was an L.A. actress. Even today, those are very different.

Bea really was the anchor of the show, as evidenced by the disasterous Golden Palace. That's a lot of responsibility. She probably understood that as well, and I'm sure winning the Emmy last did hurt her, and probably sparked some jealous feelings. She was able to play Dorothy so great because she was a terrific actress, not because she could relate. I love all the girls, but I feel like Bea takes a lot of slack just because her professionalism is seen as unkind. Some of the best comedians are not the most warm and friendly people that everyone wants them to be.

Last edited by Tybo28 : 01-31-2014 at 12:43 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:57 AM   #60
80sTrivia
Forum Veteran
Pop Culture Soothsayer

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tybo28
Here's the deal, there is no way these women worked together for 7 years and got along 100% of the time. It's just not gonna happen, especially in show business. Actors all have different backgrounds, training, and egos. There isn't a show on television that has run that long where you won't find disputes like this. The fact that they even awknowledged their differences, when most try to just pretend it didn't happen, is probably proof enough that the reasons they give are probably true.

Bea Arthur had a mostly theatre background, whereas Betty White's was almost exclusively television. Those are two completely different worlds. I think Bea did have an ego, but I also think she was the most "professional" of the girls. Not that the others didn't take it seriously, but Bea looked at it as a very serious job. It was work and comedy is hard. Her personal relationships came second to getting the job done. In theatre there is no room for mistakes, you play it through and you go home. I'm sure Bea didn't like having to do multiple takes if someone screwed up (including herself) or waiting for anyone who might be late. Also, in theatre, breaking character in front of an audience is considered extremely unprofessional. Betty White would talk to the audience and make jokes in between scenes, Im sure that drove Bea crazy, as Im sure she was the type to stay in character. Again, it's just a difference in working styles. I'm guessing the set was more "relaxed" than Bea would have liked.

In a show like this, there is always going to be rifts about who has more storylines, the better storylines, the best jokes, costumes, etc. that's just how it goes. I don't think Bea personally disliked any of them, including Betty. I think she just didn't always enjoy WORKING with them. Bea really was the anchor of the show, as evidenced by the disasterous Golden Palace. That's a lot of responsibility. She probably understood that as well, and I'm sure winning the Emmy last did hurt her, and probably sparked some jealous feelings. She was able to play Dorothy so great because she was a terrific actress, not because she could relate. I love all the girls, but I feel like Bea takes a lot of slack just because her professionalism is seen as unkind. Some of the best comedians are not the most warm and friendly people that everyone wants them to be.

Excellent post!!!