Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Golden Girls Central / The Golden Girls links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Golden Girls Photo Gallery

The Golden Girls - Season 1

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 1 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 2

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 2 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 3

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 3 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 4

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 4 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 5

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 5 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 6

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 6 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 7

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 7 on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > The Golden Girls
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: The Year in Sitcoms; NBC Sets Premiere for A.P. Bio
MeTV January 2018 Schedule Has Diff'rent Strokes; HBO Hit Comedy Returns for 2nd Year
getTV Acquires Norman Lear Sitcoms; Comedy Central Gets Scripted Comedy
Brooklyn Nine-Nine Starts on TBS Jan. 4; Fuller House Season 3, Part 2 Premieres Just in Time for the Holidays!
American Dad! Christmas Special on TBS; Jessica Jones Returns for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 4, 2017)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-03-2010, 12:29 PM   #31
mstewart
mstewart

Send a message via Yahoo to mstewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOliver
It's always on the most successful TV shows where you hear some members of the cast didn't get along...

"I Love Lucy" - Ball vs. Frawley
"Bewitched" - Montgomery vs. York, Lynde vs. Morrehead, Sargent vs. Moorehead
"All In The Family" - Stapleton vs. O'Connor
"Three's Company" - DeWitt vs. Somers
"Good Times" - Rolle vs. Walker; Ames vs. Walker
"Laverne and Shirley" - Marshall vs. Williams
"Rhoda" - Harper vs. Kavner

As long as there are TV shows, there will always be egos and Emmys.
As long as there are egos and Emmys, there will always be friction among the stars.
As long as there is friction among stars, there will always be fodder for the tabloids and gossip.

Alice - Linda Lavin vs Polly Holliday; Linda Lavin vs Diane Ladd
Too Close for Comfort - Ted Knight vs Nancy Dussault
Old 04-03-2010, 12:51 PM   #32
zypherix
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstewart
Alice - Linda Lavin vs Polly Holliday; Linda Lavin vs Diane Ladd
Too Close for Comfort - Ted Knight vs Nancy Dussault

Roseanne - Roseanne Barr vs [insert any name here]
Old 05-13-2010, 10:24 PM   #33
Rezny@gmail.com

I think I have an idea about WHY they supposedly didn't like each other(and I have NO idea if it's true),by watching The Tonight Show with Jay Leno,last night,when they had Betty White (delightful as always)on the show,and included a collage of clips from her past TV performances,and included a clip from a "Dinah's Place" (or "Dinah")with the late Dinah Shore,in which Bea Arthur and Betty White guested,and both sang "42nd Street" and it sounded to me like Bea was trying to drown Betty out.That could be why they supposedly didn't get along.But who knows?Did anyone else see "The Tonight Show"with Jay Leno last night?
Old 05-13-2010, 11:39 PM   #34
LittleRickyII

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrezny@usnetizen
I think I have an idea about WHY they supposedly didn't like each other(and I have NO idea if it's true),by watching The Tonight Show with Jay Leno,last night,when they had Betty White (delightful as always)on the show,and included a collage of clips from her past TV performances,and included a clip from a "Dinah's Place" (or "Dinah")with the late Dinah Shore,in which Bea Arthur and Betty White guested,and both sang "42nd Street" and it sounded to me like Bea was trying to drown Betty out.That could be why they supposedly didn't get along.But who knows?Did anyone else see "The Tonight Show"with Jay Leno last night?

Is this what you're referring to?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tde2tH5dhXs
Old 05-14-2010, 01:00 PM   #35
Rezny@gmail.com

Yes,that is exactly what I mean.Thanks.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:51 PM   #36
McGillicuddy

Wow that's interesting. Way before The Golden Girls! It looks like Maude and Sue Ann together. I don't think there could have been dissention between the two way back then! I sure never knew they ever appeared together at all before GG.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:41 AM   #37
lucyandethel
Forum Regular

I never heard that Jean Stapleton & Carroll O'Connor from "All in the Family" didn't get along. Not sure I buy that one.

I remember reading in Rue McClanahan's bio that Bea Arthur was a little tough on Estelle Getty in the beginning of "The Golden Girls" and then the two grew to love each other.

I don't necessarily buy that Betty White & Bea Arthur "hated" each other. But, I believe they were both very different people, at least from what I can understand. I am certain they didn't always see eye to eye, but to say they hated each other is not really possible to me.

Backstage gossip is usually just that...gossip....
Old 05-27-2010, 03:46 PM   #38
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

This may be colored by what I've seen in her characters, but Bea Arthur always struck me as a blunt, tell-it-like-it-is person...no BS. And that kind of person can rub others the wrong way.

They don't usually mean to, but when people don't sugar-coat their opinions or observations, it can be a bit hard to take...especially if you don't know them well.

Like the expression goes: There's three sides to every story: You'rs, mine & the truth.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:40 AM   #39
SueAnn_Rose
Forum Regular
Sue Ann Nivens BFF

I still don't think they didn't get along but I think we should all just let it be and if they didn't like each other that should be all in the past now. Since Bea is no longer with us we can't really know what went on between all of the girls but all we can do is just stop thinking that they were not getting along.
ღBetty & Allen Luddenღ
★Betty White★

Elka & Maxღ
Old 05-28-2010, 06:35 PM   #40
McGillicuddy

I think its just something that's just been fueled with rumors, and blown way out of proportion. The only thing I think is sad is that Betty was not at Bea's memorial service, while Rue was, and even gave a eulogy. I wonder if she was not welcomed to come, or just declined.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:53 PM   #41
OOliver
Forum Regular

Upon the news of her death this morning, here is what one researcher recalled Rue saying about her castmate Bea Arthur not too long ago...

When Arthur died in April 2009, McClanahan recalled that she had felt constrained by "Golden Girls" during the later years of its run. "Bea liked to be the star of the show. She didn't really like to do that ensemble playing," McClanahan said.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:05 PM   #42
onthesetflickr
Frequent Poster

From looking at some of the old bloopers Bea was tough on the set. She wanted everyone to get the lines right the first time and every time. Yes she was important to the show but without the others there would have been no Golden Girls at all. The original poster makes sense. With two huge names on one set there was bound to be some friction.

See a model of the Golden Girls set.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24682838@N05/3391967073
Old 06-05-2010, 08:43 PM   #43
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Bea was the one who really pulled that ensemble together. She was the leader.

When they tried continuing on without her in The Golden Palace, it wasn't the same. The only good episodes were when she guest-starred.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:27 AM   #44
scotsguy
Forum Regular

The only thing I ever read about Bea and Betty was that when Bea left "The Golden Girls" and the show finished,Betty felt the show could have gone on for a few more years.

So sad only Betty is alive now.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:32 PM   #45
McGillicuddy

The Golden Girls, would have never been the phenomenal success it became without each of the 4 actresses, as well as each of the 4 characters. I don't know of any other show in history where the principle characters complemented each other so well. This showed when Bea left, and the others went on to The Golden Palace.

Its sad to think Bea was that unhappy being part of an ensemble. One can only hope she realized how much her work on GG was appriciated by so many diehard fans. I can't imagine any other actress in the role of Dorothy.