Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Golden Girls Central / The Golden Girls links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Golden Girls Photo Gallery

The Golden Girls - Season 1

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 1 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 2

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 2 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 3

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 3 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 4

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 4 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 5

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 5 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 6

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 6 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 7

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 7 on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > The Golden Girls
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Brooklyn Nine-Nine Starts on TBS Jan. 4; Fuller House Season 3, Part 2 Premieres Just in Time for the Holidays!
American Dad! Christmas Special on TBS; Jessica Jones Returns for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 4, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Pilot Season at Amazon to Come to an End?; CBS Plans "Winter Games" with Celebrity Big Brother
Fri-Yay: Search Party, Creating a New Kind of Sitcom; Remembering Jim Nabors, MeTV and Decades TV Network to Pay Tribute
ABC Faves Head to Hulu; SMILF Gets 2nd Season on Showtime

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 11-22-2009, 02:39 PM   #16
JL82
Frequent Poster

[quote=mattc]This is bogus for sure. I read Rue's autobiography, and she mentions that their relationship (Betty and Bea's) was not "what I would have liked," but she did say that Bea and Betty had lunch together everyday, and that there was no resentment on the set.

Also, when you watch the bloopers vid of GG, you can see Bea and Betty laughing with each other, and at one point, Bea laughs and leans on Betty's lap.. hardly the type of action of two people who "detest" each other.

I have trouble believing that someone who is really in the know would post in the fashion that our original poster did here.

But I have to say, I have watched the bloopers videos, and they almost seem to stay in character when they tease each other. Have you seen the one where Betty says, "Bea screwed up," very Rose-like? And Bea is still in Dorothy-character when she goes, "Yes, I did." Same where Bea corrects Betty's mistake on "Belgian," versus "Belgium." I guess I'm not very good at picking up on these things, but I'm not sure I would swear it was all truly good-natured.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:41 AM   #17
PinkKupcake86
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel676
I have a question, which I doubt can be answered, but it's worth a shot! If Bea and Betty detested each other before GG, why would they agree to be on the same show with each other???
I agree wit u...
well if thts the case they deserved all the awards they received for the show bc they must have been sum reallly good actresses....i dont believe tht one i think they got along jus fine.lol
Old 01-11-2010, 02:33 AM   #18
lucyandethel
Forum Regular

I've read a lot of things about actors on series not getting along with each other and I say, really, who cares? I mean, what is the point? Why ruin our cherished memories of these shows. I suspect just like in any job, you work with people you love and some people you may not care much for. Such is life. I love the Golden Girls, whether they all got along or not.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:46 AM   #19
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

I think what a lot of people don't realize is that a TV show is like a job. It's a place where people work and make their living. Does everyone here get along with everyone they work with? Maybe not. Are there people we don't like or agree with? Probably.

I think some of us like to idealize these shows -- that everyone got along on (insert your favorite show here) and they were just "one big happy family."

Personally, all I care about is if the show's any good. I just want to be entertained. While I do find "behind the scenes" books and shows to be of interest, ultimately, what matters most is the show. As Shakespeare once said, "The play's the thing."
Old 01-16-2010, 02:59 PM   #20
OOliver
Forum Regular

It's always on the most successful TV shows where you hear some members of the cast didn't get along...

"I Love Lucy" - Ball vs. Frawley
"Bewitched" - Montgomery vs. York, Lynde vs. Morrehead, Sargent vs. Moorehead
"All In The Family" - Stapleton vs. O'Connor
"Three's Company" - DeWitt vs. Somers
"Good Times" - Rolle vs. Walker; Ames vs. Walker
"Laverne and Shirley" - Marshall vs. Williams
"Rhoda" - Harper vs. Kavner

As long as there are TV shows, there will always be egos and Emmys.
As long as there are egos and Emmys, there will always be friction among the stars.
As long as there is friction among stars, there will always be fodder for the tabloids and gossip.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:34 AM   #21
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOliver
It's always on the most successful TV shows where you hear some members of the cast didn't get along...

"All In The Family" - Stapleton vs. O'Connor

I never heard or read about those two not getting along. I know there was some friction between O' Connor and producer Norman Lear, which resulted in O' Connor walking out and missing some episodes (the "Archie Is Missing" storyline), but that was it.

I remember reading in the National Enquirer that there was some friction between O' Connor and Sally Struthers after Gloria was spun off into her own show because she blew him off, but never heard anything about any fight with Stapleton.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:09 PM   #22
Madame X

With a bogus post, notice that the poster doesn't respond or come back and defend their statements!
Old 01-19-2010, 11:19 AM   #23
ThomasE
Forum Veteran

Maybe the posting is true. I don't want to go and criticize the poster. However, I remember seeing Betty, Bea and Rue on the 2008 TV Land Awards and there was a lot of love between Bea and Betty and Rue as well. If there were differences, I am glad that the matters were put to the side or resolved before Bea's passing.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:29 AM   #24
McGillicuddy

I think something happened in later years. Actually the first I heard any dissention between the two is when Bea was performining her one woman show and in the audience was Estelle Getty and Betty White. Bea made it a point to acknowledge Estelle was there, but totally ignored Betty, who was stunned and hurt. Also the annomosity always seemed 1-sided, (on Bea's part).
One thing I find curious is that Rue was not only at Bea Arthur's memorial service, but she spoke. Betty was not there at all, and no explanation was ever offered. It was explained why all 3 missed Estelle Getty's funeral.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:28 PM   #25
ThomasE
Forum Veteran

If Bea did that, that was awfully selfish of her. I do remember hearing something about that. Oh well. It looked like they were getting along on the TV Land awards.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:07 PM   #26
JL82
Frequent Poster

I think Bea is a great comic/entertainer, but I suspect that in some ways, on Golden Girls, Betty may have had a more difficult acting job. It can be tough to "play dumb" for comedy, and I think Dorothy may have been closer to Bea's real personality than Rose was to Betty's.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:04 PM   #27
OOliver
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Thong
I never heard or read about those two not getting along. I know there was some friction between O' Connor and producer Norman Lear, which resulted in O' Connor walking out and missing some episodes (the "Archie Is Missing" storyline), but that was it.

I remember reading in the National Enquirer that there was some friction between O' Connor and Sally Struthers after Gloria was spun off into her own show because she blew him off, but never heard anything about any fight with Stapleton.

It wasn't "a fight" with Stapleton, but it was reported that he was "cool" towards her since she would never back him up when he butt heads with Norman Lear. It later resurfaced when Stapleton didn't attend his funeral in 2001. (She claimed she had another comittment, but others said 'nonsense!').
Old 03-12-2010, 08:54 PM   #28
JR1
Forum Regular

On "I Love Lucy," it was moreso Vivian Vance and William Frawley who HATED each other- with apassion, go the reports. But, it worked for the characters they played, didn't it?

Bea and Betty probably were not the best of friends- Bea even said that they weren't having dinner at each other's houses or anything- but it seems they had a civil, appreocative-of-the-other relationship.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:04 PM   #29
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Just because people work together doesn't mean they're friends. I get along with most of the people I work with, but I don't see them outside of work.

Ted Danson and Shelley Long didn't get along offscreen, but that didn't stop them from doing some great work together on Cheers.

What matters most to me is the work. If a show or movie is well-written and well-acted, then I'm happy.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:36 PM   #30
JR1
Forum Regular

Default Very True...

I think as fans of the work, we sometimes like to think that how we saw them interact on the show is how they were in real life- but that's obviously not always the case.

I have no doubts that Betty and Bea had great respect for each other as professionals.