Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat > Chit Chat - Archives

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of July 16, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Game of Thrones Leads Emmy Nominations; New Beverly Hillbillies DVDs Coming in October
Fri-Yay: What Was the Best Decade for Sitcoms?; The 70th Primetime Emmy Awards Nominations
Netflix Gets Christina Applegate Comedy; South Park Returns Sept. 26 for Season 22
Alone Together Returns Aug. 1 on Freeform; Sony Crackle Gets Rob Riggle Comedy
CBS Fall 2018 Premiere Dates; Freeform Announces Holiday Movies for 2018
Antenna TV Is Singin' and Swingin'; Conan Returns to Comic-Con International

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July)

New Girl - The Complete Seventh Season Alice - The Complete Seventh Season Green Acres - The Final (Sixth) Season The Last Man on Earth - The Complete Fourth Season The Good Place - The Complete Second Season

06/05 - Living Single - The Complete Fifth Season
06/05 - New Girl - The Complete Sixth Season
06/05 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-First Season (Blu-ray)
06/12 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fourth Season
06/12 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Third Season
06/12 - The Office - The Complete Series
06/12 - Speechless - The Complete First Season
06/12 - Speechless - The Complete Second Season
06/12 - Step by Step - The Complete First Season
06/12 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season One (Blu-ray)
06/19 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fourth Season
06/26 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Fifth Season
06/26 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Sixth Season
06/26 - The Mick - The Complete First Season
06/26 - The Mick - The Complete Second Season
07/03 - New Girl - The Final (Seventh) Season
07/10 - Alice - The Complete Seventh Season (WBShop.com)
07/10 - The Bill Engvall Show - The Complete First Season (WBShop.com)
07/10 - Green Acres - The Final (Sixth) Season
07/10 - The Last Man on Earth - The Complete Fourth Season
07/17 - Cooper Barrett's Guide to Surviving Life - The Complete Series
07/17 - The Good Place - The Complete Second Season
07/17 - Son of Zorn - The Complete Series
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 11-14-2008, 10:04 PM   #1
Family Ties Forever!
Forum Veteran

Post PETA: Make Meat Eaters Pay Bigger Premiums

Imo, it looks like PETA is overstepping bounds again.

Quote:
link

PETA: Make Meat Eaters Pay Bigger Premiums
Animals Rights Group Approaches Blue Cross Blue Shield

Posted: 7:11 am CST November 14, 2008

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals called on Blue Cross Blue Shield of Vermont to raise health insurance premiums for people who eat meat and lower the premiums for vegetarians, Plattsburgh, Vt., television station WPTZ reported.

Video: Charge Meat Eaters More?

In a letter sent Monday to Bill Milnes Jr., president of Blue Cross Blue Shield Of Vermont, PETA Executive Director Tracy Reiman urged Blue Cross to raise rates on meat eaters because, she said, heart disease, diabetes and other leading killer diseases have been conclusively linked to the consumption of meat and other animal products.

"Given the latest news about the effects of E. coli on meat-eaters -- and the mountain of evidence linking meat consumption to some of our nation's deadliest diseases -- this change will benefit Blue Cross Blue Shield's bottom line while also helping to ensure that your policyholders don't flat line," Reiman wrote.

Reiman went on to point to recent reports of an E. coli outbreak in Vermont. In October, a Vermont slaughterhouse recalled a ton of ground beef after 10 cases of E. coli were traced to meat from Vermont Livestock Slaughter & Processing in Ferrisburg. The recall was voluntary.

Earlier in the month, three people were diagnosed with E. coli in Orleans County. Health officials attributed those cases to raw milk as the source.

"As you might know, E. Coli grows in the intestines of many farmed animals. Slaughterhouses are filthy places, and when animals are eviscerated, feces often spray in every direction," Reiman wrote.

She goes on to claim that vegetarians are less prone to heart disease, certain types of cancer, diabetes and obesity.

"By giving your policy holders a financial incentive to go vegetarian -- and penalizing those whose meat-based diets fuel our nation's worst health problems -- Blue Cross Blue Shield could save millions of dollars in the long run," Reiman wrote.

But it doesn't appear that Blue Cross will be taking PETA's suggestion any time soon.

"Under Vermont law, we would not be allowed to vary rates based on the dietary and nutritional habits of various members," said Kevin Goddard, Blue Cross's vice president of external affairs. He said that Blue Cross is always looking to have the healthiest members possible, but "we have no information one way or the other if vegetarians are more healthy."

In September, PETA made headlines in Vermont and across the nation for asking Ben & Jerry's ice cream to use human breast milk in its ice cream instead of cow milk.

"We applaud PETA's novel approach to bringing attention to an issue, but we believe a mother's milk is best used for her child," a representative for Ben & Jerry's said at the time.

Distributed by Internet Broadcasting.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:13 PM   #2
Hollow
Forum Celebrity

yeah, cut some slack for those who lavish their bodies with junk food and alcohol. meat is the only thing that can ruin anyone's health.

note to PETA - quit trying to enforce your pussified standards on the economy. you fail at life.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:28 PM   #3
Yooch

PETA is an organization of f****** idiots, and if not downright disturbing, utterly laughable and pathetic.
"The true meaning of America, you ask? It's in a Texas rodeo, in a policeman's badge, in the sound of laughing children, in a political rally, in a newspaper...In all these things and many more, you'll find freedom. And freedom is what America means to the world. And to me."
--Audie Leon Murphy
June 20, 1924--
May 28, 1971

Old 11-14-2008, 11:16 PM   #4
Big C
I Heart Angie Watson

Only the Oakland Raiders are a more pathetic-looking organization than PETA.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:04 AM   #5
littlebelle
Spell Caster

Send a message via AIM to littlebelle

Hey guys, slow down. PETA is NOT some pathetic organization filled with a bunch of "f***ing idiots". It's a great organization with great intentions in mind; giving a voice to those without voices. Unfortunately, in the type of society that we live in, you pretty much have to forceful to get your voice heard, and the only way to be get your voice heard is through money. I do agree that some of their tactics are borderline, but they're just trying to get their point across. I'm not a vegetarian, I love steak, but I do care about animal rights and I give props to a corporation that's main goal is to care about animals.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:21 AM   #6
Yooch

I happen to love animals; I don't even kill spiders, for God's sake, but this PETA organization really is borderline--psychotic that is.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:31 AM   #7
littlebelle
Spell Caster

Send a message via AIM to littlebelle

Well that's good, I was just hoping you guys weren't against animal rights or something!
Old 11-15-2008, 12:56 AM   #8
Yooch

Not at all. In fact, on Election Day, here in California, our state Prop.2--I voted yes on that, which called for treating farm animals humanely, so they, for example, wouldn't be in crowded, filthy conditions in tiny cages where they couldn't move around or turn around and stretch--just so the farmers could make more profit.

There are all kinds of links on PETA, but to make a long story short--if you do a search on PETA you will find that their zeal and outrageous stunts to gain attention just turn off people.

I read a few years ago where PETA objected to some race car driver drinking a glass of milk after winning a race (apparently a tradition). PETA, it seems, objected on two counts: First, the mere fact that the driver was drinking milk was offensive to them. Secondly, car racing is a sport (in their mind) populated by men of Northern European descent, and they supposedly have the enzyme to digest milk, so they were being somehow racist toward Blacks, Hispanics and Asians--who do not have this enzyme and can therefore not digest milk. I don't have the details and I don't know whether I'm totally accurate in my details, (maybe another SO member knows the story better than I) but that was basically it.

That's why I reacted the way I did. I just think it's so bizarre.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:57 AM   #9
Brad Russ
Forum Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to Brad Russ

Meat eaters: Make fanatical Peta members shut the **** up!!
St. John 15:13 - Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."

Currently my favorite song.

Last edited by Brad Russ; 11-15-2008 at 06:52 AM.
Old 11-15-2008, 01:01 AM   #10
Big C
I Heart Angie Watson

Quote:
Meat eaters: Make Peta shut the **** up
I love meat, and I hate the way PETA makes meat-eaters sound like monsters!

You aren't always what you eat!
Old 11-15-2008, 01:08 AM   #11
Brad Russ
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU
I love meat, and I hate the way PETA makes meat-eaters sound like monsters!

You aren't always what you eat!
Exactly! Most of our ancestors going back thousands of years were meat eaters. I just got done eating a big hamburger for dinner, and have absolutely no remorse. Some animals were put on this earth for our consumption, and it's nothing to be ashamed of, despite what many over the top animal activists try to make us think.
Old 11-15-2008, 01:12 AM   #12
InspectorExstead
Forum Veteran

uh....no. peta keeps trying to push the line farther & farther & it's just not looking good for them.

http://sosiran.com/
http://tapeshhd.com/index.php
Old 11-15-2008, 01:16 AM   #13
Brad Russ
Forum Veteran

Generally speaking I love what PETA does. It's those cuckoo members that try to take their cause to the extreme who drive me crazy.
Old 11-15-2008, 01:16 AM   #14
Yooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU
Only the Oakland Raiders are a more pathetic-looking organization than PETA.

At least PETA can plead the 'insanity defense'. The Raiders can't plead any defense, but mostly no offense either!
Old 11-15-2008, 01:18 AM   #15
InspectorExstead
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mel
Generally speaking I love what PETA does. It's those cuckoo members that try to take their cause to the extreme who drive me crazy.
i agree. don't get me wrong; i'm glad that they are very passionate about the animals & want to help them. i was a vegetarian for a very long time & can relate. but as with any group, there's always those extremists who go above & beyond & just drive everyone crazy, while giving the others in the group a bad name.