Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Lifetime Site / Lifetime Schedule / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

ABC Mid-Season 2019 Schedule; Amy Sedaris Laffer Returns Feb. 19 on truTV
ABC Picks Up Comedy Starring Lake Bell, Dax Shepard; EPIX Dark Comedy Gets 3rd Season
Lifetime Brings in the Stars for Winter Movies; Celebs Line Up for CBS All Access' Twilight Zone
HBO Comedy Crashing Returns for Season 3; Nick Sitcom Starts Jan. 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 10, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Netflix Pays $100 Million for Another Year of Friends; Reboots of Night Gallery and New York Undercover
Fri-Yay: The Disappearing Art of the Holiday Episode; The Simpsons Turns 30 Years Old with Specials on Fox and FXX

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection Alice - The Complete Eighth Season Step by Step - The Complete Third Season

10/02 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 6th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 7th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 8th Season
10/02 - Ghosted - The Complete First Season
10/02 - The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One / Volume Two
10/02 - Police Squad! - TV and Movie Collection
10/02 - Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection
10/16 - Community - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/23 - Alice - The Complete Eighth Season
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Two
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Three
10/31 - The Bad News Bears - The Complete Series - All 26 Episodes
11/01 - Episodes - Season 5
11/05 - Robin Williams - Comic Genius (includes Mork & Mindy)
11/06 - American Dad! - Volume 13
11/16 - Man with a Plan - Season One
11/20 - Step by Step - The Complete Third Season
11/27 - What I Like About You - The Complete Third Season
12/04 - Family Guy - Season Sixteen
12/04 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Sixth Season
12/18 - Our Cartoon President - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 11-25-2012, 02:44 AM   #61
WishfulDreamer

One of the silliest parts about this case is that the defense claims that Donnie was sleeping on the couch while Julie was shot and the reenactment even shows Donnie yelling, "Hey!", seeing the gunman and shooting, then helping his sister outside.
1) Julie herself said that she had wandered outside after being shot
2) Why would Donnie not have told his parents about the shooting he supposedly witnessed and a gunman while running back and forth with fire extinguishers with them?
3) Let's say Julie's memory was hazy about going out of the house by herself. If Donnie did help her out as he claimed, then he did it BEFORE the house was up in flames or as much on fire. Yet never said a peep to his parents about Julie being hurt or a gunman running around the property while "helping" his parents put out the fire.
4) The whole idea that a gunman would shoot your sister who wandered into the hall and not the guy sleeping on the couch who very clearly saw the gunman is positively ludicrous. Also, Jill was later shot as well. Wouldn't Donnie have expressed some concern for his other sister and his parents too if he knew some crazy gunman intruder was running about?

I agree with TheCars on this one. Donnie was involved in my opinion and he more than likely had accomplices.

Another thought: Could the girls' 50k college fun have been a possible motive for wanting them out of the way?
WishfulDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:11 AM   #62
Necco

I always wondered if they were positive it was a medical accident that killed Julie. Seems an easy way to kill a witness.
Necco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:04 AM   #63
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishfulDreamer
Another thought: Could the girls' 50k college fun have been a possible motive for wanting them out of the way?
That's a good theory. I've always thought Donnie's main two motives were greed (some sort of life insurance policy payoff most likely) and jealousy over the attention his twin sisters got from his dad and step-mom.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:50 PM   #64
DALLASTEXAN!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
That's a good theory. I've always thought Donnie's main two motives were greed (some sort of life insurance policy payoff most likely) and jealousy over the attention his twin sisters got from his dad and step-mom.
I agree with you there 100% and feel you are on the right track with the motive. We may never know the motive because it cannot be proven since he never confessed, but to commit such an action I think it has to be all of the above like you mentioned. someone else brought up a sexual assault gone wrong as a possibility, no evidence what so ever adds up to that theory.

My guess is that he must have had a strong passion for wanting his sisters out of the picture which is why he shot them and set the fire to try to cover the shootings. I don't know that he ever intended to shoot his dad and step mom because he probably could have if he really wanted to. At the very least we can assume that he was ok with the fact that they all could have died in the fire.

Based on the evidence, my theory is that he just wanted his sisters dead(for whatever reason because he only shot them) and thought that a fire would mask their murders. He almost succeeded, the fire was so intense and he did such a great job going into firefighting mode that in spite of his sister getting out no one knew that a shooting even took place until she went to the hospital. (the event speaks for itself there based on the way it unfolded)

some of us have said he is dumb and is lucky. I think that is the case, but the evidence shows that he was calculated in his approach and even returned to the crime scene after the fact.

Last edited by DALLASTEXAN!!; 11-25-2012 at 05:21 PM.
DALLASTEXAN!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:13 PM   #65
DALLASTEXAN!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishfulDreamer
One of the silliest parts about this case is that the defense claims that Donnie was sleeping on the couch while Julie was shot and the reenactment even shows Donnie yelling, "Hey!", seeing the gunman and shooting, then helping his sister outside.
1) Julie herself said that she had wandered outside after being shot
2) Why would Donnie not have told his parents about the shooting he supposedly witnessed and a gunman while running back and forth with fire extinguishers with them?
3) Let's say Julie's memory was hazy about going out of the house by herself. If Donnie did help her out as he claimed, then he did it BEFORE the house was up in flames or as much on fire. Yet never said a peep to his parents about Julie being hurt or a gunman running around the property while "helping" his parents put out the fire.
4) The whole idea that a gunman would shoot your sister who wandered into the hall and not the guy sleeping on the couch who very clearly saw the gunman is positively ludicrous. Also, Jill was later shot as well. Wouldn't Donnie have expressed some concern for his other sister and his parents too if he knew some crazy gunman intruder was running about?

I agree with TheCars on this one. Donnie was involved in my opinion and he more than likely had accomplices.

those are some great points. you would think if the events happened as he claims that at some point one of the first reactions would have been to process the shootings. all he did was go into firefighting mode as if he didn't even know about a shooting. Why did he do that? Because he was hoping that no one would find out about a shooting. If he mentioned a shooting it would have been pointing the finger at himself.

If he were a victim and knew that people were being shot he would have acted in a completely different manner. His instincts would not have been to fight the fire, but to protect himself against the shooter and make it known to everyone at that moment that there was a shooter to alert them.
DALLASTEXAN!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 01:56 PM   #66
TheResearcher
Occasional Poster

I tend to like taking the devil's advocate position, but in this case, Donnie is guilty. The single fact of taking the gun out of the car in the middle of the blaze convinced me.
TheResearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 02:17 PM   #67
justins5256

Just saw this again recently. Thought he was guilty.
justins5256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 02:27 PM   #68
SPD Yellow
Forum Regular

I really wonder what kind of defense attorney Donnie had. I mean, the guy or gal must be the type who can sell a muzzle to a dog, because OJ has a better chance of being innocent than Donnie.
SPD Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 03:26 PM   #69
zack007attack
Forum Regular

I feel somewhat compelled to give Donny the benefit of the doubt. Remember the Texas teenager spree killers (Davy Lynn Crocket and William Glen Henry)? Their main MO, or modus operandi, included using weapons and tools they stole from their victims. The first witnesses who saw them before their spree (Ken Davis and Tom Matthews) said they just looked like teenagers getting into mischief, so they obviously didn't appear to be carrying any weapons on them.

They decapitated Deana Woodard with tools which they probably found in her garage and took her two guns and car with them for their next two victims. Then they took the Morrisons' truck and ditched Deana's car and guns along the way to their fourth and final victim.

Here's what I think could have happened, in case Donny wasn't the killer. Two night prowlers out at night saw Donny's shotgun either out on the porch or in his car (and the buckets of gasoline), saw it as a crime of opportunity, then set the house on fire and killed Jill and Julie.

I'm not saying Donny is not guilty, but there is the possibility.
zack007attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 11:24 PM   #70
Mystery Man
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by zack007attack
I feel somewhat compelled to give Donny the benefit of the doubt. Remember the Texas teenager spree killers (Davy Lynn Crocket and William Glen Henry)? Their main MO, or modus operandi, included using weapons and tools they stole from their victims. The first witnesses who saw them before their spree (Ken Davis and Tom Matthews) said they just looked like teenagers getting into mischief, so they obviously didn't appear to be carrying any weapons on them.

They decapitated Deana Woodard with tools which they probably found in her garage and took her two guns and car with them for their next two victims. Then they took the Morrisons' truck and ditched Deana's car and guns along the way to their fourth and final victim.

Here's what I think could have happened, in case Donny wasn't the killer. Two night prowlers out at night saw Donny's shotgun either out on the porch or in his car (and the buckets of gasoline), saw it as a crime of opportunity, then set the house on fire and killed Jill and Julie.

This is an interesting angle, for sure. I don't think it's likely, but I can't entirely rule it out. I still think he's guilty (with at least an accomplice), but I could totally see new evidence popping up suggesting something like the Davy Lynn Crocket case.
Mystery Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 02:01 PM   #71
WishfulDreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zack007attack

That's an interesting theory, however there are two things that still bother me about this scenario:

1) Why not shoot Donnie, who was right there on the couch?
2) Why would Donnie not tell his mother and stepfather about the shooting while running back and forth between the house and area with fire extinguishers?

These two points really make me doubt him. If he was innocent, he would be worried about the shooters returning and hurting them, finishing off Julie, and finding and shooting Jill. Also, in his scenario, the shooters ran off after shooting Julie. But then after he helped Julie outside, they just had to go back into the house to shoot Jill? And why was he standing at the door when his mother came out of the bedroom screaming at someone to get out of there? Why did he go back in after allegedly helping Julie out? Why did he just leave her out there and not tell his parents, "Oh, by the way Julie was shot and some maniac has a gun?"

His story is completely full of holes. I think Julie got herself out of the house that night, just as she said. Donnie probably never counted on her being able to get out, never mind surviving the whole ordeal (at least for a time). I think he's guilty as sin. If he didn't act alone, he had accomplices.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:56 PM   #72
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

The stepmother saw Donnie screaming at someone to "get out of here" shortly after waking up. That tells me that Donnie did not act alone, and that was him yelling at his accomplices to get out of the area since the plan had fallen through.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 10:25 PM   #73
WishfulDreamer

Just rewatched this one. While the home was ablaze, Donnie told his mom and dad that he hadn't seen Jill, Julie, or ANYONE. Only to of course later claim he saw the "random gunman" shoot Julie and help her outside before the fire started.

Guilty. Seriously, how the hell did he get acquitted?

Last edited by WishfulDreamer; 02-01-2015 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:43 PM   #74
WishfulDreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
The stepmother saw Donnie screaming at someone to "get out of here" shortly after waking up. That tells me that Donnie did not act alone, and that was him yelling at his accomplices to get out of the area since the plan had fallen through.
I think this is very likely. I will never buy that this was two random intruders who found the gun outside and used the family's gas cans. Nope. It's more probable that Donnie knowingly supplied the gun/gas.

I think if Julie hadn't died in the hospital, Donnie would probably have been convicted. She saw his face in the flash and her account completely differed from his, but these things couldn't be told to the jury because she wasn't there to be cross-examined.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:35 AM   #75
Tap Dancer
Forum Regular

Unsolved Mysteries has the dates wrong on their website: Jill and Julie Hansen

Quote:
For Betty and Hans, life was close to perfect, until the night of November 14, 1986.
Quote:
On December 19, 1987, Julie suddenly died in a freak medical accident.
They're saying Julie died 13 months later. I checked a few other websites and they all say she died on December 19, 1986, one month after she was shot. Is there a way to ask them to correct the mistake? Also, I cast another "guilty" vote!
Tap Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote