Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Lifetime Site / Lifetime Schedule / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 17, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: The Conners Second Season Looking Likely; Apple to Produce New Peanuts Content
Fri-Yay: Where Will The Good Place Go Next?; Everything's Gonna Be Okay at Freeform
ABC Mid-Season 2019 Schedule; Amy Sedaris Laffer Returns Feb. 19 on truTV
ABC Picks Up Comedy Starring Lake Bell, Dax Shepard; EPIX Dark Comedy Gets 3rd Season
Lifetime Brings in the Stars for Winter Movies; Celebs Line Up for CBS All Access' Twilight Zone
HBO Comedy Crashing Returns for Season 3; Nick Sitcom Starts Jan. 5

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection Alice - The Complete Eighth Season Step by Step - The Complete Third Season

10/02 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 6th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 7th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 8th Season
10/02 - Ghosted - The Complete First Season
10/02 - The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One / Volume Two
10/02 - Police Squad! - TV and Movie Collection
10/02 - Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection
10/16 - Community - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/23 - Alice - The Complete Eighth Season
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Two
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Three
10/31 - The Bad News Bears - The Complete Series - All 26 Episodes
11/01 - Episodes - Season 5
11/05 - Robin Williams - Comic Genius (includes Mork & Mindy)
11/06 - American Dad! - Volume 13
11/16 - Man with a Plan - Season One
11/20 - Step by Step - The Complete Third Season
11/27 - What I Like About You - The Complete Third Season
12/04 - Family Guy - Season Sixteen
12/04 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Sixth Season
12/18 - Our Cartoon President - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-16-2013, 08:44 AM   #61
DarkDante

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182
I agree with the sentiments about the basements scenes being creepy. Towards the end of the segment, there was one where the actor playing Kurt was lying in the bed, tossing and turning and the light bulb was rocking back and forth. Also, in the scene where Kurt's dad goes down in the basement, I was so bracing myself for somebody to come up from behind and whack him on the head.

I still can't dismiss the jacket story though. It was dark when this happened, so if Samuel really did find that Kurt was gone when he came back down with the jacket, he probably didn't want to try and find him in the dark. He also probably figured the situation wasn't that serious at that point -- it as just another kid who got drunk. As I said, people come and go from parties all the time. It's not like Kurt getting drunk would have garnered that much attention.

There are just too many unknowns in this case for me to be comfortable in solely blaming the people at the party. The Crazy from Detroit, the gangbangers, and whoever killed Eugene Kvet -- if his death was homicide.

I don't think it can even be definitively proved that anyone at the party committed a crime in relation to Kurt. Perhaps he picked up the alcohol beforehand. I'm doubting anyone forced him to drink.
Well first off we don't know if anyone killed Eugene Kvet. Eugene Kvet could've very plausibly fallen to his death in the ravine that day which is what I believe was the theory advanced by the local authorities at the time. Although, given the seemingly slipshod job they did on the Sova case I'd be at least somewhat wary of any official explanation on a case emanating from those quarters.

I never thought anyone "forced" Kurt to drink at the party. To me there are two plausible explanations regarding the overdose theory at the party and the first is that Kurt brought his own bottle of alcohol to the party and had some type of violent reaction to whatever he was drinking and overdosed.

The second theory is similar to what was brought up in the Jeremy Bright case where it was alleged that Jeremy was given a beer laced with some type of drug that may have brought about his death.

Now the one thing that sticks out to me in every report that has come back to us about Newburgh Heights at the time when Kurt Sova died was that it was not exactly an ideal place to live. I've read reports of a rampant drug scene, gang activity and a lot of different things that could lead up to Kurt being present at this party amongst a lot of people who weren't necessarily of good character to begin with.

I think it's very probable that Kurt being allegedly younger than many of the other people at the party, could have been singled out for a prank of sorts where he was slipped some type of laced drink to see how he would react to it and his reaction was quite frankly to fall dead in front of his fellow party goers.

Regardless of which theory I happen to subscribe to at the moment, just trying to put myself in the shoes of the people who were at this party with Kurt where he allegedly overdosed. It must have been a completely horrifying sight and I could've easily seen how seeing this boy who was seemingly healthy only moments earlier just fall into a comatose like state could've resulted in some snap and poor judgments on behalf of the people at that party not to summon help for Sova and instead try to handle the situation themselves.

I would not be surprised at all if the situation just snowballed on them. I think these people who were with Kurt that night just got way in over their heads in how they chose to handle the situation. Their motives for handling the situation the way I believe they did as I mentioned comes down to whether you subscribe to the fact that the alleged overdose was something facilitated by someone or a group of people at the party or not. Regardless though I believe they put him in that basement shortly after he passed out and I believe that he eventually died in that basement and his body then moved perhaps only a short while before Ken Sova arrived at the duplex to search for his son.

In fact it's also possible that Ken Sova was summoned to the duplex as a means of a diversionary tactic in order to give those responsible for Kurt Sova's death time to dispose of his body in the ravine.
DarkDante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:29 PM   #62
dynoguy88

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDante
In fact it's also possible that Ken Sova was summoned to the duplex as a means of a diversionary tactic in order to give those responsible for Kurt Sova's death time to dispose of his body in the ravine.
Not according to the Angeline Reddicks sighting. Her claim was that she saw two boys carrying an unconscious third boy with no shoe into the alley leading into the ravine during the afternoon. Susan's phone call to the Sova's claiming that Kurt might be sleeping in her basement took place at 3:00 in the morning, just several hours before Kurt's body was discovered. I'm pretty sure the segment said Kurt's father went to the duplex right away. So the times wouldn't match up.

Susan was lying as usual, trying to cover her tracks. And why she chose 3:00 in the morning to call the Sovas is beyond me. But the Reddicks sighting doesn't match up time wise to try and throw the Sovas off track, unless Kurt's body was hidden somewhere else in the house when his father arrived to inspect the basement.

If anything, it would have made much more sense to dump the body in the ravine during early morning hours where you're less likely to be seen. But they chose to do it in the middle of the afternoon and they WERE spotted.
dynoguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:28 AM   #63
wiseguy182

well I seem to be in the minority in that I'm not 100% certain that somebody in the party is responsible for Kurt's death. So I pose this question: How did the Crazy from Detroit know 1) that Kurt would be found, 2) that he would be dead, 3) that he would be found 2 days from that time, 4) that nobody would know how he died? " That is simply far too much information for me to believed that he wasn't involved. Period. I really can't fathom how the police dismissed him as "just a crazy from Detroit."

Perhaps the most suspicious thing to me about the Crazy from Detroit was that he told the record store clerk to remove Kurt's posters. That just screams "guilty" to me. Now the segment didn't specifically state that the crazy from Detroit wasn't in attendance at the party, but I have to figure that if he was they would have mentioned it. So I can conclude that he wasn't at the party, or if he was, wasn't there for very long.

I had thought about the 3 a.m. call as a diversionary tactic, but I'm not sure how likely that is.
wiseguy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:25 AM   #64
WishfulDreamer

Quote:
well I seem to be in the minority in that I'm not 100% certain that somebody in the party is responsible for Kurt's death. So I pose this question: How did the Crazy from Detroit know 1) that Kurt would be found, 2) that he would be dead, 3) that he would be found 2 days from that time, 4) that nobody would know how he died? " That is simply far too much information for me to believed that he wasn't involved. Period. I really can't fathom how the police dismissed him as "just a crazy from Detroit."

Perhaps the most suspicious thing to me about the Crazy from Detroit was that he told the record store clerk to remove Kurt's posters. That just screams "guilty" to me. Now the segment didn't specifically state that the crazy from Detroit wasn't in attendance at the party, but I have to figure that if he was they would have mentioned it. So I can conclude that he wasn't at the party, or if he was, wasn't there for very long.

I had thought about the 3 a.m. call as a diversionary tactic, but I'm not sure how likely that is.

While I've always found the accident at the party theory likely, this is not a bad theory at all. The "Crazy from Detroit" shouldn't have had any knowledge about finding Kurt dead in two days with no sign of the cause of death, and he shouldn't have been at the party. (I can't imagine a weird transient figure would be invited). If he was involved, this means that Kurt may really have been left on the fence by his friend- and that the "Crazy" did him harm. I guess the biggest mystery is what caused Kurt to actually die and how the transient could have known that this would remain a mystery.

On a side note, I think a second opinion should have been brought in. Perhaps Cyril Wecht or another ME could have discovered another cause. I'm not trying to bash the ME who worked on this case, but finding no cause leads me to feel that a second opinion is required.
WishfulDreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:09 AM   #65
DarkDante

The only thing that ever made me think that the "crazy from Detroit" was involved in Kurt Sova's death was the fact that it was mentioned in the article that he enjoyed removing shoes off dead bodies. In my opinion if there is anything that is not a coincidence regarding Kurt's death and the comments from the "crazy from Detroit", it would be that.

The article also painted the guy as a bit of a screwball transient who would make claims about having access to bodies flown into local airports. With comments like this (perhaps indicating mental illness) I have a lot of trouble putting any weight behind any of the comments made by this individual. It could've been the case of a mentally ill person rambling on and actually hitting the target on a few of the issues as they related to Kurt's death.

I've also considered the possibility that perhaps this individual may have received some information about Kurt second hand from someone at the party or involved in the local drug scene. But admittedly that would be a bit of a stretch.

I still think he was just rambling.
DarkDante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:16 AM   #66
Steve W.
Forum Regular

"Perhaps he picked up the alcohol beforehand. I'm doubting anyone forced him to drink."

According to the newspaper article, he did have someone older buy him Everclear the day of the party, so unless he drank it all before he got to the party (which I doubt, since he probably wouldn't have even made it there had he done that), he had it with him and was drinking it at the duplex.
Steve W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:09 AM   #67
JenniferS.
Forum Regular

Another case like the Jeremy Bright case were you think some kid would start talking. You think some one from the party would had said something to some one. Wow!
JenniferS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:30 PM   #68
nikkspence
Nikki spence
Frequent Poster

I find this case a strange and complex one with the added mystery of a second death in similar circumstances. I do agree with the fact that kurt may have had his drink laces as a practical joke and the person who done this obviously didn't mean kurt any serious harm. IMO he had a bad reaction to the drug and they attempted to nurse him in the basement but he sadly died and his body was dumped. The people at the part cruelly did the thing and should infact be punished, perhaps charged with manslaughter but sadly the evidence is not there and no one is likely to admit spiking his drink.
I find it strange however I read this on another thread that kurt was only tested for 4 different types of drugs, surely a teen death like that were they know he has been to a party they would have tested for all known substances. It's seems bizzar that they would only test 4?? I do agree that the parents should have gotten another ME for a second opinion.

Was the crazy from Detroit at the party ?
I do think is possible that a party goer may have talked to him if now. Possibility that he was visiting with a companion who attended the party?

We will probably never find the truth of this story unless there is a death bed confession from a party goer.
nikkspence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:47 PM   #69
flytrapp
Forum Regular

I don't have anything to add that hasn't already been said....although I'm completely amazed that after all these years no one has spilled the beans about anything. I grew up in a small town (6000 people) and eventually everything surfaced at some point....affairs, financial issues, abusive spouses, heavy drinkers....all of it eventually floated around once the heat of it and all had calmed down. Soooo, this makes me wonder, if Kurt's death was a practical joke or accident, after all this time, why has nothing been said or circulated? (or maybe it has?) It almost makes me think that the continued silence is because something super BAD happened, or scary people were involved, and therefore to this day, people are still afraid to talk.
flytrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:19 AM   #70
dynoguy88

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytrapp
I don't have anything to add that hasn't already been said....although I'm completely amazed that after all these years no one has spilled the beans about anything. I grew up in a small town (6000 people) and eventually everything surfaced at some point....affairs, financial issues, abusive spouses, heavy drinkers....all of it eventually floated around once the heat of it and all had calmed down. Soooo, this makes me wonder, if Kurt's death was a practical joke or accident, after all this time, why has nothing been said or circulated? (or maybe it has?) It almost makes me think that the continued silence is because something super BAD happened, or scary people were involved, and therefore to this day, people are still afraid to talk.
Just my opinion but I feel that there was no scary people involved. I think it was a tragic accident and Susan did not want be tied to a kid who died accidentally in her house, so she had some friends dump the body, played dumb when the Sovas came calling and that was that. The incompetence of the police's investigation allowed for nothing more to happen after that.

The only person who can answer all the questions we've wondered about, other than a few partygoers, is Susan. And she took it upon herself to keep quiet and not give Ken and Dorothy any type of closure all those years leading up to their deaths. That's something she has to live with now.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:01 PM   #71
liebchen77
Occasional Poster

Is it possible that Kurt Sova died of exposure? He was last seen outside and drunk, leaning on a fence at that party--then he was gone.

Intoxicated people can walk large distances, so perhaps Kurt started walking and ended up where he was found and died from hypothermia.

I looked up the temperature for that night: Friday, October 23, 1981--the minimum temp was 34 degrees.

The cold temps could also account for slowing the process of decomp--maybe he really wasn't 5 days before he died.
liebchen77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 01:14 AM   #72
wiseguy182

Quote:
Originally Posted by liebchen77
Is it possible that Kurt Sova died of exposure? He was last seen outside and drunk, leaning on a fence at that party--then he was gone.

Intoxicated people can walk large distances, so perhaps Kurt started walking and ended up where he was found and died from hypothermia.

I looked up the temperature for that night: Friday, October 23, 1981--the minimum temp was 34 degrees.

The cold temps could also account for slowing the process of decomp--maybe he really wasn't 5 days before he died.
I had brought up the possibility that Kurt wandered off and didn't die at the party, although I find your added hypothermia component very interesting. I should add he was found without his shirt on, so that could very well tie in to the hypothermia angle. Most people on here think the partygoers are responsible. I've never been completely sold on that myself.

I don't mean to get all cocytus up in here, but being that he was found without his shirt and one of his shoes, does anyone think there is a sliver of possibility of a gay sex angle here?
wiseguy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 03:46 PM   #73
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
I had brought up the possibility that Kurt wandered off and didn't die at the party, although I find your added hypothermia component very interesting. I should add he was found without his shirt on, so that could very well tie in to the hypothermia angle. Most people on here think the partygoers are responsible. I've never been completely sold on that myself.
I think the hypothermia angle is interesting, especially in light of the fact that Kurt was very slender and probably didn't have a great amount of body fat to insulate his body from the cold. Drinking alcohol in cold weather also helps lower body temperature (contrary to popular belief that it warms you up), as blood vessels dilate and allow more blood to rush to the skin. The heat from that blood underneath the surface of the skin is then transferred to the cold air outside the body, gradually cooling the body's internal temperature.

That Kurt wandered off drunkenly and succumbed to the environment makes sense in the context of his friend's testimony that he left Kurt on the fence outside the duplex, went to retrieve his jacket, and found Kurt nowhere in sight when he returned. Perhaps it's possible that he was found quite near the duplex--maybe in the proverbial bushes, so to speak--and was found sometime later by occupants of, or visitors to Susan's home. Those people then staged the scene in the ravine before Kurt could be discovered as he was.

Quote:
I don't mean to get all cocytus up in here, but being that he was found without his shirt and one of his shoes, does anyone think there is a sliver of possibility of a gay sex angle here?
at getting all cocytus up in here.

Personally I don't really think so myself. Even if there was such an angle, I don't readily see how in the context of this case a sexual encounter could have factored per se in Kurt's death.

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:52 PM   #74
liebchen77
Occasional Poster

A thought just occurred to me--Kurt could have frozen to death in that basement--it wouldn't be noticeably warmer than outside--I grew up in PA & our basement was freezing in winter!

That would account for the stories people told of him in the basement. The home owner could have had him carried out to where he was found.

I really wish the parents would have gotten a second autopsy done--the pathologist basically said that he had no idea how he died. So frustrating!
liebchen77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:30 PM   #75
dynoguy88

This did not happen in winter. It happened in late fall.

According to history sites online, the weather for Newburgh Heights on October 28, 1981 (the day Kurt went to the party) stayed between 52 and 56 degrees all day. There was no snow and winds shuffled between 9 and 11 mph. However, nothing lists the temperature for when after the sun went down. I don't know how cold the weather has to be for someone to die of hypothermia, but I think this is cutting it close. It's not like this happened in the dead of winter.