Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Lifetime Site / Lifetime Schedule / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Where Will The Good Place Go Next?; Everything's Gonna Be Okay at Freeform
ABC Mid-Season 2019 Schedule; Amy Sedaris Laffer Returns Feb. 19 on truTV
ABC Picks Up Comedy Starring Lake Bell, Dax Shepard; EPIX Dark Comedy Gets 3rd Season
Lifetime Brings in the Stars for Winter Movies; Celebs Line Up for CBS All Access' Twilight Zone
HBO Comedy Crashing Returns for Season 3; Nick Sitcom Starts Jan. 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 10, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Netflix Pays $100 Million for Another Year of Friends; Reboots of Night Gallery and New York Undercover

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection Alice - The Complete Eighth Season Step by Step - The Complete Third Season

10/02 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 6th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 7th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 8th Season
10/02 - Ghosted - The Complete First Season
10/02 - The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One / Volume Two
10/02 - Police Squad! - TV and Movie Collection
10/02 - Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection
10/16 - Community - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/23 - Alice - The Complete Eighth Season
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Two
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Three
10/31 - The Bad News Bears - The Complete Series - All 26 Episodes
11/01 - Episodes - Season 5
11/05 - Robin Williams - Comic Genius (includes Mork & Mindy)
11/06 - American Dad! - Volume 13
11/16 - Man with a Plan - Season One
11/20 - Step by Step - The Complete Third Season
11/27 - What I Like About You - The Complete Third Season
12/04 - Family Guy - Season Sixteen
12/04 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Sixth Season
12/18 - Our Cartoon President - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 11-28-2007, 04:18 PM   #1
joshypiano
Stack-a-holic
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to joshypiano Send a message via MSN to joshypiano Send a message via Yahoo to joshypiano
Default LaDonna Morrow's mom Pat Farmer kidnaps Jared

I was curious if anyone had some more specific info on this case:

" Missing Persons: Pat Farmer who lived in Hobbs, New Mexico, reportedly kidnapped her 4 year old grandson, Jared while she was babysitting him for his mother Ladonna Morrow. Apparently Farmer was not pleased that her daughter was getting a divorce and concocted a bizarre scheme that included exposing Jared to satanism and allegations of sexual abuse. "

The only update I could find was from a poster in this forum stating Jared had been re-united with his mother. Does anyone know how much time passed before they were re-united? Also was Pat Farmer ever charged or prosecuted. I can't seem to find any info. I emailed several sources in Hobbs N.M. but they don't seem to have any information oddly enough.
joshypiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:30 PM   #2
Todd Mueller
Keepin' it real. . .

I remember seeing the update but I honestly can't remember what became of Pat. I think it was a few years but in the update Jared still looked like a little kid.

Pat should rot for what she did to LaDonna. Making up stuff that she was abusing him or a Satan worshiper is beyond evil and beyond bizarre. How could you go so far to frame your own daughter like that? That woman is seriously messed up. I hope she did do time.
Todd Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 02:47 PM   #3
synthisislab
Forum Regular

Yes, I would also be interested in wondering what happened to Pat Farmer. In the UM update, they only focused on Jared being reunited with his mother and father and didn't say what happened to the Satanic Grandma. She definitely deserved some hard prison time for what she did, that's for sure. I bet she got a slap on the wrist though. That old manipulative sad sack is probably dead by now.
synthisislab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:55 PM   #4
andreaturtle
Occasional Poster

Wasn't this story made into a Lifetime movie? Dang, I can't think of the name.
Good movie, though.
andreaturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 06:30 AM   #5
crystaldawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaturtle
Wasn't this story made into a Lifetime movie? Dang, I can't think of the name.
Good movie, though.
"A Kidnapping In The Family". It starred Tracy Gold and says on IMDb it was fact based.
crystaldawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 06:30 PM   #6
andreaturtle
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystaldawn
"A Kidnapping In The Family". It starred Tracy Gold and says on IMDb it was fact based.

Yessss!! I should have known the master herself would know.
andreaturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 12:43 AM   #7
supersally1974
Frequent Poster

Note that a user comment has dismissed the MOW because "it is hard to believe it was based on truth, and even more difficult to develop empathy for Tracey Gold's character, and the Kate Jackson character, as evil Mom accusing her daughter of satanic rituals is way too over the top to be believable."

Ah, the irony.
On January 10, 2008, Maila Nurmi, better known as the legendary 1950’s Los Angeles B-movie horror hostess “Vampira”, passed away in her sleep at the age of 86. Said to be the inspiration for the Morticia Addams character in “The Addams Family”, Vampira was the original “glamour ghoul” and the iconic star of Ed Wood’s “Plan 9 from Outer Space”.
supersally1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 04:51 PM   #8
charmedsignora
Frequent Poster

I want to know what was running through Pat Farmer's head as she came up with a scheme like this.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:08 AM   #9
mphs95
Remember me?
Forum Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to mphs95

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedsignora
I want to know what was running through Pat Farmer's head as she came up with a scheme like this.
I got the impression while watching this segment that Pat Farmer was a controlling sort who felt it was her way or no way. LaDonna rebelling and doing her thing went against her sensibilities and ticked her off. Getting Jared was her way of raising a child "right" and to get back at her daughter. That's my opinion at least.
mphs95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:06 PM   #10
crochetbuff
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphs95
I got the impression while watching this segment that Pat Farmer was a controlling sort who felt it was her way or no way. LaDonna rebelling and doing her thing went against her sensibilities and ticked her off. Getting Jared was her way of raising a child "right" and to get back at her daughter. That's my opinion at least.
Eerily like the Baskin Case, and unfortunately many custody cases.
crochetbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:24 PM   #11
Briony Coote
Forum Regular

I saw an update that Jared was reunited with his mother within a few weeks. Unlike the poor Baskins, who are still waiting for a resolution.

The movie "A Kidnapping in the Family" was a composite based on actual cases. Well, that's what it said.

I am very pleased that the judge in this case acted more wisely than Judge Corlew did in the Baskin case. He had the brains to put the child in custody of the court while the charges were being investigated. Something which I believe Judge Corlew should have done.

Last edited by Briony Coote; 01-29-2009 at 08:51 PM.
Briony Coote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:29 PM   #12
Briony Coote
Forum Regular

I read in the newspaper years ago about another nutty grandmother who abducted her grandchild. In consideration of her great age, (around 80, I think) the judge sentenced her to sew a quilt for charity in lieu of a prison sentence.

I don't think Pat Farmer would have been that lucky. Strange we can find no information on Pat's fate. Did she serve a prison sentence, or did fate intervene and she, say, died before she could be brought to trial?

Last edited by Briony Coote; 09-23-2008 at 08:23 PM.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:16 AM   #13
Briony Coote
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphs95
That's not all. Pat Farmer was outraged at her daughter's divorce (why I don't know) and that was where the trouble started. LaDonna said her relationship with her mother was always "stormy" (I sure would like to know more about what she means by "stormy"). Pat's opposition to the divorce marked the point of no return.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:21 AM   #14
Briony Coote
Forum Regular

Default Finally! Details on what happened to Pat Farmer!

Okay, I got it! This is what happened to Pat Farmer! I found it over at www.akidnappinginthefamilymovie.blogspot.com , and here it is, copied and pasted for your perusal here!

5-YEAR-OLD REUNITED WITH MOM FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 19 MONTHS
By Karen Owen, staff writer
Published: Sunday, Aug. 23, 1992 12:00 a.m. MDT

Five-year-old Jared Lee Peters spoke to his mother for the first time in 19 months early Saturday morning. He told her he had looked for her everywhere he went and he knew his grandmother had taken him away.

Jared's grandmother, Patricia Farmer, 60, was arrested Saturday in Salt Lake City by FBI agents and Salt Lake County deputy sheriffs. A viewer had recognized Jared on the television show "Unsolved Mysteries" and notified authorities.The boy was taken from New Mexico in December 1990, said Lt. Les Dudley of the Lea County Sheriff's Department in New Mexico. The reunion with his mother, Ladonna Morrow of Lovington, N.M., occurred Saturday after officers arrested Farmer, who is Morrow's mother.

Dudley told the Deseret News that Farmer failed to return Jared from a court-appointed visit 19 months ago because she believed her daughter was abusing the boy and was involved in satanic worship.

Before the child was taken, New Mexico authorities conducted an investigation that included meetings with the boy and home visits. They found nothing to make them think the child was abused, Dudley said.

"However, until the day she dies, Patricia will think she did the right thing," he added. Since that time the story has been broadcast on "Unsolved Mysteries" twice and on "The Maury Povich Show."

The first time "Unsolved Mysteries" aired it, Farmer must have seen the promo the night before, Dudley said. People in Louisiana recognized Farmer and her grandson the night the show ran in its entirety, but by then Farmer had picked up and moved. New Mexico authorities believe she has lived in Mississippi, Texas, Utah and maybe two other states since that time, Dudley said.

A few months after Jared was reported missing, Farmer met up with another daughter, who was 16 and listed as a runaway, and the girl's boyfriend. They all lived together in some of the locations, Dudley said. But in the Salt Lake area the two youths lived with Jared in Kearns and the grandmother lived on the other side of the valley, Dudley said.

Farmer's younger daughter refused to give details about the incident. She said she and her mother have been living in Salt Lake City since December 1991. "My mother is not a crazy lady - she had good reasons for what she did. I just don't want to say anything that could end up hurting her."

The boy was in good condition Saturday when FBI agents and deputy sheriffs arrested Farmer.
Dudley said New Mexico officials are waiting to see if Farmer fights extradition before they take further action. She is being held in the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of custodial interference and kidnapping charges.

Update

Patricia Joan Farmer was released from Federal Prison on 05-03-1991.

On the Lifetime Movie site for this movie Joan's other daughter says the following:

"this is amanda the real daughter that was with my mother and nephew. My sister played by tracy gold, real name ladonna is a liar, the movie was a lie, if you want the real story give me a call at 505-391-6824 but it will cost you!! i was the one who helped my mother take my nephew.!! also my e-mail address is derrickamandax1@netzero.com"
Posted by Traciy Curry-Reyes at 10:12 AM 0 comments

If anyone wishes to follow Amanda up on her offer, please let us know what she says, if anything. That's assuming the offer is genuine and not a hoax.

Last edited by Briony Coote; 01-29-2009 at 02:39 AM.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:25 AM   #15
crystaldawn

Thanks for posting that! Wow, I had no idea LaDonna's daughter helped her abduct Jared. Maybe she should have gotten some jail time too.
crystaldawn is offline   Reply With Quote