Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Lifetime Site / Lifetime Schedule / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

HBO Comedy Crashing Returns for Season 3; Nick Sitcom Starts Jan. 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 10, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Netflix Pays $100 Million for Another Year of Friends; Reboots of Night Gallery and New York Undercover
Fri-Yay: The Disappearing Art of the Holiday Episode; The Simpsons Turns 30 Years Old with Specials on Fox and FXX
Loudermilk Returns for Season 3 on Audience Network; Syfy's 23rd Annual Twilight Zone New Year's Eve Marathon
The Good Place Gets 4th Season; Nick's Henry Danger Turns 100
The Office Starts Jan. 1 on COZI TV; The Good Place Star to Host TBS Game Show

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection Alice - The Complete Eighth Season Step by Step - The Complete Third Season

10/02 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 6th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 7th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 8th Season
10/02 - Ghosted - The Complete First Season
10/02 - The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One / Volume Two
10/02 - Police Squad! - TV and Movie Collection
10/02 - Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection
10/16 - Community - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/23 - Alice - The Complete Eighth Season
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Two
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Three
10/31 - The Bad News Bears - The Complete Series - All 26 Episodes
11/01 - Episodes - Season 5
11/05 - Robin Williams - Comic Genius (includes Mork & Mindy)
11/06 - American Dad! - Volume 13
11/16 - Man with a Plan - Season One
11/20 - Step by Step - The Complete Third Season
11/27 - What I Like About You - The Complete Third Season
12/04 - Family Guy - Season Sixteen
12/04 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Sixth Season
12/18 - Our Cartoon President - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-19-2007, 08:31 PM   #1
justins5256

Default Did David Stone make it out of the desert?

I know this case is typically dismissed as a probable accidental death due to exposure to the elements. BUT, the bloodhounds followed Stone's scent to the highway where it then disappeared. Could Stone have been picked up and gone on to continue his search for "The Beast" elsewhere?

Also, it was mentioned that Stone was a follower of New Age and that he was looking for "The Beast" - the concentration of negativity within a person's soul.
I was curious about New Age religion in general. Is this at all like "The Beast" that Jehovah's Witnesses believe in?
justins5256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 08:36 PM   #2
LooksLikeCRicci
Likes to live in a clean house

Send a message via AIM to LooksLikeCRicci Send a message via Yahoo to LooksLikeCRicci

I'm not sure, Justin. I'm not a Jehovah's Witness. However, I tend to believe that David Stone didn't make it out of the desert. As we've found in many cases where people wander off into the prairies/woods, they are usually found not far from where they were last seen.

There have been a couple cases regarding folks disappearing in the desert. Isn't David the one who was making the rock formations and wrote some crazy stuff on the back of a dollar bill? Or am I mixing him up with Justin Bergwinkel?
LooksLikeCRicci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 09:26 PM   #3
mozartpc27
Vigilante Logician
Forum Regular

Weren't Stone's remains eventually found out in the desert some time later? Maybe I am remembering another case.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:42 PM   #4
justins5256

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozartpc27
Weren't Stone's remains eventually found out in the desert some time later? Maybe I am remembering another case.
You may be thinking of Don Kemp or Dan Wilson. I'm pretty sure Stone's remains were not found.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:48 PM   #5
DarkDante

^ Nope I believe they were, Stack updated the segment after it aired and confirmed that Stone was indeed dead. This was not the Daniel Wilson update which was just the standard "aqua screen text" update but an actual update with Stack speaking about the case and confirming Stone's remains were located.
DarkDante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 11:55 PM   #6
phillipscurve
Frequent Poster

Iīve just watched this case on CDīs volume 2, and yes youīre right DarkDante, Robert Stack updated the segment: in February 1992, 2 hunters found the remains of David Stone near Lordsburg, Hidalgo County, New Mexico. RS also mentioned that an autopsy was unable to determine the cause or exact time of death.

In his path David left some "bizarre" clues like pyramids made of small rocks(in one of them he left his Rolex watch and two quarters). Also, apparently, he wrote, in sand, the so called Fibonacci sequence, a sequence that after two starting values, each number is the sum of the two preceding numbers: 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, etc. David Stone stopped with the number after 13, but, instead of 21(13+8), he wrote 18. For his father this was unexplainable, and maybe, Mr. Stone believed, it could be some kind of S.O.S signal or a clue(his car was found at mile marker 18th. on U.S. Route 80, and during his senior year in college Davidīs football jersey number was 18).

In my so called "bookshelf" collection I have, an older version of the case without the update. In this version Robert Stack only mentions that Davidīs parents believe that he is still alive, and probably living in some kind of "New Age commune".
Old 06-20-2007, 02:00 AM   #7
wiseguy182

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooksLikeCRicci
Isn't David the one who was making the rock formations and wrote some crazy stuff on the back of a dollar bill?
Yuppers.

The fact that his body was located in the desert might suggest that he never left the desert, but that would not explain why his trail stopped on the highway. One scenario is that he did make it to the highway, but the wrong people picked him up and he met with foul play. The odds that the people that picked him up had a nefarious intent in mind are low, but it's possible. Then they dropped his body off back at the desert figuring that it was a good hiding spot. That's the only thing I can think of.

I don't think he most people would have given him a ride, though. They probably figured he didn't have it all together, and would have been reluctant to give him a lift, especially since they were probably wondering what in the world he was doing in the desert. So I think if anyone picked him up they had an evil intent.

phillipscurve, please let us know what else you find in your bookshelf collection.
wiseguy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 07:57 AM   #8
justins5256

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipscurve
In my so called "bookshelf" collection I have, an older version of the case
Did you find any episodes that were in English?
Old 06-20-2007, 03:47 PM   #9
justins5256

I was thinking about this case today and I strongly believe that David had some kind of mental breakdown that began in the days before his disappearance. He was a stock market analyst. These types tend to be wound pretty tight. He attacked a man at a house party - a move his friends thought was highly out of character.

Then there was the obvious mistake in the Fibonacci sequence, the odd and seemingly indecipherable note that was found in his car, the fact that he left valuables, like his Rolex, in random places in the desert.

The UM segment hinted toward the possibility that David might have been signaling that he was in trouble. I think it's pretty obvious that he was a few sandwiches short of a picnic at that point and irrational thinking caused him to leave behind the clues that he did. In other words, there wasn't much of a message there that could be deciphered by us sane folk.

Did the update mention where his remains were found in the desert? I doubt it, but it would be interesting to know the proximity in relation to the "clues", his abandoned car, the spot where his scent was found etc. Maybe he was picked up by someone only to be dropped a small distance away and he wandered back in to a different part of the desert.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:53 PM   #10
DearBunny
Frequent Poster

I think that he died from exposure. He was not in his right mind and certainly wouldn't have been able to survive in the desert for very long. He probably spent more time leaving those bizarre messages and talking to himself than he did looking for food, water and shelter.
DearBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:34 PM   #11
DJ_Foxx
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DearBunny
I think that he died from exposure. He was not in his right mind and certainly wouldn't have been able to survive in the desert for very long. He probably spent more time leaving those bizarre messages and talking to himself than he did looking for food, water and shelter.
not to mention that he was wearing a short-sleeved shirt and shorts during a time where several people who saw him said was odd given how cold it was.
DJ_Foxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 06:34 PM   #12
phillipscurve
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by justins5256
Did you find any episodes that were in English?
Only the last part of David Stoneīs case (where Robert Stack mentions that Davidīs parents believe that he is still alive) is in english. The rest of the case, and the rest of the episode, is in spanish. It seems that whoever made the tape could change the audio between spanish-english at will. However that small part is the only one that I have found in english so far.

By the way, the episode also includes the "Katie" segment that you, justins, mentioned in the other thread (Lifetime editing question), and it includes the additional footage of her father-in-lawīs ghost "passing through" the kitchen, before "disappearing" in one bedroom. At the beginning of the episode, I think, RS did mention that it was a "Halloween Special" episode (from 1990). The episodeīs first segment is about the "Gray Man Ghost" of Pawleys Island, South Carolina, a friendly ghost who warns of impending hurricanes, like hurricane Hugo in 1989, followed by David Stoneīs case; the "Katie" segment and, finally, a segment about "reincarnation". I must admit that, this is not one of my favorite episodes, Davidīs case being the exception.
phillipscurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 01:33 AM   #13
kadrmas15
Retired from Board 03/03/11

Yes, David Stone's body I believe was found 4 years after he disappeared. I dont believe he ever left the desert, I believe he probably died of exposure a couple of days after he disappeared. According to the segment he was still alive for what was it, two days after he disappeared?

I dont know that Stone was completely off his rocker. I mean in my opinion he knew the searchers were looking for him, he probably even was watching them search and he made a deliberate attempt to avoid them. So it tells me maybe he didnt want to be found? I dont think this was a suicide, I just think that David wanted to go out and be spiritual and reflect on stuff and he got carried away with it.
kadrmas15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:14 AM   #14
RightOnDude
Forum Regular

It's clear to me that there's only one person who has all teh answers in this case. And that person is Tony Ballesteros. Unfortunantly I believe he was banned from this board.
RightOnDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 07:18 PM   #15
phillipscurve
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnDude
It's clear to me that there's only one person who has all teh answers in this case. And that person is Tony Ballesteros. Unfortunantly I believe he was banned from this board.

What was the motive for which, Tony Ballesteros was banned? Davidīs parents discovered Mr. Ballesterosī presentation card in one pocket version of the New Testament found among all the things that were recovered from Davidīs car. In the UM segment , Ballesteros said that he never met David Stone, and that he couldnīt explain why, his presentation card was found in Davidīs New Testament. Maybe Ballesteros can give more information concerning the case. Maybe. Why was he banned?
phillipscurve is offline   Reply With Quote