Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Lifetime Site / Lifetime Schedule / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

CBS Gives 9JKL More Episodes; Remembering Della Reese of Touched by an Angel, Chico and the Man
COZI TV's 4th Annual Holidozi Schedule; Remembering Ann Wedgeworth and Earle Hyman
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 20, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fox Producing Retirement Home Comedy Starring Vicki Lawrence and David Alan Grier; Nashville and Still the King Cancelled
Fri-Yay: Is Hulu Moving Away From Comedy?; Antenna TV to Air New Year Kickoff with Coach Marathon
You're the Worst Renewed for Final Season on FXX; New Stana Katic Drama Heads to Amazon
Sundance Gets Original Series for VOD; GSN Gets Thanksgiving Marathons

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-13-2006, 06:11 PM   #1
CentralCali
Occasional Poster

Default Today's Creepy Story

Today on Lifetime I saw the story of Richard Coleman for the first time...and it was creepy! I'm not sure if it was so much the story as the guy playing him though. It was bizarre how/why he was keeping his military duties a secret.

Anyone know more about this case?
Old 04-05-2007, 02:47 PM   #2
Avalon
Occasional Poster
Celebrity Obsessed

Talking

Just saw the story on the "Mystery" channel and did some searching. Looks like his son has made a big break-through:

http://www.ancestrymagazine.com/2007...s-information/

I knew my father as Richard Coleman. He met my mother, Helen, in Washington, D.C., around 1946. They married in 1947, and I was born in 1949.

In the mid-1950s, my father became ill with cancer, eventually passing away in Maryland in 1961. As a child, I always wondered where Dad’s family was, especially at the traditional holidays. But my father just wouldn’t talk about it. Nor would he explain why he claimed to have never been in the military whenever someone would ask, yet he kept mementos galore: photos, ribbons, and even actual uniforms.

I had always been convinced that my father was born by a name other than the one that I had grown up knowing. My search for his name, as well as his military service and his reportedly large family, began in 1975, partly to help my mother receive veteran’s benefits, partly to satisfy my curiosity. Over the years, my search was featured in an article in the Washington Post and on a segment of Unsolved Mysteries. Still, no breakthrough.

Several months ago, I was sitting at my computer contemplating what to do next in my search. I just happened to check the new database listing at Ancestry.com when one caught my eye—World War II draft registration cards. More than 20 years ago, I had written for my father’s possible World War II draft registration card, but the Federal Records Center was unable to locate anything. At the time, I chalked it up to my father’s subterfuge.

However, now when I typed in “Richard Coleman” in this database, I received 26 hits. One of them was a Richard Coleman, born 12 September 1895, in Everett, Massachusetts, and living at the time of registration in New York City. That had to be my father—Dad had said his birthday was September 12, but he always said either 1901 or 1902. On a number of records, he gave his birthplace as “Everett” or “Everett, Massachusetts.”

When I looked at the card, it was indeed my father. The signature had his distinctive backward slant, and the address gave a location where I knew he had lived for a number of years. Interestingly, this was the first time that I had come across a record on Richard Coleman that gave his birth date as being in the late 1800s, even though I suspected as much these past 30-some years.

Armed with the new birth year, I switched over to the World War I database. Instead of typing “Richard Coleman” I simply typed in my father’s new birth date—12 September 1895—and the place of birth, Massachusetts. Nothing else. I got 61 hits, one of which was “Coleman Joel DeKorte.” I remember thinking finding someone with my father’s date and place of birth, and his last name as a first name couldn’t be mere coincidence.

I clicked on the card for Coleman Joel DeKorte and looked at the signature. Sure enough, there was his distinctive backward slant. And the “Coleman” part of the signature was dead-on with my father’s handwriting.

My wife suggested I check census records—“see who his parents were.” In a short time, I found my father’s parents, his seven siblings, his first wife, their son and their two daughters, and a number of cousins.

Unfortunately, most of the people who would have known my dad as Coleman Joel DeKorte had passed away, but I did find a number of half-nieces, nephews, and cousins. Within a few days, I spoke by telephone to the widow of my father’s son (my half-brother) who is now in her 80s and living in Michigan. The following Sunday, I received an e-mail from the woman’s daughter—“Hi long lost relative.”

It seems my father and his first wife married in Maine in 1915 and had a very nasty split. My father apparently walked out one day, never to be heard from again. All these years, there was speculation on both sides of the family that Coleman Joel DeKorte/Richard Coleman had changed his name and remarried. But no one had made contact.

Since finding my father’s birth name, I’ve met his family, discovered that he was a policeman in Malden, Massachusetts before he “left,” and learned that my father’s other family had always wondered what happened to Coleman.

While I have not yet been able to determine why Coleman chose the name Richard, I have made a lot of other progress—now I’m slowly working my way through each of my dad’s seven siblings to see who survives. So far, I’ve found a couple of new cousins—grandchildren of my dad’s older brother—and I am on the trail of several others.

– Bob Coleman
Old 04-05-2007, 03:33 PM   #3
Corky Kneivel
Forum Regular

What fascinating story and an interesting "hobby" to devote your life to: searching for the true identity of the man who sired you, and the true story of the life he led before you entered the world. It's hard to imagine our parents as existing as people before we knew them and its got to be astounding to come to find out that the man you knew as "dad", as Richard Coleman, was known as an entirely different for many years.

Also fascinating is that this guy, born in 1895, had a draft registration card for World War II. They must have been taking EVERYBODY for the war effort.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:44 PM   #4
Cattt01
Occasional Poster

I thought lifetime doesn't air UM anymore.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:58 PM   #5
Thiussat
Forum Regular

Avalon,

Is "The Mystery Channel" a channel avaliable in the U.S. (other than having to own a big C-band dish)? It seems like I remember this channel being of Canadian origin.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:03 PM   #6
Kane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattt01
I thought lifetime doesn't air UM anymore.

It currently airs on Lifetime's spin-off channel, Lifetime Real Women. It's just not on the schedule for the original Lifetime.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:34 PM   #7
Avalon
Occasional Poster
Celebrity Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiussat
Avalon,

Is "The Mystery Channel" a channel avaliable in the U.S. (other than having to own a big C-band dish)? It seems like I remember this channel being of Canadian origin.

I think it's just available here in Canada, but I'm not totally positive on that...
Old 04-05-2007, 11:24 PM   #8
DP1
Forum Regular

Always found this case very interesting. So he hid his past from his family to hid a nasty divorce?
Old 04-06-2007, 10:14 PM   #9
Avalon
Occasional Poster
Celebrity Obsessed

I don't understand if he legally divorced his wife, or if they were going to divorce and he decided it would just be easier to change his name and start a new life. That's the part I don't get, but yes... he did hide his past from his "second" family.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:09 PM   #10
radar1979
Frequent Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to radar1979
Default Old Man's Draft

The WW2 Draft Reg cards from Ancestery.com are what is known as the "Old Man's Draft"...males born between a certain 20 year time span had to register. My own GG grandfather was born in 1881 and ever HE had a card.
The article still does not clear up the issue of military service...perhaps the Census from 1930 shows that?