Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat > Chit Chat - Politics

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 25, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Roseanne Without Roseanne is Official; Is a Revival of The Nanny in the Works?
Fri-Yay: Shows to Catch Up on This Summer; The Conners Coming to ABC Tuesdays This Fall
3rd Rock from the Sun Launches on Laff in July; The CW Fall 2018 Premiere Dates
NBC Fall 2018 Premiere Dates; Season 4 of Bounce Sitcom Premieres July 2
The History of Comedy Returns to CNN; Showtime Gets First Late Night Talk Show
Showtime Gets Don Cheadle Comedy; HBO Special Directed by Jerrod Carmichael Coming Soon
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 18, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Roseanne Spinoff One Step Closer to Reality; Netflix to Air New Season of Lucifer
Fri-Yay: Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Finally Finds Its Best Self; All About the Washingtons with Rev Run Coming to Netflix

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June)

Living Single - The Complete Fifth Season Step by Step - The Complete First Season Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season One Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fourth Season Last Man Standing - The Complete Sixth Season

06/05 - Living Single - The Complete Fifth Season
06/05 - New Girl - The Complete Sixth Season
06/05 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-First Season (Blu-ray)
06/12 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fourth Season
06/12 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Third Season
06/12 - The Office - The Complete Series
06/12 - Speechless - The Complete First Season
06/12 - Speechless - The Complete Second Season
06/12 - Step by Step - The Complete First Season
06/12 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season One (Blu-ray)
06/19 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fourth Season
06/26 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Fifth Season
06/26 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Sixth Season
06/26 - The Mick - The Complete First Season
06/26 - The Mick - The Complete Second Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-23-2018, 03:00 PM   #1
JamesG
Freakshow
Forum Celebrity

Exclamation The NFL Rules on National Anthem: "Stand or Face Fines"

NFL's National Anthem Policy: Players on Field Must Stand, Show "Respect"
Lorenzo Reyes, USA TODAY
May 23, 2018

Amid repeated protests during the playing of the national anthem over the past two seasons, the NFL on Wednesday passed a revised policy that mandates players and team personnel present on the sideline “shall stand and show respect for the flag and the Anthem.

The revision allows players who would not wish to stand to remain in the locker room. Also under the revision, each franchise will have the power to issue their own policies, which could include fines for players protesting the anthem, under the conduct detrimental provision of the league’s personal conduct policy.

The league also now has the power to fine any franchise that has representatives who do not stand or "show respect" while present on the sideline for the anthem.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said the agreement was reached unanimously by owners at the league meeting in Atlanta, but Jed York of the 49ers said his team abstained.

We want people to be respectful to the national anthem,” Goodell said in a news conference. “We want people to stand. That’s all personnel, and make sure they treat this moment in a respectful fashion. That’s something we think we owe. We have been very sensitive in making sure we give players choices, but we do believe that that moment is important and one we are going to focus on.

Several players last season followed in the footsteps of former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick, who in the previous year chose to kneel during the national anthem as a form of protest against police brutality and racial inequality.

By the start of the 2017 season, there were only a handful of protests during the anthem. Then, in a September rally, President Trump referred to a player who protested social injustice by kneeling during the national anthem as “son of a bitch.” Many teams and players responded by participating in demonstrations that featured kneeling or standing with arms locked.

It was unfortunate that on-field protests created a false perception among many that thousands of NFL players were unpatriotic,” Goodell said in a written statement that announced the revision. “This is not and was never the case.

The NFL Players Association has already taken issue with the policy, which was reached without the union present.

The NFL chose to not consult the union in the development of this new ‘policy,’” the NFLPA said in a statement. “NFL players have shown their patriotism through their social activism, their community service, in support of our military and law enforcement and yes, through their protests to raise awareness about the issues they care about.

The vote by NFL club CEOs today contradicts the statements made to our player leadership by Commissioner Roger Goodell and the Chairman of the NFL’s Management Council John Mara about the principles, values and patriotism of our League.

Our union will review the new ‘policy’ and challenge any aspect of it that is inconsistent with the collective bargaining agreement.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...est/637050002/
Attached Images

JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:30 PM   #2
bandito
Going Topless

What a bunch of Racist owners.. I mean paying 70% of black men in the NFL millions of dollars to play a "game" is the most racist thing I've ever heard. How dare these racist whiteys expect their employees to stand for 30 seconds to honor a flag that represents the United States of America.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:31 PM   #3
retroTVfan4ever

This "new rule" is useless because it allows players to completely disregard the national anthem by giving them the option to stay in the locker room while the anthem is played. This is worse than having them on the field and taking a knee while the anthem is played. While I didn't like it when players took a knee, at least they were still on the field. This new rule allows them to hide away in the locker room if they want to. The NFL is a joke.

The rule should insist that EVERY player be on the field and STANDING when the anthem is played. No exceptions. Respect our country, respect our flag, and respect our anthem. That doesn't seem like too much to ask.
retroTVfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 12:19 AM   #4
DadTheKing
Forum Regular

MAGA!!!
DadTheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:43 AM   #5
MrCleveland
Drew Carey from Hell
Forum Veteran

Oh No

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroTVfan4ever
This "new rule" is useless because it allows players to completely disregard the national anthem by giving them the option to stay in the locker room while the anthem is played. This is worse than having them on the field and taking a knee while the anthem is played. While I didn't like it when players took a knee, at least they were still on the field. This new rule allows them to hide away in the locker room if they want to. The NFL is a joke.

The rule should insist that EVERY player be on the field and STANDING when the anthem is played. No exceptions. Respect our country, respect our flag, and respect our anthem. That doesn't seem like too much to ask.
Another reason to boycott the NFL...I think Cleveland should kneel every time the Cleveland Clowns are playing! Their 2018 season is already over!

PS-Maybe the Cleveland Clowns should just not even show-up this year!

Lee Hazlewood (1929-2007)
MrCleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 02:13 PM   #6
JSP

I love the NFL when the players were kneeling, and I love it now. Being a Dallas Cowboys fan, there’s a lot in our history to like. Admittedly things haven’t been so great for them in nearly 25 years. But those 1970s Cowboys were really something.
JSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 03:53 PM   #7
Dianne3
Forum Regular

Money talks. It's the decline in both paid attendance and TV viewership why this "new rule" is now. Before, the NFL was made of Teflon that no matter how many scandals there were, it didn't diminish the NFL's popularity.

The owners when this was happening were split. Some of them were always against the players kneeling, while others supported them.

Mr. Cleveland -Cleveland sounds like they are on the right track this year.
Dianne3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 04:22 PM   #8
MrCleveland
Drew Carey from Hell
Forum Veteran

Oh No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianne3

Mr. Cleveland -Cleveland sounds like they are on the right track this year.
If the Browns can be playoff-bound by 2020...then they'll have my blessing.
MrCleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:13 PM   #9
OH Nuts!
WINGing it on a Sandpiper!
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandito
What a bunch of Racist owners.. I mean paying 70% of black men in the NFL millions of dollars to play a "game" is the most racist thing I've ever heard. How dare these racist whiteys expect their employees to stand for 30 seconds to honor a flag that represents the United States of America.
To get paid this kind of outrageous money, and then basically give the middle finger to our country is TRULY DISGUSTING. I’d say they should be ashamed of themselves, but that would be a waste of words; as they are shameless.

xxoo You both Rock!!
OH Nuts! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 05:05 AM   #10
Babalu

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH Nuts!
To get paid this kind of outrageous money, and then basically give the middle finger to our country is TRULY DISGUSTING. I’d say they should be ashamed of themselves, but that would be a waste of words; as they are shameless.

Exactly. And just as bad is the left wing media that makes heroes of them. You can't find a news program that doesn't bring an America hating black commentator on to claim that they're doing us a favor instead of being the ignorant ungrateful morons they are.

I just nailed Mrs. Trumbull
Babalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 08:57 AM   #11
tlc38tlc38
Knock! Knock!
Forum Veteran

I honestly don't care what others do, all I know is I show respect to my flag and country. Let them stay in the locker room, nobody wants to see them anyway lol.

Face it, it wasn't about police brutality or whatever they said, they were doing it for attention and to stir a stink with something that has absolutely nothing to do with it in the first place...that's it.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:22 AM   #12
Jaqui-Michel
Brick City Citizen
Forum Regular

It’s pretty funny that people are telling us to stand up and respect “our” flag when you don’t consider us an equal party of the “our”. Glad the NY Jets owner spoke out about this foolishness.

So when the anthem is played, will all the fans be in their seats standing at attention ready to sing along? Or will they be getting beer, nachos and going to the bathroom? Will they be disrespectful by not showing their extreme patriotism and thrown out of the stadium?
Old 05-25-2018, 11:25 AM   #13
tlc38tlc38
Knock! Knock!
Forum Veteran

^Big difference. The fans aren't being paid to be there. The players are.

The players have a job and that's part of it. Period.
tlc38tlc38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 01:23 PM   #14
JSP

I honestly can’t get upset over people kneeling while the anthem is going. I know people think that’s not the time to protest, but when would be? Seems that’s the best time to throw a spotlight on the problem of police brutality so I understand why they did that.
JSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:21 PM   #15
IllinoisTVFan

I served in the navy so I have a different view. First off, the players don't receive government money so whatever the NFL does is up to them. Also, the protest was originally about racism, not the National Anthem. I didn't know this until others told me. Also, if people are up in arms about their "patriotism" then why not serve? Trump was a draft dodger, so he has the same amount of patriotism as the players, they may even have more because none of them could be draft dodgers as the draft was eliminated before any of them could have served. Finally, for those claiming patriotism, what do YOU do to serve the military? Did you serve, do you volunteer for military groups, or give money or just think of Memorial Day as a day off from work? If you do nothing to support the troops you have no business talking about the players because you're just like how you think they are (and maybe they are, or maybe not). I am tired of people pulling the patriotism card when they do nothing to support it themselves. If you do things like I mentioned, then I am NOT talking to you. Honestly, I don't even care about the football players kneeling or not, it's between them and the NFL.
IllinoisTVFan is online now   Reply With Quote