Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Gimme a Break! Online / Gimme a Break! links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Gimme a Break! Photo Gallery

Gimme a Break! - Season One (US Release by Universal)

Buy Gimme a Break! - Season One (US Release by Universal) on DVD
Gimme a Break! - The Complete First Season (Canadian Release by VEI)

Buy Gimme a Break! - The Complete First Season (Canadian Release by VEI) on DVD
Gimme a Break! - The Complete Second Season (Canadian Release by VEI)

Buy Gimme a Break! - The Complete Second Season (Canadian Release by VEI) on DVD if you are in the US
/ Buy in Canada
Gimme a Break! - The Complete Series (Canadian Release by VEI)

Buy Gimme a Break! - The Complete Series (Canadian Release by VEI) on DVD
/ Buy in Canada

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > Gimme a Break!

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fox Picks Up Sitcom The Cool Kids for Full Season; CBS and ABC Back Nine Pickups
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 22, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Is Alice Next in Line for a Reboot?; CBS Gives Full Season to Three New Series
Fri-Yay: New Sitcoms - What's Working and What's Not?; Brockmire Season 3 Brings Out the Stars
ABC Picks Up Single Parents for Full Year; Netflix Gets Tia Mowry and Loretta Devine Sitcom
Showtime Comedy Gets More Stars; Netflix Orders New Comedy from Novel Writer
NBC Sets January 2019 Lineup; Team Coco Heads to New York Comedy Festival

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October)

The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season Step by Step - The Complete Second Season Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season

09/04 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Season 12
09/04 - Mom - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Superstore - Season Three
09/04 - Young Sheldon - The Complete First Season
09/11 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season (Blu-ray)
09/11 - The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - People of Earth - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - Community - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
09/18 - Step by Step - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fourth Season
09/25 - Blondie - The Complete 1957 Television Series
09/25 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season
10/02 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season
10/02 - The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One / Volume Two
10/02 - Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection
10/16 - Police Squad! - TV and Movie Collection
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-10-2012, 11:43 PM   #1
Smartboy

Default The Termination of the Girls

In between the last post by anyone other than me and the present moment, I have made sixteen unsuccessful attempts to stimulate some conversation about this fine show! I am now going to commemorate this situation by writing about the number seventeen. As I am sure that a lot of you know, all three of the Kinisky sisters were terminated from the series at the start of the 1986-87 season. Because of how big of a crush I had on Julie, seeing her no more was very devestating! But life goes on! In any event, I was seventeen years old when all of this took place. I thought that it would be fun to make my seventeenth post about something that happened when I was seventeen! Bye!
Smartboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:53 PM   #2
70s show watcher

i thought then and i think mow that it was a big mistake to drop the girls and try to turn the show into some sort of laverne and sherly clone but networks sometimes make huge mistakes
70s show watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 02:38 AM   #3
TV_on_the_Porch
anything good on?
Forum Regular

I saw the title from the index page and was sure this post was about Too Close For Comfort.
TV_on_the_Porch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:49 PM   #4
Smartboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV_on_the_Porch
I saw the title from the index page and was sure this post was about Too Close For Comfort.

I watched "Too Close for Comfort" when it was on Tuesday Nights. However, once it moved to Thursday, I gave it up. The reason for this is that it was on opposite "Gimme a Break!" and I was not willing to give up "Gimme a Break!"! Especially with Julie at her prime! By the time that I gave up "Too Close for Comfort" both of the daughters were still in tact. Did they eventually terminate those characters? If so, how did they build them out of the story?
Old 03-11-2012, 08:05 PM   #5
Marvo301
I'm NOT a Blockhead!
Forum Veteran

Cool

I agee with70's show watcher. Getting rid of the girls was a mistake. It took the show to far away from it's original premise.

A life isn't worth living unless it has impact on other lives. Jackie Robinson

Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man. Benjamin Franklin
Marvo301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:19 PM   #6
Smartboy

Like I said at this start of this thread, this was my seventeenth attempt to stimulate some conversation on this page! I am so happy to see that, after all of this time, I was finally able to think of a topic that people thought was worthy of some responses!
Old 03-12-2012, 12:45 AM   #7
TV_on_the_Porch
anything good on?
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartboy
I watched "Too Close for Comfort" when it was on Tuesday Nights. However, once it moved to Thursday, I gave it up. The reason for this is that it was on opposite "Gimme a Break!" and I was not willing to give up "Gimme a Break!"! Especially with Julie at her prime! By the time that I gave up "Too Close for Comfort" both of the daughters were still in tact. Did they eventually terminate those characters? If so, how did they build them out of the story?
Did you watch TCFC in the fall of 82? Gimme A Break had moved to Saturday when TCFC moved to Thursday and didn't come back til January. If you're asking about the termination of the Rush daughters, that didn't happen until much later when the format was altered to create The Ted Knight Show.

They may or may not have been intact by then, I don't really know. If not I'm pretty sure Monroe wasn't responsible!
Old 03-12-2012, 01:12 AM   #8
Smartboy

Quote:
Did you watch TCFC in the fall of 82? Gimme A Break had moved to Saturday when TCFC moved to Thursday and didn't come back til January. If you're asking about the termination of the Rush daughters, that didn't happen until much later when the format was altered to create The Ted Knight Show.

They may or may not have been intact by then, I don't really know. If not I'm pretty sure Monroe wasn't responsible!

While we are on the topic of Monroe, was he still there by the time the series became the "Ted Night Show"?
Old 03-12-2012, 01:44 AM   #9
TV_on_the_Porch
anything good on?
Forum Regular

Yes. Supposedly the format change came about because both actresses left (as opposed to being terminated) and the producers formulated some barely plausible reason why Monroe came along when the Rushes moved to a small town where Henry ran the newspaper.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:11 PM   #10
Smartboy

Quote:
Yes. Supposedly the format change came about because both actresses left (as opposed to being terminated) and the producers formulated some barely plausible reason why Monroe came along when the Rushes moved to a small town where Henry ran the newspaper.

Thank you very much for the information! It is so nice to see some conversation being stimulated on what seemed like a dead zone!
Old 03-22-2012, 03:06 AM   #11
Smartboy

Quote:

Because this topic was successful in stimulating some responses for a while, I am now experimenting with what will happen if I bring it back to the top of the page. And just in case anyone is interested, two pages that I frequeint that I have even less success in stimulating any conversation on are "Caroline in the City" and "Mad About You". And one page that sees slightly more action than this one is "Happy Days". Any thoughts as to why this is?
Old 04-02-2012, 01:44 AM   #12
Smartboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvo301
I agee with70's show watcher. Getting rid of the girls was a mistake. It took the show to far away from it's original premise.

Because of the number of views that each new post is getting, I can tell that the fans are out there. I am now just trying to figure out what new thread I need to start or what old thread I need to raise to the top of the page to stimulare some conversation. I know that a lot of people were very disappointed to see the girls disappear and felt that the move to New York really killed the show. I am wondering whether bringing this one to the top might inspire people to elaborate on how they feel about this topic.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:40 PM   #13
Smartboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvo301

Because of how popular this thread seemed to be for a while, I am now raising it to the top of the page. I am wondering whether there might be some fans who are will to re-visit this topic.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:40 PM   #14
Jude The Obscure
Retired

I really disliked the last couple of seasons, esp the last season. It wasn't even Gimme a Break! at this point--should have been just renamed "The Nell Carter Show" and treated like a new series.

and Smartboy, every show I post on, goes through these periods...it would help if this show was in reruns or even a USA release on DVD.
Jude The Obscure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #15
Smartboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude The Obscure
I really disliked the last couple of seasons, esp the last season. It wasn't even Gimme a Break! at this point--should have been just renamed "The Nell Carter Show" and treated like a new series.

and Smartboy, every show I post on, goes through these periods...it would help if this show was in reruns or even a USA release on DVD.

I understand all of the points that you have made. Thank you very much for the response!