Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Gimme a Break! Online / Gimme a Break! links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Gimme a Break! Photo Gallery


Gimme a Break! - Season One (US Release by Universal)

Buy Gimme a Break! - Season One (US Release by Universal) on DVD
Gimme a Break! - The Complete First Season (Canadian Release by VEI)

Buy Gimme a Break! - The Complete First Season (Canadian Release by VEI) on DVD
Gimme a Break! - The Complete Second Season (Canadian Release by VEI)

Buy Gimme a Break! - The Complete Second Season (Canadian Release by VEI) on DVD if you are in the US
/ Buy in Canada
Gimme a Break! - The Complete Series (Canadian Release by VEI)

Buy Gimme a Break! - The Complete Series (Canadian Release by VEI) on DVD
/ Buy in Canada

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > Gimme a Break!
User Name
Password


Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of May 28, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: NBC Plans Next Live Musical; Step by Step Finally Coming to DVD
Young & Hungry Returns for Final Season; FX Renews Baskets
Nickelodeon Gets Norman Lear Project; 20th Anniversary Marathon of Sex and the City on E!
Netflix Series Big Mouth Adds Stars; Alexa and Carlos PenaVega Return to Hallmark Channel for Film
The Middle Marathon on Freeform Today for Finale Day; She-Ra Returns with Sitcom Voice Cast
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of May 21, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Looking Back at the Upfronts; Fresh Off the Boat and Last Man Standing DVDs Arriving on Tuesday
Fri-Yay: How Did Sitcoms Fare at the Upfronts?


New on DVD/Blu-ray (March/April/May)

Atlanta - The Complete First Season Curb Your Enthusiasm - The Complete Ninth Season One Day at a Time - Season Two Perfect Strangers  - The Complete Third Season Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Final (Eighth) Season

03/06 - Atlanta - The Complete First Season
03/06 - Curb Your Enthusiasm - The Complete Ninth Season
03/13 - The New Adventures of Old Christine - The Complete First Season
03/27 - One Day at a Time - Season Two
04/03 - Ballers - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/03 - 90's Sitcom (Just Shoot Me!/The Larry Sanders Show/Wings) Starter Set - Season 1 & 2 Bundle
04/10 - Vice Principals - The Compelte Series
04/17 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Third Season
05/08 - Dear White People - Season 1
05/08 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Final (Eighth) Season
05/29 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 1
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-23-2012, 09:46 AM   #16
Dr. Thong
Senior Member
a/k/a "ACK!"
 
Dr. Thong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 10, 2001
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Posts: 4,771
Default

Wasn't Nell Carter doing cocaine behind the scenes? Maybe the writers were basing the character off the actress.
__________________
"Sunday has been cancelled due to lack of interest. That is all."
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:13 AM   #17
DJM77
Senior Member
Member
 
DJM77's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 15, 2001
Location: Missouri
Posts: 3,800
Send a message via ICQ to DJM77
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Thong
Wasn't Nell Carter doing cocaine behind the scenes? Maybe the writers were basing the character off the actress.

Yeah, early on at least.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LBzb346Z_E
__________________
Marge: There are only 49 stars on that flag.
Abe: I'll be deep in the cold, cold ground before I recognize Missouri!
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:24 PM   #18
TMC
Forum Celebrity
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 09, 2001
Posts: 28,395
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Thong
Wasn't Nell Carter doing cocaine behind the scenes? Maybe the writers were basing the character off the actress.

Before, Nell Harper seemed to really only lose it if someone did something incredibly stupid. But once, Nell Carter quit cocaine and her weight started yo-yo-ing, Nell Harper on Gimme A Break! got progressively louder and meaner. So maybe the writers wrote her outbursts as a form of catharsis.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:26 PM   #19
Smartboy
Senior Member
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 06, 2007
Location: South Orange, NJ
Posts: 3,727
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC
Before, Nell Harper seemed to really only lose it if someone did something incredibly stupid. But once, Nell Carter quit cocaine and her weight started yo-yo-ing, Nell Harper on Gimme A Break! got progressively louder and meaner. So maybe the writers wrote her outbursts as a form of catharsis.


That is very interesting. It is always nice to read about a new school of thought.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 04:43 AM   #20
Wildchats
Forum Regular
Me
 
Wildchats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 15, 2001
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 948
Default

My former professor who wrote Diff'rent Strokes told me the reason why the theme song changed--

Nell wanted to make money or something and didn't want to give credit anymore to the creators of the original- It was something along those lines but I'm not sure how true that was--

Usually a show just updates their theme song with the same lyrics but they changed them completely and I liked them so much better than the original!


The first 2 seasons were as if the show was in the 70s! The last 4 were so much better!


They got rid of the original producers as well as Nell had them fired!


But getting rid of the theme meant getting rid of the instrumentals used in opening scenes as they did in seasons 1-2! Those were most likely by the same team who wrote the season 1-2 song! The 2nd theme song- the ONLY time they used parts of it to open scenes of an episode were in "The Center" but they just took segments of the actual theme--they didn't make new instrumentals to open scenes that had the feel of the intro!


Other than that--


The show was changing! They added Addy- so Nell had to get mad!
__________________
Guys, check out all my websites! I've been in Los Angeles since September 2, 2005 and have worked on MANY amazing shows!


www.MarkSinacori.com
Check out my website!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3254521/?nmdp=1&
Check out my IMDB page!

https://www.facebook.com/MarkTSinacori
My public facebook! Please like it!

https://www.facebook.com/MarkTSinacori
My twitter page! Please follow me!
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:18 PM   #21
Smartboy
Senior Member
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 06, 2007
Location: South Orange, NJ
Posts: 3,727
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildchats
My former professor who wrote Diff'rent Strokes told me the reason why the theme song changed--

Nell wanted to make money or something and didn't want to give credit anymore to the creators of the original- It was something along those lines but I'm not sure how true that was--

Usually a show just updates their theme song with the same lyrics but they changed them completely and I liked them so much better than the original!


The first 2 seasons were as if the show was in the 70s! The last 4 were so much better!


They got rid of the original producers as well as Nell had them fired!


But getting rid of the theme meant getting rid of the instrumentals used in opening scenes as they did in seasons 1-2! Those were most likely by the same team who wrote the season 1-2 song! The 2nd theme song- the ONLY time they used parts of it to open scenes of an episode were in "The Center" but they just took segments of the actual theme--they didn't make new instrumentals to open scenes that had the feel of the intro!


Other than that--


The show was changing! They added Addy- so Nell had to get mad!


That is all very interesting. I agree that, by Season 3, the show had become quite a bit different. I would say that the addition of Addie was only one of the significant differences in the show.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 01:17 PM   #22
MrCleveland
Forum Veteran
Drew Carey from Hell
 
MrCleveland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 09, 2007
Location: Where there isn't a football team...just...Clowns!
Posts: 11,632
Oh No

Also for Season 4, Dolph Sweet was going in for cancer treatment and he wanted to do the show to get away from his actual problems. The Chief too can have a mean streak...more so than Nell!

And when Sweet died, Carter probably did more cocaine to deal with Sweet's death...I think she was devastated with that loss.
__________________
Thank God for kids who love Obscure Things.

Lee Hazlewood (1929-2007)
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:53 AM.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.5.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.