Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

All Other TV Shows Photo Gallery / Sketch Comedy/Variety/Talk Shows/Late Night TV Photo Gallery

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > All Other TV Shows

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 17, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: The Conners Second Season Looking Likely; Apple to Produce New Peanuts Content
Fri-Yay: Where Will The Good Place Go Next?; Everything's Gonna Be Okay at Freeform
ABC Mid-Season 2019 Schedule; Amy Sedaris Laffer Returns Feb. 19 on truTV
ABC Picks Up Comedy Starring Lake Bell, Dax Shepard; EPIX Dark Comedy Gets 3rd Season
Lifetime Brings in the Stars for Winter Movies; Celebs Line Up for CBS All Access' Twilight Zone
HBO Comedy Crashing Returns for Season 3; Nick Sitcom Starts Jan. 5

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection Alice - The Complete Eighth Season Step by Step - The Complete Third Season

10/02 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 6th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 7th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 8th Season
10/02 - Ghosted - The Complete First Season
10/02 - The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One / Volume Two
10/02 - Police Squad! - TV and Movie Collection
10/02 - Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection
10/16 - Community - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/23 - Alice - The Complete Eighth Season
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Two
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Three
10/31 - The Bad News Bears - The Complete Series - All 26 Episodes
11/01 - Episodes - Season 5
11/05 - Robin Williams - Comic Genius (includes Mork & Mindy)
11/06 - American Dad! - Volume 13
11/16 - Man with a Plan - Season One
11/20 - Step by Step - The Complete Third Season
11/27 - What I Like About You - The Complete Third Season
12/04 - Family Guy - Season Sixteen
12/04 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Sixth Season
12/18 - Our Cartoon President - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-03-2018, 12:35 PM   #1
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Default Conan will shift to a 30-minute "less structured" talk show format in 2019

http://www.indiewire.com/2018/05/con...es-1201959876/

Conan O'Brien will continue to host his TBS talk show four nights a week, but the reduced workload will allow him to do more work outside the studio, including "Conan Without Borders" episodes that he has excelled at in recent years. The Conan makeover is part of TBS' long-term plan for the late-night host. “Since I inherited my Late Night show in 1993, TV has changed exponentially,” Conan said in a statement. “I’d like to think I have evolved with many of these changes, but now it’s time to take the next leap. A half-hour show will give me the time to do a higher percentage of the comedy in, and out, of the studio that I love and that seems to resonate in this new digital world. It’s still going to be me hosting a very silly show, but I want segments on my half-hour program to link to digital content, deepening the experience for my younger fans, and confusing my older ones.” ALSO: Conan's entire Late Night with Conan O’Brien NBC archives will soon be available on Team Coco -- including the Masturbating Bear.

Conan O'Brien on shrinking his talk show to 30 minutes "I’ve been pushing for this for a while"
Conan says his new show will still likely have a monologue and at least one celebrity guest, but he wanted to do "something that fits the modern landscape, that certainly fits the way I interact with my fans more. I was looking for something more lean and agile.” TBS and TNT president Kevin Reilly pointed out that the 30-minute show wouldn't necessarily mean less content. There will be more opportunity to do non-show things like an upcoming live tour with his Team Coco comedians and "Clueless Gamer" segments, as well as "Conan Without Borders." “It’s not going to be a whole new Conan with a shaved head and an eye patch and a falcon on his shoulder,” says Conan.

ALSO:

Conan O'Brien: "Doing half an hour could shock me into coming up with new stuff"
Citing the movie Die Hard, Conan says in a lengthy interview with Vulture that TBS was initially reluctant with his plan to downsize to 30-minute shows. "The truth is that the initial resistance to half an hour came from the business side," he says. "They didn’t want to stop selling an hour’s worth of ads. But we’re not going to be giving them less content. We might even be making more content and just putting more of it directly online." He adds: "There are parts of late night that feel very pro forma. At this stage in my career doing half an hour could shock me into coming up with new stuff." In a lengthy Die Hard analogy, Conan says that from his years of experience, he's learned that executives are committed to a plan, even when things change. "Sometimes my experience with executives is as if they’re Hans Gruber and the internet is Bruce Willis," he says says. The veteran host also discussed how he's gotten over The Tonight Show debacle, saying: "Without getting into specifics, there were a few people who I felt were not being good human beings. But I see that what happened was an inevitable clusterf*ck. I had a bad feeling the minute NBC said, 'You’re going to go do The Tonight Show but Jay’s also going to be on at 10 doing a Tonight Show before your Tonight Show.' It’s like when the Bachelor can’t decide: All three of us were not going to fit in that hot tub."

Last edited by TMC; 06-04-2018 at 07:37 PM.
TMC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:14 PM   #2
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Conan will cut music performances when switching to a 30-minute format in January
Music booker Roey Hershkovitz, who has worked for Conan O'Brien's various talk shows since 1999, will depart as part of the change. But he might work on music-related content that involves Conan's show and Team Coco digital platform.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:31 PM   #3
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Conan O'Brien says goodbye to the one-hour format and his beloved house band after 25 years

Thursday was Conan's last one-hour edition of TBS' Conan before taking a break, going on tour and returning to a 30-minute, band-less talk show in January. Conan choked up as he paid an emotional tribute to his house band, which has been with him since his Late Night debut on Sept. 13, 1993. Originally called "The Max Weinberg 7," Conan's house band was rebranded as "Jimmy Vivino and the Basic Cable Band" upon Weinberg's departure when Conan moved to TBS in 2010. Guitarist and band leader Jimmy Vivino, Richie "LaBamba" Rosenberg, Jerry Vivino, Mark Pender, Scott Healey and Mike Merritt have been with Conan since Day One. Drummer James Wormworth, who subbed for Weinberg in the 1990s and 2000s when the E Street band drummer would go on tour with Bruce Springsteen, joined the band full-time on TBS. “Since we began this journey 25 years ago, my band has been a daily source of joy in my life. These remarkable musicians have given their talent, energy, enthusiasm and incredible showmanship for over 4,000 hours,” Conan said. “They have been with me through all of the incredible highs and lows of Late Night, The Tonight Show and these past eight years at TBS.” Even though Conan is taking a three-month break from his show, he has a lot on his plate, including the release of a website featuring digitally remastered episodes of his old Late Night shows. Earlier Thursday, Conan also announced he will be launching a podcast, Conan O’Brien Needs a Friend, in November. As previously announced, Conan will be embarking on an 18-city tour starting Nov. 2. He will also release another "Conan Without Borders" episode featuring his trip to Japan's Conan Town on Nov. 28. “I’m going to a half-hour so I can spend more time on the things I really love. I’m not talking about my wife and children – that ship sailed a long time ago,” he joked to his studio audience. “No, I’m talking about travel shows around the world; silly remote pieces; interviewing brilliant, distinct people. Really just focusing on the stuff that we love the most.”
Old 10-11-2018, 08:20 PM   #4
70s show watcher

its not a bad idea the last time i watched his show awhile back he looked bored maybe this new format will refresh both him and the show itself
70s show watcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:34 PM   #5
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Conan O'Brien's half-hour revamped talk show plans to shoot beyond its timeslot, edit it down and put the extra content online

Conan, in the midst of a cross-country tour, spoke about his plans to reduce a 44-minute show to 22 minutes in conversation with Jake Tapper at the New York Comedy Festival. “We’re still playing with it a lot because I’ve wanted the tour and this experience to inform it,” he said, noting that "shorter” doesn’t necessarily mean easier. “What I’d like to do is shoot the show a little longer than 30 minutes, have it be very loose and playful, put out the best version of the linear show, and put the rest out online, so they work off of each other.” He added: “Part of what we’re trying to do with this new shift is, you should be able to see what I’m up to pretty much 24 hours a day. And if we have something funny that we can comment on in the moment, that should be put out there at 3:00 in the afternoon. I don’t want to be killing time. Especially in a world where there’s 175 late-night shows, and people are experiencing them in a different way (online). I want the linear show to match what we experience digitally.”

ALSO: