Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Lifetime Site / Lifetime Schedule / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Comedy Central Acquires Animated Comedy Favorites; Shout! to Release Saved by the Bell Collection With Previously Unreleased Episodes
New Multicast Network Start TV Launches Sept. 3 with Female Dramas; Insatiable Premieres Aug. 10 with Debby Ryan and Alyssa Milano
Showtime Gets Jillian Bell for Comedy; Rev Run Sitcom Preview
Rugrats Revived on Nickelodeon; Vanilla Ice Project Returns Aug. 11
Guests Line Up for Caroline Rhea Series; UnREAL Season 4 Premieres on Hulu
Celebrities Get Animated on Animal Planet; Freeform Drama Pilot Underway
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of July 16, 2018)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July)

New Girl - The Complete Seventh Season Alice - The Complete Seventh Season Green Acres - The Final (Sixth) Season The Last Man on Earth - The Complete Fourth Season The Good Place - The Complete Second Season

06/05 - Living Single - The Complete Fifth Season
06/05 - New Girl - The Complete Sixth Season
06/05 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-First Season (Blu-ray)
06/12 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fourth Season
06/12 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Third Season
06/12 - The Office - The Complete Series
06/12 - Speechless - The Complete First Season
06/12 - Speechless - The Complete Second Season
06/12 - Step by Step - The Complete First Season
06/12 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season One (Blu-ray)
06/19 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fourth Season
06/26 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Fifth Season
06/26 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Sixth Season
06/26 - The Mick - The Complete First Season
06/26 - The Mick - The Complete Second Season
07/03 - New Girl - The Final (Seventh) Season
07/10 - Alice - The Complete Seventh Season (WBShop.com)
07/10 - The Bill Engvall Show - The Complete First Season (WBShop.com)
07/10 - Green Acres - The Final (Sixth) Season
07/10 - The Last Man on Earth - The Complete Fourth Season
07/17 - Cooper Barrett's Guide to Surviving Life - The Complete Series
07/17 - The Good Place - The Complete Second Season
07/17 - Son of Zorn - The Complete Series
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-09-2014, 03:52 AM   #31
WishfulDreamer

I find Tyrone to be interesting not only because of how he reported the crime, but how he went into that cave alone in the first place. I would have been too afraid to go!

Sadly, I think finding Tom Dixon will continue to be difficult unless he slips up. If he is still alive, he's in his 80s.
WishfulDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:25 PM   #32
anajonda
First Time Poster

I have a theory on this case. Basically it goes like this:

1. Gary Simmons was buying gas for gas stations during an oil crisis. The people I'm led to understand (from my own research. God bless google for being able to search newspapers) that he was buying it from were not very
nice people, and I'm guessing may have been connected to organized crime.

2. Due to the fact that he simply couldn't afford to pay for the gas anymore, Gary closed down 15 (of how many, I'm not sure) gas stations within a year of his death.

3. These same people who Gary was buying gas from were being investigated by congress for their practices (which weren't strictly legal) and it was specuiated at the time that Gary might be called to testify.

(here's where it gets interesting)

4. I believe Tom Dixon may have been tangled up with the same people. His photos (both of them) shown on the show are clearly from mug shots, so I feel this is a comfortable guess.

5. Tom may have owed these people $30,000, and was told that he could have the debt paid if he lured Gary with $30,000 into a phony business deal (or in this case, a horse sale). Strictly my guess.

6. Once this was done, these people may have killed Gary, and then possibly have killed Tom to ensure his silence and keep their money. Again, this is strictly my guess.

This could explain why Tom hasn't been seen since 1974. It could also explain how their mutual friend could have seen the horse Gary supposedly showed him. It also might explain a comment that Tom made to Gary's banker, that the $30,000 was to "Clear a debt". It's worth noting that for years (especially in the 70s and 80s) it was assumed that Tom never surfaced because he was thought to have been killed by the same people who killed Gary. That's the reason why an all-out manhunt never occurred for Tom after Gary's car was found.

Anyway, that's my take on it. There is not alot of coverage of this story anywhere. Any thoughts?

Jon.
anajonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 12:22 PM   #33
sdb4884
UM Meme Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by anajonda
I have a theory on this case. Basically it goes like this:

1. Gary Simmons was buying gas for gas stations during an oil crisis. The people I'm led to understand (from my own research. God bless google for being able to search newspapers) that he was buying it from were not very
nice people, and I'm guessing may have been connected to organized crime.

2. Due to the fact that he simply couldn't afford to pay for the gas anymore, Gary closed down 15 (of how many, I'm not sure) gas stations within a year of his death.

3. These same people who Gary was buying gas from were being investigated by congress for their practices (which weren't strictly legal) and it was specuiated at the time that Gary might be called to testify.

(here's where it gets interesting)

4. I believe Tom Dixon may have been tangled up with the same people. His photos (both of them) shown on the show are clearly from mug shots, so I feel this is a comfortable guess.

5. Tom may have owed these people $30,000, and was told that he could have the debt paid if he lured Gary with $30,000 into a phony business deal (or in this case, a horse sale). Strictly my guess.

6. Once this was done, these people may have killed Gary, and then possibly have killed Tom to ensure his silence and keep their money. Again, this is strictly my guess.

This could explain why Tom hasn't been seen since 1974. It could also explain how their mutual friend could have seen the horse Gary supposedly showed him. It also might explain a comment that Tom made to Gary's banker, that the $30,000 was to "Clear a debt". It's worth noting that for years (especially in the 70s and 80s) it was assumed that Tom never surfaced because he was thought to have been killed by the same people who killed Gary. That's the reason why an all-out manhunt never occurred for Tom after Gary's car was found.

Anyway, that's my take on it. There is not alot of coverage of this story anywhere. Any thoughts?

Jon.
Sounds plausible
sdb4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 02:20 PM   #34
soilentgreen
Forum Regular

It's possible; the private investigator hired by Simmons' family came to the same conclusion. The problem is the rumors about gas purchasing from illegal vendors were never officially substantiated. Simmons' secretary said that he purchased his gas from a major oil company. The head investigator at the time stated that the FBI could never come up with anything about the rumors. It's also not that hard to imagine that Dixon heard about Simmons' wealth via the horse show/sale grapevine (see below) and came up with the idea of kidnapping/murdering him under the pretense of looking at a horse.

Quote:
It could also explain how their mutual friend could have seen the horse Gary supposedly showed him. It also might explain a comment that Tom made to Gary's banker, that the $30,000 was to "Clear a debt".
Dixon and Simmons were members of the same horse association, although it was speculated that they had met for the first time that morning. Simmons' secretary heard him say to Dixon, "I don't remember you." Dixon at the time resided in Stilwell, KS. If there was a third party involved, they might have had ties with both Dixon and Simmons due to the horse association. Some comments from the same article below.

Quote:
Simmons had spoken previously of fearing "being kidnapped and forced to write checks for things" Compton said.

But Dixon, described as a "dabbler" whose occupations included carnival operator and job painter, was considered incapable of plotting Dixon's murder, Jackson said.

"We always believed there was a third party involved, because Tommy Dixon didn't have the smarts for this," he said.
Dixon did cash the check and obtained the cash from two banks in $100 bills.

If Simmons actually went to see the horse as the guy on UM later alleged, whose horse was it? If he already had fears of being kidnapped, why didn't he check Dixon out with the horse association? Most guys in Dixon's income bracket wouldn't have had that expensive of a horse in their possession.

Last edited by soilentgreen; 08-12-2015 at 04:27 PM.
soilentgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:18 AM   #35
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
It's worth noting that for years (especially in the 70s and 80s) it was assumed that Tom never surfaced because he was thought to have been killed by the same people who killed Gary. That's the reason why an all-out manhunt never occurred for Tom after Gary's car was found.

Jon.
I know this is an old post, and that it was from a one post wonder, but this is precisely what I think happened after rewatching this one again recently. It always felt odd to me that there was never a massive push into finding Dixon or Simmons (prior to his bones being found). Even after Simmons' remains were found, it doesn't seem like Dixon was pursued that feverishly. It's probably because the authorities had information which led them to believe that Dixon too was dead.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:56 AM   #36
James T

The guy playing Dixon looks incredibly familiar, is he a well established bit part Hollywood actor?
James T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 04:07 PM   #37
Huskerz85
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986 View Post
I know this is an old post, and that it was from a one post wonder, but this is precisely what I think happened after rewatching this one again recently. It always felt odd to me that there was never a massive push into finding Dixon or Simmons (prior to his bones being found). Even after Simmons' remains were found, it doesn't seem like Dixon was pursued that feverishly. It's probably because the authorities had information which led them to believe that Dixon too was dead.
If authorities had information that Dixon was dead......why not just confirm it and close the case?
Huskerz85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:56 AM   #38
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskerz85 View Post
If authorities had information that Dixon was dead......why not just confirm it and close the case?
I think they suspect he is dead, but without a body they cannot come out and say that's 100% what happened to him.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:54 AM   #39
MegtheEgg86

This story always gave me chills because while Tom Dixon seemed quite well known, he's presented as a rather elusive character in the segment itself. The elusive figures always creep me out--like the woman seen with the man in the Roxanne Jeeves case, or the "man in the military fatigues", or Chuck Brzezinski, the man wanted for questioning in the Stanley Gryziec case.

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 07:21 PM   #40
BiffMunson
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86 View Post
The elusive figures always creep me out.
For a small fee I will gladly be your elusive figure
BiffMunson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:09 PM   #41
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiffMunson View Post
For a small fee I will gladly be your elusive figure
Case in point.
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 01:55 AM   #42
larry510
Occasional Poster

I tried finding this segment on Amazon Prime but couldn't. Anyone know what episode it's on there?
larry510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 09:27 AM   #43
dynoguy88

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry510 View Post
I tried finding this segment on Amazon Prime but couldn't. Anyone know what episode it's on there?

Season 4 episode 21
dynoguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 10:36 PM   #44
larry510
Occasional Poster

Excellent! Watching it right now!
Old 06-29-2018, 11:06 PM   #45
larry510
Occasional Poster

Anyone else think it's very odd or even unlikely that his remains could have been in that cave for 17 years before being found? Surely there must be have been people in there before exploring. Kids in the neighborhood, hikers, etc. I know if I had lived around there as a kid I would have found it.