Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Lifetime Site / Lifetime Schedule / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

South Park 8 Day Marathon on Comedy Central; Classic Adult Swim Comedy Returns with Special
NBC Fall Pilot Review: I Feel Bad - Premieres Wednesday (Sept. 19); 70th Annual Primetime Emmy Award Winners
Married with Children Now on WGN America; black-ish Enters National Syndication and Free Sneakers Contest
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of September 17, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: ABC Orders Script for Designing Women Reboot; James Marsden and Ed Asner Cast in Netflix Series
Fri-Yay: A Look at the Upcoming Sitcom Slate; TV Guide's 1st Annual 100 Best Shows List
Dancing with the Stars Season 27 Cast Has Sitcom Stars; The Young Sheldon STEM Initiative
Critics' Choice Awards Set for January on The CW; IFC Sets New Episodes for Documentary Now!

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September)

The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season Step by Step - The Complete Second Season Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season

08/07 - Happy Endings - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
08/15 - A.P. Bio - Season One
08/28 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Five
08/28 - Man Seeking Woman - The Complete Third Season
09/04 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Season 12
09/04 - Mom - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Superstore - Season Three
09/04 - Young Sheldon - The Complete First Season
09/11 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season (Blu-ray)
09/11 - The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - People of Earth - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - Community - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
09/18 - Step by Step - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fourth Season
09/25 - Blondie - The Complete 1957 Television Series
09/25 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-20-2013, 01:38 AM   #61
wiseguy182

I just watched the City Confidential episode on this yesterday. Talked about how one witness was so afraid of Casteel that she moved to Florida. Also talked about how it is believed that Casteel's wife placed threatening phone calls to other witnesses the day after the murders. She had also sent several "Did you know your boyfriend is a killer?" type letters to her husband's mistress, then later claimed she did that because she wanted to scare the mistress off. The wife is a real piece of work.

It also offered up one possible reason Casteel was so stingy with the property. It said that people from this area aren't rich in the traditional sense, in that they don't have a lot of money, have huge homes or fancy cars, but they do own property. Apparently, property is a big deal there.

One conflicting thing though: in the UM segment, Richard Mason's wife talks about how she wasn't initially concerned they hadn't returned because it was a cloudy night and figures they couldn't have seen very well. But someone else, I think it was one of the other guys's wife, says it was a full moon out and you could see very well even at dark. Weird.
wiseguy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:01 AM   #62
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182
I just watched the City Confidential episode on this yesterday. Talked about how one witness was so afraid of Casteel that she moved to Florida. Also talked about how it is believed that Casteel's wife placed threatening phone calls to other witnesses the day after the murders. She had also sent several "Did you know your boyfriend is a killer?" type letters to her husband's mistress, then later claimed she did that because she wanted to scare the mistress off. The wife is a real piece of work.
I haven't seen the CC episode, but I did read the original court transcript some years ago. She's definitely a peach.

Quote:
It also offered up one possible reason Casteel was so stingy with the property. It said that people from this area aren't rich in the traditional sense, in that they don't have a lot of money, have huge homes or fancy cars, but they do own property. Apparently, property is a big deal there.
As an East Tennessean myself, I can confirm this is true. Property is often a family heirloom. It's common to see people living on 20-50 acres of land who for all intent and purpose can be classified as working poor.

As much as I find what Casteel did abhorrent, I can perfectly understand his mindset. While the homicidal tendency is very obviously not in everyone, property lines are sharply drawn and you don't wander across them. It's akin to walking into someone's house uninvited and propping your feet on the coffee table--and it doesn't matter if you "meant to do it" or not.

Also, it is a legitimate concern that you may be confronted with someone carrying a firearm. It would really surprise me if the three actually rode the ATVs with full knowledge that it was Casteel's property they were doing it on without asking him.

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:35 AM   #63
wiseguy182

Yeah. I think the wife should have been charged with aiding and ebetting, and/or being an accessory, but at least I can take comfort in knowing Frank will probably never see the light of day again.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:23 PM   #64
MissFit29
Forum Regular

Quote:
One conflicting thing though: in the UM segment, Richard Mason's wife talks about how she wasn't initially concerned they hadn't returned because it was a cloudy night and figures they couldn't have seen very well. But someone else, I think it was one of the other guys's wife, says it was a full moon out and you could see very well even at dark. Weird.
I always interpreted that statement as speculation - like Mrs. Mason was trying to come up with a reason why they hadn't returned. I never thought she said that it was cloudy - that MAYBE it was too cloudy for them to find their way back.
MissFit29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:56 PM   #65
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Yeah. I think the wife should have been charged with aiding and ebetting, and/or being an accessory, but at least I can take comfort in knowing Frank will probably never see the light of day again.
I agree. There's not a doubt in my mind that every single time an "unidentified" woman comes up in Casteel's saga--such as the woman blocking the road as recounted in the segment--it's her.

EDIT: Just caught this one today (we must run a day behind the mainland's schedule). Now pretty well convinced Susie Casteel is not really "all there".

Also, I miss the aquarium. Being going there since I was five years old.

Last edited by MegtheEgg86; 05-20-2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:34 AM   #66
wiseguy182

No, that was just a coincidence. I recorded most of the episodes a little while back and am editing out the commericals and making menus for a dvd set. This just happened to be the episode I worked on this weekend. And then I noticed they aired it on Monday.

I must say I got a kick out of hearing Paul mention Moon Pies.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:09 PM   #67
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86
Yeah, because that's the way the justice system works in this country. I guess David Dowaliby should be sitting behind bars for killing his daughter, or maybe Jeff Oberholtzer is long overdue for an arrest.
I know this is 4 years later, but dang, I must have caught Meg on a bad day!
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:17 PM   #68
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
I know this is 4 years later, but dang, I must have caught Meg on a bad day!
I guess so! LORD was I rude!

Sorry about that. Nothing but love, brother.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:11 AM   #69
Hambone2421

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86
That's pretty neat. It's extremely easy to get lost out there and very difficult to discern property lines (as in most of rural East Tennessee). The police were dead-on on the murderer being a local resident; no one else on the face of this earth would've been able to navigate those roads!
Meg, I know your from Tennessee, have you been to Signal Mountain or the area profiled in the segment?
Hambone2421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 02:26 AM   #70
DazzlerSparkler
Sharon Kinne Imposter
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to DazzlerSparkler

I think they did an episode of an I.D. show on this case earlier this year. May have been Swamp Murders? I can't remember.
Old 06-23-2015, 03:49 AM   #71
Thiussat
Forum Regular

Quote:
I haven't seen the case in years, but iirc wasn't Casteel a northern transplant? He wasn't born and raised in east TN if I remember correctly. I mention this because I always felt he didn't fit into the culture there and may not have understood it.

Now for a story: I used to own a lot of rural land in an adjoining state and used to have ATV riders tracking up the place a lot. That didn't bother me as much as people hunting, though. I was always worried about going out there and getting shot accidentally on my own property.

I had a gate blocking the entry from the main road. Someone ran through it with their car (or a big truck) and almost tore it down. This was one of those pretty hefty iron gates, so it took a lot of force to do the damage that was done. And, yes, it was intentional because the gate was far enough off the road that it couldn't have been an accident. I suspect someone in an old pickup either rammed it or tied a chain to it and attempted to pull it.

I had a key to the gate's lock inside an old pill bottle. I had the pill bottle hidden in a location about 20 yards from the gate. It was hidden well (no way you'd come across it by accident). The day I noticed that my gate had been damaged, I went to look for the key and it was gone. The pill bottle was there where I left it but the key was missing. I then noticed that the lock on the gate was open and someone had definitely used that key to unlock it. Someone had to have been watching me while I was out there previously; there's just no way they find that key otherwise. Keep in mind that this is an area where the closest house is probably a mile away.

The land was my dad's who passed it on to me after his death. Apparently before his death he was mad at one of his "neighbors" out there but I didn't know the whole story (my father didn't live out there, just had property). After he died, I listened to his answering machine and he had inadvertently let it record one of his calls to his friend. I heard my dad say "I am going to kill that SOB" referring to this same neighbor.

There were some characters in the area. My dad told me a story that once he was out there and a young woman came running down his road (he had a long driveway on the property) screaming for help. He said the hair on his neck stood up and he put his hand on his gun because he wasn't sure if it was an ambush and someone was using the girl as bait. IIRC, she claimed she had escaped from a car and ran to the nearest location for help. I don't remember whatever came of it or what happened after that. I heard this particular story second hand after my father's passing.

I also know there were pretty large marijuana growing operations in the area (just from local news and police busts and what not), so I know there were some shady characters out there.

My dad was a Vietnam combat vet (1st Cav) with PTSD. He was also a gun enthusiast and had a small arsenal. He often went out there just to get away and shoot his favorite guns (though he didn't hunt and didn't believe in killing animals). He told me once "never come out here unless you're carrying." I am not sure what prompted him to say that and I didn't ask.

Eventually I got tired of the trespassers and vandals so I just sold the property. Someone out there really didn't like us trying to keep the land private and I got tired of worrying about it.

Moral of the story, people in rural locations take their property seriously. I can see how Casteel was ticked off at trespassers, but that is no excuse to gun them down (especially 3 of them -- that's definite premeditation).

I personally never cared about the ATV riders. I just didn't like the fact that someone kept messing with my gate. (And what's funny about it is that any ATV could have made it easily around the gate). So whoever did it just did it to send a message.
DISCLAIMER: All of my posts are opinions based strictly on my viewing of the "Unsolved Mysteries" television show and should in no way reflect or imply that I have any intimate knowledge of any of the cases presented. Everything I say is merely my opinion based on my viewing of the show.
Thiussat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 06:25 AM   #72
Nickolas086
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiussat
I haven't seen the case in years, but iirc wasn't Casteel a northern transplant? He wasn't born and raised in east TN if I remember correctly. I mention this because I always felt he didn't fit into the culture there and may not have understood it.

Now for a story: I used to own a lot of rural land in an adjoining state and used to have ATV riders tracking up the place a lot. That didn't bother me as much as people hunting, though. I was always worried about going out there and getting shot accidentally on my own property.

I had a gate blocking the entry from the main road. Someone ran through it with their car (or a big truck) and almost tore it down. This was one of those pretty hefty iron gates, so it took a lot of force to do the damage that was done. And, yes, it was intentional because the gate was far enough off the road that it couldn't have been an accident. I suspect someone in an old pickup either rammed it or tied a chain to it and attempted to pull it.

I had a key to the gate's lock inside an old pill bottle. I had the pill bottle hidden in a location about 20 yards from the gate. It was hidden well (no way you'd come across it by accident). The day I noticed that my gate had been damaged, I went to look for the key and it was gone. The pill bottle was there where I left it but the key was missing. I then noticed that the lock on the gate was open and someone had definitely used that key to unlock it. Someone had to have been watching me while I was out there previously; there's just no way they find that key otherwise. Keep in mind that this is an area where the closest house is probably a mile away.

The land was my dad's who passed it on to me after his death. Apparently before his death he was mad at one of his "neighbors" out there but I didn't know the whole story (my father didn't live out there, just had property). After he died, I listened to his answering machine and he had inadvertently let it record one of his calls to his friend. I heard my dad say "I am going to kill that SOB" referring to this same neighbor.

There were some characters in the area. My dad told me a story that once he was out there and a young woman came running down his road (he had a long driveway on the property) screaming for help. He said the hair on his neck stood up and he put his hand on his gun because he wasn't sure if it was an ambush and someone was using the girl as bait. IIRC, she claimed she had escaped from a car and ran to the nearest location for help. I don't remember whatever came of it or what happened after that. I heard this particular story second hand after my father's passing.

I also know there were pretty large marijuana growing operations in the area (just from local news and police busts and what not), so I know there were some shady characters out there.

My dad was a Vietnam combat vet (1st Cav) with PTSD. He was also a gun enthusiast and had a small arsenal. He often went out there just to get away and shoot his favorite guns (though he didn't hunt and didn't believe in killing animals). He told me once "never come out here unless you're carrying." I am not sure what prompted him to say that and I didn't ask.

Eventually I got tired of the trespassers and vandals so I just sold the property. Someone out there really didn't like us trying to keep the land private and I got tired of worrying about it.

Moral of the story, people in rural locations take their property seriously. I can see how Casteel was ticked off at trespassers, but that is no excuse to gun them down (especially 3 of them -- that's definite premeditation).

I personally never cared about the ATV riders. I just didn't like the fact that someone kept messing with my gate. (And what's funny about it is that any ATV could have made it easily around the gate). So whoever did it just did it to send a message.
Where I'm currently living in the north a lot of land from farms and the woods a lot people just passing through use it as their dumping ground for garbage, old cars, and boats. They make sure to care of everything so nothing can be trace back to the dumpers. Sometimes they do it right in the beginning of a well develop neighbourhood. I'm just surprise they havn't found a body yet. Sometimes you get your serial dumpers who can keep coming back they're easy to find and report to the police. A lot of them are people who are city transplants or tourist coming through for the weekend.
Nickolas086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:41 AM   #73
DALLASTEXAN!!

Good thread going here. I appreciate the candor of the folks that have lived in the country. I've lived in the big city or suburban areas for most of my life now and it is a lot different. My early years as a child I lived on my family's ranch with my grandmother and spent most summers there as a kid. It was a magical place for me as a child. When uninvited people came by it was always to turn around or they were lost and needed directions. Now my grandma had a gun rack so When that happened it always entered my mind because it's just a different mindset.

With that said if I saw atv riders ride onto our ranch I don't think shooting them would have happened. Maybe confronting yes. And my question would be were they indeed trespassing? In our ranch it is completely gated to include the driveway that we mostly left open if at home. So you couldn't really accidentally trespass...and I don't see such a scenario being possible there.

The land dumping would be a major problem. That's not cool and despite the gates someone recently did that on our ranch. It takes a lot of work to clean up and it is hurtful especially if it was someone that knows you...
DALLASTEXAN!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 03:31 AM   #74
wiseguy182

I'm not exactly sure where this thread is going, but I live out in the country in the north and we've never had a problem with any of that stuff. My neighbors allow my brother to hunt on their property after he asked their permission. Dogs and other animals frequently roam from one property to another and for the most part, nobody cares. During the first few weeks of us living there, a lamb from a neighboring house wandered onto our property and started eating the leaves off our trees. I found it...rather amusing to be honest. We had just came from living in the city where most of the townsfolk were ritzy snobs, and one of our neighbors used to like to eavesdrop on us.

There are all sorts of amusing stories I have to tell about animals in the country. Sometimes, the horses from one of the neighboring houses would come over and stand at the bird feeder and eat the birdseed! Scared all the birds away. My black lab would chase them and they would run from her even though she was way smaller than them.

It was all in good fun.

But in regards to the killings, they seem totally senseless to me. Big deal there was some littering on his property, that seems like the kind of thing George Zimmerman would call 911 about. I don't think Casteel had a pre-existing issue with the 3 men he killed, but if he did, the matter could have been easily cleared up by him telling them not to come on his property anymore, and if for some reason that didn't work, getting the police involved. And while I can't tell for certain, it appeared Casteel's property was quite vast, so if there are some issues with noise or trespassing from the ATV's or whatnot at the far end of his property line, I doubt it could have been that much of a disturbance to him. This seems to be an issue of Casteel taking a trivial issue way too seriously and not wanting anyone on *HIS* property.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:17 PM   #75
DALLASTEXAN!!

Quote:
I'm not exactly sure where this thread is going, but I live out in the country in the north and we've never had a problem with any of that stuff. My neighbors allow my brother to hunt on their property after he asked their permission. Dogs and other animals frequently roam from one property to another and for the most part, nobody cares. During the first few weeks of us living there, a lamb from a neighboring house wandered onto our property and started eating the leaves off our trees. I found it...rather amusing to be honest. We had just came from living in the city where most of the townsfolk were ritzy snobs, and one of our neighbors used to like to eavesdrop on us.

There are all sorts of amusing stories I have to tell about animals in the country. Sometimes, the horses from one of the neighboring houses would come over and stand at the bird feeder and eat the birdseed! Scared all the birds away. My black lab would chase them and they would run from her even though she was way smaller than them.

It was all in good fun.

But in regards to the killings, they seem totally senseless to me. Big deal there was some littering on his property, that seems like the kind of thing George Zimmerman would call 911 about. I don't think Casteel had a pre-existing issue with the 3 men he killed, but if he did, the matter could have been easily cleared up by him telling them not to come on his property anymore, and if for some reason that didn't work, getting the police involved. And while I can't tell for certain, it appeared Casteel's property was quite vast, so if there are some issues with noise or trespassing from the ATV's or whatnot at the far end of his property line, I doubt it could have been that much of a disturbance to him. This seems to be an issue of Casteel taking a trivial issue way too seriously and not wanting anyone on *HIS* property.
I agree totally....really nothing other than true self defense warrants shooting someone like that and we all know the story.

sorry to get off topic. the animal part is funny. We had animals too and they are the funniest creatures to watch. Cows and chickens in particular are about as dumb as it gets but I love them. I guess our ranch we didn't have any neighbors that we knew or that were close enough aside from 1. And he actually did not care if we went on his land because he knew us. Every now and then a sheriff would come by and look for dumpers. Dumping was a big deal because people would leave their cars, dump appliances, bulk etc that aren't exactly easy to dispose of. People would dump in our nearby creeks too which sucks.
DALLASTEXAN!! is offline   Reply With Quote