Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Spin-offs and One-Year Wonders

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 19, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: ABC Buys Rural Comedy From "Liberal Redneck" Trae Crowder; Crossover Event Planned for Big Bang Theory and Young Sheldon
Fri-Yay: An Appreciation for Mike Schur's Comedies; IFC Acquires Pee-wee's Playhouse
Drunk History and Corporate Return in January; Jim Gaffigan Returns with Comedy Central Special
The Dick Van Dyke Show and I Love Lucy in Color on Dec. 14; The CW Sets January 2019 Premiere Dates
getTV 2018 Holiday Marathons Schedule; truTV Comedy Returns for 3rd Season
Freeform and ABC's 2018 25 Days of Christmas Schedule; The CW Orders Full Seasons of All Freshman Series

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)

The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection Alice - The Complete Eighth Season Step by Step - The Complete Third Season

10/02 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 6th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 7th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 8th Season
10/02 - Ghosted - The Complete First Season
10/02 - The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One / Volume Two
10/02 - Police Squad! - TV and Movie Collection
10/02 - Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection
10/16 - Community - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/23 - Alice - The Complete Eighth Season
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Two
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Three
10/31 - The Bad News Bears - The Complete Series - All 26 Episodes
11/01 - Episodes - Season 5
11/05 - Robin Williams - Comic Genius (includes Mork & Mindy)
11/06 - American Dad! - Volume 13
11/20 - Step by Step - The Complete Third Season
11/27 - What I Like About You - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 11-02-2014, 02:18 PM   #211
Prince Michael
Forum Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by king of comedy
Gibby would have been better than Sam and Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward216
Yeah maybe. It's too bad Nickelodeon didn't go ahead with it . I like Noah Munck . He seems like a nice kid with a sensible outlook on life about him.
I thought Noah Munck was all right, but he always seemed to be overshadowed by Carly Shay ( Miranda Cosgrove ), Sam Puckett ( Jennette McCurdy ), and Freddie Benson ( Nathan Kress ) . I don't know what they could do with Gibby, even if it focused on Noah Munck's character taking care of a bunch of disadvantaged little kids . I liked Sam and Cat . I'm always sold on a TV show featuring two pretty girls, I liked Sam's saucy personality combined with Cat's sweet disposition, and it was a spinoff of iCarly and Victorious .
Prince Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:28 PM   #212
sixfingers
John Alan Elson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason3fc
...I actually did think Gary and his cat were cool.
I wish I had a cat like that!
sixfingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 08:38 PM   #213
sixfingers
John Alan Elson

Maybe they could have another re-union show in which Rhoda comes down with a terminal illness but then beats the odds by living several more years when they told her she had only three months ...

Nah, that would never happen to Rhoda!
sixfingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 01:07 PM   #214
MacLeaper
Child of the 80s

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason3fc

...I actually did think Gary and his cat were cool.

I wish I had a cat like that!
Definitely! Early Edition is an awesome show! (But it's not a spinoff. And I doubt this is what was originally being discussed- but it's the first thing I thought of when I saw this. )
"Ha, I kill me!" - ALF
"I am The Way, The Truth and The Life. No man comes to The Father but by Me."- Jesus Christ (John 14:6)
MacLeaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 07:08 PM   #215
JamesG
Freakshow
Forum Celebrity

It was reported around September 2014 that David Faustino was pitching a "Married... with Children" spin-off to the networks.

Christina Applegate then said at Katey Sagal's Hollywood Walk of Fame ceremony, "We're going to do something with Dave maybe. I don't know if it will be in character. But I don't really know. I don't know what that's going to be. I don't know if I'm allowed to speak on that at all. So I should probably stop talking about it right now!"

Faustino later said at a 2015 Red Carpet event that Sony "was exited" about the project. However, Sony denied involvement saying that they have no deals with Faustino.

In May 2016, Faustino mentioned that Netflix may be a good spot for it but there were legal issues involved.

In a recent interview with AOL BUILD, Ed O’Neill (currently on Modern Family) said that the spin-off "was finished" at this time.

"David Faustino pitched an idea to Sony about Bud moving back in the old house and being divorced and his ex-wife moves in, too, with his best friend and they’re struggling and Al and Peg are in Vegas – they won the lottery.

And that was the idea, but I think they hit some legal problems. People who have to sign off on it wouldn’t, so I don’t think that’s going to happen. And Katey Sagal and I would only have been able to do one or two a year because we’re contracted – well, she was, now I certainly am. But it doesn’t look like that’s going to happen. But you never know.
"
JamesG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 12:26 PM   #216
MrCleveland
Drew Carey from Hell
Forum Veteran

Gimme a Break! tried to have a spin-off, but it never went anywhere. Here's the three attempts...

Speculated Appropriate Title: "Max"

The first spin-of attempt occured at the end of season two in 1983 during the episode "Nell And The Kid" in which Nell goes to Max's Deli and she and Max Green (Don Rickles) catch an ophaned girl named Danny stealing money and food. Instead of the Chief taking her in to custody, Max decides to adopt her, and has her work to pay back the money and food she stole. The episode soon only focuses on Max and Danny at the deli and then Max Green's slummy bachelor apartment and the interaction between him and Danny, who tries to steal food from Max's fridge and may leave on the run, yet Max catches her. In the end, he forgives her, and tells her he was never as rich as he is now that he owns his own deli, goes into a talk about how tough he and his family had it growing up, and also touches upon his deceased wife. She finally sees eye to eye with him, and thanks God for everyone around her, letting him know she also thanks God for him.

Speculated Appropriate Titles "The Center"

The second spin-off attempt occured at the end of season three in 1984 during the episode "The Center". The episode only includes Nell and Grandpa from the main cast, and begins with Nell telling Grandpa to go the senior citizen center because it has a mess of women which he agrees. At The Center, it is informed by Lilly(Gwen Verdon) that the teen youth center burnt to the ground,on account of the teens who started it according to the character Andy (Ray Walston) and the seniors must share their center with the kids from the youth center. At first, everyone hates the idea, but then they all decide to have a dance there consisting of both punk rock and old time music from the early 1900s. The only other storyline in the episode consisted of the activities director Lilly, a four time widow, having a crush on one of the senior members named Andy, and how he refused to go to her house for dinner many times and how she wants to cook him dinner aside from their quarrel of how everyone but Andy cooperated with how the two generations, the seniors and the youths, decide to work together and have one dance. When one of the teens, Russell, a guy in love with another teenager named Dianna, handcuffs them together and traps them in a closet, all is resolved when Andy brings up his deceased wife Maybelle, and how he's still not over her, but agrees to go to Lilly's place if she invites him again. One of the senior citizens at the center was Papa Jack Jenkins played by Whittman Mayo in the episode.

Speculated Appropriate Title "Two Guys From Greece"

The final spin-of attempt (that may or may not have been a spin-off), which has at one point years ago been touched upon by at least a few people who were fans of the series, was at the end of season 5 in 1986 in the season finale of season five in the episode "The Purse Snatcher". The episode dealt with a Greek restaurant called "Two Guys From Greece" and the two guys who worked at it, Nicky, and his friend Tyler. In the episode, Nell decides to have lunch there just to try a new hip place in town and realizes her purse had been stolen and believes it was a fellow customer whom the two guys had her sit with that she took a liking to. Later, when that same guy comes back, the two boys try to make it certain that the guy stole her purse by putting another purse out to be stolen, along with money from the cash register. In the end, the boss, Mr. Pappalardo, fires his son Nicky's assistant/friend Tyler, and Nell realizes she didn't lose her purse afterall, making Mr. Papallardo re-hire the boy. Overall, this episode had the feel of "Charles In Charge" in a way and the two guys interacted and gave the feel sort of how Charles and Buddy interacted, one being the brains, the other the sidekick. Although not noted on several Gimme A Break! websites online as a spin-off attempt, this episode most likely could have been a tester for a new series as it aired at the end of the season (which is when tester episodes usually aired for new fall series. The episode's main plotline was about Nell's stolen purse, but went into the relationship of Mr. Pappalardo, his son, Nikki, his son's friend, and the establishment that Mr. Pappalardo owned and made the boys operate. In a few scenes, like the episodes "Nell And The Kid" and "The Center", the episode does not rely on any Gimme A Break! cast members, and just focuses on the two boys or the two boys and Mr. Pappalardo.

Lee Hazlewood (1929-2007)
MrCleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 01:34 AM   #217
treky
star trek fan
Forum Veteran

this is such a long thread that I'm sure this has been mentioned but there was talk of making a spin-off of ALL IN THE FAMILY in the 70s, about Father Majeskey (I think that's his name-you know the priest that Bernard Hughes played-remember Edith accidentally dented hi car once with a can of cling peaches (in heavy syrup) or as she said "a can of HM-HMS"

Granny: "How much fer one o' them red diamonds?"
clerk: "Madam, those are rubies."
Granny: "OK ask her kin we buy one offa her."
clerk: " The ruby I am talking about is not a lady."
Granny: "Lissen, how she got them diamonds is her business. I'm just sayin' ask her kin we buy one from her."
treky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 01:42 AM   #218
treky
star trek fan
Forum Veteran

when George Reeves death in 1959 cancelled plans for another season of THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN they were going to make a spin-off series about Superboy. (I used to have a VHS tape showing some of the screen tests, lighting tests, etc. with various actors for the roles of Clark Kent/Superboy and Lana Lang as well as interviews the producers did with them.
treky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 01:38 PM   #219
Milhouse77
Occasional Poster

It's too bad MTV never considered a Daria spinoff for Jane Lane. I would have watched it in a heartbeat. Jane could have been lead singer/guitarist for a grunge metal band with Trent on lead vocals--all they would have needed is a bass player and drummer. [IMG]zimbio.com/photos/Katy+Perry[/IMG]
Milhouse77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 02:15 PM   #220
king of comedy

I'd watch too. She would be on the road and have great adventures.
king of comedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 08:42 PM   #221
JamesG
Freakshow
Forum Celebrity

Another more recent one... ABC Family's (Freeform) "Young & Hungry" was due to get a spin-off starring Aimee Carrero, Ashley Tisdale, Steve Talley, and Ryan Pinkston called "Young & Sofia".

Carrero was going to reprise her "Young" role as Sofia Rodriguez who works for the overbearing Logan Rawlings (Ashley Tisdale) at Click’d Media. Talley plays Kendrick, a journalist with Click’d Media whom Sofia is immediately intrigued by. Pinkston plays Leo, the pop culture editor at Click’d Media who is competitive with Kendrick.

The planted spin-off pilot aired as the eighth episode of "Young & Hungry's" fourth season and Freeform announced in January 2017 that they were not moving forward with "Young & Sofia".
Old 05-07-2017, 10:36 AM   #222
D-Dey
Win The War!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milhouse77
It's too bad MTV never considered a Daria spinoff for Jane Lane. I would have watched it in a heartbeat. Jane could have been lead singer/guitarist for a grunge metal band with Trent on lead vocals--all they would have needed is a bass player and drummer. [IMG]zimbio.com/photos/Katy+Perry[/IMG]
There was supposed to be one about Mystik Spiral. Evidently it's on the Daria; The Complete Series box set, but I never got around to watching that.

CORRECTION: It's actually a download of the script for the pilot.

Last edited by D-Dey; 05-07-2017 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Correction update
D-Dey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 04:39 PM   #223
JamesG
Freakshow
Forum Celebrity

Around when ABC's "Revenge" was ending in 2015, there was talk of a Nolan spin-off w/ Gabriel Mann and the possibility of some "Revenge" characters appearing on another ABC show, "Kingmakers".

The "Kingmakers" pilot was produced by "Revenge" producer Sallie Patrick and starred Kristin Bauer van Straten, Adrian Pasdar, Michael Trevino, and Colin Woodell. ABC passed on it for the 2015-16 season.

"Revenge" showrunner Sunil Nayar said at the time, "The idea had been floated that a character or two from Revenge could show up on her [Sallie Patrick] show. The idea was to build the two shows in the same universe."
Old 07-13-2017, 04:59 PM   #224
JamesG
Freakshow
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big3sCompanyFan
That would have bombed. Female prisons aren't exactly exciting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Damage
That may be true considering "The L Word" was suppose to have a spinoff about a female prison and Showtime decided not to pick it up.

And now, some years after these posts, female prison show "Orange is the New Black" has become a hit.

"The L Word" female prison spin-off was called "The Farm", which also happens to be the name of the passed-on Rainn Wilson "Office" spin-off. Now there are talks of an "L Word" revival.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:00 PM   #225
MikaelaArsenault
Susan Lucci & Taran Noah Smith
Forum Veteran

Another The Amanda Show spinoff called Moody's Point

And many others too.

"Ciao, baby!" - John Larroquette as Dan Fielding

Goodnight, sweet prince. Harry Anderson 1952-2018

Errrrrrruuuuuuuuahhh?? - Tim Allen
MikaelaArsenault is online now   Reply With Quote