Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Spin-offs and One-Year Wonders

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

The Goldbergs Coming to TV Land; grown-ish Returns in January on Freeform
South Park 8 Day Marathon on Comedy Central; Classic Adult Swim Comedy Returns with Special
NBC Fall Pilot Review: I Feel Bad - Premieres Wednesday (Sept. 19); 70th Annual Primetime Emmy Award Winners
Married with Children Now on WGN America; black-ish Enters National Syndication and Free Sneakers Contest
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of September 17, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: ABC Orders Script for Designing Women Reboot; James Marsden and Ed Asner Cast in Netflix Series
Fri-Yay: A Look at the Upcoming Sitcom Slate; TV Guide's 1st Annual 100 Best Shows List
Dancing with the Stars Season 27 Cast Has Sitcom Stars; The Young Sheldon STEM Initiative

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September)

The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season Step by Step - The Complete Second Season Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season

08/07 - Happy Endings - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
08/15 - A.P. Bio - Season One
08/28 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Five
08/28 - Man Seeking Woman - The Complete Third Season
09/04 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Season 12
09/04 - Mom - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Superstore - Season Three
09/04 - Young Sheldon - The Complete First Season
09/11 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season (Blu-ray)
09/11 - The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - People of Earth - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - Community - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
09/18 - Step by Step - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fourth Season
09/25 - Blondie - The Complete 1957 Television Series
09/25 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 07-23-2014, 07:24 AM   #196
king of comedy

Halle Berry came back with a much better show which is on now call Extanct.
king of comedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 01:34 AM   #197
Joe M. Davis
Frequent Poster

The Three Stooges proposed several TV shows, many of which never made it beyond planning stages.

"Jerks of All Trade" (1949) would have found the Stooges (Moe, Larry, and Shemp) taking on a different job each week (and naturally failing at it). A pilot was shot in front of a live audience. It was produced by Phil Berle (Milton's brother) for ABC. Columbia Pictures, the studio the Stooges were still making films for, threatened to sue out of fear that the TV series would compete with the theatrical short film series.

Shortly before Shemp died, two friends of his were in talk with the Stooges of another TV pilot.

Sometime after Joe Besser joined the act, the Stooges considered quitting Columbia and doing a TV series that would parody the News (yes, this would have been the original "Weekend Update).

In 1958, Norman Mauer (Moe's son-in-law, and the Stooges' future manager) proposed a part live action/part animated series called "Stooge Time". The half hour series would have featured Moe, Larry, and Curly Joe DeRita in two live action segments, and two animated segments (one of which would have focused on the Stooges' teenage sons). The animation was going to be done by Maurer's own invention - Artiscope - a Rotoscoping machine. The machine was able to recreate live actors in animated form all by itself (it actually worked; you can see it in action in "The Three Stooges in Orbit"). None of the networks believed Maurer's invention would work.

In 1962, Maurer tried to sell another part live action-part animated series - "The Three Stooges Scrapbook". Shot in color, the pilot was essentially a Stooge sitcom (complete with laughtrack), with a five minute cartoon thrown in at the end. The series was never sold, as all three major networks were unable to find a suitable timeslot for it (the only one available was after 10:00pm, when the Stooges' kid fans were sleeping). The original pilot is lost, but it was split up into two theatrical shorts (one of which is on YouTube). Footage was also reworked into "The Three Stooges in Orbit".

During the late 60's, Maurer proposed two Stooges game shows. "Obstacle Course" would have the Stooges (as hosts) accompanying a young contestant down a giant sized game board, and go through a kid friendly obstacle course (shades of "Double Dare"). "Junior Olympics" would have found the Stooges introducing contestants from all over the country, who would participate in various sporting events each week.

The last proposed series (while the Stooges were still alive) was 1969's "Kook's Tour". The idea was that each week, the Stooges would travel to some part of the world, and get into some sort of comedic situation. It would also double as a travelogue. A pilot was filmed, but the series was never sold. Larry Fine had a stroke towards the end of production, leaving Maurer to pull a "Fake Shemp" by doubling for Larry in some scenes.

During the '70's, Maurer proposed a few Stooges cartoon series (only one of which - The Robonic Stooges - got off the ground). "Super Stooges" would have depicted the Stooges as superheroes. "The Little Stooges" would have focused on kid versions of the Stooges (this was actually proposed long before the Muppet Babies craze caught on). Hanna-Barbera briefly considered producing the latter series.
Joe M. Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:04 PM   #198
JamesG
Freakshow
Forum Celebrity

Some More Recent Ones:

- Showtime scrapped their plans for a "Californication" spin-off starring Maggie Grace.

She had an arc on the 6th season as a Catholic school girl-turned-groupie who befriended Hank Moody.

- There was word that Adrian Pasdar was going to star in a "Castle" spin-off back in 2011. He had a guest arc as hard-boiled FBI agent Mark Fallon.

Pasdar mentioned in an interview that he received a "nice letter" from "Castle" creator Andrew Marlowe that said, "How about we do a season ender with Fallon, sort of a backdoor pilot spinoff?"

Nothing ever happened.

- "NCIS: LA" was due to get its own spin-off "NCIS: Red". Kim Raver and John Corbett were to star as members of a mobile investigation team who work and live together as they travel the country solving crimes.

CBS entertainment president Nina Tassler said in 2013, "Sometimes spinoffs work and sometimes they don't. Protecting the franchise was really important."

However, "NCIS: New Orleans" (spun from NCIS) is set to launch September 23, 2014.

- The CW recently passed on "Supernatural: Bloodlines". It was to star Melissa Roxburgh, Lucien Laviscount, Sean Faris and Nathaniel Buzolic.

The series was described as a “sweeping drama about the various mafia-esque monster families that, unknowingly to humans, run the underbelly of Chicago and who are being tracked by a newly minted hunter who’s trying to stop them and rid Chicago of anything or anyone supernatural.

The CW president Mark Pedowitz said, "We felt that Bloodlines just didn’t quite get there. I've already spoken to the creator and the studio. They know that we want to develop once more next season, a Supernatural spinoff. What it is and what it isn't yet is still in the air."

Last edited by JamesG; 08-03-2014 at 04:20 PM.
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:56 AM   #199
treky
star trek fan
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M. Davis
The Three Stooges proposed several TV shows, many of which never made it beyond planning stages.

"Jerks of All Trade" (1949) would have found the Stooges (Moe, Larry, and Shemp) taking on a different job each week (and naturally failing at it). A pilot was shot in front of a live audience. It was produced by Phil Berle (Milton's brother) for ABC. Columbia Pictures, the studio the Stooges were still making films for, threatened to sue out of fear that the TV series would compete with the theatrical short film series.

Shortly before Shemp died, two friends of his were in talk with the Stooges of another TV pilot.

Sometime after Joe Besser joined the act, the Stooges considered quitting Columbia and doing a TV series that would parody the News (yes, this would have been the original "Weekend Update).

In 1958, Norman Mauer (Moe's son-in-law, and the Stooges' future manager) proposed a part live action/part animated series called "Stooge Time". The half hour series would have featured Moe, Larry, and Curly Joe DeRita in two live action segments, and two animated segments (one of which would have focused on the Stooges' teenage sons). The animation was going to be done by Maurer's own invention - Artiscope - a Rotoscoping machine. The machine was able to recreate live actors in animated form all by itself (it actually worked; you can see it in action in "The Three Stooges in Orbit"). None of the networks believed Maurer's invention would work.

In 1962, Maurer tried to sell another part live action-part animated series - "The Three Stooges Scrapbook". Shot in color, the pilot was essentially a Stooge sitcom (complete with laughtrack), with a five minute cartoon thrown in at the end. The series was never sold, as all three major networks were unable to find a suitable timeslot for it (the only one available was after 10:00pm, when the Stooges' kid fans were sleeping). The original pilot is lost, but it was split up into two theatrical shorts (one of which is on YouTube). Footage was also reworked into "The Three Stooges in Orbit".

During the late 60's, Maurer proposed two Stooges game shows. "Obstacle Course" would have the Stooges (as hosts) accompanying a young contestant down a giant sized game board, and go through a kid friendly obstacle course (shades of "Double Dare"). "Junior Olympics" would have found the Stooges introducing contestants from all over the country, who would participate in various sporting events each week.

The last proposed series (while the Stooges were still alive) was 1969's "Kook's Tour". The idea was that each week, the Stooges would travel to some part of the world, and get into some sort of comedic situation. It would also double as a travelogue. A pilot was filmed, but the series was never sold. Larry Fine had a stroke towards the end of production, leaving Maurer to pull a "Fake Shemp" by doubling for Larry in some scenes.

During the '70's, Maurer proposed a few Stooges cartoon series (only one of which - The Robonic Stooges - got off the ground). "Super Stooges" would have depicted the Stooges as superheroes. "The Little Stooges" would have focused on kid versions of the Stooges (this was actually proposed long before the Muppet Babies craze caught on). Hanna-Barbera briefly considered producing the latter series.
I'm a big fan of the Stooges and I only knew about a couple of those.

one thing you didn't say about KOOKS TOUR though-it would have been Moe, Larry & Curly-Joe playing themselves; in retirement and taking a trip around the world.

Also 2 of these-JERKS OF ALL TRADES and KOOKS TOUR-are on DVD.

Granny: "How much fer one o' them red diamonds?"
clerk: "Madam, those are rubies."
Granny: "OK ask her kin we buy one offa her."
clerk: " The ruby I am talking about is not a lady."
Granny: "Lissen, how she got them diamonds is her business. I'm just sayin' ask her kin we buy one from her."
treky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 03:28 PM   #200
JamesG
Freakshow
Forum Celebrity

NBC passed on "The Office" spin-off "The Farm" that was to star Rainn Wilson.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:24 PM   #201
JamesG
Freakshow
Forum Celebrity

During the final season of "Entourage", Kevin Dillon's character Johnny Chase was voicing Johnny the Gorilla in the adult animated show "Johnny's Bananas".

Creator Doug Ellin brought on animators from "The Simpsons" and "Family Guy" to work on the show-within-the-show as some scenes were to be shown during "Entourage".

Ellin said, "I'd like to launch a full show of it after we finish this last season. HBO would get first dibs." Nothing ever happened w/ the "Johnny's Bananas" show.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:24 AM   #202
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Proposed spin offs that never happened
TMC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:40 AM   #203
king of comedy

The Simpsons spoofed spinoffs in 1 episode.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:02 AM   #204
D-Dey
Win The War!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG
The "Beavis and Butthead" spin-off "Daria" had its own spin-off written but it never got off of the ground.

The proposed "Daria" spin-off was to be centered on the Mystik Spiral band; the grunge rock band featured on the show. Daria had romantic relations with the band's lead Trent Lane.

The script for the never-before-seen Mystik Spiral spin-off was released with the "Daria" complete series DVD.
I have a copy of the Daria complete series DVD. I should look for the Mystik Spiral pilot script.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M. Davis
The Disney Channel series That's So Raven at one time planned to give the character Donna Cabonna her own series. It was to have focused on Cabonna and her new intern Symóne (an obvious reference to Raven Symóne).
Did I mention the other proposed "That's So Raven" spin-off called "I Know Lindy," starring Alyson Stoner and Allie Grant from the episode "Goin' Hollywood?" Stoner was to play Ally Parker, a tween actress on a Happy Days-type sitcom who tries to adjust to living a normal kid life with the help of her socially awkward cousin played by Grant. The show was supposed to be called "I Know Lindy," because here character's name was Lindy, something or other. I'm going to have to get a copy from iTunes.

Anyway, unlike "Sam & Cat," the other iCarly spin-off "Gibby" never aired. It was supposed to involve Noah Munck's character taking care of a bunch of disadvantaged little kids.

Last edited by D-Dey; 08-18-2014 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Responding to another post, and adding more info
D-Dey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 01:06 AM   #205
Edward216

I think the spinoffs of The Facts Of Life would've been very interesting, since The Facts Of Life was itself a spinoff. Edna Garrett had been the Drummonds' housekeeper on Diff'rent Strokes. And I remember the character of Tootie was on at least one (maybe two) episodes of Diff'rent Strokes also. Arnold had a crush on her. A spinoff of a spinoff, I don't remember if that's been done before, does anybody else know?

I didn't read through the whole thread so I apologize if this one's been mentioned. There was going to be a Gilmore Girls spinoff series for Rory's bad boy boyfriend Jess. I've seen the episode of Gilmore Girls where most of the regular cast doesn't appear and Jess has run off from Stars Hollow to go out to California in search of his birth father and there he meets him and some other rather interesting characters. This was the introduction of characters that would've been on that show and a jumping off point for the beginning of it. But the network lost interest in it and it never happened. I think after that the character of Jess is mentioned a couple of time on Gilmore Girls before he disappears completely and he's never mentioned or seen again. Milo Ventimiglia who played Jess would eventually go on to appear in the TV series Heroes.

Ed.
Edward216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:36 PM   #206
Edward216

Deleted. I deleted this reply after I noticed somebody else already mentioned Sam and Cat, and Gibby.

Ed.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:27 AM   #207
king of comedy

Gibby would have been better than Sam and Cat.
Old 11-02-2014, 12:54 AM   #208
Edward216

Yeah maybe. It's too bad Nickelodeon didn't go ahead with it, I like Noah Munck. He seems like a nice kid with a sensible outlook on life about him.

Ed.

Last edited by Edward216; 11-02-2014 at 02:46 AM.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:55 PM   #209
Prince Michael
Forum Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulus
After The Six Million Dollar Man spun off The Bionic Woman there was word that ANOTHER Spin-Off was being proposed called The Bionic Boy. The Pilot aired as a Two-Part Episode on The Six Million Dollar Man, but that's as far as it got.
I remember the episode with the bionic boy . His name was Andy Sheffield, and he was played by Vincent Van Patten . You have to wonder what they could do with The Bionic Boy that they couldn't do with The Six Million Dollar Man and The Bionic Woman . Would that much bionic action have gotten repetitive after a while ? If there was more interest in Andy Sheffield, would there have been a bionic girl ? I remember an episode of The Bionic Woman that featured a bionic dog . He was a German shepherd, or some such . Was this another possible spinoff ? I know they did a lot with Lassie .

There was one episode of The Bob Newhart Show where Emily Hartley ( Suzanne Pleshette ) made friends with an old woman who was fifty years behind the times, and in danger of being considered mentally incompetent . Emily was working with her so she could trick a psychologist into thinking she was normal . At one point, they were reviewing what they covered, and the old lady said "Bionic ... bionic what ?" . Emily said "Oh, bionic anything !" .

Last edited by Prince Michael; 06-16-2016 at 09:05 PM.
Prince Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 03:02 PM   #210
Prince Michael
Forum Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by treky
I seriously doubt they could use [ a Captain Kirk -- Mr . Spock -- Gary Seven crossover ] as the plot of a two -- hour movie.

You and I aren't movie writers, so we don't have to know what they could do with a movie about Captain Kirk, Mr . Spock, and Gary Seven . We've all seen two -- hour movies that were based on much worse ideas .
Prince Michael is offline   Reply With Quote