Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Spin-offs and One-Year Wonders

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

ABC Picks Up Comedy Starring Lake Bell, Dax Shepard; EPIX Dark Comedy Gets 3rd Season
Lifetime Brings in the Stars for Winter Movies; Celebs Line Up for CBS All Access' Twilight Zone
HBO Comedy Crashing Returns for Season 3; Nick Sitcom Starts Jan. 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 10, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Netflix Pays $100 Million for Another Year of Friends; Reboots of Night Gallery and New York Undercover
Fri-Yay: The Disappearing Art of the Holiday Episode; The Simpsons Turns 30 Years Old with Specials on Fox and FXX
Loudermilk Returns for Season 3 on Audience Network; Syfy's 23rd Annual Twilight Zone New Year's Eve Marathon

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection Alice - The Complete Eighth Season Step by Step - The Complete Third Season

10/02 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 6th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 7th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 8th Season
10/02 - Ghosted - The Complete First Season
10/02 - The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One / Volume Two
10/02 - Police Squad! - TV and Movie Collection
10/02 - Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection
10/16 - Community - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/23 - Alice - The Complete Eighth Season
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Two
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Three
10/31 - The Bad News Bears - The Complete Series - All 26 Episodes
11/01 - Episodes - Season 5
11/05 - Robin Williams - Comic Genius (includes Mork & Mindy)
11/06 - American Dad! - Volume 13
11/16 - Man with a Plan - Season One
11/20 - Step by Step - The Complete Third Season
11/27 - What I Like About You - The Complete Third Season
12/04 - Family Guy - Season Sixteen
12/04 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Sixth Season
12/18 - Our Cartoon President - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-11-2010, 11:55 AM   #151
JamesG
Freakshow
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Thong
A spinoff of a spinoff. You can only water something down so many times before you have...nothing.
Sometimes it works, as in the case of "NCIS: Los Angeles".
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:11 AM   #152
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

I haven't really watched NCIS: Los Angeles, so I can't comment.

I forget sometimes that NCIS is a spinoff of JAG, because JAG has been off the air for a few years now and NCIS has been on for so long.

I thought it was very ironic when Mark Harmon commented that he wasn't happy with the production team stretching themselves too thin by doing an NCIS spinoff.

Uh, Mark, you do remember that you started off as Gibbs on JAG, right?
Old 05-25-2010, 12:15 AM   #153
suz5cam
Occasional Poster

Wasn't there a spinoff of the Jeffersons with the title 3 numbers?
suz5cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:11 PM   #154
JamesG
Freakshow
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by suz5cam
Wasn't there a spinoff of the Jeffersons with the title 3 numbers?
You're a little confused here...

"The Jeffersons'" spin-off was "Checking In" and it only lasted four episodes.

After "The Jeffersons" was canceled Marla Gibbs went on to star in "227". The shows are not related.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:33 PM   #155
Couch Potato 05
Night Owl!
Forum Regular

I read somewhere long ago that there was supposed to be a spin-off from the character Nick Moore from Family Ties called The Art of Being Nick. I have no idea if they even aired 1 episode or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Mont
A pilot for ‘The Greatest American Heroine’ was filmed as a spin-off from ‘The Greatest American Hero’, but it wasn’t picked up by ABC. I understand the pilot can be found on the DVD set.

There was supposed to be a ‘Gilmore Girls’ spin-off starring the 'Jesse' character transplanted to California (a la ‘Private Practice’), and it was tried out for an episode, but never proceeded to series.

There was a proposed ‘Charmed Sons’ spin-off from WB’s ‘Charmed’ that sat on the back-burner a long time and was never filmed.
Wow, how do you find out about these? I watched these shows religiously & never heard a thing...until reading this.
Couch Potato 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:19 PM   #156
MacLeaper
Child of the 80s

"The Art of Being Nick" was indeed aired in the late '80s, but never picked up as a series. I want to say it was 1987 when it aired. Also, "The Greatest American Heroine" aired on NBC in 1986 as a pilot for a possible series, as far as I know, but the series was never picked up. It is available on Anchor Bay's 1st. Season DVD release of "The Greatest American Hero" and I think it's pretty fun. It was actually the first episode of "The Greatest American Hero" I ever got to see before finally going back and watching all the episodes on DVD. It's a fun spin-off attempt, but it just isn't the same without Ralph and Bill together.
I'd still like to see this Family Ties spin-off pilot, "The Art of Being Nick", someday.
"Ha, I kill me!" - ALF
"I am The Way, The Truth and The Life. No man comes to The Father but by Me."- Jesus Christ (John 14:6)
MacLeaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:50 PM   #157
McGillicuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLeaper
"The Art of Being Nick" was indeed aired in the late '80s, but never picked up as a series. I want to say it was 1987 when it aired. Also, "The Greatest American Heroine" aired on NBC in 1986 as a pilot for a possible series, as far as I know, but the series was never picked up. It is available on Anchor Bay's 1st. Season DVD release of "The Greatest American Hero" and I think it's pretty fun. It was actually the first episode of "The Greatest American Hero" I ever got to see before finally going back and watching all the episodes on DVD. It's a fun spin-off attempt, but it just isn't the same without Ralph and Bill together.
I'd still like to see this Family Ties spin-off pilot, "The Art of Being Nick", someday.
That would make a nice "extra" for a Family Ties season dvd set.
McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:17 AM   #158
TV_on_the_Porch
anything good on?
Forum Regular

My memory was just hazy enough to be unsure of the year, but it must have been 1986 as pilot costar Herschel Bernardi died in May of that year.
TV_on_the_Porch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 01:54 AM   #159
treky
star trek fan
Forum Veteran

in the last season of "RHODA" CBS was planning a proposed spin-off called "BRENDA" but it never materialized.

Granny: "How much fer one o' them red diamonds?"
clerk: "Madam, those are rubies."
Granny: "OK ask her kin we buy one offa her."
clerk: " The ruby I am talking about is not a lady."
Granny: "Lissen, how she got them diamonds is her business. I'm just sayin' ask her kin we buy one from her."
treky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 05:20 PM   #160
OOliver
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOliver
I remember a couple that never got off the ground on CBS:

In the summer of 1978, I remember reading in a magazine (I think it was US which ran bi-weekly) that the upcoming season of "Rhoda" was going to marry off 'Rhoda's' sister 'Brenda' to 'Benny' and eventually 'spin off' "Brenda" to Connecticuit in early 1979.

Sure enough, Brenda's engagement was written into the storyline of Rhoda's 5th season, but "Rhoda" was cancelled in early December, 1978 - without Brenda's wedding taking place. (Didn't CBS realize 'married' women in MTM productions were not that funny?)

After watching Season 5 all over again on ALN the past few weeks, it is obvious what CBS was trying to do (spin-off Brenda). Julie Kavner was being molded into a leading actress with her 'engagement' storyline over the first thirteen eps, and did it well (you could see where she could quite possibly carry a show on her own), considering...

The problems surfaced beneath - her beaux 'Benny' was just not an interesting character for her to play off (neurotic "Gary" was far better for Brenda). The scripts were horrible, the supporting cast had grown tired by the fifth season and were sleeep-walking through the fifth season, the direction was flawed.

Could a spin-off work if they writing was crisper, if the direction was more focused? Sure. The way the season was deteriorating, though, showed no promise for 'Brenda and Benny'.
OOliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:52 PM   #161
joan davis fan
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Damage
That may be true considering "The L Word" was suppose to have a spinoff about a female prison and Showtime decided not to pick it up.
While Showtime decided NOT to pick up the spinoff of "The L Word, Showtime back during the Queer as Folk days was very serious about doing a similar show on the gay-bear community called "The Front Range Bears". Serious enough that Showtime even went as far as doing a pilot of it.

"The Front Range Bears" was a comedy set ( and filmed) in Denver about a bunch of hairy gay guys and life in the Mile High City. Just before the paper went defunct in 2008 The local Denver Rocky Mountain News actually brought up this show since one of the "bears" in the planned series was Da Boogieman who for many years was a well known radio dj for local KOOL 105 FM and himself a bear. The..DA Boogieman was cut loose from KOOL which was the only reason why the paper had brought up "The Front Range Bears" in the first place.

The Rocky Mountain News didn't say why Showtime had said NO to the series but that pilot...I did catch it on You Tube last year though the clip wasn't onthere for very long. Ah I can see why Showtime took a pass. Example scene I can recall..

A Denver city bus is picking up children and their parents along with the bears for a day at local Elitch Gardens Amusement Park only to notice that the bus driver was nude except for his jock strap.

Little Girl: "....mommy mommy..that man is wearing nothing but a jock strap "

Mother: "...no no no...put some clothes on..you shouldn't be wearing only a jock strap while working for the city of Denver !! I am going to TELL Mayor Hickenlooper !!"

Bus Driver: "..Baby its not a JOCK strap..its a WOOF strap !! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR !!'

The bears on the bus "DENVER IS HAVING A BEAR QUAKE !!!"

..now wasn't that FUNNY? Ah.........Hmmmmmmm. NO !!!

For the record my brother is gay and is very active in the local bear community and even he didn't like the "Front Range Bears".
joan davis fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:42 PM   #162
JamesG
Freakshow
Forum Celebrity

The spin-off to "Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman" called "California" was never aired by CBS.

It was to focus on 'Hank Lawson' played by William Shockley.

From an interview Shockley gave when asked about it:

You had filmed a pilot of a series that was a spin-off of "Dr. Quinn"
Why did "California" never air?

The "California" spin-off series was an excellent show.

Beth Sullivan wrote "California", and the story took Hank Lawson from Colorado to Los Angeles. The show was never aired by CBS, and to this day, I don't know why. Beth wrote a fabulous script, and the actors that were involved in "California" were great.

Laura Harring played my love interest. James Brolin, who is married to Barbra Striesand, played the local sheriff.

I really wish CBS would have allowed the fans to see this wonderful 2-hour movie.

http://www.thedqtimes.com/pages/cast...yinterview.htm
Old 08-24-2010, 09:53 PM   #163
JamesG
Freakshow
Forum Celebrity

After "Everybody Loves Raymond" ended, Brad Garrett wanted to spin-off 'Robert Barrone' into his own show.

The idea never happened because many of "Raymond's" writers left to do other jobs after the show ended.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:47 PM   #164
JamesG
Freakshow
Forum Celebrity

There were plans for a spin-off to "Stargate SG-1" that would feature a young SG crew but the idea never panned out.

One of those who were set to star in it was "Battlestar Gallactica's" Grace Park.

The spin-off that did happen was "Stargate: Atlantis".
Old 11-20-2010, 05:34 AM   #165
JamesG
Freakshow
Forum Celebrity

Around the making of "Power Rangers Turbo", the fifth season of the Power Rangers franchise in 1997, there were plans to have the bully / buffoon duo Bulk and Skull (Paul Schrier and Jason Narvy) launch their own show.

During "Turbo" Bulk and Skull were turned into monkeys on the show in order for the actors and producers to focus more on planning the potential spin-off.

The general idea of the plot was to have Bulk and Skull operate a hotel in Angel Grove, California. The "Bulk and Skull" spin-off ultimately never happened and eventually they returned to the show.

At the Power Morphicon Convention in 2007 Paul Schrier, who played "Bulk", went on the explain more at the panel:

"The show never happened due to some poor demographic testing. I mean face it, you would think today 'Wow, that would have been really cool...' and it would have been.

Ultimately the Ranger show is an action-adventure show. The comic stuff that Bulk and Skull brought to the show, as wonderful as it was, really wouldn't stand alone and it would not garner the same amount of viewership as a show with a lot of butt-kicking.
"

A fan then suggested to them that maybe they could have done a mini-series or something like that and Paul Schrier responded:

"Yeaaahh, but then we will still have the same problem. The affiliates would have been like 'Oh yeah, that mini-series where there's no kung fu - just a lot of cakes. We don't want that.'

I do have to say that in our minds... we had a big spin-off. We viewed every bit that we did as a separate universe from the Ranger show."
Attached Images