Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Lifetime Site / Lifetime Schedule / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Married with Children Now on WGN America; black-ish Enters National Syndication and Free Sneakers Contest
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of September 17, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: ABC Orders Script for Designing Women Reboot; James Marsden and Ed Asner Cast in Netflix Series
Fri-Yay: A Look at the Upcoming Sitcom Slate; TV Guide's 1st Annual 100 Best Shows List
Dancing with the Stars Season 27 Cast Has Sitcom Stars; The Young Sheldon STEM Initiative
Critics' Choice Awards Set for January on The CW; IFC Sets New Episodes for Documentary Now!
NBC Orders More Brooklyn Nine-Nine; Disney Gets Another Multi-Cam Sitcom
COZI TV Adds The Office in January 2019; Remembering Burt Reynolds and Bill Daily

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September)

The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season Step by Step - The Complete Second Season Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season

08/07 - Happy Endings - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
08/15 - A.P. Bio - Season One
08/28 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Five
08/28 - Man Seeking Woman - The Complete Third Season
09/04 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Season 12
09/04 - Mom - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Superstore - Season Three
09/04 - Young Sheldon - The Complete First Season
09/11 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season (Blu-ray)
09/11 - The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - People of Earth - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - Community - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
09/18 - Step by Step - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fourth Season
09/25 - Blondie - The Complete 1957 Television Series
09/25 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 07-04-2006, 04:02 AM   #1
skunk ape
Frequent Poster

Default Jack Davis Jr.

This case was on today and I was wondering if there were any updates or clues not elaborated on in the UM segment. Apparently Jack didn't die in that isolated stairwell, but was placed there by the last person or persons to see him alive.
Old 07-04-2006, 03:10 PM   #2
kadrmas15
Retired from Board 03/03/11

Yeah, Jack Davis, this case has long intrigued me. I dont believe his death was a suicide or an accidental fall. The cops and the local coroners botched up that one big time. The coroner especially didnt even do his job and missed skull fractures. It is a good thing the Davis family decided to consult Dr. Cyril Wecht. I have long been a fan of Dr. Wecht and I do think that he is a modern day Sherlock Holmes as they said on Unsolved Mysteries. It was obvious that Jack Davis's body was not at the bottom of that stairwell for five days. Also it had rained and his clothes were dry. There was just things that didnt add up with his body being there for that long. I think his body was only there for a few hours before it was found. Davis I think was in some kind of fight and was beaten pretty good, he lingered for a few days and either died or was dying at a separate location and then was moved to the stairwell.
kadrmas15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 03:17 PM   #3
kadrmas15

I am a fan of Dr. Wecht and it is sad to see what has happened to him. In January Wecht was forced to step aside as Alleghany County Coroner because he was indicted on 73 counts of corruption. I think most of those charges are mail fraud. These are federal charges and if found guilty could end up spending the rest of his life in federal prison. I think he is facing at least 20 years in federal prison if found guilty. Wecht is 73, 74 and that would be a death sentence for him basically. Wecht is still bothered by the Davis case from what I have heard because it was never found who killed him. Wecht though can pretty much find what the real cause of death is and I feel he is certainly in the top 5 in terms of coroners in the whole country. There was another case on UM that took place in Pittsburgh. It was where a woman "fell" from her apartment balcony. The police of course instantly ruled it suicide. Coroner Wecht took a look at this case and I think the body was even exhumed and he determined she had defense wounds and stuff on her and he said the way she fell and the distance she fell from the building showed that she was either pushed off the balcony or thrown off. Her husband whom she did not have the greatest relationship with was indicted and charged with murder in her death about 5 or 6 years after the fact. However amazingly he was acquitted in a trial.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:52 AM   #4
skunk ape
Frequent Poster

Wow! What are the specifics on those mail fraud charges? 73 counts?!

Anyways, I feel that Jack Davis was beaten and held somewhere where he died after a few days, I believe they said he had heavy beard stubble and it takes at least a few days for that to appear on a man's face. He was then moved to where he was found shortly before he was discovered. I'm wondering if any of the students there were questioned or did the investigators botch that opportunity.
skunk ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 11:43 AM   #5
kadrmas15

Well it seemed to me that the cops and the coroner were just totally convinced from the get go that this was a case of a highly intoxicated young man who fell down the stairs and died. That is basically what they thought and I know the Chief of Police said that he thought that Jack was just very drunk and had fallen down the stairs. As Dr. Wecht said Jack was drinking the last night he was seen alive. No one questions that Jack was drinking or that he was heavily intoxicated that night. However as Dr. Wecht said when a person dies the body will stop processing alcohol meaning that if Jack had in fact died the same night he was last seen as intoxicated as he was there would have been alcohol left in his system. However when the toxicology results came back there was no alcohol in Jack's system. Dr. Wecht said for as intoxicated as Jack was said to have been it could have taken up to 30 hours after he stopped drinking for all the alcohol to be out of his system. I believe Jack was last seen either very late Friday night or very early Saturday morning. 30 hours would mean that his body would have been cleared of alcohol sometime on Sunday morning meaning he was at least still alive on Sunday. Yet the cops still stick to their guns and still insist he was drunk! How could a guy be drunk when he has no alcohol in his system? There are other things, his body was not in a state of decomposition which would have started had he been dead for 5 days. Also it had rained the previous two nights before his body was found yet his clothes were not wet. Also there were students in the classrooms above where his body was found and they could clearly see the location of his body if they looked out the windows, yet no one reported seeing it. I think the coroner and the cops really botched this investigation big time and I think they just wanted to believe it was an accident and have the case go away. I think Wecht said it looked like Jack had not been dead for more than 24 hours at the time his body was discovered on Wedensday. Personally I think that Jack was severly beaten somewhere for some reason on the night he was last seen. I think he was last seen shortly after midnight Saturday Morning. At some point after that he was beaten severely probably to the point of being unconcious. It was probably the case of someone being pissed off and being highly intoxicated and just letting their emotions get the better of them. They probably meant just to rough Jack up a little bit but instead went overboard. The person who beat him then removed him to a different location where they kept him and they probably thought he would get better but he didnt and eventually died. They didnt want to take him to the hospital because then they be found out as having beat him. I think there is a good chance Jack would have survived had he been taken to a hospital. After Jack died the person who killed him waited until dark and probably waited until the late evening, early morning hours before sun rise to remove the body and take it to the stairwell where it was found. On a college campus there is constantly people up and about so the only time they could have moved a body without being seen would be probably sometime in the very late evening or early morning hours. It rained too so this tells me he was moved sometime between midnight and 5 a.m. Just my opinion sorry for going on so long.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:54 AM   #6
kadrmas15

Also in my opinion it would have taken two people to move Jack, so in my view at least two people know what happened there. A minimum of two maybe more. Also on Dr. Wecht's current situation. Wecht is currently 75 years old and is facing more charges than I had even said before. Wecht was indicted in January 20, 2006 on 84 felony counts. These charges range from mail fraud and wire fraud to theft from the office. This theft thing is from accusations that Wecht took cadavers that didnt have any relatives or any one claim them and he took them from the Alleghany County Coroner's office and traded them to a university to use in exchange for laboratory space for his private pathology business. Dr. Wecht is in trouble, he hired former Pennsylvania Governor and U.S. Attorney General Richard Thornburgh to lead his defense team and be his chief legal counsel. Wecht moved for a dismissial but just last week this motion was denied. The judge wrote a 31 page opinion on why he denied it and the merits of the case. This case is scheduled to go to trial and the trial is due to start on October 16th of this year. The trial will go a LONG time with 84 counts though. Former Governor George Ryan of Illinois, his trial went for like 7 or 8 months and he was facing 18 counts if I remember right. Wecht's trial will take months. Dr. Wecht's personal website is www.cyrilwecht.com Wecht has also alleged that this whole indictment was a vendetta against him by the Alleghany County District Attorney who is known for having a rather strong personal dislike of Dr. Wecht.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:44 PM   #7
skunk ape
Frequent Poster

I agree with you on all points pertaining to the Jack Davis case. Three clues support the murder theory and support the fact that he was alive until at least Sunday and placed there shortly before his body was discovered:

1. The beard stubble
2. The dry clothing
3. No alcohol in his system

And I also agree that it would take at least two people to have moved him to the bottom of the stairwell. This is another case where the investigators assumed an accident occured and didn't rule out a homicide first and because of pride, they won't claim to have made a mistake and so the investigation comes to a standstill. Weren't there three separate blows to the head?

That's terrible to hear what is going on with Cyril Wecht. I wonder what he did to the DA to warrant him to go about prosecuting him for 84 counts. It's not even mentioned on his website.
skunk ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 06:59 PM   #8
WatchYourLips
Frequent Poster

I agree with you all that it seems like a murder, but one thing bothers me. Why would people take the risk of dumping him on campus as opposed to dumping him elsewhere? It seems that it was too likely to be seen.
WatchYourLips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:49 PM   #9
UMLongtimefan
Frequent Poster

Its an interesting case no doubt but I have some questions about the murder theory.

1. As I recall the Wecht said the blows to the head were not consistent with Davis falling down those stairs... BUT what if Davis didn't fall down the stars but simply fell over the edge of the stairway. If you have this one on video take a look at the sides of the drop away from the stairs (I'm doing this on memory) but as I recall there is no railing only a small hedge and I was unable to tell if the hedge ran all the way along the drop. I think its possible that Davis in an intoxicated state (not necessarily alchol) went to answer natures call stumpled over the edge of the drop and fell to his death not down the stairs but straight down causing "the blow to the head".

2. The beard and the dry clothing don't bother me that much... how wet did that area get? Again as I recall there is a sign behind Wecht and the Campus official that says "WARNING HIGH VOLTAGE" if the stairwell was prone to flooding wouldn't that room be vulnerable to flooding? Its possible if it was a that because of the proximaty of the building the area wasn't vulnerable to a lot of rain. Also given that the original autopsy forgot to include the head, how sure are we that Davis' clothes were completely dry? Could they have dried over the course of time between when he died and when he was found. Facial hair and all hair continues to grow after death, it cannot be relied upon as time factor vs say the temprature of the liver.

3. With regard to no alchol.. What happens to alchol after a few days in the body? I can't remember if Wecht mentioned this or not.. Was his blood only tested for alchol? Could Davis' have been impaired by another substance?

4. Like Watch why would somebody bring the body back to campus? Especially where there are so many potential witnesses? Would there be another stairwell that is closer? I'd like to see a aerial photograph of the IUP campus to see where the body was found.

5. Wouldn't a secret like this be tough to keep even in a fraternity? Obviously the police found out about the other fights, wouldn't they find out about the "accident"?

I'm not against a few conspiracies ( see the JonBenet Ramsey thread) especially if they can be factually proven but this one seems like a stretch, I'd like to hear the counter points of view.

Wecht was a good Pathologist I wondered why he hadn't made the rounds on the crime talk shows (Nancy Grace, Gretta VS).
UMLongtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:50 PM   #10
LooksLikeCRicci
Likes to live in a clean house

Send a message via AIM to LooksLikeCRicci Send a message via Yahoo to LooksLikeCRicci

Yeah... I've always thought this case had more to it than what the investigators thought.
LooksLikeCRicci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 01:00 AM   #11
kadrmas15

Well there is more to it. But maybe UM didnt release all the details to keep the tips that would come in genuine. The problem I have with Jack falling is that while there was no railing so conceviably one could just fall over why would he fall head first to the ground? I mean of course that is possible that could have happened. However from a fall like that I would think he would have more fractures plus other broken bones. Well I doubt whoever killed him would go around bragging to the whole fraternity hey we killed Jack Davis. Chances are he was not kept in the frat house. He was kept in a private home or apartment. I am thinking it would have been to hard to smuggle him in and out of an apartment but not impossible. The thing was though was he seen drinking heavily earlier in the evening. So maybe he smoked marijuana or something too but it seems alcohol was what he was "using" that night. That is the most troubling thing to me is with all the alcohol in his system if he had fallen down the steps how could all the alcohol be out of his system? The fact he had no alcohol in his system is what most indicates to me that he was still alive until at least somepoint on Sunday in order for all the alcohol to be out. If you are drunk enough it can take 30 hours after you stop drinking before all the alcohol will be out. If you are not alive your body would stop processing the alcohol and your blood alcohol level would be whatever it was at the time of death meaning his body had processed all the alcohol. Here in Minnesota we had a guy who was drunk driving and who struck and killed a pedistrian. This guy had no clue he was legally drunk or that he even had any alcohol left in his system. The guy blew a .12 and this was at nearly 8 in the morning. The guy said he had not drank since midnight. Meaning that his blood alcohol level when he stopped drinking was probably around a .30 the cops said.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:51 PM   #12
UMLongtimefan
Frequent Poster

Kadrmas,

Another thing I thought of while reading your response was what if Davis wasn't instantly killed by the fall? Could he have lived enough days in the stairwell that his body processed the alchol?

The orignal autopsy I believe said he died from asperation of his own vomit, maybe he suffered the head trauma that incapcitated but didn't kill him until he finally succumbed.

I don't doubt the offender who commited the crime isn't going to brag "hey we kill jack davis of the Sig Epps." but why would his frat brothers hide this, sure they might try to care for their own but 5-10 years after Davis' death still cover it up? It might be possible that a rival fraternity jumped a solitary davis beat him to a pulp and kidnapped him only to have him die, but wouldn't it be easier to hide his body off campus?

Either way... murder or accident what a horrible way to die, if nothing less its a good reminder to talk to your kids (even college age and young adult kids) about drinking and looking out for your friends when and if you do drink. When I was in school we always had a designated sober.. not necessarily a person that would drive us home (as the person could have a drink or two, and the bars were always within easy walking distance) but a person that would make sure (because they weren't blitzed) we wouldn't do stupid crap like this to get ourselves in trouble.
Old 07-07-2006, 02:15 PM   #13
kadrmas15

Well, that could be that he lived, laying unconcious in the stairwell for over 30 hours. However the problem I have with this is that while he could have fallen and not been seen the rest of the weekend because classes werent in session why didnt anyone see him on Monday or Tuesday laying at the bottom of the stairwell? That is what troubles me most about it. I just cant believe that out of the 200 plus students that were in the classrooms overlooking that area on Monday or Tuesday that at least one of them didnt look down and see something. It just doesnt add up that he was laying at the bottom of those steps on Monday and Tuesday. Someone would have seen him. If someone had spotted him first thing Monday then it would be more probable that he had fallen over the ledge and hit his head. There was no guardrail so that is possible especially for someone being highly intoxicated to fall over. However I just think if he had been laying there that he would have been seen on Monday. I think he was beaten severely he was alive until at least some point on Sunday maybe longer than that. I tend to think he was alive even longer than that because I cant see someone keeping his dead body in their place of residence for two or three days after. My guess is he died on Tuesday and was taken to the stairwell that night or very early Wedensday morning. If it was raining Tuesday night it would have been a perfect opportunity to transport the body because especially at night almost no one would be out in the rain. However the question still remains why would they move him to the stairwell? Why wouldnt they just take his body out to the country and dump it? Or bury it or something? Were the killers sophistacted enough to think "Gee, lets dump his body at the bottom of the stairwell. When the cops find it they will think he was just drunk and went to urinate and either fell down the steps or fell over the top to the cement below?" Or did the killer want his body to be found because the killer was remorseful? Whoever killed Jack Davis I am sure is still out there living their life. I dont think Davis's death was a random killing though. He was killed by someone he knew or at least someone that knew him. I think Wecht said the killing appeared personal. Also Wecht disproved the theory that Davis choked on his own vomit as the cause of death. I think he even said the airway was free and clear. He didnt understand how the county coroner could have came to the conclusion that Davis choked on his own vomit when he had no vomit to choke on. Also the county coroner never even discovered the fractures. Wecht did that after he got the body exhumed and performed a much more detailed autopsy.
Old 07-08-2006, 12:14 AM   #14
UMLongtimefan
Frequent Poster

Kadrmas..

You have some great points and thank you for being willing to discuss them

I agree with you the original autopsy was definately one that was very sloppy and incomplete (dare I say incompetent), how a pathologist doing a standard autopsy would not open the brain cavitity is beyond me and my rudimentary understanding of medicine (like you can take asprin for a headache). How did that pathologist rule out that Davis didn't die of an anuerysm? The sad thing is not every county has access to a Dr. the calibre of Wecht but they should have at least a competent one that knows when they might have to defer to an expert.

I think there is the possibility that people in the building may not have noticed the body even if it was there for a week. It was after all a stairwell to no where... (an electrical room)... it might not have been that interesting, plus the drop was such from the video it appeared wecht had to be at the window looking down to see the area (that may or may not of been the case in other rooms).. if its a classroom I doubt too many students are going to get up and wander over to the windows and peer down to look in that area during their class (maybe a reflective one does it before or after class).. but for some reason that looked like a dormitory to me? Was it? Again the chances that 500+ people never look out that window and that area are remote but not impossible. (I would think a thorough investigation should test that, maybe pick out a similiar area on campus or do it now in the same area with time people may have grown less conscious of the area, have a volunteer sit in that area with a sign that says "if you can read this call me or come see me" see how many people actually do?)

I still wonder about the killer, why put the body there if your remorseful why not just put it anywhere on campus and drive off... I gotta think even if its a rival frat somebody says.. hey these guys stayed in their apartment for 5 days after that big blow out with our rivals.. can all the fraternity bonds go back that far?

Again I appreciate and respect your viewpoint Kadrmas, I'm not trying to argue with you, just trying to understand this case better. I guess that's why its still not solved.

Thank you..
Old 07-16-2007, 03:40 PM   #15
Mike5044
Occasional Poster

I realize these posts are over a year old, but on occasion I check the internet to see if anything has surfaced regarding Jack's case. I knew Jack when I was in school, to say hello, small talk, etc. I graduated just before Jack's death, and I remember someone telling me that Jack had died from a fall after drinking too much. I had moved a good bit away from the campus after graduation, and have not really stayed in touch with anyone, so when watching Unsolved Mysteries and seeing Jack's case come up, it was a big surprise.

As I recall, Jack's body was found in a stairwell in Wilson Hall. Wilson Hall at the time was not used for much other than classroom space as a last resort. The hall has since been renovated. If I recall the stairwell, this spot would have only been visible from another classroom building, and his body could have been there a good bit of time and not been seen from the classroom. That being said, I do not believe his body was there for a longtime, and I do not believe that he died from a fall down those stairs. It does not surprise me that the investigation was not handled properly. I was never impressed by either the campus security or the local police. It would have been very easy for them to haphazardly look at the situation as a drunken student falling down steps, and never looking any further.

Another other odd thing is that Jack became a member of this fraternity at all. The fraternity he belonged to was a "muscle-head" fraternity. The majority of the members were muscle-bound weightlifters who spent four-times as much time in the gym as compared to the classroom. Jack was in good shape, but if he were a weightlifter, it would have been hard to tell. Also, Jack came across as good student, and had a very nice demeanor. Jack certainly did not fit the mold of this fraternity's ideal brother.

After watching the episode, I came up with my own theory (like everyone else). I think Jack drank too much, and got into a confrontation with one of his "muscle-head" fraternity brothers. The fraternity brother fueled on alcohol and steriods went over the top and put a good beating on Jack. In order to not get the whole fraternity in trouble, they carry Jack to a dorm near Wilson Hall. After the morons, realize Jack is not going to get better on his own, they don't have the sense nor responsibility to get Jack to a hospital. They let him die, and then carry him a short distance to Wilson Hall to attempt to stage Jack's death.

In order to keep this quiet for 20 years, there were probably just a few people who knew and continue to know what happened. These idiots do not then and continue to not have the conscience to come forward and admit what they did. They realize that they committed murder, and would have to pay for it. The irony is that probably the only member of this fraternity at the time I went to school that would have made something of himself was Jack.
Mike5044 is offline   Reply With Quote