Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Gidget links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Gidget Photo Gallery

Gidget - The Complete Series

Buy Gidget - The Complete Series on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > Gidget
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Hulu Picks Up Comedy from Jason Reitman; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of November 3, 2014)
Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Day Marathon, Plus More Classics; MeTV Pays Tribute to Marcia Strassman Tonight
CBS Fall Pilot Review: The McCarthys - Premieres Thursday, Oct. 30; TBS Orders Comedy Pilot from Daily Show Producers
TV Land's Frightfully Funny Roseanne Halloween Marathon; CBS Picks Up Full Seasons of All New Dramas
ABC Cancels Manhattan Love Story; Remembering Marcia Strassman of Welcome Back, Kotter
Week 5 TV Ratings and Analysis; How the Sitcoms Did
SitcomsOnline Digest: First Cancellation of the New Season; CSI Season Cut Short; New Mill Creek DVDs

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series Sgt. Bilko - The Phil Silvers Show - The Complete Series Family Ties - The Complete Series Happy Days - The Sixth Season The Jeffersons - The Complete Series Mork & Mindy - The Complete Series

10/07 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Christmas Episodes
10/07 - The Flying Nun - The Complete First and Second Seasons (Mill Creek)
10/07 - The Middle - The Complete Fifth Season (Warner Archive)
10/07 - The Office - The Complete Series
10/07 - The Wonder Years - Season One
10/10 - The Wonder Years - The Complete Series - Read Our Review / The Signature Edition / Seasons 1-3
10/14 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Third Season
10/14 - Two and a Half Men - The Complete Eleventh Season
10/21 - Married with Children - Seasons 5 and 6 (Mill Crek)
10/21 - The Soul Man - The Complete Second Season
10/21 - Square Pegs - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/28 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series
11/04 - Hot in Cleveland - Season Five
11/04 - Napoleon Dynamite - The Complete Animated Series
11/04 - Sgt. Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show) - The Complete Series
11/11 - Dads - The Complete Series
11/11 - Family Ties - The Complete Series
11/11 - My Favorite Martian - Best of Collection
11/11 - Taxi - The Complete Series
11/11 - Wings - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/18 - King of the Hill - The Complete Seventh Season / The Complete Eighth Season
11/25 - Better Off Ted - The Complete Second Season
12/02 - Happy Days - The Sixth Season
12/09 - Barney Miller - The Complete Sixth Season
12/09 - The Jeffersons - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mister Ed - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mork & Mindy - The Fourth Season / The Complete Series
12/16 - The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis - The Final (Fourth) Season
12/23 - My Favorite Martian - Season Two - Collector's Edition
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 09-16-2010, 12:43 PM   #1
Cincy Guy
Frequent Poster

Default Sally Field Outfits as Gidget

I've always wondered why Sally Field was dressed as she was when she played Gidget. In that 1965-66 period, girls were wearing mini-skirts, mini-dresses, jumpers along with various styles of boots, etc. I just don't recall seeing her wearing many of the fashions of those "Mid-60's Girls" that are now remembered. Certainly Gidget dealt with being on the beach, surfing and the like, but there were times when they went elsewhere.

Last edited by Cincy Guy : 09-27-2010 at 08:32 AM.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:55 PM   #2
TV Knowledge Fan

Default I believe it had to do with the fact that...

...the series was designed to be "timeless"- that is, it was meant to appear in future syndication for years after it ended. If certain fashions reflecting the period when the series was filmed were seen {i.e. go-go boots, mini-skirts, etc.}, they would "date" the program- and that's not what Hollywood producers, including Screen Gems, were trying to "sell". That's why Gidget's wardrobe was basically "generic"; her clothing could easily survive endless repeats into the 1970's, '80s, and beyond. The swimwear and two-piece bathing suits she wore, however, were a reflection of their time (and easily the most dated)...and there was an "edict" against showing women's navels on camera on all the networks at that time, so that's why you rarely, if ever, saw Gidget's.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:31 PM   #3
TeeVeeCloset

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV Knowledge Fan
...the series was designed to be "timeless"- that is, it was meant to appear in future syndication for years after it ended. If certain fashions reflecting the period when the series was filmed were seen {i.e. go-go boots, mini-skirts, etc.}, they would "date" the program- and that's not what Hollywood producers, including Screen Gems, were trying to "sell". That's why Gidget's wardrobe was basically "generic"; her clothing could easily survive endless repeats into the 1970's, '80s, and beyond. The swimwear and two-piece bathing suits she wore, however, were a reflection of their time (and easily the most dated)...and there was an "edict" against showing women's navels on camera on all the networks at that time, so that's why you rarely, if ever, saw Gidget's.

I rarely ever disagree with you knowledge, but I don't know if your statement is based on written fact or opinion on this one.....First Sally Field was a very young girl, the pilot shows her laying in bed with full legs and feet exposed, she was supposed to be a over-reaction high maintence typical teenager/ child......your "theory" of syndication could be true, but funny it only lasted one season (of course the producers didn't think it would be cancelled)....the mod mini-skirt period really took over in 1967, so screen gems certainly changed their mind by then with "I Dream Of Jeannie" & even "Bewitched". Jeannie wore go-go boots, mini-skirts once married and had a "Mod Party"....and even "The Monkees" seem dated now...so I doubt Gidgets' wardrobe had anything to do with future revenue more than her age and the time period being barely 1965. But I still admire and love reading all your very thoughtful and very insightful factual comments 99% of the time!
Old 02-07-2011, 12:44 PM   #4
Cincy Guy
Frequent Poster

I appreciate and respect the replies. It is interesting that if the reason for what Gidget wore was to give the show a "timeless" look, re-runs of the series were very rare in later years. However, other shows where current fashion was shown (examples: in the first episode of "The Mary Tyler Moore Show", Mary had on winter-white knee-high vinyl boots or in "One Day At A Time" Valerie Bertinelli and Mackenzie Phillips often wore flared jeans or pants) were frequently re-run years later.

Last edited by Cincy Guy : 09-22-2011 at 08:43 AM.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:51 PM   #5
Steve Carras
Forum Regular
Sandra Bullock RULES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy Guy
I appreciate and respect the replies. It is interesting that if the reason for what Gidget wore was to give the show a "timeless" look, re-runs of the series were very rare in later years. However, other shows where current fashion was shown (examples: in the first episode of "The Mary Tyler Moore Show", Mary had on winter-white knee-high vinyl boots or in "One Day At A Time" Valerie Bertinelli and Mackenzie Phillips often wore flared jeans or pants) were frequently re-run years later.

Well a certain cartoon Great Dane whose name appeared before his creation in a Sinatra song some months before our surfer girl's cancellation has owners with veyr dated fashiooned and HE has survived...[Daphne Blake looking 11 year old kids today...UGH Give me a BREAK!] yes, Scooby Doo...but then these are very little kids, and girls at that, they'll watch wany dang thing.

"How about baby blue? To match your baby blue eyes?"
-Frank Nelson on "The Flintstones" (1961)

http://sjcarrasblog.blogspot.com-ORIGINAL GUMBY SERIES SITE

http://toonsnoot.blogspot.com
New-TOON SNOOT-Random posting on American animation trivial stuff from 1920s to early 70s.

ON FACEBOOK HERE AT:
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001249396142
Old 03-10-2012, 11:53 PM   #6
Steve Carras
Forum Regular
Sandra Bullock RULES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV Knowledge Fan
...the series was designed to be "timeless"- that is, it was meant to appear in future syndication for years after it ended. If certain fashions reflecting the period when the series was filmed were seen {i.e. go-go boots, mini-skirts, etc.}, they would "date" the program- and that's not what Hollywood producers, including Screen Gems, were trying to "sell". That's why Gidget's wardrobe was basically "generic"; her clothing could easily survive endless repeats into the 1970's, '80s, and beyond. The swimwear and two-piece bathing suits she wore, however, were a reflection of their time (and easily the most dated)....

Didn't hurt young girls watching her in 1990s-200s reruns on Cable.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:30 AM   #7
Prince Michael
Frequent Poster

Cool

Since Gidget was part of the 1960s surf culture, I'd think she'd wear swimming suits at the beach, and T -- shirts, cutoff blue jeans or shorts, and sandals around town .
Old 10-19-2012, 09:49 AM   #8
Cincy Guy
Frequent Poster

At the same time, I've always thought that "Gidget" (or Sally Fields at the age of 18 or 19 when she was in that role) would have looked good dressed in a dress or skirt and go-go or knee-high boots.