Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Lifetime Site / Lifetime Schedule / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

The Office Scores on Comedy Central; The Tick Gets 2nd Season on Amazon
Comedy Central Picks Up The Jim Jefferies Show for Second Season; Remembering Donnelly Rhodes from Soap
TCA 2018 Winter Press Tour: More Cable, Crackle, Paramount Network and More
TCA 2018 Winter Press Tour: Cable Roundup of IFC, AMC, Hallmark, Pop and More
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of January 15, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: American Dad Gets Two Season Renewal at TBS; New Details About Roseanne Reboot
Fri-Yay: What Does the Future Hold for Fox Sitcoms?; TCA 2018 Winter Press Tour: TBS and HBO
Hulu Orders 2nd Season of Future Man; Michael J. Fox Heads Back to Politics on TV
TCA 2018 Winter Press Tour: NBC; grown-ish Premieres Strong on Freeform
TCA 2018 Winter Press Tour: ABC, Includes ABC 2018 Midseason Schedule; Goldbergs Spin-off Pilot Airs Jan. 24
TCA 2018 Winter Press Tour: CBS, CW and Showtime; Remembering Jerry Van Dyke

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December/January)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
01/09 - Girlfriends - The Complete Series
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 02-19-2017, 06:08 PM   #91
James T
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolson82
Just saw this case for the first time in a long time on Amazon. I can't believe UM fell for the snuff film nonsense. This is the kind of hysteria that led British MPs to think horror movies needed to be banned during the Video Nasties craze. Speaking of which, does anyone remember the horror movie "Snuff", which was just a repackaged Charles Manson movie (which was excruciatingly boring) that had some awful looking effects added at the end to make it look like the actors were being killed on camera. It had the tagline "A film that could only be made in South America where life is cheap" on the coverbox.

Anyway, I just can't believe police officials would think snuff films were real. Perhaps, as others have suggested in this thread, it was just a ploy to try and get some leads.

You have to remember that this segment aired in 1989, long before the internet was around to dispel these myths & people including law enforcement in most areas likely believed garbage like Geraldo's laughable Satanic show the year before, SRA, the church etc. There are still groups out there promoting SRA to health professionals, care workers & law enforcement.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:31 AM   #92
UMlover
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooksLikeCRicci
I understand what you're saying, but Satanic cults were the "hot topic" of the 1980's... of course they were going to play it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justins5256
Yeah, especially after that Geraldo special.

Oh man...that Geraldo special.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:06 PM   #93
UMlover
Occasional Poster

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...-HAS-DONE.html

This article was written just after the Rachael Runyan segment was filmed--the Unsolved Mysteries crew recounts "This is the most difficult story our crew has ever had to do." Very interesting.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:10 PM   #94
James T
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMlover
Oh man...that Geraldo special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Urqiqjp4SMc
Old 01-13-2018, 06:10 PM   #95
WishfulDreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMlover
https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...-HAS-DONE.html

This article was written just after the Rachael Runyan segment was filmed--the Unsolved Mysteries crew recounts "This is the most difficult story our crew has ever had to do." Very interesting.
I don't recall ever seeing a reenactment of the abduction. I'm wondering if it was either cut out for syndication or just entirely.

In any case, this is one of the most appalling crimes featured on the show. More recent articles have mentioned something about a suspect, so I'm hoping it will be solved soon.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:46 PM   #96
dynoguy88

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishfulDreamer
I don't recall ever seeing a reenactment of the abduction. I'm wondering if it was either cut out for syndication or just entirely.

There was no reenactment of the abduction, of the parents finding out of the abduction and of the discovery of the body...nothing. There was also no interviews with Rachel's mother or of her two brothers who witnessed the abduction.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:50 PM   #97
WishfulDreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynoguy88
There was no reenactment of the abduction, of the parents finding out of the abduction and of the discovery of the body...nothing. There was also no interviews with Rachel's mother or of her two brothers who witnessed the abduction.

If anything, this would have been one of the easiest segments to film because it was so short. It just stated what law enforcement knew. It showed a picture of the note, a picture of Rachel and that was about it.
Okay, then the copies I've seen are the full segment. I guess they filmed it and then just decided to cut it (the abduction I mean), based on the article UMlover posted. Perhaps Rachel's family found it too painful to be interviewed on camera, too.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:02 PM   #98
dynoguy88

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishfulDreamer
Okay, then the copies I've seen are the full segment. I guess they filmed it and then just decided to cut it (the abduction I mean), based on the article UMlover posted. Perhaps Rachel's family found it too painful to be interviewed on camera, too.

I can see why they probably decided against showing a reenactment of the abduction given Rachel's age. It's kind of like the Nyleen Kay Marshall segment where the scene does a fade away transition before the man can reach her. It's got to be really difficult to instruct a 3 year old actress to portray the terrifying ordeal of being taken by a stranger.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:50 AM   #99
UMlover
Occasional Poster

This one really does keep me up at night. What's so frustrating is the difficulty in sorting through leads to find out what's legit and what's a hoax.

Take the note in the restroom for instance--Satanic Panic was larely debunked, yes, but the thought of not following up on a (potentially) correct lead is harrowing. But you know, it could be a false lead I guess.

I can't decide what's more disturbing--murdering a 3-year-old girl or taking false credit for the act.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:51 AM   #100
James T
Forum Regular

People regularly make false claims-attention seekers, sad people who think they are being funny or clever-it often happens when there is a renewed police appeal for information in the media. This individual provided no new clues/stuff that the cops had withheld from the public, just some graffiti ala the stuff with Johnny Gosch. The cops have to follow up, but unless somebody else saw the person doing it then they have nothing to go on.