Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat > Chit Chat - Archives

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 17, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: The Conners Second Season Looking Likely; Apple to Produce New Peanuts Content
Fri-Yay: Where Will The Good Place Go Next?; Everything's Gonna Be Okay at Freeform
ABC Mid-Season 2019 Schedule; Amy Sedaris Laffer Returns Feb. 19 on truTV
ABC Picks Up Comedy Starring Lake Bell, Dax Shepard; EPIX Dark Comedy Gets 3rd Season
Lifetime Brings in the Stars for Winter Movies; Celebs Line Up for CBS All Access' Twilight Zone
HBO Comedy Crashing Returns for Season 3; Nick Sitcom Starts Jan. 5

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection Alice - The Complete Eighth Season Step by Step - The Complete Third Season

10/02 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 6th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 7th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 8th Season
10/02 - Ghosted - The Complete First Season
10/02 - The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One / Volume Two
10/02 - Police Squad! - TV and Movie Collection
10/02 - Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection
10/16 - Community - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/23 - Alice - The Complete Eighth Season
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Two
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Three
10/31 - The Bad News Bears - The Complete Series - All 26 Episodes
11/01 - Episodes - Season 5
11/05 - Robin Williams - Comic Genius (includes Mork & Mindy)
11/06 - American Dad! - Volume 13
11/16 - Man with a Plan - Season One
11/20 - Step by Step - The Complete Third Season
11/27 - What I Like About You - The Complete Third Season
12/04 - Family Guy - Season Sixteen
12/04 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Sixth Season
12/18 - Our Cartoon President - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-27-2008, 05:02 PM   #76
Ireneparalegal
LEGAL SPICE ;)
Forum Celebrity

Location: OXNARD, CA - WHERE THE DALLAS COWBOYS TRAIN & PRACTICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice
It wasn't that. It's in the link I gave TJL. The FCC is understaffed and outgunned by the networks, so some things take a long time.
Wow, that really is a long time though don't you think? I mean, I am all for fining the networks, that is not the problem I have. It's just once the FCC get their act together, I believe there should be some limitation on WHEN the networks can be fined. If they are back-logged and haven't been able to get to the issues at hand, fine, no problem, but at what point is there a limitation? I would hate to see the FCC waste time on a nude scene or bad language from a program or movie that aired TEN YEARS ago and someone who was bothered by it then can now complain.

Am I making sense here Janice?
Old 01-27-2008, 05:38 PM   #77
Janice
No one gets out alive.
Administrator
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Winchester
am I the only person who thinks the FCC and people of the sort worry too much about sex while violence gets a free pass? I noticed nobody responded earlier. Personally, I think people are so worried about what nudity will do to a kid when I think graphic violence is probably even worse for a child to see since it numbs them.
There was an entire conversation on this thread about violence. Read the thread. You came in late. As for me, excessive violence or sex has no place on network television.
Quote:
^ an example of what I mean was right after the 9-11 attack. I seriously heard with my own ears a person say that the footage of the attack that constantly aired was "bad ass" and reminded him of something you'd see in a big budget action movie.

Can you believe that ****? This is what you get for conditioning children that violence is just fine but sex is a no-no.
Who said that?

I remember a newscaster saying that it looked like something out of a disaster movie, (or something like that), and it did. Those poor people, covered in white debris, running from the rolling cloud of smoke and debris, did look like something out of a big budget action film. I never heard a bad ass remark. You can't build an argument over the remark of a moron.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:51 PM   #78
Janice
No one gets out alive.
Administrator
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireneparalegal
Wow, that really is a long time though don't you think? I mean, I am all for fining the networks, that is not the problem I have. It's just once the FCC get their act together, I believe there should be some limitation on WHEN the networks can be fined. If they are back-logged and haven't been able to get to the issues at hand, fine, no problem, but at what point is there a limitation? I would hate to see the FCC waste time on a nude scene or bad language from a program or movie that aired TEN YEARS ago and someone who was bothered by it then can now complain.

Am I making sense here Janice?
Like the article stated, the FCC is outgunned by the network's legal teams. Regarding the NYPD Blue case, who knows how long it's been in the works, and they finally decided to lower the boom. The infamous wardrobe malfunction battle is still raging in the courts, last I read. I don't think anything is going back TEN years, with the FCC, but who knows.

Legal issues drag on forever. You should understand that better than anyone. Look at Anna Nicole's case with her rich elderly husband. The case outlived Anna and her husband's late son, and we're never going to hear the end of it. There are plenty of cases that take forever and a day. The wheels of justice turn very slowly. ABC is going to fight this fine, so count on another three years, at least. I'm not surprised or even bothered by it.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:44 PM   #79
Ireneparalegal
LEGAL SPICE ;)
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Like the article stated, the FCC is outgunned by the network's legal teams. Regarding the NYPD Blue case, who knows how long it's been in the works, and they finally decided to lower the boom. The infamous wardrobe malfunction battle is still raging in the courts, last I read. I don't think anything is going back TEN years, with the FCC, but who knows.

Legal issues drag on forever. You should understand that better than anyone. Look at Anna Nicole's case with her rich elderly husband. The case outlived Anna and her husband's late son, and we're never going to hear the end of it. There are plenty of cases that take forever and a day. The wheels of justice turn very slowly. ABC is going to fight this fine, so count on another three years, at least. I'm not surprised or even bothered by it.
I am not into the FCC and other behind the scenes stuff as far as the legal wranglings of networks. I had no idea that it was similar to taking a matter to court. I assumed that when the FCC received a complaint or they themselves found something that crossed the border of indecency, they had the power to do what they had to do, no ifs, ands or buts abt it. Which is why I am confused abt this whole issue. Had I known all that I would not have inquired. I also didn't know abt the Janet Jackson wardrobe malfunction still being an issue. I didn't follow it simply because I thought that issue was dead already. That is why I am confused.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:39 PM   #80
Janice
No one gets out alive.
Administrator
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
I am not into the FCC and other behind the scenes stuff as far as the legal wranglings of networks. I had no idea that it was similar to taking a matter to court. I assumed that when the FCC received a complaint or they themselves found something that crossed the border of indecency, they had the power to do what they had to do, no ifs, ands or buts abt it. Which is why I am confused abt this whole issue. Had I known all that I would not have inquired. I also didn't know abt the Janet Jackson wardrobe malfunction still being an issue. I didn't follow it simply because I thought that issue was dead already. That is why I am confused.
I know about as much as you on these matters, Irene, so I'm sorry that I can't be that helpful. I've sort of had a crash course, of sorts, lol. You know how it goes when you research a lot of stuff all at once, during a discussion like this. From what I'm getting, when a fine is issued, the network (or radio station) can pay it or fight it. If they fight it, it winds up in court and can be there for years. That's the story with the wardrobe malfunction, and why CBS is still in court. They're fighting it.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:44 PM   #81
Ireneparalegal
LEGAL SPICE ;)
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
I know about as much as you on these matters, Irene, so I'm sorry that I can't be that helpful. I've sort of had a crash course, of sorts, lol. You know how it goes when you research a lot of stuff all at once, during a discussion like this. From what I'm getting, when a fine is issued, the network (or radio station) can pay it or fight it. If they fight it, it winds up in court and can be there for years. That's the story with the wardrobe malfunction, and why CBS is still in court. They're fighting it.
Ah, I see. That makes sense. Like I said, I thought once the FCC levied a fine, that was it. Learn something new everyday. Thanx.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:13 PM   #82
Adamantium
TVAdam No More

To recap:
I guess NYPD Blue was able to show glimpses of bare butts (both male and female) throughout it's run. And this was a time when they probably felt they needed to push it a little further. And while it worked for me, and many other guys out there, it was still inappropriate for network television and many years later, they were fined for it (or might be fined for it).

To Charlotte Ross,
LOOK WHAT YOUR BARE BUTT HAS CAUSED! The FCC has come down on ABC, and we're on our 6th page of this thread. I hope you're happy Charlotte!

To Myself:
Calm down, Adam. People are gonna think you're strange.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:49 PM   #83
Ireneparalegal
LEGAL SPICE ;)
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamantium
To recap:
I guess NYPD Blue was able to show glimpses of bare butts (both male and female) throughout it's run. And this was a time when they probably felt they needed to push it a little further. And while it worked for me, and many other guys out there, it was still inappropriate for network television and many years later, they were fined for it (or might be fined for it).

To Charlotte Ross,
LOOK WHAT YOUR BARE BUTT HAS CAUSED! The FCC has come down on ABC, and we're on our 6th page of this thread. I hope you're happy Charlotte!

To Myself:
Calm down, Adam. People are gonna think you're strange.

I thought Janet Jackson was to blame for this? Didn't her boob get this whole ball started?
Old 01-28-2008, 01:54 AM   #84
Adamantium
TVAdam No More

Quote:

I thought Janet Jackson was to blame for this? Didn't her boob get this whole ball started?
Maybe so. I just like talking about Charlotte Ross's bare butt. It's fun for me.

Plus, I was watching NYPD Blue the night this episode aired and I saw the butt scene "live". So I feel special having seen that controversial scene when it first aired. Whereas with the Janet Jackson thing, I didn't see that until it was replayed on various programs.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:55 PM   #85
bingbangbaby
I see you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Winchester
am I the only person who thinks the FCC and people of the sort worry too much about sex while violence gets a free pass? I noticed nobody responded earlier. Personally, I think people are so worried about what nudity will do to a kid when I think graphic violence is probably even worse for a child to see since it numbs them.
Well I agree with you but I'll be damned if I'm going to bother stating an opinion on this site again. Nobody is going to respond to you, Dean Winchester, because everybody already knows what I didn't realize. I apologize to Janice for apparently causing her to spontaneously combust and I apologize to anyone else I offended for failing to realize that this isn't really the place for opinions and disagreeing or analyzing and expecting a somewhat reasonable discussion to come of it. I had no idea you all were wound so tightly and I guess analysis doesn't mix with that. And I apologize for thinking a smilie was just a smilie.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:15 PM   #86
Janice
No one gets out alive.
Administrator
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingbangbaby
Well I agree with you but I'll be damned if I'm going to bother stating an opinion on this site again. Nobody is going to respond to you, Dean Winchester, because everybody already knows what I didn't realize. I apologize to Janice for apparently causing her to spontaneously combust and I apologize to anyone else I offended for failing to realize that this isn't really the place for opinions and disagreeing or analyzing and expecting a somewhat reasonable discussion to come of it. I had no idea you all were wound so tightly and I guess analysis doesn't mix with that. And I apologize for thinking a smilie was just a smilie.
Awww, the victim mentality. I was having what I thought was a reasonable discussion with you, when you started acting like a petulant child, laughing at me, Wowing , trying to make me look like a fool, as if had stated something terrible. If that's your idea of reasonable discussion, then I'll pass. I call you on it, and it's my fault. Spontaneously combust? How about you lighten up on the dramatic hyperbole.

You don't have to carry Dean's water for him either. I explained to him why, at least I wasn't responding to him, that a conversation on violence had already taken place. So, you can drop the act of trying to drag him in your case of, WE WERE MISTREATED. Everyone's opinon is welcome here, but when someone laughs at me, continuously in one post, I'm going to speak up. I would expect anyone to. Nobody was mistreated here, and no rules were broken. People have a right to defend themselves, and that includes me. Debates get heated. Only the strong survive.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:44 PM   #87
Mr. Television
15 Years at Sitcoms Online
Forum Legend

Quote:
What are you talking about? The only one having a fit is you. Nobody said violence on TV wasn't a problem. You brought up L&O SVU as being violent and I told you that most of the violence on that show and the other L&O shows take place off screen. Instead of giving more examples you come back here and cry. You say you don't like all the sex on TV but you don't act like it. You seem to be deverting attention from it by going after all the violence. Usually when people are losing a debate they yell and storm off and that's what you have done. As for the smilie...they are used in many different ways.... Yea a smilie is just a smilie , until you've got someone laughing over and over at you. There's a difference between laughing with someone and laughing at someone. We all analyze and debate here with few problems. Disagreements are bound to happen, but there's no need to slam Janice. She's not bothering anyone, and she's one of the fairest and best debaters here. She's not a dirty fighter. I enjoy reading her debate threads.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:12 PM   #88
bingbangbaby
I see you!!

Quote:
Nobody was mistreated here,
I agree, including YOU.

You can lighten up now. I can appreciate your perception of what you believe happened here without anymore verbal machine gunning in my direction. I get it. You deal with a lot of ugly situations as a moderator here and you have to get nasty sometimes. That's fine, but this time you misfired, beginning all the way back there with that first reply you made to me. Something I said in expressing my opinion got misconstrued by you and that's all. After that I responded in a heated way to your heated response. You as a moderator set the climate here, and this one belongs to you just as much as it belongs to me. Virtually nothing of what you said in your last few posts was my intention at all, nor do I deserve all that name calling, and if you reread my initial post you'll see that I was agreeing with you.
Contrary to what you think, I didn't come here to personally pick a fight with you or make you look like a fool or even to speak with you at all. I came here to join in this discussion. I didn't ask for this, there's no reason for this, and it is my humble suggestion that you might have less trouble on this board if you dealt out less negative energy yourself.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:55 PM   #89
Janice
No one gets out alive.
Administrator
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
I agree, including YOU.

You can lighten up now. I can appreciate your perception of what you believe happened here without anymore verbal machine gunning in my direction. I get it. You deal with a lot of ugly situations as a moderator here and you have to get nasty sometimes. That's fine, but this time you misfired, beginning all the way back there with that first reply you made to me. Something I said in expressing my opinion got misconstrued by you and that's all. After that I responded in a heated way to your heated response. You as a moderator set the climate here, and this one belongs to you just as much as it belongs to me. Virtually nothing of what you said in your last few posts was my intention at all, nor do I deserve all that name calling, and if you reread my initial post you'll see that I was agreeing with you.
Contrary to what you think, I didn't come here to personally pick a fight with you or make you look like a fool or even to speak with you at all. I came here to join in this discussion. I didn't ask for this, there's no reason for this, and it is my humble suggestion that you might have less trouble on this board if you dealt out less negative energy yourself.
Wow, a complete psychological evaluation by you. I'll send you my address, so you'll know where to send the bill, NOT.

This has nothing to do with my being a moderator. I wasn't warning you, or anything moderator related. I only get nasty when I'm treated nasty. You get what you give with me, always. You fired the first shot. I haven't called you any names either. I get along with mostly everyone on this site, and have many, many friends. I don't set the climate here either. All I do is make sure that TJ's rules are followed. It begins and ends there. Verbal machine gunning in your direction? More whining from the dish-it-out-but-can't-take-it crowd, but you sure love that hyperbole. You're the one that needs to lighten up. I've been having a blast on this thread, with the exception of your whining and nasty posts. Past situations have nothing to do with this, and I know what happened. Anyone with eyes can see what happened. You messed with the wrong person, and that has nothing to do with my status as a moderator, so stop playing the moderator card. It's not a winning hand anymore.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:03 PM   #90
Mr. Television
15 Years at Sitcoms Online
Forum Legend

Quote:
I agree, including YOU.

and anything else....

Talk about a broken record. I need a couple of aspirins after reading your posts. Give it a rest, will you. You have totally hijacked this thread. Everyone was having a nice discussion until you started throwing insults. Look you made a very nasty post, and you're trying to turn it around and make it about Janice's moderating. Give me a break! She devotes more to this site than most anyone. You need to get a clue before you start making claims that you know nothing about.