Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat > Chit Chat - Music
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of May 28, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: NBC Plans Next Live Musical; Step by Step Finally Coming to DVD
Young & Hungry Returns for Final Season; FX Renews Baskets
Nickelodeon Gets Norman Lear Project; 20th Anniversary Marathon of Sex and the City on E!
Netflix Series Big Mouth Adds Stars; Alexa and Carlos PenaVega Return to Hallmark Channel for Film
The Middle Marathon on Freeform Today for Finale Day; She-Ra Returns with Sitcom Voice Cast
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of May 21, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Looking Back at the Upfronts; Fresh Off the Boat and Last Man Standing DVDs Arriving on Tuesday
Fri-Yay: How Did Sitcoms Fare at the Upfronts?

New on DVD/Blu-ray (March/April/May)

Atlanta - The Complete First Season Curb Your Enthusiasm - The Complete Ninth Season One Day at a Time - Season Two Perfect Strangers  - The Complete Third Season Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Final (Eighth) Season

03/06 - Atlanta - The Complete First Season
03/06 - Curb Your Enthusiasm - The Complete Ninth Season
03/13 - The New Adventures of Old Christine - The Complete First Season
03/27 - One Day at a Time - Season Two
04/03 - Ballers - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/03 - 90's Sitcom (Just Shoot Me!/The Larry Sanders Show/Wings) Starter Set - Season 1 & 2 Bundle
04/10 - Vice Principals - The Compelte Series
04/17 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Third Season
05/08 - Dear White People - Season 1
05/08 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Final (Eighth) Season
05/29 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 1
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 01:19 AM   #121
ABlairican Pie
Forum Celebrity
Viking metal rules. \m/ \m/

Location: Celebrating the holiest holiday of the year, Monday, June 6, as we honor Slayer and all metal, with plenty of pizza, beer, and sacrificial goats. Life is good.
Oh No Cannibal Corpse--Vile

Cannibal Corpse's 1996 album Vile featured horrific, pathetic lyrics describing torture, dismemberment, and all things disgusting and morbid. With songs like "Devoured By Vermin", "Mummified In Barbed Wire", and "Puncture Wound Massacre", there was no question that the band had topped Slayer in the shock department, and had every reason to cause Bob Dole concern. The band had been banned from playing in countries such as Germany and other European nations. The band was about the most successful of the death metal genre, with over a million copies of their albums sold without airplay or MTV. To their credit, they appeared on "Ace Ventura: Pet Detective", but their lyrics remained as obscene as ever. Sexual violence was also a recurring theme. The band members found nothing wrong with the topics they sang about, which was a rather sad commentary on pop culture which found tittilation with themes of death, decay, and dehumanization.

The album cover below is a tamer version of their 1996 album:
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2005, 01:46 AM   #122
ABlairican Pie
Forum Celebrity

Location: Celebrating the holiest holiday of the year, Monday, June 6, as we honor Slayer and all metal, with plenty of pizza, beer, and sacrificial goats. Life is good.
Cool Carcass--Swansong

In related metal news, British grindcore pioneers Carcass had broken up the year before, but released a *posthumous* album, Swansong. The band had called it quits under speculation that the band had abandoned their trademark fast breakneck riffs and embraced more 80's melodic thrash, in other words, the band had regressed, in many fans' eyes (and ears). Guitarists Mike Amott and Bill Steer went on to pursue different bands, one of which had success in a few years.

The album titles are not typical of the "medical-textbook" metal that grindcore employed. The album featured tracks such as "Keep On Rotting In the Free World", "Tomorrow Belongs to Nobody", "Room 101" and "Generation Hexed", all generally songs about societal ruin and spiritual isolation.

The song below has letters x'd out not because of profanity, but that the very idea that rock and roll could and should change the world was a profane idea itself.

R**k the Vote

Hands In Another's Pocket,
The Bed They Make,
Is Not The One In Which They Lie,
The Same Old Faces,
The Same Old Establishment,
The Same Old Lies,
Cross Your "X",
It's Your Only Voice,
Do As You're Told,
Don't Rock The Boat,
And Buy What You're Sold,

Believe The Lie,
The Line That You Toe,
Doing Fine,
If You Just Do As You're Told,

No Dissident Voices,
The Faces Merge,
Are One, Absolute,
A Comfortable, Privileged,
White Over Belly,
Revolution,
No Threat, No Change,
No Gain, Just Pain,
The Same Old Scheme,
No Hope, No Choice,
No Future, No Voice,
This Is No Pipe Dream,
All Is Not What It Seems,

Believe The Lie,
The Line That You Toe,
You'll Do Just Fine,
You Believe The Lie,
The Line That You Toe,
Doing Fine,
Is This Rock'n'roll Or A Form Of State Control?

Is This Really Rock'n'roll?
Or A Form Of State Control?
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2005, 10:49 AM   #123
ABlairican Pie
Forum Celebrity

Red face Carcass--Necrotism - Descanting the Insalubrious

Carcass' 1991 album Necrotism - Descanting the Insalubrious was a defining moment in the grindcore/goregrind genre. Judging from the album song titles such as "Inpropagation", "Corporeal Jigsore Quandary",
"Symposium Of Sickness", "Pedigree Butchery", "Incarnate Solvent Abuse"
"Carneous Cacoffiny", "Lavaging Expectorate Of Lysergide Composition", and
"Forensic Clinicism / The Sanguine Article", it gave the impression that the band were former medical students, when in fact the band used such titles to convey a sense of dehumanization by science. Other quaint themes were found on the song "Pedigree Butchery", where the lyrics suggested dead humans be turned into pet food! "Impropagation" pondered the idea of human remains being turned into fertilizer, and on "Carneous Cacoffiny"
(a play on the word cacaphony), human cadavers could be used as musical instruments! What imaginations! Soylent Green, anyone?

Goregrind is a sub-genre of the music style grindcore, which is related to music styles such as death metal, thrash metal, and crust punk. The main features that musically distinguish goregrind from grindcore can be narrowed down to two main aspects: 1) The use of an octave shifter on the vocals, creating a unique low pitch gurgle texture, similar to the effects used in horror movies for a possessed, demonic or undead character. 2) More of a reliance on metal influence, or more specifically, in later years, on a primatively constructed aspect of the downtuned textures frequently used in Death Metal, which had, in many cases, taken the place of the crust influence on its grindcore bretheren.

Its beginnings can be placed with the band Carcass who began their career in the late 1980s. The genre has, however, changed from the original archetype offered by Carcass, who were influenced by the hardcore punk and thrash metal popular in the 1980s underground scene. Carcass used pitch shifters, medical imagery and a host of other 'visceral' associations when they originally conceived the band, a deviation from the frequently political or left wing lyrics commonly used in the hardcore and grindcore scenes. An example of their lyrics can be seen below:

"An abrasive concoction is formed in my throat,
Methylated bile, jaundiced kidneys bloat,
Tumorous stomach, coughing up gall,
The thorax infected with furuncles and boils"

The band's other lyrics were similarly awash with complicated medical terms and stomach-churning bodily functions. Until their middle period where more focus on technicality and heavy metal with a variety of other styles, changed their sound.

The doctor will see you now.
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2005, 11:13 AM   #124
ABlairican Pie
Forum Celebrity

Red face Carcass

If Carcass is a tasteless name for a band, here are some charming names of actual grindcore or goregrind bands:

Amoebic Dysentery
Animals Killing People
Anorrectal Protuberance
Autophagia
Basket of Death from Japan
Catasexual Urge Motivation
Dead Infection
Decomposition
Decomposing Serenity
Destined to Fester
Exhumed
Feculent Goretomb
Flesh Grinder
General Surgery
Gore
Gruesome Stuff Relish
Haemorrhage
Last Days Of Humanity
Libido Airbag Techno-goregrind
Lymphatic Phlegm
Microphallus
MonoClarific
Necrocannibalistic vomitorium
Neuro-Visceral Exhumation or NVE
Paracoccidioidomicosisproctitissarcomucosis
Regurgitate
Sublime Cadaveric Decomposition or SCD
The County Medical Examiners

Carcass may have had a more specific purpose in writing explicit medical lyrics than for mere shock value. Much of the themes promoted vegetarianism
and animal rights causes, among others.

Carcass:
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2005, 11:49 AM   #125
ABlairican Pie
Forum Celebrity

Red face Cryptopsy--None So Vile

Another band hailing from Quebec other than Voivod was Cryptopsy, whose 1996 album None So Vile was a defining moment for death metal. The band featured Lord Worm on vocals, Jon Levasseur on lead and rhythm guitars, Eric Langlois on bass, and Flo Mounier on drums and backing vocals, but were about to undergo major lineup changes. The music was rather exceptional, the drumming was quite powerful, and the guitars were blisteringly fast, but the vocals were garbled, raspy, and resembled Cookie Monster committing major spewage. The lyrics were typical happy thoughts of death, darkness and blasphemy.

This concludes the "3 C's" of 90's death metal.

Later pic with five members:
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2005, 12:11 PM   #126
ABlairican Pie
Forum Celebrity

Cool King's X--Ear Candy

Going back to our other favorite power trio, King's X released one of their finest efforts, Ear Candy. The band was full-on into their psychedelic Beatle-esque mode, but they did not sound at all derivative or as artsy as their previous albums. It was a purely musically honest album, but while critics raved about how good the band was, the album died commercially and went out out of print. The record label did not give it that badly needed push and dropped them (apparently they were still looking for the next Crayonbox from Seattle. ). It seemed that the big breakthrough would never come for the band who deserved to make it. Their influence and fan base covered many bands and artists from Dimebag Darrell to Pearl Jam.

The Train

Step up and step aboard,
Your seat is to the left.
Leave all you bags behind
And tighten up you metal belt

Chorus:
Last time aboard the train that
goes around the world.
Last time aboard the train
goes around the world.
Around the world

You leave us all behind,
You start to feel the pain
(Last time aboard the train...)
Don't try to take the ride,
Sit back and let it rain
(Last time aboard the train...)

Chorus:
goes around the world.
Last time about the train that goes........

(Flying)
Around the world
(Flying)
(Flying)
Around the world
(Flying)

Solo

Chorus:
goes around the world
(Last time aboard the train)
goes around the world
lives inside my head
I'm going 'round the world.
Around the world.

Attached Images

Old 11-25-2005, 12:24 PM   #127
ABlairican Pie
Forum Celebrity

Cool King's X

Sometime

Sometime, I want to give
Sometime, I want to take
Sometime, I want to run
Sometime, I want to stay

Chorus:
Sometime
Sometime
Sometime
Sometime

Sometime, I want to love
Sometime, I want to hate
Sometime, I want to build
Sometime, I want to break

Chorus:
Sometime
Sometime
Sometime
Sometime

Solo

Sometime, I want to live
Sometime, I want to die
Sometime, I want to believe
Sometime, I want to get high and fly

Chorus:
Sometime
Sometime
Sometime
Sometime
(repeat)

Doug Pinnick:
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2005, 12:26 PM   #128
ABlairican Pie
Forum Celebrity

Cool King's X

(Thinking and Wondering) What I'm Gonna Do

So would you take me for a ride
And let me know that I'm alive
Oh sometimes I wish I never
Had an answer or a clue to anything

Chorus:
All this wondering
And this thinking and wondering
What I'm gonna do

So many reasons to believe
I am so easily deceived
Oh, sometimes I wish I never

Chorus:
All this wondering
What I'm gonna do

Solo

So would you take me for a ride
And let me know I'm still alive
Oh, sometimes I wish I never

Chorus:
All this wondering
What I'm gonna do

Ty Tabor:
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2005, 12:29 PM   #129
ABlairican Pie
Forum Celebrity

Cool King's X

Mississippi Moon

Today I walked
Today I ran
Today I tried to figure who I am
Yesterday we played
In our waterfall
Dancing with the summer
Laughing at it all

Chorus:
Over the Mississippi moon
Have to make myself remember
It's something that I used to know
Got to get myself together
I've started seeing blue and gold

Today I flew
Over the hill
Reaching for that feeling
That one more thrill
Yesterday the same
Tomorrow never knows
I carry all my life
Wherever I go

Chorus:

Ohhh, ohhh, over
Ohhh, ohhh, over

Solo

Chorus:
(blue and gold)
(blue and gold)

Jerry Gaskill:
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2005, 01:02 PM   #130
ABlairican Pie
Forum Celebrity

Cool Alex Lifeson--Victor

Before the release of Rush's Test For Echo album, guitarist Alex Lifeson recorded his own solo album with the name Victor while the band was on hiatus. Featuring the lead vocalist Edwin from the Canadian band I Mother Earth, the Victor album dealt with topics such as marital discord and breakdown of relationships. Lifeson took the name at random from a book of writings and stories by poet W. H. Auden and came up with the story entitled "Victor", which told the tragic tale of a man who was deliriously in love with his wife that when she became extremely unfaithful, his
jealousy erupted into a rage to where he murdered her. Lifeson was so shocked at the denouement of this tale that he began to write songs contemplating about how such a deep love could go horribly wrong. Life and love apparently not all they were cracked up to be.

The album featured such songs as the radio hit "Promise", and "Shut Up Shuttin' Up" (taken from the Bugs Bunny cartoon where a gangster urges the Wascally Wabbit to keep silent--twice), where band members' wives prattle about the downside of being married to rock musicians.

Promise

One more glass
A million more days
One more smoke
Release me from my ways
Break the mould
Break youre back
Break the promise you made
Seek the world now
Don't look back
Make you're promise today
Leave the safety
Leave this life
Leave before it's too late
It's your only chance
Don't pretend romance
Keep the new promise you made
What if I wasn't so scared ?
Why can't I be brave ?
I've forgotten all that we shared
You can't give me what I crave
One more glass
Take another pill
One more day
I feel like I could kill
What if you let me walk away ?
You think it's me who needs to be saved
Your lifea tragic, self-centered play
You never gave me what I craved
What I want
You can never give
What you want
My dead life to live
Break the mould
Break youre back
Seek the world now
Don't look back
Leave the safety
Leave this life
It's your only chance
Don't pretend romance
Break the mould
Break youre back
Seek the world now
Don't look back
Leave the safety
Leave this life
Seek the world now
Don't look back
Make your promise today

Attached Images

Old 11-25-2005, 02:12 PM   #131
ABlairican Pie
Forum Celebrity

Cool Bruce Dickinson--Skunkworks

In 1996, former Iron Maiden vocalist Bruce Dickinson released Skunkworks, which was originally intended to be the name of his new band with guitarist Alex Dickson (no relation), but the record company
insisted that he release it under his own name. The title of the album was a reference to Lockheed aircraft equipment, as aviation was becoming a huge passion for Bruce. The album, however, was unlike anything he had ever done with Maiden--it sounded much more like current Rush than anything else. But this was at this point where Bruce's muse lie, he was in control of his own solo career, and was eager to distance himself from his past in heavy metal. Steve Harris and the rest of Maiden were rather preturbed at his departure three years before and were not on the best of terms with him, but felt they could still manage just fine with Blaze. But many fans found this to be the most curious release by Bruce. The album featured songs such as "Space Race", "Back From the Edge", "Inertia", and "Inside the Machine".

Back From the Edge

A silent river flowing black
strange attractions no turning back
present danger I recall
that pins my senses to the wall
back from the edge where the darkness has fled
and I'm swimming
in light and I'm falling... falling from the edge...
back from the edge
I fell from grace and that's a fact
still have urges I fight back
cold decisions wear me thin
kill yourself begin again
back from the fear
that you're not worth a damn
throw yourself
into light and the rush as you
sign from the edge...
back from the edge...
now and then I wonder where the faces
from my childhood have gone
like father like son your bones it lives on glowing shadows
back from the edge

Attached Images

Old 11-25-2005, 06:06 PM   #132
ABlairican Pie
Forum Celebrity

Cool Lollapalooza 1996

Lollapalooza 1996 was a turning point for the whole alternative music festival.
When Perry Farrell learned that none other than the mightiest metal band on the planet METALLICA was headlining the main stage, he dissociated himself from the festival in disgust. The event he had created had gotten out of his control, and a major corporate band was the main draw (but wasn't pretty much all alternative corporate at this point anyway?). But the festival was not all about metal or alternative, there were even country-rock artists as well, including a few more surprises. It was also the first time a third stage was added.

Sadly, it was the last year that the Ramones would be playing. Lollapalooza was going the be their last hurrah.

Main Stage: Metallica, Soundgarden, Cocteau Twins, Waylon Jennings, Cheap Trick, Violent Femmes, The Tea Party, Wu Tang Clan, Rage Against the Machine, Steve Earle, Devo, The Ramones, Rancid, Shaolin Monks, Screaming Trees, Psychotica

Side Stage: Beth Hart Band, Girls Against Boys, Ben Folds Five, Ruby, Cornershop, You Am I, Soul Coughing, Sponge, The Melvins, Satchel, Jonny Polonsky, Fireside

Indie Stage: Chune, Moonshake, Lutefisk, Capsize 7, The Cows, Long Fin Killie, Thirty Ought Six, Varnaline, Crumb

Liz Frazier of the Cocteau Twins; Lollapalooza photo composite; Psychotica at a signing; Beth Hart performing:
Attached Images

Old 11-26-2005, 12:17 AM   #133
ABlairican Pie
Forum Celebrity

Red face Lollapalooza 1996

Kim Thayil and the other members of Soundgarden, who were second to Metallica in headlining, noticed something very odd about Metallica's entourage. Thayil was put off by Metallica having a sort of sealed-off "camp", as if no one else could get in and hang with them. This was totally not in keeping with the spirit of Lollapalooza, which was based on mutual respect and cameraderie. There were no egos, no "I'm-bigger-than-thou" attitudes. But it was very disturbing that Metallica, the band which prided itself on being a band of "dudes" who got along with even the lowliest of fans, barricaded themselves like rich rock stars and posting beefed-up security that kept even established fellow musicians from even entering into their circle. It was one thing that Metallica was no longer the band of longhaired characters in torn jeans from Norwalk to the Bay Area, but their attitude of being some sort of rawk royalty was very galling. The members of Soundgarden were very uncomfortable with all the star hierarchy.

Attached Images

Old 11-26-2005, 12:26 AM   #134
ABlairican Pie
Forum Celebrity

Cool Lollapalooza 1996

The third photo below features the Tibetan Shaolin Buddhist Monks who were
performing chants onstage. The freedom for Tibet from China's communist rule became a huge cause during this time, from everyone from actor Richard Gere to even the Beastie Boys supporting the nation-within-a-nation.

Screaming Trees' Van Connor:

Rancid's Lars Fredrikson:

Tibetan Shaolin Monks:

Old 11-26-2005, 12:32 AM   #135
ABlairican Pie
Forum Celebrity

Cool Lollapalooza 1996

Below is a shot of Joey Ramone onstage at Lollapalooza. It was ironic that a band as influential as the Ramones probably got some of their largest crowds at their "farewell tour: on the festival, while the band which is credited with inventing punk got so little recognition from the mainstream, even when everything from new wave, alternative and "pop-punk" had become the biggest thing in the world.

Joey Ramone:

Closed Thread